UU Community Create-a-Team - Team #5 | Hiatus

I messed around with Hax+Magneton, and while it did work in Steel hard removal, I feel the main reason the team did well at all is because of AV Conkeldurr. While yes, I know this Conk isn't AV, it can comfortably handle virtually all of Hax's checks, something Nido and Magneton can only dream of. While I usually run Knock Off for Scizor/Forretress, this set has a field day against Fairys and Steels, which are Hax's greatest weakness. While Nido can do the same arguable better, Conk does much much better against revenge killers such as Hydreigon, Infernape, and Terrakion. While it can't switch into them directly without AV, Flame Orb considerably boosts Mach Punch's power, making Conk better suited to taking care of the before mentioned threats. For these reasons, i'm voting for Conkeldurr.

HotFuzzBall

fuzzy-chan \(ㆁヮㆁ✿)
is an Artist
yeaaa ima just end voting now since Conkeldurr is the clear winner ^^ Not that it matters but, I would have voted for Alolan-Persian since the mon is heavily underrated and Parting Shot really can open up opportunities for Haxorus to set up.

Conkeldurr - 4
Alolan-Persian - 2
Nidoking - 1

Conkeldurr @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
EVs: 92 HP / 252 Atk / 164 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Ice Punch
- Poison Jab
- Mach Punch

This will be the time to kinda direct the direction the team will be taking. Also, try out Team #1 if you haven't already!

Submissions will end on 5/1/2017 @ 11:59 PM PST

Haxorus @ Life Orb / Lum Berry / Dragonium Z
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Poison Jab / Iron Tail

Conkeldurr @ Flame Orb
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Ice Punch
- Poison Jab
- Mach Punch​

I know its not listed but i think steel-z iron tail should be the hax set. Early on when hax doesnt get a chance to boost a z-move that crushes fairys will be a huge assest and make hax less 1dimentional than just a set up sweeper.

So I was messing around with the Hax+Conk core, and I came to the conclusion that paralysis really helps here. Not only does it stop Scarf users like Hydreigon from shitting all over Hax, it lets Conk use another move besides Mach Punch against faster threats like Infernape and non-scarf Keldeo. The fastest user of T-Wave in UU is Klefki, and with a great defensive typing and access to spikes, it can really support Hax and Conk, due to the switches they force.
Here's the set I've been using:

Klefki @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 212 Def / 44 Spe
Bold Nature
- Spikes
- Thunder Wave
- Play Rough/Dazzling Gleam
- Foul Play/Magnet Rise/Flash Cannon

The set is fairly straight forward; Spikes are a great form of residual damage, wearing heavily on checks to Hax or Conk such as Amoonguss and Megatoise, T-Wave is to stop scarfers or other DDers like Gatr, Craw, or other Hax's not holding lum berry, Play Rough is to smack Dark types that are immune to Prankster, like Megapedo and Megabsol not carrying Fire moves. I usually run Foul Play in the last slot to discourage setup, but Magnet Rise seems like a fun option to setup on Hippowdown or Gliscor. I put in 44 Spe EVs to outspeed uninvested base 80's like Goodra, Togekiss and Mandibuzz (although looking back i really don't know why as Kiss and Mandibuzz don't do much to Klefki anyway, and Goodra is a rare sight in UU anyway lmao). The EVs are pretty customizable, i've even run attack EVs to catch stuff like Megabsol off guard. I use Def instead of SpD as I find myself switching into more physical attacks, but like I said, the EVs are pretty customizable.

EDIT: Looking at the core again, i see it's pretty weak to fairies even tho Conk can lure and KO, so i changed the possible moveset to include Flash Cannon and Dazzling Gleam.

Last edited:
Hmm Conk will probably be useful for this team, as I have recently seen just how powerful it can be. Anyways, let's give this another shot (RIP Nido)

Sharpedo @ Sharpedonite
Ability: Speed Boost
Adamant Nature
- Protect
- Crunch
- Waterfall
- Psychic Fangs

Pretty straightforward Sharpedo. Protect to get the speed boost before mega evolving, allowing it to outspeed Starmie and Scarf Chandelure, which were mentioned as problems for the current core. Crunch then annihilates Psychics and Ghosts (Slowbro is notably 2HKOd) and Psychic Fangs nails things like Tentacruel and Keldeo. Adamant is for extra power, but Jolly could be considered if the team needs to hit Scarf Krook or Scarf Mienshao. The team would definitely be weak to fairies, so a fairy resist would be mandatory. However, I do think Conk can be a decent fairy lure, so it's not as bad of a problem as it seems.

