UU Community Create-a-Team - Team #5 | Hiatus

CoolStoryBrobat

The hero Smogon needs, but not the one it deserves
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I already attempted a stall build with Mega Steelix so I'mma vote Mega Beedrill (idk why the listed set has Protect tho, this is Gen 7!) since it's a mon I don't see a lot of

HotFuzzBall

fuzzy-chan \(ㆁヮㆁ✿)
is an Artist
this concludes round 1 and Mega Steelix barely inches out! Goodness I dislike how Mega Steelix's sprite loops incorrectly at the end .-. also thanks for the huge turnout ;ooo, Anyways...

Mega Steelix - 8
Weavile - 7
Mega Beedrill - 1

Steelix @ Steelixite
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake
- Roar
- Stealth Rock

Round 2 of submissions will commence, also we should aim for a direction (as in team archetype like stall, balance, etc. to focus on) as soon as possible ^^

Deadline for Round 2 - 7/17 @ 11:59 PM PST

was gonna put crocune, looked around, thought this was better

woofy woof (Suicune) @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 142 Def / 112 Spe
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Aqua Ring
- Substitute
- Protect

(This set is importable)

This set is similar to Hail Stall Walrein if you had any experience with it a few generations ago. Basically in exchange for taking one extra turn of set up, taking one extra moveslot, and losing passive Hail damage, you get a better defensive typing and stats, Pressure, and Scald (which is only sometimes better than Blizzard). I'll start off by saying that this is mainly a for fun set and there is rarely any reason to use it over the more standard speedy Sub CM Protect Suicune. It is also similar to a Wailord set I can proudly say I innovated and wrote most of the analysis for here: http://www.smogon.com/dex/xy/pokemon/wailord/ That should give you an idea of how Suicune works.

Last edited:

Amane Misa

Bring Them Home Now!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Alomomola @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Def / 216 SpD
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Scald
- Toxic

Alomomola is easily one of Mega Steelix's best partners. An amazing defensive synergy - Alomomola beats most Fighting-types, Ground-types, Fire-types and Water-types that threaten Mega Steelix and in return, Mega Steelix beat most Grass-types and Electric-types that threaten Alomomola out.

Mega Steelix's lack of reliable recovery makes it difficult for it to continually switch into attacks, this is where Alomomola comes to the picture. Their great defensive synergy can be further abused by passing massive wishes to Mega Steelix, which contributes to the fulfillment of the main premise of stall.

Alomomola @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Scald
- Toxic

Alomomola is easily one of Mega Steelix's best partners. An amazing defensive synergy - Alomomola beats most Fighting-types, Ground-types, Fire-types and Water-types that threaten Mega Steelix and in return, Mega Steelix beat most Grass-types and Electric-types that threaten Alomomola out.

Mega Steelix's lack of reliable recovery makes it difficult for it to continually switch into attacks, this is where Alomomola comes to the picture. Their great defensive synergy can be further abused by passing massive wishes to Mega Steelix, which contributes to the fulfillment of the main premise of stall.
I would just like to briefly point out that it might be worth giving Alomomola enough SpA to reliably break Hawlucha's subs (I believe it requires about 88 EV's) to avoid being setup fodder for it.
It's probably a moot point if Quagsire or a different Hawlucha answer ends up on the team, but it's something to consider.
But regardless I'm sold on Megalix+Alo.

pokemonisfun

Banned deucer.
I really wouldn't be doing the whole 88 special attack thing seeing as that's a lot of EVs and we can hopefully fit a real Hawlucha counter in anyways. The main problem is that it's not necessarily a given that you can counter Hawlucha anyways with the EVs as it might boost past you.

Anyways as for Blissey:

Blissey @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold nature
-Seismic Toss
-Toxic
-Heal Bell
-Soft-boiled

If we're going on the stall route, there is very little reason not to pick Blissey which offers a near essential utility move in Heal Bell and counters a lot of special attackers.

