ORAS UU UU Balance (ft. Reuniclus)

Hey guys, it's Cactrune with another balance team. I made this one after i noticed that my last team (the Mega Sharpedo one) struggled against stall even with two dedicated wallbreakers. Basically, I decided to make a team featuring a dedicated stallbreaking sweeper: Calm Mind Reuniclus. Here's the team (Changes in red).

Reuniclus @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
IVs: null Atk
- Calm Mind
- Recover
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast

I must say, Reuniclus surprised me. After it rose to A rank, I knew I had to try it. With defensive investment, it's incredibly bulky, which allows it to set up on a lot of physical attackers, even Pokemon with Knock Off. The moveset is mostly self-explanatory, with Psyshock to break special walls and end CM wars with Suicune and Focus Blast to hit what Psyshock can't.

Florges @ Leftovers
Ability: Flower Veil
EVs: 248 HP / 236 Def / 24 SpD
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Wish
- Protect
- Aromatherapy

Florges has great synergy with Reuniclus, eating Bug and Dark-type attacks like a champion while providing Wish support to the team. This set is pretty standard, but I sometimes replace Protect with Synthesis, because it's got pretty good utility as well. Overall a pretty good 'mon, as always.

Heracross @ Choice Band
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Megahorn
- Knock Off
- Stone Edge

Because Florges and Reuniclus both struggle with Steel-types, I needed a wallbreaker that could beat them. I decided not to use Entei in this Water-infested metagame, instead preferring to use something that could switch into them. This is yet another common set, and for good reason. It serves as a dangerous secondary stallbreaker that I can rely on to facilitate sweeps.

Aerodactyl @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Unnerve
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Roost
- Aerial Ace
- Earthquake

Aerodactyl checks Flying-types for the team and checkmates a lot of Pokemon on offense as well. It manhandles most of UU's megas (Beedrill, Sceptile, Pidgeot, etc.) and functions as a great late-game cleaner thanks to its awesome stats. I'm running Earthquake on Aero because, as I mentioned, I need to beat Steel-types to better utilize Reuniclus. However, it is possible to run a lot of other moves, including Pursuit or Aqua Tail.

Empoleon @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Grass Knot
- Stealth Rock
- Roar

Empoleon sponges hits and walls a variety of threats, mostly Water-types and Mega Pidgeot, and also functions as a phazer and hazard setter. Not much to say here, other then the fact that it has good synergy with Florges. Grass Knot was added here as a way to deal actual damage to Feraligatr, because Aerodactyl can outspeed and KO it (Even when Gatr's at +1) with that prior damage. Removing Defog from Empoleon also means that it is under less pressure to serve as a check for many threats and a utility mon.

Salamence @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 232 Def / 28 Spe
Impish Nature
- Defog
- Dragon Tail
- Toxic
- Roost

Because I had no other ideas for what to put in the 6th slot of this team, I just kind of slapped bulky Mence on and it turned out to be pretty awesome. Its primary function is to check Fire-types incredibly well, but it also has a whole slew of other functions. Toxic helps Salamence wear down the walls that it can't beat, Dragon Tail allows it to stack hazard damage and kill the opposition's momentum, and Defog, though Empoleon already has it, really helps my team out if one of the two gets killed. I think this guy could be replaced with something else, though.
The Team As a Whole
Overall, this team is pretty good imo. I designed it with the idea of checking multiple playstyles at once, and it generally works in my favor. However, there are some weak points that can hurt my team (see the threatlist for more of that), and I feel like it can still be improved.

Threatlist (Still Incomplete):

Feraligatr craps all over my team. Dragon Dance, Swords Dance, it's all the same. It's super threatening because most of my team can't do much to it, even if it only has one boost under its belt. SD is a lot easier to check, primarily because of its lower speed stat compared to the DD set. Empoleon can roar it out at full health, but that's not likely, because Empoleon comes in to take hits throughout a match.

The Abomasnow set that really does damage to my team is the SD set, because the All-out Attacker version doesn't have as much attack investment and thus is easier to beat with Florges. However, SD crushes my team. Heracross can knock it out at full health, but that, again, is unlikely, because I need to use Heracross to check bulky Waters throughout a match.

I have no solid switch-ins to Shaymin. My best bet is to sacrifice something and then try to RK with Aerodactyl. Without Aero, though, Shaymin is an uncheckable threat to my team thanks to its great coverage and access to Seed Flare.

Scarf Chandelure isn't terribly hard to beat as long as Empoleon is at full health, but without that, even my Fire checks (Aero, Mence) can't handle it. However, the SubCM set is even more dangerous, and basically murders my whole team.

Importable:
Reuniclus @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
IVs: null Atk
- Calm Mind
- Recover
- Psyshock
- Signal Beam

Florges @ Leftovers
Ability: Flower Veil
EVs: 248 HP / 236 Def / 24 SpD
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Wish
- Protect
- Aromatherapy

Heracross @ Choice Band
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Megahorn
- Knock Off
- Stone Edge

Aerodactyl @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Unnerve
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Roost
- Aerial Ace
- Earthquake

Empoleon @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Defog
- Stealth Rock
- Roar

Salamence @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 232 Def / 28 Spe
Impish Nature
- Defog
- Dragon Tail
- Toxic
- Roost

Last edited:

Wanka

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
UUPL Champion
Sup man this looks like a pretty solid balanced team. in regards to reuniclus, signal beam isnt a bad option it has its niches but My only thing is that if u get up enough cms psycic types cant rlly do much to u anyways so I suggest shadow ball or focus blast over sig beam, as focus blast can hit dark and steel if aggron tries to roar you and shadow can wear down a hydreigon if u have enough cms up because it wont be doing much back after the spD boosts. the filler all depends on preferance tbh I just like those 2 options but its totally up to you its still good without them, and focus blast could hit obama harder which is on ur threatlist. Another small suggestion could be to run grass knot over roar on empoleon as you already have a phazer in mence and hitting gatr with a grass knot allows you to revenge it with aerodactyl easier. Really solid team though man.

