UU Community Create-a-Team - Team #5 | Hiatus

Another day, another team, and another submission from yours truly. Since the last team was solid but had little to throw at a well built stall team, I thought it might be wise to start with something that has a favorable matchup against stall this time instead of trying to fit breaker on the team towards the end.

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 244 HP / 12 Def / 92 SpD / 160 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Roost
- Swords Dance
- Toxic

If Gliscor had fingers it'd be giving us all a thumbs up to reassure us that it'll get the job done.
Toxic and Swords Dance allow Gliscor to pressure a great many defensive pokemon while it's typing starts us off strong with a Ground immunity, Fighting resist, and even a decent Knock Off switchin once Toxic Orb kicks in. I know it's not the most exciting pokemon to start with, but it'll give us plenty of elbow room for creativity down the road.

pokemonisfun

Banned deucer.
Another day, another team, and another submission from yours truly. Since the last team was solid but had little to throw at a well built stall team, I thought it might be wise to start with something that has a favorable matchup against stall this time instead of trying to fit breaker on the team towards the end.

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Roost
- Swords Dance
- Toxic

If Gliscor had fingers it'd be giving us all a thumbs up to reassure us that it'll get the job done.
Toxic and Swords Dance allow Gliscor to pressure a great many defensive pokemon while it's typing starts us off strong with a Ground immunity, Fighting resist, and even a decent Knock Off switchin once Toxic Orb kicks in. I know it's not the most exciting pokemon to start with, but it'll give us plenty of elbow room for creativity down the road.

I don't know which set I'll vote for yet, but I just want to stress how incredibly powerful this Pokémon set is against stall. Here's a replay of Gliscor tearing apart a semi stall team, even without Toxic.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7uususpecttest-617937709

A few things about this set's matchup against stall:
  • It totally abuses Blissey, a stall staple, so it almost always has a good chance to set up
  • Near immunity to status and very strong recovery means a huge amount of walls cannot touch it - Hippowdon, Forry, Alomomola, Tentacruel (usually), Arcanine, Amoonguss (usually), Steelix, Aggron, Togekiss, Sylveon, Florges and Mandibuzz, just to name some.
  • Of the speedy stall safeties (things like Scarf Tyranitar in KG stall in DPPT), Krookodile does nothing, Mega Aero gets Toxiced stall unless Ice Fang, Weavile works but has a tough time switching in. The dragons (Hydreigon, Latias, Kyurem) are all decent, although they will be in serious trouble if Draco doesn't KO and they get Toxiced
  • Only a few walls stand a chance, like Milotic, Tangela and ironically opposing Gliscor. My observations tell me none of these are trending on stall right now
Gliscor is definitely a very good stallbreaker right now and I agree it would be a nice change of pace considering the last teams struggle with stall.

CoolStoryBrobat

The hero Smogon needs, but not the one it deserves
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Okay so my apologies for letting this go on several days unattended, I was outta town the past several days and didn't get around to updating this thread unfortunately, and it seems HotFuzzBall may still be having computer issues. With that said...

Miven - OTR Cofagrigus

Cofagrigus @ Ghostium Z
Ability: Mummy
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Nasty Plot
- Shadow Ball
- Trick Room
- Hidden Power [Fighting]

I´d like to nominate Cofagrigus. Cofagrigus fits best on offensive teams that appreciate its immense standalone sweeping potential and need it as an emergency check to specific threats such as Hawlucha. Its decent bulk also provides it with a lot of setup opportunities and enables it to clean up offensive teams fairly easily or claim a kill with +2 Z-Sball vs bulkier builds (assuming there is no blissey ofc lul). It is also one of the (if not THE) premier trick room abusers in UU rn, so we could very well take a different approach with this team and try going for a full tr squad. That being said, cofag fits very well on most bo teams so let´s not limit ourselves to that. All in all, great mon that is also fun to use.

Cheryl. - CurseLax
Snorlax @ Figy Berry
Ability: Gluttony
EVs: 188 HP / 176 Def / 144 SpD
Careful Nature
- Curse
- Recycle
- Facade / Body Slam
- Fire Punch

Snorlax is a mon that's not seen very much, mostly due to the influx of powerful Fighting-types that dominate the current metagame, such as Hawlucha and Guts Heracross. However, I still believe it has a pretty cool niche with this set, using it's ability Gluttony with the new 50% HP berries introduced in SM to have a semi-reliable way of recovering it's HP with Recycle, while also being a potentially very scary booster with Curse. As we all know, Snorlax is also quite bulky on the special side, being able to check scary special attackers such as Latias and even Primarina. (Specs Hydro does 38.3 - 45% to this spread, which is pretty crazy considering how strong Primarina is). Lax is also able to use a coverage move with this set since it forgoes RestTalk, which is really useful as Fire Punch helps Snorlax beat Scizor, which would be a really good check otherwise. Overall, I think Snorlax could make for a nice base to make a balance or BO team with, as it provides a good blanket check to special attackers while also being a potential late-game sweeper with the right support. (As for the STAB choice, Facade is nice to take advantage of Toxic and Wisp users, while Body Slam is a lot stronger right off the bat and helps threaten stuff like Latias with paralysis, although you have to be a lot more careful about status).

