1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

UU Baton Pass

Discussion in 'BW Other Teams' started by Ghostbone, Jul 16, 2013.

1. Ghostbone

Ghostbone

Baton Pass has a pretty negative stigma. It's generally extremely frustrating to play against, and most players look down on BP teams because they can be purely matchup based rather than skill/prediction based. Once a BP team gets momentum, they're impossible to stop, but break one part of the core, and the entire team can be crippled.

Buuut, that didn't stop me from making and imo perfecting (there aren't really that many options to choose from) one for the tier. BP is fun because 90% of victories are a 6-0/forfeit :D

At a glance:
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

If you don't know how BP works, it's generally just using set-up pokemon, and moving boosts around the team, until you have enough for your sweeper to perform a clean sweep against the opposing team. Contrary to popular belief, offensive teams (set-up sweepers especially) are generally the hardest for BP to play around, not stall, because of common priority and the ability to 2HKO all your pokes (and you can't sac any of them). Most teams don't prepare for BP though, which makes it an easy victory.

The team:
    [​IMG]
    Ninjask @ Mental Herb
    Trait: Speed Boost
    EVs: 24 Spd / 252 HP / 232 Def
    Impish Nature
    - Protect
    - Substitute
    - Baton Pass
    - Toxic
    The recommended ninjask set is something dumb like Protect/Sub/BP/Swords dance or Aerial ace. Swords dance is useless for me, and aerial ace is pitifully weak so there's no point running it, especially when a lot of taunt users and phazers are bulky.
    But why toxic? And why Mental Herb? Leftovers is useless really, it lets you get extra turns to sub/protect, which you don't need as you only need 6. Mental Herb protects against taunt, the most common way people deal with baton pass. Toxic cripples walls that might look to taunt/phaze you (as an example, you lead against sableye, protect, toxic when it taunts you, protect again, switch out to Togekiss/Venomoth for now). It also cripples Sub/CM Raikou and Mismagius who try to set up on you.
    And most of the time stuff like azelf tries to taunt you as you sub, you protect, then get a switch to togekiss who's behind a sub with speed boost, who can stall out the taunt turns with flinches.

[​IMG]
    Togekiss @ Leftovers
    Trait: Serene Grace
    EVs: 104 Spd / 252 HP / 140 SAtk
    Modest Nature
    IVs: 0 Atk
    - Air Slash
    - Stored Power
    - Substitute
    - Baton Pass
    The sweeper. Air slash is useful for STAB, hax, and stalling out toxic'd enemy pokemon. Never underestimate its ability to get a victory through pure luck. And also never forget its ability to miss air slash twice in a row while the enemy houndoom crits sucker punches. xD.
    But yea, stored power is obscenely strong and sweeps through anything with enough boosts. Speed is to outspeed scarf heracross at +2, HP for bulk, Sp.Atk so I can sweep reasonably even at +1 or +2 special attack. (gotta prepare for the worst).
    There are other stored power users, but they generally don't have BP, and they don't have hax air slash. So togekiss is far better than all of them.

[​IMG]
    Venomoth @ Leftovers
    Trait: Wonder Skin
    Bold Nature
    - Quiver Dance
    - Substitute
    - Baton Pass
    - Bug Buzz
    Ah wonder skin, probably the most broken ability still allowed. Venomoth works as a back-up speed booster incase something goes wrong (togekiss can often sweep even with only 2 Quiver dances passed to it), and works as a strong grass and fighting resist. I don't run sleep powder because it's incredibly unreliable, and smeargle already has spore. Bug buzz does decent damage in a pinch, especially when boosted.

[​IMG]
    Smeargle @ Focus Sash
    Trait: Own Tempo
    EVs: 252 Spd / 252 HP / 4 SDef
    Timid Nature
    - Spore
    - Ingrain
    - Substitute
    - Baton Pass
    Smeargle's basically a panic button, sleep's just insanely powerful to take out any poke I don't like. It passes the invaluable ingrain, which wrecks any stall team that relies on phazing rather than priority taunt to deal with BP. The main use against more offensive teams is sleeping any poke that would otherwise tear through my defensive boosting cores.

[​IMG]
    Gorebyss @ Leftovers
    Trait: Swift Swim
    EVs: 164 Spd / 252 HP / 92 Def
    Bold Nature
    - Aqua Ring
    - Barrier
    - Substitute
    - Baton Pass
    Resists fire, has good defense and barrier, aqua ring for mitigating sub damage. It's really a choice between this and mawile though. Mawile has intimidate, and a lot of resists, but gorebyss isn't weak to fighting or ground, so I prefer it. It's not actually that physically bulky before boosts, so it's important to try and give it easy switch ins (such as to un-STAB'd moves or resisted moves). Speed is to outspeed Raikou at +2.

