1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

UT — it takes three to tango, but for how long?

Discussion in 'Moderator Discussion' started by Jumpman16, Apr 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jumpman16

Jumpman16 np: Michael Jackson - "Mon in the Mirror" (DW mix)
    is a Smogon IRC SOPis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

It's kind of a paradox, at least as far as moderating is concerned, that the generation our community knows the least about has the forum that is most populated, but it's unfortuantely common sense. And it is common sense that it should have the most mods, or at least the most active mods. I've been talking to Surgo lately on AIM about it and we both are feeling kind of overwhelmed with having to moderate the forum, along with Misty, seemingly by ourselves. I know Steelicks has stepped in to do a little bit lately, and cholena has decided to rejoin us and is interested in DP, but seriously we are being overrun and it's like a full time job moderating UT.

So please, if anybody wants to start learning the DP ropes, Surgo, Misty and myself would really appreciate it. I would nominate Phuquoph to become a mod (he definitely deserves the Team Rater badge but that's a slightly separate issue) but he's only one person.
  2. Synre

Synre
    is a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Winner

Obviously I'm not a mod but I'm not really playing World of Warcraft anymore so I'll probably be posting a lot more frequently - I think in addition to more moderators we really just need a few more moderately competent posters to offset the... digitally challenged posters in the forum.

I'll probably be pretty close to Mistyesque activity although I tend to err a bit more on the side of lurking, but at the very least I can flag down a mod if something obviously needs to happen since normally someone who can do something is active on IRC.
  3. Glen

Glen
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnus

uhh well in all honesty, i would enjoy moderating the forum. i recently got back into pokemon (and i was actually pretty good at it when i did play), and have been visiting ut more and more (ironically, the reason i stopped checking the place was because it was so full of horrible bullshit that i myself couldnt do anything about).

i will be there a ridiculous amount of the time once i actually get the game, and as anyone who reads my more serious posts in socialization (though they are few and far between, firebot is my vice) should know, i can be a hardass when i need to be. i find im growing to be more and more of a community member, and i think this is a responsibility i can handle.

i think im at least worth a consideration, so if you feel i should start posting a lot more in the forum and such before you make any decisions thats perfectly fine too, as im well aware that that particular forum probably has little to no respect for me due to the distance i usually keep from it.

edit: OH ALSO PEOPLE ON IRC LIKE ME I USUALLY HAVE VOICE I SWEAR
  4. Misty

Misty oh
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

My activity level has dropped a bit as of late, while the forum's activity level has tripled. I'll see if I can try to increase my activity level.

In any case, my hope is that the forum will get a sudden surge of moderation activity when DP comes out in the states - a lot of mods, supermods, and even admins have been basically ignoring the forum on the grounds that Competitor/English DP aren't out yet. Hopefully that changes soon and we can get things under control.

I would not object to a few new mods, but I'm not entirely sure who to recommend.
  5. Surgo

Surgo goes to eleven
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

I'd just like to chime in here that while I agree with Jump, which he already knows as we've talked quite a bit, Synre has once again hit the nail right on the head. One of the big problems with the forum is that the ratio of competent posters to, as he so eloquently put it, "digitally challenged posters", is so extremely skewed.

What Misty said probably has something to do with that -- a lot of good people avoiding the place for the reason that it's unreleased.
  6. makiri

makiri My vast and supreme will shall be done!
    is a Tiering Contributoris a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Winneris a SPL Winner

I haven't posted much in UT, just because I decided I wanted to enjoy my Pearl cart before I get serious so I've pretty much avoided it save a few new revelations like the Sandstorm thing, my Snorlax thread, and some other misc things. But I would be up for taking any job and quickly learning anything needed just because I'm always around so I'm available to do anything asked of me. Just throwing my name into the hat for at least slight consideration.
  7. david stone

david stone Fast-moving, smart, sexy and alarming.
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Yeah, I'll eventually start going there more, and if you really need more mods, I could check it out and help by hitting report post / posting something that isn't dumb / becoming a mod, myself (again), I guess.

How does report post work, anyway? Can mods set it to be PMed instead of e-mailed? Is that the default? I really don't remember.
  8. Surgo

Surgo goes to eleven
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

The best way to report posts is to just PM me or Mekkah or Misty or Jump, as the button itself sends a message to all smods which is a Really Bad Thing.