Both these traits synergize well with Steelix which is susceptible to status, such as when setting up SR against a weak but burning Scald. And despite having an extraordinarily defense, Steelix can counter three big special attackers Blissey fails to counter - NP Togekiss, Work Up Pidgeot and Psyshock Latias. It also somewhat checks Tail Glow Xurkitree.

This means apart from a very select few special attackers, the team is hard to break on the special side.

To reiterate, Blissey should be chosen because it's very useful in stall and will free up space later when we want to make new decisions and because the combination with Steelix means we can pretty much not worry about special attackers until the end of team building.

sparrow

kacaw
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I am not fond of the Stall route for a number of reasons. Firstly, we severely limit our team building capabilities; the aim of stall is to have an answer to everything in the metagame. IMO stall in the current metagame has been explored thoroughly, and I've seen some creative options such as AV Stunfisk and Togedemaru as answers to the stall killer: Xurkitree. Although stall requires a great deal of metagame knowledge, as well as patience, concentration & skill to play, I don't like the idea of the community building a team around the play-style. M-Steelix has been voted as our starting point, creating a stall team may seem like a good idea; but I don't really see us going outside of the box on this one.

tl;dr - stall limits our building options, I feel there isn't much else to explore outside of what's already be done before (see: togedermaru, AV stunfisk).

Latias @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psychic
- Trick / Grass Knot / Hidden Power Fire
- Healing Wish

Choice Scarf Latias, has become a necessary evil in the current meta. With this set we can choose what checks us offensively and build from there. Furthermore, Latias has decent synergy with Steelix, providing a nice answer to Fighting, Water & Fire type Pokemon. Latias offers its team a bandaid through Healing Wish support too, which could be utilised to bring back Steelix from the brink or a sweeper on its last legs. Latias threatens offensive threats such as Scarf: Infernape, Hydreigon, Krookodile; and can also outspeed M-Swampert in the rain. Psychic allows it to OHKO Conkeldurr and 2HKO's current Gliscor builds. In terms of coverage, I personally enjoy running Grass Knot, seeing as rain is a massive pain in the ass atm; but Trick and Hidden Power Fire have their uses. Trick can hinder a Pokemon such as Empoleon or Blissey as they switch in, where as Hidden Power Fire (my least favourite option) let's us cover Scizor.

Threats to Latias & M-Steelix: Primarina, Krookodile, Mamoswine, Kingdra, Empoleon, Scizor, and Pursuit Pokemon taking advantage of choice-locked Latias.

What direction does the team take if we choose Latias?

This core of M-Steelix + Latias reflects bulky offence, balance and even semi-stall. In terms of team options we'd be looking at answers to Pokemon that capitalise on a choice locked Latias. We can also look at Pokemon Steelix directly threatens (for example: Raikou, Klefki, Togekiss) and run sweepers that work well with those conditions.

Do we have to use Scarf Latias?

No, of course not. I wanted to post Scarf Latias and explore ideas around it to hopefully stimulate some creative thinking for this project. If we do choose Latias and decide that Choice Scarf is not appropriate for the team, then it's not an issue.

HotFuzzBall

fuzzy-chan \(ㆁヮㆁ✿)
is an Artist
alright submissions are over and voting will take place, for the 2nd slot we have...

Amane Misa - Alomomola

Alomomola @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Scald
- Toxic

Nightingales - StallCune? (Suicune)

woofy woof (Suicune) @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 142 Def / 112 Spe
Relaxed Nature
- Scald
- Aqua Ring
- Substitute
- Protect

(This set is importable)

This set is similar to Hail Stall Walrein if you had any experience with it a few generations ago. Basically in exchange for taking one extra turn of set up, taking one extra moveslot, and losing passive Hail damage, you get a better defensive typing and stats, Pressure, and Scald (which is only sometimes better than Blizzard). I'll start off by saying that this is mainly a for fun set and there is rarely any reason to use it over the more standard speedy Sub CM Protect Suicune. It is also similar to a Wailord set I can proudly say I innovated and wrote most of the analysis for here: http://www.smogon.com/dex/xy/pokemon/wailord/ That should give you an idea of how Suicune works.

pokeisfun - Blissey
Anyways as for Blissey:

Blissey @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold nature
-Seismic Toss
-Toxic
-Heal Bell
-Soft-boiled

If we're going on the stall route, there is very little reason not to pick Blissey which offers a near essential utility move in Heal Bell and counters a lot of special attackers.

