USUM UU Player of the Week #1: Bushtush

Cynde

toasty
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion

credit to rozes for the artwork

Hello, and welcome to UU's Player of the Week, where I interview
some of Smogon's most accomplished and well known players in the tier to give
some insight on who they are and their views on certain aspects of the metagame.
If there's someone you want to see interviewed, shoot me a PM!

Bushtush

Favourite Pokemon: Electivire
Most Used Pokemon: Empoleon
Most Known For: Being UU's Lebron James​

Tell me a little about yourself?
Hey! Im 19yr university student studying electrical engineering. Some things I like to do in my spare time are play mons(obv), work out and just chill with friends. Hoping to finish school, work my ass off and retire early so well see how that dream goes. Other than that, just your average canadian resident living life.

How did you come up with your username and do you plan on sticking with it considering that it's been on the receiving end of some unfortunate puns?
LOOL man ily cynde rly. LOOL ye I plan on sticking with it. I always find the puns funny so they are no bother. Also this was a name a username I used ever since i started gaming, and it kinda stuck so i just went with the flow and used to here too.

Haha alright Bushytushy. So, when did your Pokemon career start and what did you start off with?
TERRIBLE nickname..Anyways I started off my pokemon career by stumbling onto a pokeaim vid maybe early 2015. After that, I found showdown and started off by playing Monotype. I found it very enjoyable and kept with it. Maybe a year after I joined smogon, I decided to try and branch out into some of the core metagames, so I jumped right into UU and OU. I fell in love with both quick, and started playing them seriously after that. Now Monotype is also official wich is really great!

Speaking of Monotype, could you explain what is happening here?
LOL Well it was some jokes that started turning into beef but thats something that accompanies most PL's. Guess well wait till the actual winter premier to settle anything lmao.

I certainly hope you manage to overcome being a monotype meme, but anyways, what was the first major uu tour you participated in?
Uhh its been a while lmao. The first major tour I played in was UU Open V. Saw an ad for it somewhere on smogon, decided Id sign up. Unfortunately I had to fight the most immaculate UU demon Hogg R1, but somehow overcame that lmao. Was really fun for my first big tour.

You've been steadily picking up participation in uu tournaments since, participating in UU Championships, UUPL and UU Majors, congratulations on that by the way. Was that the first uu tour you won? Tell me a little about your road to a completely undeserved finals victory still totally fine about not winning btw.
LMAO I see we got some lingering feelings..Anyways ye that was my first uu tour win, I hadn't played much in UU tours before that really. I didnt intend to take it seriously at first till I looked at my points during one of the weeks and noticed I was in Top, then I decided to take the live games a little more serious. During playoffs UU FIENDS Christo Hogg and TSR supplied me with only the most immaculate of teams. Happy I was able to face a a beast such as yourself in finals :D.

Haha thanks. Since SPL is right around the corner, do you intend on playing UU or are you looking to play some other tier?
If I get drafted, then I got first a duty to my team to play whatever it is they want me to play. However If i have an option, then yeah Id like to play UU in SPL. Only time can tell.

Well i certainly hope to see you playing UU there. You've had to pick up some older uu generations for championships, which one do you like in particular and why? Do you also plan on taking this experience foward and participating in the next edition of the UU classic?
BW UU is definitely my favourite by far. Really fun and versatile and overall just a solid tier. Not a huge fan of ADV UU, DPP UU is pretty cool too but BW just outshines them all. Also yea, I do plan on playing in uu classic, should be fun!

Have you been playing USUM UU? What are some of your favourite new additions to the tier?
I have been playing USUM UU, and one of the things I love is how offensive the meta has become. With the addition of the recent unbans Serperior, Azu and Scolipede, the addition of Kommoium-Z, and defog flying everywhere, I find the meta very "exhilarating" if I had to put a word too it. Lots of teambuilding options to choose from. It is unstable for sure, but I guess I just find fun in this chaos. Ban scoli tho.

Would you unban anything from BL if you could?
I dont particularly agree with the Mega Latias ban, It was a good defensive pivot and , in my opinion, I didnt find it broken. Also, Id like to see Torn-T back If I had the power lmao.

Excellent pick (the Mega Latias not the Tornadus-T >_>)! Do you think there are any Pokemon flying under the radar right now that deserve a lot more attention?
Uhh Id say Mega Aggron really is flying under the radar right now. A solid check to some of the more threatening checks, as well being a solid rocker and should give it more credit than it deserves.

I agree! definitely a cool answer to stuff like Scolipede. could you tell me who some of your favourite people on Smogon are?
Uh not gunna tag everyone, first and foremost everyone in WoA yall my day 1s even if we dont always see eye too eye, love u all :D. Christo Hogg reyscarface pearl <3, Team Rattlers you guys are awesome,GS chat aka dundies is gay, and everyone on Team Canada yall are amazing , always make my day and are definitely some of the best people I have ever met.