Sup man this looks like a pretty solid balanced team. in regards to reuniclus, signal beam isnt a bad option it has its niches but My only thing is that if u get up enough cms psycic types cant rlly do much to u anyways so I suggest shadow ball or focus blast over sig beam, as focus blast can hit dark and steel if aggron tries to roar you and shadow can wear down a hydreigon if u have enough cms up because it wont be doing much back after the spD boosts. the filler all depends on preferance tbh I just like those 2 options but its totally up to you its still good without them, and focus blast could hit obama harder which is on ur threatlist. Another small suggestion could be to run grass knot over roar on empoleon as you already have a phazer in mence and hitting gatr with a grass knot allows you to revenge it with aerodactyl easier. Really solid team though man.
Hey, thanks man! I never even considered Grass Knot on Empoleon (I had forgotten that it got that), but it actually sounds like a good option, not just for Gatr, but for other Water-types. I was actually thinking of replacing defog instead of roar, though, because Mence already has Defog and Roar is more reliable than Mence's Dragon Tail when it comes to phazing stuff like SubCM Cress, Chandy, and Suicune.

Also, I probably will consider running Focus Blast over Shadow Ball. Hitting Abomasnow definitely sells it imo, especially because Reuniclus is immune to hail damage.

Overall, I appreciate the comments and criticism.

Solid Team...

I recommend taking defog out on sala or empo since you have it on both and i don't think that's needed.
It also seems like you need empoleon for alot of your checks which is weird but anyway you have a wish passer for it.
Dragon Dance gives your team a hard time if it gets to set up+Darm has a field day it's like a 50/50 for your team depending on what set it uses

Solid Team...

I recommend taking defog out on sala or empo since you have it on both and i don't think that's needed.
It also seems like you need empoleon for alot of your checks which is weird but anyway you have a wish passer for it.
Dragon Dance gives your team a hard time if it gets to set up+Darm has a field day it's like a 50/50 for your team depending on what set it uses
Yeah, I'm replacing Defog with Grass Knot on Empoleon to Weaken Gatr, because Aerodactyl can outspeed even at +1 with the current spread. Also yeah, empoleon serves as a really important glue mon. If there's any way that you'd recommend altering my defensive core (Florges + Emp + Mence), I'm interested, because it might help my team out a bit.

Also, Darmanitan isn't really too difficult to handle for me, because Mence doesn't care about any hits from it (even Rock Slide) as long as it's at -1

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to check this team out!

I like the way your team is right now, but on paper it looks incredibly weak to doublade. Doublade can essentially set up on three of your mons and two of the other three can't touch it. You are forced to rely on scald to burn with empoleon as your only way of dealing with it, and if they have a dugtrio or machamp, you're in some trouble. hazard stack volt turn also looks like it can beat this team really easily. As a way of dealing with these two, I would actually recommend fire blast over toxic on salamence. This way it can deal with doublade without having to take an iron head before phasing it out as well as deal with mega beedrill if it goes for poison jab, though if stealth rocks are up dragon tail will still do a lot. I'm not quite sure yet, but I really like your team, as I personally couldn't figure out how to build around reuniclus.

I like the way your team is right now, but on paper it looks incredibly weak to doublade. Doublade can essentially set up on three of your mons and two of the other three can't touch it. You are forced to rely on scald to burn with empoleon as your only way of dealing with it, and if they have a dugtrio or machamp, you're in some trouble. hazard stack volt turn also looks like it can beat this team really easily. As a way of dealing with these two, I would actually recommend fire blast over toxic on salamence. This way it can deal with doublade without having to take an iron head before phasing it out as well as deal with mega beedrill if it goes for poison jab, though if stealth rocks are up dragon tail will still do a lot. I'm not quite sure yet, but I really like your team, as I personally couldn't figure out how to build around reuniclus.
Fire Blast is a great idea! It also gets that Shaymin-L and M-Abombasnow pretty well.

0 SpA Salamence Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Abomasnow: 392-464 (102 - 120.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO out speeds M-Abombasnow
0 SpA Salamence Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Shaymin: 170-202 (49.8 - 59.2%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO Shaymin can only 5HKO Salamance

Thanks, man! I haven't used this team in a while, but you're bringing my attention back to it and I'm interested in using it again. I'll try Fire Blast, but how should I retool my EVs and Nature? Because I'm Impish right now and that does Fire Blast no favors.

Very solid and good team. For the first time in so long I really enjoyed playing pokemon. Not much I can tell about this team but I can contribute to the threat list if you are making one, because while playing, I noticed 2 pretty big threats.

One of those being Mega Blastoise. But only if it has some shit like scald. Because that burn can wear me down pretty annoyingly. And with it's great coverage, it hits everything else on the team really hard. And there isn't a real way of killing it other than weakening it then slaying it with Heracross or so.

And another would be Nidoqueen. That thing has the bulk to take hits from lots of things while hitting hard. Nothing really appreciates taking a hit from it's amazing coverage. Only way of beating it is like leading with Empoleon and hitting that bitch with torrent boosted scald or then there's of course the all so great Reuniclus.

10/10 team tho :]

Lucipurrr

Banned deucer.
Good to see Reuniclus getting some solid play. Such a great mon that's having a difficult time shining in UU. Solid team, not much negative to say about it. Good work here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)