Research Using Defog on Chain Fishing

********************************************************************************************
Hello All!

So chain fishing. It's a subject that has baffled us all since it was first announced as a shiny chaining method in X and Y. Now, over two years later, we're still unsure of how it works. I would like to change this. As a member of the international baccalaureate programme, I am required to perform a mathematical project of epic proportions. The project I have chosen: deriving an equation for incremental probability using chain fishing as a guide. I have chosen chain fishing in an effort to be unique and to assist the pokecommunity as a whole in finally pinning down exactly how chain fishing works.

So for those few who do not know, chain fishing is a way to increase your chances of finding a shiny pokemon by fishing for and catching pokemon in the same spot without performing any other actions. We know that this method increases your chances of finding a shiny each time you reel a pokemon in, but we do not know by how much. Today the quest to discover exactly how it works begins.

What I ask of you is no small task, and I cannot do it alone. It will take the combined efforts of all of us within the community to collect the data I need to derive the equation we all wish to find. If you are willing to help, reply in the following format:

Shiny Charm:
Rod:
Route:
Pokemon in Party:
Number of Casts:
Shiny Found:

In the shiny charm section, denote wether or not you have a shiny charm with "yes" or "no".

Rod is fairly self explanatory. Simply denote which rod you are using.

Route is included for the purpose of being thorough, as is the Shiny Found. Fill these out with the route, city, or town you are in and the shiny pokemon you found.

Pokemon in Party is placed again for two reasons: firstly, to be thorough and secondly because a theory exists that having a shiny pokemon in your party decreases your chances of finding a shiny pokemon. Denote any shiny pokemon with "(S)". For example, Metagross(S).

Number of casts is the most important part of this data collection. If you get the message "nothing seems to be biting", you reel in too fast, or you reel in too slowly, reset your count to zero as these messages break your chain. If you do anything but cast your rod or open your menu, again set your counter to zero. Record the number of casts it took to successfully find a shiny pokemon.

I would like to thank all who decide to participate in this grand feat. I cannot do it without the help of each and every one of you. When I feel I have enough information to determine the equation we are looking for I will post that I have begun the work required. When I finally find it I will share it with you all, of course. You all deserve to share in the fruits of our labor. I will also post my own data, of course, so that others can check my work in the future.

********************************************************************************************
Here's Hoping For the Best,

Rmkendrick or Rakem

**EDIT** Removed an accidental link. Also, if anyone is interested it would help if you would let me know in either a PM or a reply to this thread. Thanks again!

Last edited:
Definitely interested, will start this afternoon. Just a quick question, does changing the type of rod used break the chain? Say I cast the old rod 50 times and then I switch to the good rod, do I need to reset my count?

Definitely interested, will start this afternoon. Just a quick question, does changing the type of rod used break the chain? Say I cast the old rod 50 times and then I switch to the good rod, do I need to reset my count?

No one is certain, but I believe it does. Just to be safe, try to avoid switching rods.

Also is there a certain amount of casts we should at least get to before turning in our data, like how in the egg hatching thread people will do them in say batches of 100?
Nvm re-read the op again

Last edited:
Shiny Charm: Yes
Rod: Super Rod
Route: Ambrette Town
Pokemon in Party: Lileep, Breloom, Garbodor, Slaking, Mew.
Number of Casts: 45
Shiny Found: Relicanth

Rod: Good Rod
Route: Cyllage City
Pokemon in Party: Lileep, Breloom, Garbodor, Slaking, Mew, Relicanth(S).
Number of Casts: 27
Shiny Found: Horsea

Last edited:
Route: Ambrette Town
Pokemon in Party: Lileep, Breloom, Garbodor, Slaking, Mew.
Number of Casts: 45
Shiny Found: Relicanth

Did you only want one set of data per person or would it help to do some more?
More would help a lot! I'm not sure how many people plan on participating so the more the better.

Shiny Charm: No
Route: Lilycove City
Pokemon in Party: Malamar, Tentacruel, Sceptile
Number of Casts: 78
Shiny Found: Wailmer

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)