I really think the best way to deal with the problem is to work on fixing that intelligence-to-idiocy ratio rather than throwing more mods at it.
  9. Justin8649

Justin8649
    is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

this kind of thread really belongs more in moderator discussion so we dont get everybody begging for mods and stuff. ill try to hang around a bit more this weekend and check out the forum. we can see where to go from there in regards to adding mods or changing things.
  10. Mekkah

Mekkah
    is a Super Moderatoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
    Super Moderator

I wish more people knew that too, I hate getting e-mails.

There's like 20 people who should have the Team Rater badge imo, and not just for DP. skarm said he doesn't want to hand out the Team Rater Badge for DP though. ):

I'm on the DP board a lot but it's hard to be arsed to read through Rampard Discussion #474 again to see if there's anyone breaking the rules. Not to mention some posters are on the border of an infraction, but JUST stay out of it, if you get what I mean.
  11. Shiv

Shiv mostly harmless
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Winner

I think there used to be a way in vb to make reported posts show up as a PM or in a specific forum that only mods+ can see. The few times that I've been to UT have been quite chaotic in general. Every second thread is breaking the rules somehow. We definitely need some mods for there, someone who's active it it however.
  12. havoc

havoc pottlepalooza
    is a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

if Jumpman, Misty or etc. show me the "ropes" of DP I'd be more than glad to help out when I can...
  13. Steelicks

Steelicks Come here and Battle me!
    is a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

i think its less about knowing stuff about DP, and more about willingness to actually moderate the insane amounts of shit that appears in that forum. of course, a general knowledge is helpful when it comes to team rates and that, but anyone with sufficient experience with the advance metagame, and keeps up to date with the latest info, should be pretty much good to go
  14. Judgement

Judgement

I would be willing to moderate that board, since I already know a bit about DP, and as Steelicks said, it's really about moderating the gargantuan amount of stuff that appears in UT. I would be willing to do that.
  15. Jumpman16

Jumpman16 np: Michael Jackson - "Mon in the Mirror" (DW mix)
    is a Smogon IRC SOPis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

I'm retarded and didn't check to see exactly what forum I put this in because I was tired etc lol but this crossed my mind in bed later after I posted it like "uh isnt there a mod subforum i should have put his in" sorry

I agree with Surgo though (surprising since my UT announcement was onceived to DIRECTLY oppose his woot), I don't think it's "has to be" an issue of making mode mods rather than fixing the idiocy ratio, because, seriously, it is *that bad* in there like Shiv said.
  16. Carl

Carl or Varl
    is a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Winner

I don't know much about DP but I'd say I know enough to distinguish a good post from a bad one so I'll make more of an effort to help out as well.
  17. DM

DM Ce soir, on va danser.
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnus

DM for super mods

but honestly, I obviously know nothing about the pokemon aspect, but I'm no stranger to moderating message boards, so if you need some extra manpower to take care of bad posts/threads when no one else is available, I'm your man

also I'd like to have the ability to ban instead of having to infract someone 5 times, it would be a very useful tool for me with the influx of shitcocks recently
  18. Hipmonlee

Hipmonlee Have a rice day
    is a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Winner

I spend a lot of time in UT, I guess I will put more effort into actively moderating from now.

Have a nice day.
  19. Roy

Roy sux
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

posting to say i've recently obsessed over dp and it's future metagame and i'll be glad to contribute more of my star to ut
  20. Mekkah

Mekkah
    is a Super Moderatoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
    Super Moderator

This would help immensely because lately it seems Pokemaster Forever feels the need to ban evade again, and that King Arthur dude won't stop either.
  21. Surgo

Surgo goes to eleven

Speaking of King Arthur dude, he seems to have given up for now.

Of course now that I said this he's going to come back with another account while I'm sleeping.
  22. Shiv

Shiv mostly harmless
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Winner

If that isn't possible, you could simply make an infraction which is worth 5 points and never-ending.
  23. Misty

Misty oh
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

Or you could just give moderators standard banning power...
  24. Judgement

Judgement

agreeing since itd make banning dragonanus 5x faster.

edit: I would also like to moderate in UT (still)
  25. Justin8649

Justin8649
    is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

im closing this thread, ill have a solution by the end of the weekend.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)