UU Cores

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is a rather nice Defensive Core that is becoming quite common on stall teams and that I have been using for ages

Aromatisse @ Leftovers
Ability: Aroma Veil
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Moonblast
- Wish
- Protect
- Aromatherapy

Blissey @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Seismic Toss
- Wish
- Protect / Soft-Boiled
- Stealth Rock / Toxic

This core basically single handedly checks every mon in the tier without attack investment or a boosting move and more, making it an excellent addition for most stall teams. Blissey is already a god at walling the good majority of the tiers special attackers, but struggles a lot with Physical Fighting-type, which Aromatisse handles the majority of in the tier. It also handles most mixed Hydreigon aimed at destroying Blissey and other Dragon and Dark-types. In return Blissey walls a lot of Poison-types that give Aromatisse problems. The core also gives a lot support in 2 giant wish passers to keep themselves and the team healthy way into the late game as well as good status control in Aromatherapy and Natural Cure and even SR if Blissey chooses to run it, meaning the only thing really needed to add is hazard removal and the rest of the team is free to be pretty much whatever. There are still quite a few threats though that give this core lots of trouble, notably CM Chande and Reun as well as others which the team will have to deal with, but there are still 4 team slots remaining that make this core really easy to build defensive teams with.

Salamence @ Life Orb
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 28 HP / 252 Atk / 228 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Iron Tail
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw

Empoleon @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Defog
- Toxic
- Scald
- Roar

Gligar @ Eviolite
Ability: Immunity
Careful Nature
- Roost
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock

Pretty good balance core I've been utilizing since the new drops. Empoleon takes a dump on basically anything that wants to threaten Mence (not that much really does its a monster), like Kingdra and basically whatever special attackers carry ice beam and outspeed Mence like Scarf Porygon-Z, while Mence can set up on stuff that Empoleon doesn't wanna deal with like Hippo and most ground types, especially scarfers. Gligar shuts down Mega Ampharos hard, which causes the initial core quite a bit of trouble. It also frees up moveslots on Empoleon to fully stall out Porygon2, one of Salamence's main counters. Something like fire blast and a different nature on Salamence is fairly valid over Iron Tail, I personally prefer it to nail Florges though.

Last edited:

YABO

King Turt
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

Salamence @ Life Orb
EVs: 28 HP / 252 Atk / 228 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Iron Tail
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw

Empoleon @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Defog
- Scald
- Roar

Pretty good offensive (or would you consider this balance? not actually sure what the parameters are) core I've been utilizing since the new drops. Empoleon takes a dump on basically anything that wants to threaten Mence (not that much really does its a monster), like Kingdra and basically whatever special attackers carry ice beam and outspeed Mence like Scarf Porygon-Z, while Mence can set up on stuff that Empoleon doesn't wanna deal with like Hippo and most ground types, especially scarfers. Definitely appreciates a thing to beat Mega-Amph, so Blissey (if leaning balance) or (my personal favorite) Virizion would make good teammates. Something like fire blast and a different nature on Salamence is fairly valid over Iron Tail, I personally prefer it to nail Florges though.
I feel like shifting Defog/Stealth Rock to a SpD Gligar would work really well here as a nice stop to mega ampharos. This also lets you throw Toxic on Empoleon, allowing you to whittle down Porygon 2 who is emerging as one of the premier Salamence counters in the tier.

I feel like shifting Defog/Stealth Rock to a SpD Gligar would work really well here as a nice stop to mega ampharos. This also lets you throw Toxic on Empoleon, allowing you to whittle down Porygon 2 who is emerging as one of the premier Salamence counters in the tier.
added this, but just kinda threw Flash Cannon on as filler

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I disagree with having stealth rock and defog on Gligar. I feel it puts way too much pressure on it to fulfill both of those roles (hazard setter and remover) and it would fit the core much better if empoleon had one or the other and gligar had one or the other.

