1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Using Togekiss as a punching bag

Discussion in 'BW Other Teams' started by kerbykong, Aug 10, 2012.

1. kerbykong

kerbykong

Hey guys, I'm new-ish to meta-game play so I was wondering if you could rate a team I hope to participate with in the next VGC. This team is optimized for double battle play.

Togekiss @ Sitrus Berry
    Ability: Serene Grace
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Sp. Def
    Nature: Calm
    - Follow Me
    - Air Slash
    - Thunder Wave
    - Roost/Protect (I need an opinion on which is more suitable.)

I hope to use Togekiss as a punching bag while my Linoone sets up Belly Drum. If I don't think Linoone will be effective as a sweeper after a quick viewing of the opposing team I will use another option on my team.

Linoone @ Sitrus Berry/Silk Scarf/Air Balloon (Need an opinion)
    Ability: Pickup/Gluttony (Need an opinion on which to use)
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Speed
    Nature: Jolly
    - ExtremeSpeed
    - Shadow Claw
    - Seedbomb
    - Belly Drum

I want to use Linoone to sweep up teams quickly after Belly Drum. Air Balloon is being considered because it will give temporary immunity to Earthquake, which could well finish Linoone before it even gets to set up.

Mismagius @ Leftovers
    Ability: Levitate
    EVs: 160 HP / 96 Sp. Atk / 252 Speed
    Nature: Timid
    - Substitue
    - Shadow Ball
    - Thunderbolt
    - Calm Mind/Nasty Plot (Need an opinion)

Just a basic SubCM Mismagius with thunderbolt instead of hidden power fighting. As it has levitate, Mismagius can too be unaffected by Earthquake and wreak havoc with boosted Special Attack while Togekiss takes hits. Mismagius would not be on the same starting 4 as Linoone.

Garchomp @ Haban Berry
    Ability: Sand Veil
    Nature: Jolly
    - Dragon Claw
    - Swords Dance
    - Rock Slide
    - Earthquake

The third and final variable to be used in conjunction with Togekiss. While it doesn't have an immunity to Earthquake (which if you haven't noticed is one of my biggest points of caution) it should be able to take the hits it receives. I will not use Follow Me on Togekiss but rather thunder wave or protect so it can give Garchomp support in later points of the match.

Blaziken @ Life Orb
    Ability: Speed Boost
    Nature: Adamant
    - Sky Uppercut
    - Shadow Claw
    - Protect
    - Flare Blitz

Not thinking of leading with Blaziken, but it is an almost definite on every starting 4. I choose Sky Uppercut because I thought that it was a bit too risky having Hi Jump Kick on a Life Orbed Blaziken. I'm open to suggestion though, so please mention if you think Hi Jump Kick would be better.

Breloom @ Toxic Orb
    Ability: Poison Heal
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Speed
    Nature: Adamant
    - Seed Bomb
    - Drain Punch/Mach Punch (Opinion needed)
    - Protect
    - Spore

There's no sleep clause in VGC, so I'd like to abuse that fact. It gives me the option to set up if I lose my Togekiss while the opponent's whole team is asleep, and it may frustrate them immensely.

As for Team Layout, the lead will be Togekiss 90% of the time, with either Linoone, Garchomp or Mismagius and will always contain Blaziken and Breloom as the remaining two. Breloom as a lead might be considered if I see the opponent's team fit to completely counter Togekiss as my supporting punch bag. Other layouts don't seem to fit this team, but please, let me know your true opinion of the team. Constructive criticism is appreciated and I'm willing to scrap the whole team of it gets bad feedback.
  2. voodoo pimp

voodoo pimp Apply directly to the forehead
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnus

I assume this isn't for the 2012 season since Worlds is going on right now. I strongly suggest not investing too much effort into a team until you know for sure what the rules for 2013 are going to be, because it's entirely possible that a different ruleset will render the team invalid.

Also, if you're going to use Belly Drum Linoone, you want Gluttony+Salac Berry. It's going to be a huge target for your opponent once it sets up, and it can't take hits very well, so you need to be able to outspeed all the major offensive threats.
  3. TheMantyke

TheMantyke slow
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Team Rater Alumnus
    VGC Leader

I would like to echo what Voodoo's said and advise you to wait until the new VGC 2013 rule set is actually announced to start team building. However, our current VGC rule set has much in common with the GBU's double battles, so if you want to, you could use your team exclusively for GBU matches.

As for the actual team, I think you have a lot retooling to do with it, so much so that any attempt I could make at rating it would be scrapping many Pokemon with the end result looking like an entirely different team. If you want to make a team centering around a Belly Drum Linoone, I would advise you to try using a few sturdier attackers and support to compensate for Linoone's fragility. You'll also want the Pokemon you pick to have some interwoven synergy so they can work together without Linoone in case of an early death (in a land with Hitmontop everywhere, early Linoone deaths can come fairly easy). An example change would be replacing Togekiss for an Amoonguss, so that you can shut down Trick Room users and resist the Fighting-type attacks aimed at Linoone that you'll draw in with Rage Powder.

Also, once the new season of VGC runs around, definitely try Battling 202 to get a bit of doubles and VGC advice!

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)