[​IMG]
    Mr. Mime @ Leftovers
    Trait: Soundproof
    EVs: 24 Spd / 252 HP / 232 SDef
    Calm Nature
    - Calm Mind
    - Substitute
    - Baton Pass
    - Taunt
    Staple on BP because of soundproof. Roar is far more common than whirlwind, and even though I can prepare for it with ingrain, that won't always be possible. The extremely uncommon perish song is also useless because of mr.mime, so that's important. Taunt lets it beat every other CM user 1v1, and taunting a sableye on the switch is always satisfying. It's better than running psychic or something basically. It can wall and set-up on a lot of special attackers because of the heavy defensive investment, and Mr.Mime's high natural special defense.

Sub on everyone to help against hax, 0 Atk to take less damage from foul play/confusion

Threats to the team:

Raikou: #1 threat to BP, no lie (well it is a lie, haze milotic is probably the #1 threat, but nobody uses it). Because it can run either scarf or sub/cm sets, and easily leads against this team with either, it's a complete prediction war where the odds are stacked against you. If Ninjask protects turn 1 while Raikous subs, it's gg right there, if ninjask toxics while Raikou thunderbolts, it can be gg right there as well. Scarf Raikou will outspeed gorebyss without heaps of speed boosts, which can be difficult to get a lot of the time. Basically, I have to look at the team comp and try to predict what set it is, then outpredict my opponent.

Sableye: More easily dealt with since they often lead and get toxic'd right away by Ninjask, but the fact that at any time it can switch in and force 4 of my pokes to struggle for 3 turns is annoying to deal with. I can never ingrain because of this thing being able to come in, and effectively trap a pokemon with taunt.

LO Arcanine: Gorebyss can't wall it, and I can't switch smeargle into it because it will get picked off by Extreme speed. If I BP on the switch in or lead with smeargle against it, it's manageable though, as I can survive with focus sash and sleep it (or sleep something else and try to get defensive boosts up).

Not Scarf Chandelure: Scarf just gets protect/substitute scouted and dealt with, specs flamethrower 2HKOs everything though. LO can just switch attacks to kill stuff. It's a pain if I don't manage to sleep it.

Snorlax: Whirlwind is annoying to deal with, and it eats spores from smeargle. Though it just becomes set up fodder after ingrain, but it's difficult to get a free turn to use ingrain in the first place.

Mismagius: It can beat Mr.Mime in CM wars 1v1. It's not as bad as Raikou since I can just always toxic it right away as ninjask, and if it runs HP Fight over thunderbolt it can't really do anything to togekiss, but it can still be an issue.

And most importantly, Hax.
    Any team can beat BP with crit hax/status hax at the right time. Untimely paralysis, untimely freeze, crit rock blasts, etc. Sub helps mitigate it heaps (which is why every poke on my team has it), but it can only do so much against a game designed to make you randomly lose >.> It makes it really difficult to ladder with, because even though you can beat the best teams through good prediction, you still lose to terrible teams through the RNG. BP can be a quite inconsistent strategy because of this, so you can never really expect to top a ladder with it.

Importable:

Ninjask @ Mental Herb
    Trait: Speed Boost
    Impish Nature
    - Protect
    - Substitute
    - Baton Pass
    - Toxic

Togekiss @ Leftovers
    Trait: Serene Grace
    EVs: 104 Spd / 252 HP / 140 SAtk
    Modest Nature
    - Air Slash
    - Stored Power
    - Substitute
    - Baton Pass

Venomoth @ Leftovers
    Trait: Wonder Skin
    Bold Nature
    - Quiver Dance
    - Substitute
    - Baton Pass
    - Bug Buzz

Smeargle @ Focus Sash
    Trait: Own Tempo
    EVs: 252 Spd / 252 HP / 4 SDef
    Timid Nature
    - Spore
    - Ingrain
    - Substitute
    - Baton Pass

Gorebyss @ Leftovers
    Trait: Swift Swim
    EVs: 164 Spd / 252 HP / 92 Def
    Bold Nature
    - Aqua Ring
    - Barrier
    - Substitute
    - Baton Pass

Mr. Mime @ Leftovers
    Trait: Soundproof
    EVs: 24 Spd / 252 HP / 232 SDef
    Calm Nature
    - Calm Mind
    - Substitute
    - Baton Pass
    - Taunt
  2. MasterTotoro

MasterTotoro

This is actually a nice BP Team. Good job! Only thing I might suggest is changing Togekiss' s Sub to something else because it seems it isn't used much to me. That's up to you though.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)