UU Cores

Status
Not open for further replies.
The best scarf krook set should be EQ/Knock Off/Pursuit/Stone Edge or Superpower. Not sure what Dragon Claw or Fire Fang are used for. Also a core is generally 2 or more pokemon, since it's generally multiple pokemon which work well together.

A core is by definition more than one Pokemon. Scarf Krook can operate as a member of a core, but it probably needs Pursuit otherwise the best it can really do is act as a sweeper. Band Krook would be better because it could soften up walls for a teammate to clean up.

Gonna just elaborate a bit on what LiberalLucario and Lord of Bays said and mention that any pokemon that isn't a dragon type shouldn't run a dragon type move. Krook doesn't get a STAB boost off of dragon type attacks meaning Dragon Claw is effectively just a coverage move that only hits one type super effectively, which makes it a very bad coverage move.

Lucipurrr

Banned deucer.
The best scarf krook set should be EQ/Knock Off/Pursuit/Stone Edge or Superpower. Not sure what Dragon Claw or Fire Fang are used for. Also a core is generally 2 or more pokemon, since it's generally multiple pokemon which work well together.
Dragon Claw was to deal with Mence, It's now being used to hit goodra a little bit harder. Fire Fang for Coverage.

Again what does Fire Fang even cover? Secondly Stone Edge hits mence harder and goodra is so rare especially with the rise of fairies in this meta it's really not worth the extra 4-6% you'll get.

Lucipurrr

Banned deucer.
Again what does Fire Fang even cover? Secondly Stone Edge hits mence harder and goodra is so rare especially with the rise of fairies in this meta it's really not worth the extra 4-6% you'll get.
Eh, It got me through low ladder quick easily. Generally swapping between Krook and Lop to take turns hitting hard, and having Forre and Vap for defensive support. I guess my Core would be Krook, Vap, and Volc. Generally using Krook or Volc to sweep, Lop Imo is good for Swapping in on Doublade and Chandy and Fake out/Hjk. But, Generally Krook and Volc are where I focus most of my sweeps, Vap for dealing with Those water swaps. Hopefully this helps explain a bit more? I'm really not sure how to explain how my Core works, or if it's more Defensive/Offensive/Balanced. This is the first "Core" I've really analyzed, so I apologize.

Vaporeon @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 4 SpA / 50 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Heal Bell
- Wish
- Protect

Krookodile @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Dragon Claw
- Rock Slide

Volcarona @ Leftovers
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Bug Buzz
- Giga Drain
- Fiery Dance

That should be 52 EVs in SpD on Vaporeon. Also, I'd include Lopunny in this core instead of Vaporeon. Based on what you said, you use Krookodile and Lopunny to punch holes in opposing teams to give Volcarona room to sweep? If that's true, you should absolutely run Pursuit on Krookodile to trap Chandelure because as it stands nothing stops besides Stealth Rock from switching in and out freely to keep Volcarona from sweeping. My suggestion would be to drop Dragon Claw for Pursuit and consider switching Rock Slide to Stone Edge, but only if you're finding Rock Slide to be lacking in power.

Meanwhile, you're using a defensive core of Vaporeon and Forretress? What's the last member of your team, and does it contribute to one of these cores or is it more general glue/utility?

Lucipurrr

Banned deucer.
That should be 52 EVs in SpD on Vaporeon. Also, I'd include Lopunny in this core instead of Vaporeon. Based on what you said, you use Krookodile and Lopunny to punch holes in opposing teams to give Volcarona room to sweep? If that's true, you should absolutely run Pursuit on Krookodile to trap Chandelure because as it stands nothing stops besides Stealth Rock from switching in and out freely to keep Volcarona from sweeping. My suggestion would be to drop Dragon Claw for Pursuit and consider switching Rock Slide to Stone Edge, but only if you're finding Rock Slide to be lacking in power.

Meanwhile, you're using a defensive core of Vaporeon and Forretress? What's the last member of your team, and does it contribute to one of these cores or is it more general glue/utility?
This is my whole team. I pretty much focused on building a team with high 6/0 potential, Not specifically sweeping, but being able to Get 2 kills and damage with one poke, then swap in, heal up with Vap, set hazards with Forr, then clean up. Here some replays http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-188124524 http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-188137331 . I was originally runnin AV goodra over Vap, realized it wasn't Awful, but it doesn't work well.

