UU C&C Needs

Ace Emerald

Cyclic, lunar, metamorphosing
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
This was approved by kokoloko a while ago

As you guys can see from the thinning list of analyses in the UU subforum, UU C&C is almost done with its final revamps! However, there is still work to be done for you UU contributors. UU only has a few dedicated articles. Go here to get an idea approved. We also need UU letters, which are short articles about a briefer subject. The letter megathread can be found here. Letters will be featured in full on the UU hub on the media page that is currently in construction. Right now we have a grand total of zero, so any help with this is greatly appreciated! If you have any questions, contact either kokoloko, RT., or me. Thanks for your help, get writing!

Seeing that the actual UU analyses are pretty much done, I decided to go through RU and see what I felt needed some fixes. Do note I intend on doing or would like to do all of the revamps that need doing. Not entirely sure how SCMS works (still), and may need help or someone else to make said changes. Yes, they are miniscule pieces to the metagame, but having them up to speed makes them look better.
  • Aggron's UU analysis still has a mention of Golurk, who hasn't been a significant part of this metagame since last year.
  • Archeops also has this issue, but I also feel that its entire analysis could use a revamp. It's very slim and lacks a lot of detail. If you don't mind, I'd like to take that on.
  • Clefable could use a revamp. With Hail being a thing now, it needs a mention in there somewhere. There's Alomamola references and very little detail as to what the moves and sets themselves accomplish. Again, something I could also take on, seeing that it's a small task.
  • Crawdaunt has a really shitty analysis, but I feel it should be dropped anyways now that Feraligatr has seen a small spike in popularity.
  • Druddigon's analysis still sports Froslass mentions, these need to be removed.
  • Durant has the same issue. However, it's also an extremely long analysis and is very wordy. Could I get someone's take on this?
  • Electivire not having an UU analysis is a sham. Fix this. I'll take it.
  • Escavalier still has a Froslass mention in its defensive set.
  • Feraligatr's analysis is pretty lacking, just needs more detail in move descriptions and such.
  • Ferroseed's checks and counters section is extremely pathetic. Someone needs to fill it in a bit.
  • Not very big on the layout of Gallade's analysis and I believe it could use some more "meat" to its descriptions.
  • I'd personally drop the Medicham analysis, as it sees way too much competition in this tier to be considered decent. It's only niche in the tier is a Pure Power + Choice Band Hi Jump Kick anyways.
  • Moltres needs an UU analysis. I believe other players have touched on this before, and its a decent Pokemon. If need be, I can also do this one too.
  • Poliwrath is warrant of an UU analysis. See the viability thread for further details regarding why.
  • Quagsire has an HP Grass Milotic mention, and I'm pretty sure that isn't a thing. That needs to be changed.
  • Qwilfish has a Froslass mention. Lets see that gone soon.
  • Rotom has a fair number of RU 'mon mentions that I feel could be swapped for UU mentions instead, specifically in the description of its Choice set, could use more detail throughout. Not entirely mandatory though.
  • Rotom-C's Choice Specs set, if it cannot be expanded on, I feel should just be moved into other options since it's so lacking. Kinda feel the same way about the non-Choice attacker, but that's not my call.
  • I'd like to pitch the mention of Sandslash being considered for an UU analysis since it has Rapid Spin and doesn't entirely suck. Without Sandstorm, it's a stretch though.
  • Sceptile needs to be expanded on since it's missing large portions of its descriptions in regards to teammates and immediate checks / counters. SubSeed could be nerfed in my opinion too, since nobody uses it and Shaymin has better bulk to pull it off.
  • Personally, I'm not a fan of Scyther having an analysis. I just don't believe it's a useful piece to the UU metagame. If we do keep it though, I'd suggest keeping only the offensive Swords Dance set and Choice set, since I for one would only use Scyther for those sets.
  • Tiny nitpick here, but on Slowking's analysis, in the Other Options section, it mentions Trick Room as a move that it gets and Slowbro doesn't, which isn't true. This just needs a bit of SCMS.
  • Tangrowth's sporting a Golurk mention, should be Cofagrigus instead.
  • Uxie's last two sets, SubCM and Field, I believe should be moved into OO. Cresselia does the bulky CM thing better thanks to its giant HP stat, and I don't believe that a weather set is warranted, seeing that Hail is predominantly the only weather seen in UU now besides Rain Dance Kingdra. There's also some Froslass mentions that need to be removed.
As I pointed out, the four or five small revamps that could be done here, I am fully capable and willing to do, since the work I have left just needs to get through the last QC check and GP. They're already written up, so everything left to do on them is just copy-paste work.