HotFuzzBall

fuzzy-chan \(ㆁヮㆁ✿)
is an Artist
after CSB and I tested Team #1, we basically are going to add all of Lord Esche's changes, except that Raikou change (which he also found unnecessary fyi)

so the final team will be...
Raikou @ Ghostium-Z
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Shadow Ball
- Calm Mind

Heracross @ Flame Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Facade
- Swords Dance

Aerodactyl-Mega @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Unnerve
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Aqua Tail
- Wing Attack

Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 232 HP / 172 Def / 8 SpA / 96 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Sludge Bomb
- Haze
- Rapid Spin

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 16 SpA / 16 SpD / 52 Spe
Modest Nature
- Moonblast
- Fire Blast
- Soft-Boiled
- Stealth Rock

Krookodile @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit

anyways, off to a great start! There wasn't a need for too many drastic changes so I think we did pretty good ^^

also this might be subjective since CSB and I liked the Ghostium-Z set better, even though I don't think it was suggested by anyone, so this is an alternative Raikou set you can test out and see which one you like more

Raikou @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Roar / Substitute
- Calm Mind

Nidoking @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 32 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 220 Spe
Timid Nature
- Sludge Wave
- Flamethrower
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam

Im gumma resub. Nido. AOA nidoking runs through so much in this meta. Alot of teams pretty much just die to it. I went bolt/beam+flamethrower because you dont miss out on much without ep and the steals to do have die to either flamethrower or tbolt(mainly emp) i feel atk+spA breakers in conk/king make hax job just so very easy and make it so we could run dragon-z instead of steel giving it more breaking power so aa to not end its sweep. With hax/king/conk we would def. Need some speed control with either mega shark/aero or a scarfer that isnt weak to lati.

A Cake Wearing A Hat

moist and crusty
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Random Battle Lead
Alright, I had to think on this one for a while again, but I think I've got something good.
So, we need a special attacker, something fast, and another way to deal with fairies. When I thought of those three characteristics, all that I could think of was Gengar.

Gengar @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Cursed Body
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Sludge Wave
- Shadow Ball
- Trick
- Focus Blast

We can also adjust the moveset if needed, use the Life Orb set if we can find a different source of speed control, or use a Z-crystal as well if we do not use one on Haxorus.

If we get this on our team, we'll still need a good offensive rocker and good answers to Ground types, as well as a better Scizor answer than our Conkeldurr.

In terms of the playstyle we'll be going for, I'm certainly leaning towards making this an offense-based one. Not sure whether to go hyper or bulky though.

HotFuzzBall

fuzzy-chan \(ㆁヮㆁ✿)
is an Artist
alrighto voting time! even though it's 10 mins early but, oh well

we have...

Festus_Returns - Klefki
So I was messing around with the Hax+Conk core, and I came to the conclusion that paralysis really helps here. Not only does it stop Scarf users like Hydreigon from shitting all over Hax, it lets Conk use another move besides Mach Punch against faster threats like Infernape and non-scarf Keldeo. The fastest user of T-Wave in UU is Klefki, and with a great defensive typing and access to spikes, it can really support Hax and Conk, due to the switches they force.
Here's the set I've been using:

Klefki @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Spikes
- Thunder Wave
- Play Rough/Dazzling Gleam
- Foul Play/Magnet Rise/Flash Cannon

The set is fairly straight forward; Spikes are a great form of residual damage, wearing heavily on checks to Hax or Conk such as Amoonguss and Megatoise, T-Wave is to stop scarfers or other DDers like Gatr, Craw, or other Hax's not holding lum berry, Play Rough is to smack Dark types that are immune to Prankster, like Megapedo and Megabsol not carrying Fire moves. I usually run Foul Play in the last slot to discourage setup, but Magnet Rise seems like a fun option to setup on Hippowdown or Gliscor. I put in 44 Spe EVs to outspeed uninvested base 80's like Goodra, Togekiss and Mandibuzz (although looking back i really don't know why as Kiss and Mandibuzz don't do much to Klefki anyway, and Goodra is a rare sight in UU anyway lmao). The EVs are pretty customizable, i've even run attack EVs to catch stuff like Megabsol off guard. I use Def instead of SpD as I find myself switching into more physical attacks, but like I said, the EVs are pretty customizable.