Volcarona @ Leftovers
Ability: Flame Body
Modest Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Bug Buzz
- Giga Drain
- Fiery Dance

Lopunny-Mega @ Lopunnite
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- High Jump Kick
- Power-Up Punch
- Return

Forretress @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 124 Def / 128 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Rapid Spin
- Toxic Spikes
- Stealth Rock
- Gyro Ball

Porygon-Z @ Life Orb
Ability: Adaptability
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Tri Attack
- Shadow Ball
- Agility
- Nasty Plot

Vaporeon @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 4 SpA / 50 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Heal Bell
- Wish
- Protect

Krookodile @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Moxie
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Dragon Claw
- Rock Slide

So not sure if this is exactly post-worthy, but I've been using it a bit, and it's been doing a pretty solid job when I don't play it like shit:

Cofagrigus @ Leftovers
Ability: Mummy
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Toxic Spikes/Knock Off
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Audino-Mega @ Audinite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 56 Def / 200 SpD
Bold Nature
- Dazzling Gleam
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell

Cofagrius provides a strong physical wall, able to cripple the likes of Mega-Aggron, Jirachi(even ridding it of Serene Grace), Toxicroak, and a few others mons that would normally spook the hell out of Audino's hefty bulk. Combined with Leftovers and Pain Split, he can stand against his opponents for quite some time without a lot of support. I've played a bit with both Knock Off and Toxic Spikes in both slots, and it really seems to come down to the situation - Knock Off helps rid troublesome items, while Toxic Spikes provides greater chip damage at the cost of losing some WoW targets.

Mega-Audino then stands in against the Ghost and Dark-type moves that would make Cofa weep silently. Providing a great overall bulk, Audino is invested more towards the Special side to compensate for Cofa, while being invested enough to generally avoid the 2HKO from Mienshao HJK(Scarf being ~2%, LO being ~50%). While most prefer to run Crodino, I'm using the full Cleric style to provide more overall longevity to my team. Dazzling Gleam prevents it from being absolute Taunt bait, as well as ripping apart certain opponents, such as Hydreigon and the aforementioned Mienshao.

As a bit of a note: Mega-Audino is listed with Regenerator to ensure the normal form runs it, while still allowing it to list the Mega form in Teambuilder.

aim

pokeaimMD
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
Pretty standard but basically Raikou + Beedrill provide a great offensive volt-turn core. Pair it with a ground type check/counter/lure and it is almost impossible to break out of it, especially if your electric resist is a Life Orb Hydreigon or something. Really fun and effective.

Beedrill @ Beedrillite
Ability: Swarm
Jolly Nature
- Protect
- U-turn
- Poison Jab
- Knock Off

Raikou @ Choice Specs
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Extrasensory

I won't say you're wrong in saying that they work as an offensive core, because those are three insanely potent Pokemon, but can you elaborate on HOW they work together? Does Nidoqueen beat Fairies that give Houndoom and Machamp trouble? Does Machamp beat out Blissey who otherwise stuffs Nidoqueen and Houndoom?

I posted this somewhere else and didnt get any feedback so here it is:
Flygon

Fire punch
Outrage
Earthquake
U-turn
252 att
252 speed
4 HP
Choice band/scarf

Mega Pidgeot

U-turn
Hurricane
Heat Wave
Roost
252 Special attack
252 Speed
4 Special def
Pidgeotite (I think)

Raikou

Volt Switch
Hidden Power (Ice)
Thunderbolt
Shadow Ball
252 Special Attack
252 Speed
4 HP
Assault Vest/Leftovers

This is basically a volt turn core that can cover each-others backs well. It is mainly pidgeot and flygon as they u-turn out so the other can deal with their weaknesses and their typing makes this possible. Ice is a problem, but as they both have fire moves and are very fast, they can get rid of them well. Raikou gets rid of water types with ice moves. This core struggles with swampert, so maybe a grass on the team is good.

Last edited:

Lucipurrr

Banned deucer.
I won't say you're wrong in saying that they work as an offensive core, because those are three insanely potent Pokemon, but can you elaborate on HOW they work together? Does Nidoqueen beat Fairies that give Houndoom and Machamp trouble? Does Machamp beat out Blissey who otherwise stuffs Nidoqueen and Houndoom?
I would like to know the same thing

Lucipurrr

Banned deucer.

Togetic @ Eviolite
Ability: Super Luck
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Roost
- Baton Pass
- Dazzling Gleam

Yanmega @ Life Orb
Ability: Speed Boost
Modest Nature
- Protect
- Bug Buzz
- Air Slash
- Giga Drain

This core is very weak to stealth rocks, a defogger/spinner would be necessary.

Celebi @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP
- Recover
- Seed Bomb
- Baton Pass
- Swords Dance

Sharpedo @ Sharpedonite
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Destiny Bond/Ice Fang
- Protect

Do you mind going into a little more details about these cores? IE, why they work so well together, or Strength's/Weaknesses and what not.