Amane Misa - Hawlucha

Hawlucha @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 12 HP / 244 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Acrobatics
- High Jump Kick
- Substitute
- Swords Dance

This Pokémon starts seeing a lot of usage recently, there were even a few complaints by people who argue it to be broken.

Hawlucha is a threatening as hell right now, with its only true counter being Doublade. With the right opportunity to set-up, it can completely sweep teams.

There is room for creativity while building with Hawlucha, such as regular HO, Aurora Veil HO or even BO.

I think it'll be a lot of fun building around such a cool Pokémon.

Nightingales - CM Delphox
because I want CoolStoryBrobat to hate me;

Delphox @ Life Orb
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Psychic
- Calm Mind
- Grass Knot

"Just use infernape!" Yeah but I like stupid things and a lot of people don't really know how to answer it at +1. Always fun.

CodeRed23 - Toxic SD Gliscor

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Roost
- Swords Dance
- Toxic

Since the thread's been cold several days I'll give it a bit of extra time for the voting phase...which ends 8/28/17 @ 11:59 PM

Tough call between gliscor and cofagrigus... but I'll pick Gliscor because I have been on the receiving end of its stallbreaking often enough recently that I know fool well how scary it can be (sorry Sarcophaghost).

CoolStoryBrobat

is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Votes are in...

Cofagrigus - 5
Gliscor - 4
Snorlax - 2
Hawlucha - 3

Cofagrigus @ Ghostium Z
Ability: Mummy
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Shadow Ball
- Trick Room
- Hidden Power [Fighting]

...and it looks like the Mummy Returns! As we pick mons for Round 2 to partner with Cofagrigus, try to keep in mind a team archetype/playstyle to utilize, but don't lock yourself to just thinking there's only one or two ways a mon such as OTR Cofag can be utilized on a team.

Round 2 Deadline - 8/31, 11:59 PM

Attachments

sparrow

kacaw
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Reserving snorlax

Snorlax @ Figy Berry
EVs: 188 HP / 144 Atk / 176 SpD
Brave Nature
- Frustration / Facade
- Fire / Earthquake
- Curse / Belly Drum
- Recycle

Snorlax functions as a decent sponge as well as TR abuser, and secondary wincon. The current spread means Snorlax can be utilised as a Special wall of sorts, tanking hits from Primarina, Pidgeot, Hydreigon etc. whilst given the opportunity to boost alongside Latias, with Curse. The attack invest allows you to OHKO opposing TR Cofag after rocks at +6 with EQ as well as bulky Scizor. Belly Drum makes for a more immediate threat to opposing teams, where as Curse can boost Snorlax's Defence stat - we can decide on which spread and moves we'd like to run later.

In terms of threats to Cofag + Snorlax, I could see Pokemon with STAB Knock Off being an issue. I could see us utilising a strong Fairy type alongside these two. These two also struggle versus common stall archetypes, something that should be taken into consideration.

Last edited:

Cheryl.

Celesteela is Life

Cobalion @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Close Combat
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance

I think Cobalion would be a great partner for Cofag and a great way to start off the team with a good core. Coba checks Dark-types that threaten Cofag and provides Stealth Rock to support the team and Cofag in it's late-game sweep. Cobalion also can act as a secondary sweeper/wallbreaker with this set, breaking down teams for Cofag to clean up late-game, or the other way around. Cofag also checks Fighting-types pretty well, which helps out Cobalion obviously. We also get a neat soft switch-in to Mamoswines and a really nice check to Krookodiles if we use Shuca on Coba, which is always nice as Mamo is really damn hard to switch into and Krook is just annoying. But yeah, in short, Coba just provides a ton of useful roles not only to Cofag but also to the team we are building.

Where'd my notifications go I thought this was dead

Terrakion @ Life Orb/Shuca Berry
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake

While Cofag can do well against some fat mons due to NP + Z-Sball, it generally appreicates wallbreakers to wear down teams for it to clean late-game, and it fails to beat Blissey and Mandbuzz due to their typing and bulk. Terrakion is a very capable wallbreaker that can threaten the aforementioned stall mons and wear down teams early on to allow for Cofag to sweep late-game. Set's pretty standard, LO is useful for the extra power but shuca was something I'd thought would be neat in a similar vein to Shuca Cobalion where it lures in Krookodile and KO's it for Cofag. EQ>RP cuz it beats what few things can eat Terrak's STABs and I didn't feel the sweeping ability of DD was necessary since Cofag already acts as a cleaner.

