Other Using move time for prediction

Status
Not open for further replies.
This isnt the most reliable way of determining anything at all. The brain can work incredibly fast, by the time youve read the log/let the animation play out, you should know exactly what you want to do, it doesnt take 10 seconds, hell even 5 seconds, to decide on your move, risky or not. The only time i take longer than that time to make a move is when im doing other shit at the same time or just not in a rush, move time has nothing to do with prediction and is a poor habit to get into.

In a traditional tournament setting (Both players physically present) when you know there's no distractions or anything, then I think this has some merit, but only when the person takes an uncharacteristic amount of time to make a move. And even then, it's easy for a player to dummy you with a bit of time stalling. It can actually work against you just as it works for you.

Players of the calibre to be at the top level (Of any game, not just pkmn) are usually above such tricks anyway :D. The basic idea makes sense but in practice not really...
Sorry to quote a somewhat old post, but that's not true. At all.
Lots of professional fighting game players abuse the sounds of the other players stick to make predictions and often set empty buttons to throw off the opponent using the sounds of the players stick. Some players even start making loud banging noises on their stick in high pressure situations with the intention of making the opponent stop pressuring.

I honestly don't take extra time to move even in a tricky prediction. Generally there's only 2-3 options to choose from, and none of them are strictly better than the others and they're all dependent on the opponent's move. I just pick one and hope for the best, because thinking long and hard about something like that won't actually get you anywhere.

If I take a long time to move, it's either a real life/lag issue, I'm calcing something, or I have a more complex plan that I want to make sure I wrap my head around it (like I have two pokemon I could sac for that switch in, which will be less valuable overall in the rest of the battle).

Sorry to quote a somewhat old post, but that's not true. At all.
Lots of professional fighting game players abuse the sounds of the other players stick to make predictions and often set empty buttons to throw off the opponent using the sounds of the players stick. Some players even start making loud banging noises on their stick in high pressure situations with the intention of making the opponent stop pressuring.
Throwing out fake stick sounds or buttons is called Dummying which is a generally accepted ploy of nearly any game, competitive or not. In Pokemon this could be making a double switch, or running a lure etc.

That's completely different to what is being discussed here. The movement of your opponents stick is a definite action, but taking time to make a move isn't. It's not about reading your opponent's decisions, its about reading the potential for a decision. You aren't actually predicting anything, you're reading off a sheet of paper.

Using time to predict moves is not the same, it's at best a stab in the dark. You could argue that taking extra time to make a move is a decision, but again you have NO idea why they're taking so long. They could be feeding the cat, gone to the toilet, completely unrelated to the game. It's been discussed and generally agreed upon that since it's not definite you can't reliably use it to help make decisions.

It is a smarll part of prediction but NEVER count on it, you can look if the player is involved in a chatroom or another battle and if he isn't, maybe take the time he takes as consideration for your prediction.

I've used this to outplay Bisharps before and it has worked lol. But maybe I just got lucky. This is really the only time I use this method to try to trick my opponent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)