The former relies on Togetic's really good typing, bulk, and slow speed to guarantee a "Slow Pass", which allows Yanmega to safely switch in. Yanmega is just a bitch for offense to deal with. Combined with Nasty Plot, Yanmega breaks through common components of Stall, too.

The latter is good because xShiba said so.

Empoleon @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Stealth Rock
- Roar / Defog / Toxic

Chesnaught @ Leftovers
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Drain Punch
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Spiky Shield

This is a pretty standard defensive hazard stacking core. These two starters have nearly perfect defensive synergy together. Emploleon covers all of Chesnaught's weaknesses except fire, while Chesnaught covers all of Empoleon's weaknesses besides fighting. This core is best used on balance teams, because it takes hits that most offensive mons can't, while easing the job of the sweepers by stacking hazards. Defog on Empoleon is only used if your team does not have a spinner, and should only be used if you have to, since defogging away your own hazards is very counterproductive.

Unfortunately, this core has no answer to fire spam, since Empoleon doesn't resist fire and Chesnaught is weak to it, so having an answer on your team is a must. The other teamslots would usually consist of a sweeper, wallbreaker and cleaner. One good partner to this core would be Fletchinder, since it isn't the hardest hitter but forces a lot of switches and is a great cleaner with priority Acrobatics.

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Serene Grace
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- U-turn
- Healing Wish
- Trick

+

Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Draco Meteor
- U-turn
- Fire Blast

Sets can be played around with and optimized, but for an offensive team I like dual Choice Scarf. Jirachi is fast enough to function without it's scarf, meaning if there is a wall you can't deal with (that isn't Mega Aggron, who gives both trouble) you can trick it.

First, the type synergy between these two is incredible. Hydreigon is immune to Ground, resists Fire and Dark, all of which Jirachi is weak too. On the other end, Jirachi resists Fairy (and is S.E. offensively against it) which is Hydreigon's worst nightmare. Rachi resists Dragon as well, meaning if you are choice locked against an opposing Hydreigon you can likely switch into Jirachi on an expected Draco and be relatively o.k.

Dual scarf poses a few unique strengths and weaknesses. Unfortunately, being choice locked sucks. Hydreigon loses a bit of power that the Life Orb and Specs set offer, but frankly it's not terribly noticeable when you're using this core to keep up momentum. Momentum is the key to this core, though, with U-Turn not being blockable like Volt Switch, it creates a situation in which you can bring in other heavy hitting pokemone (Entei is a good example) free of risk.

This core also pairs well with hazard setters, as the constant momentum causes switches on the opponent's side as well as negating the chance to get a "free" defog (as you are able to switch into a more offensive poke should you get the chance).

Admittedly, this was better when Mega Alakazam was around, because he was threatened and kept out of the game so long as either of these pokemon were alive. I still think there is value here in terms of keeping up fast paced offensive momentum, but the viability as a "meta" core is lost a bit with Mega Zam's banning.

I'm interested if anyone has any suggestions for good partners around this core - as I've said before, I've liked to set it up with both a powerful, but situational mon like Entei and a hazard setter (Chesnaught currently preferred). Both offer a lot to this core, able to take hits or threaten out the mons that threaten these two. As said above, there are some flaws, but I'd like to think this lends itself to an interesting playstyle.

Oh and Mega Blastoise is a pain in the ass too but I forgot to mention him.

YABO

King Turt
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
That core would function better with a simple LO set on Hydreigon in my opinion. The troublesome walls you talked about get popped by LO Draco's and Dark Pulses. It also helps to consolidate team slots that are very precious at the moment. It does this by turning Hydreigon into the wall breaker you talked about as opposed to adding something else like Entei. This lets you potentially handle some huge threats better or provide more threat for your own team via a set up sweeper.

Kink

it's a thug life ¨̮
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
That core would function better with a simple LO set on Hydreigon in my opinion. The troublesome walls you talked about get popped by LO Draco's and Dark Pulses. It also helps to consolidate team slots that are very precious at the moment. It does this by turning Hydreigon into the wall breaker you talked about as opposed to adding something else like Entei. This lets you potentially handle some huge threats better or provide more threat for your own team via a set up sweeper.
That being said, dual scarf has become very useful between 2 u-turn users. I can see the lack of losing 10% each turn as an upside, so who knows, maybe this particular offensive scarf combination has merit; I'd have to test it.

YABO

King Turt
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Alright everyone, time to continue the trend and post a balance core.