Both these traits synergize well with Steelix which is susceptible to status, such as when setting up SR against a weak but burning Scald. And despite having an extraordinarily defense, Steelix can counter three big special attackers Blissey fails to counter - NP Togekiss, Work Up Pidgeot and Psyshock Latias. It also somewhat checks Tail Glow Xurkitree.

This means apart from a very select few special attackers, the team is hard to break on the special side.

To reiterate, Blissey should be chosen because it's very useful in stall and will free up space later when we want to make new decisions and because the combination with Steelix means we can pretty much not worry about special attackers until the end of team building.

pokemon sparrow - Choice Scarf Latias
I am not fond of the Stall route for a number of reasons. Firstly, we severely limit our team building capabilities; the aim of stall is to have an answer to everything in the metagame. IMO stall in the current metagame has been explored thoroughly, and I've seen some creative options such as AV Stunfisk and Togedemaru as answers to the stall killer: Xurkitree. Although stall requires a great deal of metagame knowledge, as well as patience, concentration & skill to play, I don't like the idea of the community building a team around the play-style. M-Steelix has been voted as our starting point, creating a stall team may seem like a good idea; but I don't really see us going outside of the box on this one.

tl;dr - stall limits our building options, I feel there isn't much else to explore outside of what's already be done before (see: togedermaru, AV stunfisk).

Latias @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psychic
- Trick / Grass Knot / Hidden Power Fire
- Healing Wish

Choice Scarf Latias, has become a necessary evil in the current meta. With this set we can choose what checks us offensively and build from there. Furthermore, Latias has decent synergy with Steelix, providing a nice answer to Fighting, Water & Fire type Pokemon. Latias offers its team a bandaid through Healing Wish support too, which could be utilised to bring back Steelix from the brink or a sweeper on its last legs. Latias threatens offensive threats such as Scarf: Infernape, Hydreigon, Krookodile; and can also outspeed M-Swampert in the rain. Psychic allows it to OHKO Conkeldurr and 2HKO's current Gliscor builds. In terms of coverage, I personally enjoy running Grass Knot, seeing as rain is a massive pain in the ass atm; but Trick and Hidden Power Fire have their uses. Trick can hinder a Pokemon such as Empoleon or Blissey as they switch in, where as Hidden Power Fire (my least favourite option) let's us cover Scizor.

Threats to Latias & M-Steelix: Primarina, Krookodile, Mamoswine, Kingdra, Empoleon, Scizor, and Pursuit Pokemon taking advantage of choice-locked Latias.

What direction does the team take if we choose Latias?

This core of M-Steelix + Latias reflects bulky offence, balance and even semi-stall. In terms of team options we'd be looking at answers to Pokemon that capitalise on a choice locked Latias. We can also look at Pokemon Steelix directly threatens (for example: Raikou, Klefki, Togekiss) and run sweepers that work well with those conditions.

Do we have to use Scarf Latias?

No, of course not. I wanted to post Scarf Latias and explore ideas around it to hopefully stimulate some creative thinking for this project. If we do choose Latias and decide that Choice Scarf is not appropriate for the team, then it's not an issue.

Personally, I'm in favor of Latias going towards the bulky offense / semi-stall route since I haven't seen many bulky offense Steelix teams (ik they are out there but, I want to see them for myself) since Steelix is almost always associated with stall as an answer to Fairies (Togekiss) and Toxic while being able to soft check Xurkitree. Also stall is having some difficulties atm with Xurkitree and other stall/wallbreakers like Jellicent, Togekiss, CB Darmanitan, and Mamoswine rising in popularity. (maybe it'll be better after Conk leaves). Anyways, I'm curious about Mega Steelix BO so I'll be voting for Latias, not particularly sold on Scarf but, we'll see in the future.

Deadline - 7/18 @ 11:59 PM PST

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)