Lastly, could you share one of your favourite UU teams?
Serperior @ Leftovers
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 56 HP / 200 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Leaf Storm
- Leech Seed
- Substitute
- Hidden Power [Fire]
Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Rapid Spin
- Toxic Spikes
- Haze
- Scald
Aerodactyl-Mega @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Ice Fang
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit
- Earthquake
Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Draco Meteor
- U-turn
- Fire Blast
Scizor @ Leftovers
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 16 Atk / 60 Def / 124 SpD / 60 Spe
Adamant Nature
- U-turn
- Roost
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
Swampert @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Scald
- Roar

Too keep it relevant for the current generation, here's a little something I threw together real quick. More of a bulky build, Rocks+tspikes and slowly wearing down my opps team for serp to start breaking holes. Mega Aero as I find it really good right now. Overall fairly consistent

Thanks for taking the time to do the interview Bushtush!
No problem Cynde, happy to do something for my favourite player of all time.

---

If you have any questions for Bushtush, feel free to leave them below.

Last edited:
    1. What is more difficult for you, looking into someones eyes when you are telling someone how you feel, or looking into someones eyes when they are telling you how they feel
    2. Think of the last time you were REALLY angry. WHY were you angry? Do you still feel the same way?
    3. You are on a flight from Honolulu to Chicago non-stop. There is a fire in the back of the plane. You have enough time to make ONE phone call. Who do you call? What do you tell them?
    4. You are at the doctor's office and he has just informed you that you have approximately one month to live. Do you tell anyone/everyone you are going to die? What do you do with your remaining days? Would you be afraid?
    5. You can have one of the following two things. Which do you choose? Why? Love and Trust.
    6. You are walking down the street on your way to work. There is a dog drowning in the canal on the side of the street. Your boss has told you if you are late even once more, you are fired. Do you take the time to save the dogs life? Why or Why not?
    7. Would you rather be hurt by the one you trust the most or the one you love the most?
    8. If you could make a 30 second speech to the entire world, what would you say?
    9. If you were going to die at midnight, what would you be doing at 11:45pm?
    10. How do you really KNOW anything for sure?
    11. If you had all the money in the world but still had to have some kind of job, what would you choose to do?
    12. When you’re 90 years old, what will matter most to you?
    13. What do you regret most so far in life?
    14. How can you apply the lesson you learned from that regret to your life TODAY?
    15. What would you change if you were told with 100% certainty that God does not exist? Or if you don’t believe in God, that he does exist?
    16. If you lost everything tomorrow, whose arms would you want to run into? Does that person know how much they mean to you?
    17. How important are dank memes in today's society?
    18. Do you fear death? If so, do you have a good reason?
    19. What would you change if you knew you were NEVER going to die?
    20. Your best friend confesses that he/she has feelings for you more than just friendship. He/she is falling in love with you. What do you (or did you) do/say?
    21. Think of the last person who you know that died. You have the chance to give them 1 hour of life back, but you have to give up one year of yours. Do you do it? Why or Why not?
    22. Are you the kind of friend that you would want to have as a friend?
    23. Why does a 26 year old accountant who makes six figures resort to playing Pokémon?
    24. Does love = sex?
    25. Your boss tells your coworker that they have to let them go because of work shortage, and they are the newest employee. You have been there much longer. Your coworker has a family to support and no other means of income. Do you go to your boss and offer to leave the company? Why or Why not?
    26. When was the last time you told someone HONESTLY how you felt regardless of how difficult it was for you to say? Who was it? What did you have to tell the person?
    27. What would be (or what was) harder for you to tell a member of the opposite sex, you love them or that you do not love them back?
    28. What do you think would be the hardest thing for you to give up? Why would it be hard to lose?
    29. Excluding romantic love, when was the last time you told someone you loved them. Who were they to you?
    30. If there was one moment and one time in the last month what would you change and why?
    31. Imagine it is a dark night, you are alone, it is raining outside, you hear someone walking around outside your window. WHO do you wish was there with you?
    32. Would you give a homeless person CPR if they were dying? Why or Why not?
    33. You are holding onto your grandmother's hand and the hand of a newborn that you do not know as they hang over the edge of a cliff. You have to let one go to save the other. Who do you let fall to their death? What was your rationale for making the decision?
    34. Are you old fashioned?
    35. When was the last time you were nice to someone and did NOT expect anything in return for it?
    36. Which would you choose, true love with a guarantee of a broken heart, or never loved at all? Why?
    37. If you could do anything or wish anything, what would it be?

Freeroamer

The greatest story of them all.
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
What's your current opinion on stall in UU? I feel like it's always stronger than people give it credit for like Bugzi's team shows, and all the new defoggers open up some cool options.

It's good to see you doing so well dude, go fuck shit up in SPL!