OrangeGuru - Mega Sharpedo
Hmm Conk will probably be useful for this team, as I have recently seen just how powerful it can be. Anyways, let's give this another shot (RIP Nido)

Sharpedo @ Sharpedonite
Ability: Speed Boost
Adamant Nature
- Protect
- Crunch
- Waterfall
- Psychic Fangs

Pretty straightforward Sharpedo. Protect to get the speed boost before mega evolving, allowing it to outspeed Starmie and Scarf Chandelure, which were mentioned as problems for the current core. Crunch then annihilates Psychics and Ghosts (Slowbro is notably 2HKOd) and Psychic Fangs nails things like Tentacruel and Keldeo. Adamant is for extra power, but Jolly could be considered if the team needs to hit Scarf Krook or Scarf Mienshao. The team would definitely be weak to fairies, so a fairy resist would be mandatory. However, I do think Conk can be a decent fairy lure, so it's not as bad of a problem as it seems.

JoarAddamNessosin - Nidoking
Nidoking @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 32 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 220 Spe
Timid Nature
- Sludge Wave
- Flamethrower
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam

Im gumma resub. Nido. AOA nidoking runs through so much in this meta. Alot of teams pretty much just die to it. I went bolt/beam+flamethrower because you dont miss out on much without ep and the steals to do have die to either flamethrower or tbolt(mainly emp) i feel atk+spA breakers in conk/king make hax job just so very easy and make it so we could run dragon-z instead of steel giving it more breaking power so aa to not end its sweep. With hax/king/conk we would def. Need some speed control with either mega shark/aero or a scarfer that isnt weak to lati.

A Cake Wearing A Hat - Choice Scarf Gengar
Alright, I had to think on this one for a while again, but I think I've got something good.
So, we need a special attacker, something fast, and another way to deal with fairies. When I thought of those three characteristics, all that I could think of was Gengar.

Gengar @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Cursed Body
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Sludge Wave
- Shadow Ball
- Trick
- Focus Blast

We can also adjust the moveset if needed, use the Life Orb set if we can find a different source of speed control, or use a Z-crystal as well if we do not use one on Haxorus.

If we get this on our team, we'll still need a good offensive rocker and good answers to Ground types, as well as a better Scizor answer than our Conkeldurr.

In terms of the playstyle we'll be going for, I'm certainly leaning towards making this an offense-based one. Not sure whether to go hyper or bulky though.

Voting ends tomorrow, 5/3/2017 @ 11:59PM PST

A Cake Wearing A Hat

moist and crusty
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Random Battle Lead
ok i'm actually going to vote nidoking this time for the same reasons as before

EDIT: Now that Festus mentioned it, I noticed we don't have earth power on Nidoking, when it would probably help us a lot to have both STABs on it. Can we put that on there over tbolt/flamethrower?

EDIT EDIT: yeah no, klefki

Last edited:
Gotta vote for Nido because I was proud of that nom and am still salty it didn't win lol. Everything I said the first time still stands: fairy resist, wide coverage in movepool that we can swap around to match the team needs (can hit scizor, clef, klefki, chandelure, dragons, etc) and I still think we could consider taunt or stealth rock in place of a coverage move if needed. Nico's breaking power will make for a formidable core with Conk and Hax.

Long live the (Nido)King!

E: I too think Earth Power needs to be on Nidoking. I still think Flamethrower is a valuable move to hit Scizor, so perhaps replace Tbolt

Last edited:
i honestly still prefer klefki over nido, as it provides more utility, a great defensive typing and can actually switch in on non resisted hits
However, if we were to go the way of the nido, i would say use Nidoqueen>King
Queen provides more power and bulk, as the main reason to use King over Queen is it's speed tier, and the current King set doesn't even hit Chandelure, so what's the point?
Queen can handle Kiss as long as it isn't boosted (lowkey klefki can too) but Hax can smack a weakened Kiss
Queen is also a much more reliable rocker than King as it doesn't die as easily to strong neutral hits like King does

TL;DR the King set doesn't hit Chandelure :pensive:

Last edited:

CoolStoryBrobat

The hero Smogon needs, but not the one it deserves
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Was tough deciding on which vote to go with, but I'm putting my chips in for Klefki...Klefki offers Spikes/paralysis which is dope, as well as giving us a switch-in to Latias and Fairies which this team really needs the most, something that I feel isn't necessarily resolved by the other nominations due to the fact they either can't switch into the faster threats that plague our team, or end up stacking extra weaknesses that we'll be hard-pressed to cover.