Crobat @ Black Sludge
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 248 HP / 60 Atk / 200 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- U-turn
- Roost
- Defog

Swampert @ Leftovers
Relaxed Nature
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Roar

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Zen Headbutt
- U-turn
- Healing Wish

This is something I've used on several teams recently and honestly rounds out a lot of teams really really nicely. This core provides everything that is seemingly hard to find late into the teambuilding process. When I'm building a team I often get to 4+ mons and realize oh darn, I don't have hazards or hazard removal. I can't use X mon because it also gets destroyed by the same thing that Y mon gets destroyed by. This can lead to being forced into using sub-optimal pokemon to fulfill the roles that you're looking for. By starting teams with Crobat, Swampert, and Scarf Jirachi I have Hazards, Hazard removal, a fire resist (and a damn good one at that), phazing, team healing, and in general just a good backbone for a team to be built around. These three pokemon, in conjunction with something like a Celebi check pretty much everything in the tier while leaving a fair amount of room for personal tweaks and slot changes.

I've personally had success with things like SD Celebi comboed with Sub+CM Raikou. Other combos that could be promising are Mega Diancie with Entei or anything else that you can think of. It's a pretty standard core but one that kind of represents the current meta and as such, I thought it was a good one to share.

Kink

it's a thug life ¨̮
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Alright everyone, time to continue the trend and post a balance core.

Crobat @ Black Sludge
EVs: 248 HP / 60 Atk / 200 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- U-turn
- Roost
- Defog

Swampert @ Leftovers
Relaxed Nature
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Roar

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Zen Headbutt
- U-turn
- Healing Wish

This is something I've used on several teams recently and honestly rounds out a lot of teams really really nicely. This core provides everything that is seemingly hard to find late into the teambuilding process. When I'm building a team I often get to 4+ mons and realize oh darn, I don't have hazards or hazard removal. I can't use X mon because it also gets destroyed by the same thing that Y mon gets destroyed by. This can lead to being forced into using sub-optimal pokemon to fulfill the roles that you're looking for. By starting teams with Crobat, Swampert, and Scarf Jirachi I have Hazards, Hazard removal, a fire resist (and a damn good one at that), phazing, team healing, and in general just a good backbone for a team to be built around. These three pokemon, in conjunction with something like a Celebi check pretty much everything in the tier while leaving a fair amount of room for personal tweaks and slot changes.

I've personally had success with things like SD Celebi comboed with Sub+CM Raikou. Other combos that could be promising are Mega Diancie with Entei or anything else that you can think of. It's a pretty standard core but one that kind of represents the current meta and as such, I thought it was a good one to share.
looks very similar to my umbreon swamp bat core. if anything, the core would be umbreon swamp and crobat w/ jirachi as the scarfer.

I was thinking that there may be potential for a good core using Mega Diancie, Vaporeon and Dugtrio but people playing with their new toy Serperior makes that a bit of a pain in the ass. I guess having such a massive grass weakness provides for a poor core in general, but the synergy in roles that I see there makes me tempted to figure it out somehow. Idea being MDiancie can be used more often and take a few hits throughout the match with Wish support, Vape can stomach a lot of hits that would give M.D. trouble (Scarfrachi Iron Head was the main thing I had in mind) and sash dugtrio can be used to trap and kill bullet punches (lucario) so Diancie can sweep later.

Am I going down a dumb line of thinking here?

e: Something like:

Diancie @ Diancite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Mild Nature
- Rock Polish
- Moonblast
- Earth Power
- Diamond Storm

Vaporeon @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Scald
- Toxic

Dugtrio @ Focus Sash
Ability: Arena Trap
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Memento
- Stone Edge
- Sucker Punch

and I guess running a triple grass weakness would necessitate:

Crobat @ Black Sludge
EVs: 248 HP / 80 Atk / 4 SpD / 176 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Defog
- Roost
- Brave Bird
- U-turn

Actually on thinking of it Crobat provides a good amount of Utility. Beats Serp. and can defog to keep Duggie's sash alive. U-Turn can be used to bring MDiancie in on something to get a rock polish up and sweep if possible.

Last edited:
Here's a core that my will be featured in my upcoming RMT.

Sceptile @ Sceptilite
Ability: Overgrow ---> Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 SpAtk / 4 SpDef / 252 Spe
Modest/ Timid Nature
- Giga Drain
- Dragon Pulse
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power Fire

Krookodile @ Dread Plate
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 SpAtk
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Pursuit

These two work very well together as an offensive core. As they can cover for each others weakness well. Sceptile can take on the Bulky Waters
and Grass types that threaten Krookodile. Whereas Krookodile can defeat the steel type Sceptile could struggle breaking. Krookodile can also defeat Blissey 1vs1 who otherwise completely walls Sceptile. However both Pokemon have a big Ice weakness so adding a bulky water to the core will help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)