Bushtush

Banned deucer.
What’s it like being top 1 in not one, BUT TWO official metagames?
Tis a blessing, I really do hold both tiers in the palm of my hand...
    1. What is more difficult for you, looking into someones eyes when you are telling someone how you feel, or looking into someones eyes when they are telling you how they feel
    2. Think of the last time you were REALLY angry. WHY were you angry? Do you still feel the same way?
    3. You are on a flight from Honolulu to Chicago non-stop. There is a fire in the back of the plane. You have enough time to make ONE phone call. Who do you call? What do you tell them?
    4. You are at the doctor's office and he has just informed you that you have approximately one month to live. Do you tell anyone/everyone you are going to die? What do you do with your remaining days? Would you be afraid?
    5. You can have one of the following two things. Which do you choose? Why? Love and Trust.
    6. You are walking down the street on your way to work. There is a dog drowning in the canal on the side of the street. Your boss has told you if you are late even once more, you are fired. Do you take the time to save the dogs life? Why or Why not?
    7. Would you rather be hurt by the one you trust the most or the one you love the most?
    8. If you could make a 30 second speech to the entire world, what would you say?
    9. If you were going to die at midnight, what would you be doing at 11:45pm?
    10. How do you really KNOW anything for sure?
    11. If you had all the money in the world but still had to have some kind of job, what would you choose to do?
    12. When you’re 90 years old, what will matter most to you?
    13. What do you regret most so far in life?
    14. How can you apply the lesson you learned from that regret to your life TODAY?
    15. What would you change if you were told with 100% certainty that God does not exist? Or if you don’t believe in God, that he does exist?
    16. If you lost everything tomorrow, whose arms would you want to run into? Does that person know how much they mean to you?
    17. How important are dank memes in today's society?
    18. Do you fear death? If so, do you have a good reason?
    19. What would you change if you knew you were NEVER going to die?
    20. Your best friend confesses that he/she has feelings for you more than just friendship. He/she is falling in love with you. What do you (or did you) do/say?
    21. Think of the last person who you know that died. You have the chance to give them 1 hour of life back, but you have to give up one year of yours. Do you do it? Why or Why not?
    22. Are you the kind of friend that you would want to have as a friend?
    23. Why does a 26 year old accountant who makes six figures resort to playing Pokémon?
    24. Does love = sex?
    25. Your boss tells your coworker that they have to let them go because of work shortage, and they are the newest employee. You have been there much longer. Your coworker has a family to support and no other means of income. Do you go to your boss and offer to leave the company? Why or Why not?
    26. When was the last time you told someone HONESTLY how you felt regardless of how difficult it was for you to say? Who was it? What did you have to tell the person?
    27. What would be (or what was) harder for you to tell a member of the opposite sex, you love them or that you do not love them back?
    28. What do you think would be the hardest thing for you to give up? Why would it be hard to lose?
    29. Excluding romantic love, when was the last time you told someone you loved them. Who were they to you?
    30. If there was one moment and one time in the last month what would you change and why?
    31. Imagine it is a dark night, you are alone, it is raining outside, you hear someone walking around outside your window. WHO do you wish was there with you?
    32. Would you give a homeless person CPR if they were dying? Why or Why not?
    33. You are holding onto your grandmother's hand and the hand of a newborn that you do not know as they hang over the edge of a cliff. You have to let one go to save the other. Who do you let fall to their death? What was your rationale for making the decision?
    34. Are you old fashioned?
    35. When was the last time you were nice to someone and did NOT expect anything in return for it?
    36. Which would you choose, true love with a guarantee of a broken heart, or never loved at all? Why?
    37. If you could do anything or wish anything, what would it be?
1.Looking someone in the eyes when they are telling you how they feel
2. monotype bitches can eat my ass
3.Think of this instead. I grab the parachute that's lying on the side of the plane, undamaged. I strap it on, and grab the most beautiful, unburnt woman I can find. We jump out the plane, and and fly through the sky and land in the pacific. Luckily, we are close to in pretty shallow waters, and make it onto the sandy shores. We see the plane falling from a distance. Turns out, the plane was transportation for a nuke. We see the plane land and a huge, huge fiery explosion takes place, and suddenly a shock wave his us. We fall unconscious. When we come too, we hear the soft buzz of a radio about to lose all its power. "Only a 1/10th of the world's population survived. More news in a little bit..". Hearing this, I looked into the beautiful womans hazelnut eyes. "Time to repopulate" I said gently...
4. Visit the world
5. Trust. Cause Bitches get stiches
6. Of course I save the dog, then I go drown my boss what a fat ass neckbeard fuck.
7. The one I love most
8. Stop fighting each other
9. FUCKING
10. How can I not know anything, I am the penicillin of smogon.
11. Engineering with a passion
12.Family, Religion
13. Doing these questions
14. Not to do this again
15. Pass
16.Yours <3
17. VERY important
SKIPPING THE REST OF THESE IM TIRED.One word that will answer all these questions. Titties
Who do u fukin hate on smogon
whos the shittiest player uve played
No one
Who knows everyone has a flaw
what's your third favorite color
Orange
What's your current opinion on stall in UU? I feel like it's always stronger than people give it credit for like Bugzi's team shows, and all the new defoggers open up some cool options.

It's good to see you doing so well dude, go fuck shit up in SPL!
Not really sure where I stand on stall in UU, sure it seems the now plethora of defoggers will make lots of different stall variations possible, however given how offense the tier has become also I fear stall will also have the same struggles It did pre USUM. And gracias my friend :D
dude u fuckin RULE!
NOOO YOU RULE MY M-M-MAAAANNN

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)