HotFuzzBall

fuzzy-chan \(ㆁヮㆁ✿)
is an Artist
oh whoops I forgot to end voting @~@ Anyways... the winner is Klefki, by a long shot. Yeah I would have voted for Klefki as well, it acts as a pretty decent Latias and Fairy (not Primarina) check which the team is currently very weak to. Spikes is also pretty nice since with enough chip damage, Conkeldurr would be able to spam Mach Punch while Haxorus won't need as many Dragon Dance boosts to sweep.

Klefki - 5
Nidoking - 1

Klefki @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Spikes
- Thunder Wave
- Play Rough / Dazzling Gleam
- Foul Play / Magnet Rise / Flash Cannon

Submissions will end on 5/7/2017 @ 11:59 PM PST. Also this will be the time to decide on Haxorus's item and Klefki's moveset, it also seems like we are pretty set on the offensive-e route though!

Haxorus @ Life Orb / Lum Berry / Dragonium Z
Ability: Mold Breaker
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Poison Jab / Iron Tail

Conkeldurr @ Flame Orb
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Ice Punch
- Poison Jab
- Mach Punch

Klefki @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Spikes
- Thunder Wave
- Play Rough / Dazzling Gleam
- Foul Play / Magnet Rise / Flash Cannon

Deadline is 5/7/2017 @ 11:59PM PST

Last edited:

HotFuzzBall

fuzzy-chan \(ㆁヮㆁ✿)
is an Artist
Anyways I like Klefki but, I think it should be switched to SpD since I find that Klefki will be checking more special threats (Latias, Clefable, Togekiss, etc.) so the special bulk will probably be better. Also Goodra is like a low-ladder player's dream so I don't think we will be seeing that often sooooo, get rid of the 44 Spe EVs, also Mandibuzz and Togekiss can't do much to Klefki.

As for a threats I'm noticing...
- Primarina - Granted like every team without Empoleon or Blissey have no switchins, we just have no reliable way to revenge kill it depending on what Haxorus set we run, Conkeldurr is also slower than Primarina.
- Offensive Water-types - Probably should've combined this with Primarina but I don't feel like deleting it... Anyways, Mega-Blastoise, Volcanion, Starmie, and Keldeo can pressure the team quite a bit and the latter two outspeed the team currently while Mega Blastoise and Volcanion's coverage are hard to switch in. Similarly to Primarina, no reliable revenge killers.
- Nidoking / queen - blah blah blah no switchins and coverage OP...
- Nasty Plot Celebi - Puts a lot of pressure on the team if it manages to get +2, and most run Earth Power / HP Fire so Klefki isn't a very safe switchin to it.

all I can think of atm, will probably post more in le future

CoolStoryBrobat

The hero Smogon needs, but not the one it deserves
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I had to dig deep for a mon that covers most of the threats listed above, and it came down to this:

Slowking @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 176 Def / 84 SpA
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Psychic / Future Sight
- Fire Blast
- Dragon Tail / Ice Beam

AV Slowking is a strong answer to both Nidos and most bulky Water-types in the tier; the only ones that can 2HKO on the switch are Mega Blastoise and the odd Modest Primarina with Stealth Rock up 29% of the time. The EVs are the ones listed on its analysis: to be able to survive 2 Stone Edges from Mega Aerodactyl (you're 2HKOed after Rocks but we can double into Klefki/whatever else we have on this team) while the remaining EVs are put into SpA so you can hit decently hard.

Psyshock was an option listed but I feel Psychic or Future Sight would be better since we shouldn't really let this thing be fighting Conkeldurr 1v1 nor are we that worried about most CM users that we'd want to run Psyshock. Future Sight is kinda cool since it's capable of forcing switches, which is what any team that runs Spikes appreciates. Fire Blast hits Celebi, Bisharp, and Scizor, and though Dragon Tail isn't slashed on the analysis as it is here, I feel it's worthy of considering Ice Beam over it just so we have something else that can lure in Hydreigon while fending off Latias. It takes some of the pressure off Klefki...I mean Dragon Tail still hurts both of them, Ice Beam just does more lol.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)