CoolStoryBrobat

Gonna nominate Weavile for a partner:

Weavile @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
Jolly Nature
- Icicle Crash
- Knock Off
- Ice Shard
- Pursuit

Weavile and Cofag have some basic defensive synergy going on, Weavile resisting Ghost- and Dark-type moves aimed at Cofagrigus, while Cofagrigus punishes and sets up on mons such as Cobalion and Scizor that would try to take advantage of Weavile. The idea to use Weavile actually came to me from the fact that Mega Pidgeot is one of Cofagrigus' more unusual hard answers, able to come in on Trick Room/Nasty Plot even with Stealth Rock up, eat up a +2 HP Fighting, and threaten Cofagrigus with Hurricane and ultimately win the matchup 1v1. Weavile threatens Pidgeot very nicely between naturally outspeeding, STAB Icicle Crash/Ice Shard, and Pursuit. Weavile also is a big threat to Mandibuzz, and while it's not going to OHKO a Blissey from full HP, Weavile can at least ensure it's weakened for later in a match thanks to Pursuit. Team would have to be very offensive to compensate for Weavile's lack of durability, and will probably want another reliable Blissey answer if it is chosen, but I think it's a good pick otherwise.

CoolStoryBrobat

Welp I'm a bit late...Let the voting phase commence tho

Sparrow - Snorlax
Reserving snorlax

Snorlax @ Figy Berry
EVs: 188 HP / 144 Atk / 176 SpD
Brave Nature
- Frustration / Facade
- Fire / Earthquake
- Curse / Belly Drum
- Recycle

Snorlax functions as a decent sponge as well as TR abuser, and secondary wincon. The current spread means Snorlax can be utilised as a Special wall of sorts, tanking hits from Primarina, Pidgeot, Hydreigon etc. whilst given the opportunity to boost alongside Latias, with Curse. The attack invest allows you to OHKO opposing TR Cofag after rocks at +6 with EQ as well as bulky Scizor. Belly Drum makes for a more immediate threat to opposing teams, where as Curse can boost Snorlax's Defence stat - we can decide on which spread and moves we'd like to run later.

In terms of threats to Cofag + Snorlax, I could see Pokemon with STAB Knock Off being an issue. I could see us utilising a strong Fairy type alongside these two. These two also struggle versus common stall archetypes, something that should be taken into consideration.

Cheryl - Cobalion

Cobalion @ Shuca Berry
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Close Combat
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance

I think Cobalion would be a great partner for Cofag and a great way to start off the team with a good core. Coba checks Dark-types that threaten Cofag and provides Stealth Rock to support the team and Cofag in it's late-game sweep. Cobalion also can act as a secondary sweeper/wallbreaker with this set, breaking down teams for Cofag to clean up late-game, or the other way around. Cofag also checks Fighting-types pretty well, which helps out Cobalion obviously. We also get a neat soft switch-in to Mamoswines and a really nice check to Krookodiles if we use Shuca on Coba, which is always nice as Mamo is really damn hard to switch into and Krook is just annoying. But yeah, in short, Coba just provides a ton of useful roles not only to Cofag but also to the team we are building.

Ceal - Terrakion
Where'd my notifications go I thought this was dead

Terrakion @ Life Orb/Shuca Berry
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake

While Cofag can do well against some fat mons due to NP + Z-Sball, it generally appreicates wallbreakers to wear down teams for it to clean late-game, and it fails to beat Blissey and Mandbuzz due to their typing and bulk. Terrakion is a very capable wallbreaker that can threaten the aforementioned stall mons and wear down teams early on to allow for Cofag to sweep late-game. Set's pretty standard, LO is useful for the extra power but shuca was something I'd thought would be neat in a similar vein to Shuca Cobalion where it lures in Krookodile and KO's it for Cofag. EQ>RP cuz it beats what few things can eat Terrak's STABs and I didn't feel the sweeping ability of DD was necessary since Cofag already acts as a cleaner.

CoolStoryBrobat - Weavile
Gonna nominate Weavile for a partner:

Weavile @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
Jolly Nature
- Icicle Crash
- Knock Off
- Ice Shard
- Pursuit

Weavile and Cofag have some basic defensive synergy going on, Weavile resisting Ghost- and Dark-type moves aimed at Cofagrigus, while Cofagrigus punishes and sets up on mons such as Cobalion and Scizor that would try to take advantage of Weavile. The idea to use Weavile actually came to me from the fact that Mega Pidgeot is one of Cofagrigus' more unusual hard answers, able to come in on Trick Room/Nasty Plot even with Stealth Rock up, eat up a +2 HP Fighting, and threaten Cofagrigus with Hurricane and ultimately win the matchup 1v1. Weavile threatens Pidgeot very nicely between naturally outspeeding, STAB Icicle Crash/Ice Shard, and Pursuit. Weavile also is a big threat to Mandibuzz, and while it's not going to OHKO a Blissey from full HP, Weavile can at least ensure it's weakened for later in a match thanks to Pursuit. Team would have to be very offensive to compensate for Weavile's lack of durability, and will probably want another reliable Blissey answer if it is chosen, but I think it's a good pick otherwise.

Voting ends 9/2 @ 11:59 PM

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)