Last edited:

Metal Sonic

Resurgence
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Will do Poliwrath

That's all I'm doing for now since I'll be claiming a spot for UU article "Guide to Stall", will be getting some help for that

Last edited:
I'll get back to you on this because Pokemazter wrote a lot, but I'd just like to say Golurk is really good right now. I dunno if it warrants specific mentions on C&C, but I've seen it used quite a lot and also used it myself (although mine was a silly set with SR and RP, lol). I also feel that Qwilfish could use an Offensive Spiker set. Separating it from other Spikers is the combination of Taunt + D-Bond/Explosion. Biggest problem would be that it can't fit both Spikes AND T-Spikes in it (unless you choose to run no STAB; but hey, if it's not gonna outlast the other grounded Poison-types what's the point of having T-Spikes?).

Escavalier needs some revision, I know Nas doesn't like SubSD but I still think it's viable so I'll try to get more comments on it. I dunno if it needs a revamp, but I'd be willing to do it in that case.

On the subject of CB Medicham, I know chris is me (may he rest in peace :eek:) used it a lot, the biggest thing it had was Psycho Cut not making contact and 2HKOing Cofagrigus. However it could get deleted, I could see Gallade doing a good enough job with it due to SD and having actual bulk! (although I wouldn't count on it taking a Shadow Ball from Offensive Cofag, lol).

Rotom-C was recently updated, I personally prefer the lure set over the Specs set but I don't have enough experience with the latter.

I see Moltres as having a similar indirect increase in viability as Yanmega after the Froslass ban, simply because that made Xatu much more viable. Biggest problem they had was that they'd have to be paired with Blastoise/Top to get rid of rocks, and that sucked a lot for offensive teams. However, I don't have enough experience with or against Moltres in UU so I'll leave it to you. I do think an Agility set (which has the advantage of not having to get rid of Electrics to actually be used), and a Specs/All-Out Attacker set are viable. I could see SubRoost working with a lure to get rid of Rhyperior (such as Grass Knot Xatu!), although probably not a defensive one like Zapdos's case. I'll stop now because I'm speaking out of my ass, lol.

And about Scyther, I dunno man, I like it. Bulky SD is really good with Xatu support, it sits at a great speed tier and it packs a lot of power with its STABs. I could also see CB and /maybe/ SD+Flying Gem being viable, although I'd have to try them out. As I said, Froslass's departure gives a couple Pokes an indirect improvement by making it easier to get rid of SR. I saw that happen in the Suspect ladder, where Xatu roamed free and made Specs Yanmega much more threatening (damn you Nas :( )

EDIT: OK, I wrote much more than what I would've wanted considering how I started this post, but whatever.

Also as a postscript: I'm interested on your views of Sandslash prior to Sand Stream's retest. I haven't seen it in UU more than twice over the past year, but its reputation as a Spinner in RU makes me doubt of its viability. I mean on the 'not sucking' part, of course.

Last edited:

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I'm handling all Froslass mentions via SCMS. As for some thoughts of my own.

I question whether Whimsicott is deserving of an analysis. SubSeed is absolutely horrific because it gets shut down by pretty much any Grass-type; Roserade and Shaymin can come in on that set for pretty much free, and is generally a complete waste of a teamslot. Plus, Shaymin is infinitely better at SubSeeding than Whimsicott ever is. I guess it can run a support set, but honestly its rarely ever needed. I think Whimsicott should get its analysis removed, but feel free to oppose.

I'm also not convinced that Curse Quagsire even works anymore. I'd honestly put that in OO.

Piloswine might also be deserving of an analysis since it's been proven to be viable in UU.

Just some thoughts.

Looking at the Cobalion analysis, it looks just bare-bones to me, with minimal description put into describing the sets, moves, counters and checks, and teammates. It also looks outdated, with no mention of Pokemon such as Mew or Virizion. I would like to take the job of revamping it if it is deemed necessary to do so.

Edit: welp, just realized this is probably the wrong thread to post this in >_>.

One problem that I noticed was that Machamp does not have an Attacking Lead set, which is its most effective set in the current metagame. May I write this?

Ace Emerald

Cyclic, lunar, metamorphosing
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
One problem that I noticed was that Machamp does not have an Attacking Lead set, which is its most effective set in the current metagame. May I write this?
How does it differ from the standard set, put in the lead position? I'm initially a little skeptical because of the general lack of dedicated lead outside of the rare suicide lead.

@Ace Emerald Well, the biggest difference between the Attacking Lead set and Machamp's other sets are:
A). Machamp uses the move, Bullet Punch to pick off weakened leads such as Crustle and Azelf
B). Machamp has enough bulk investment to guarantee the survival of a LO Mienshao's Hi Jump Kick (Naive Focus Sash Azelf is pretty irrelevany IMO)
C). Machamp can threaten nearly every common lead
D). This is Machamp's best way to differentiate itself from other Fighting-types. Nearly all of Machamp's viable sets (including the sets listed on-site) are better done by nearly other Fighting-types. With this set, Machamp can not only remain effective, but also differentiate itself.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)