I disagree with having stealth rock and defog on Gligar. I feel it puts way too much pressure on it to fulfill both of those roles (hazard setter and remover) and it would fit the core much better if empoleon had one or the other and gligar had one or the other.
I'm not really using that 4th slot on Empoleon so I could see this working, but what to use the 4th slot on Gligar for out of curiosity?

YABO

King Turt
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hi everyone, today I'm here to share a neat little core that I discovered I had in a team I built with Watfor, a driver in the UU room of PS.

Tyrantrum @ Choice Band
Ability: Rock Head
Evs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant nature
-Head Smash
-Outrage
-Earthquake
-Crunch / Fire Fang / Facade

Florges @ Leftovers
Ability: Flower Veil
Evs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
-Wish
-Protect
-Moonblast
-Aromatherapy

What this core accomplishes is allow for Tyrantrum to nuke everything basically for free. For many teams, the most common way of forcing Florges out is to go to their Choiced Fire-type, either Entei or Darmanitan. A simple protect scouts their move and allows a free switch into Tyrantrum if they go for the fire move. Once in safely, Tyrantrum gets to absolutely decimate something with a banded Head Smash or Outrage. For example, Tyrantrum does about 80% to a Weezing. Overall, it's a fun little core to use that can likely partner well with some fast sweepers that need walls to be broken down to work well.

DKFirelord

Back this time I swear!
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hi everyone, today I'm here to share a neat little core that I discovered I had in a team I built with Watfor, a driver in the UU room of PS.

Tyrantrum @ Choice Band
Evs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant nature
-Head Smash
-Outrage
-Earthquake
-Crunch / Fire Fang / Facade

Florges @ Leftovers
Evs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
-Wish
-Protect
-Moonblast
-Aromatherapy

What this core accomplishes is allow for Tyrantrum to nuke everything basically for free. For many teams, the most common way of forcing Florges out is to go to their Choiced Fire-type, either Entei or Darmanitan. A simple protect scouts their move and allows a free switch into Tyrantrum if they go for the fire move. Once in safely, Tyrantrum gets to absolutely decimate something with a banded Head Smash or Outrage. For example, Tyrantrum does about 80% to a Weezing. Overall, it's a fun little core to use that can likely partner well with some fast sweepers that need walls to be broken down to work well.
Wow lol never thought of using facade

Trainer Au

Insert custom title here
Offensive core:

+

Sorry if this core is really well known or basic, I didn't see it anywhere and it is really fun to use. I wanted to use MPidgeot because a quick look at the viability ranking list made me realize that there weren't that many flying resists in the tier. Big bird struggles to get past steels (MAggron, Empoleon) and general fat mons (Umbreon, Cress, Vaporeon) so I paired it with Heracross, who can threaten to OHKO or severly damage all of the mentioned pokemon when holding a choice band. The reason this core works so well is because Bird learns U-Turn, which lets you safely bring in Heracross on all of these pokemon if you predict the switch. This brings you a ton of momentum because a healthy banded Heracross is not something that is easy to switch in on. And since the tier doesn't have a lot of flying resists and MPidgeot has a ton of power behind it, you can almost always force the opponent's current mon out by threatening to KO, which makes this a safe play most of the time. In turn, MPidgeot hits the gligars, forres, and chesnaughts that give Hera trouble.

Unfortunately, the core isn't perfect. MPidgeot can't stop Crobat from checking Hera, since Bat outspeeds Bird, and MPidgeot is on it's own when it comes to beating MAero. In addition the core can't really sweep on its own, unless MPidgeot gets a chance to clean up a weakened team late game. Florges is an issue for both, and hazards are really annoying for Bird and Heracross really hates them as well. That being said, I think it is still a strong and fun to use core, I hope my explanation was good enough. Give it a try!

Pidgeot @ Pidgeotite
Ability: Tangled Feet
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Heat Wave
- U-turn
- Roost
Heracross @ Choice Band
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Megahorn
- Knock Off
- Stone Edge / Earthquake / Sleep Talk

Okay, we've seen some isolated Heracross, Tyrantrum, and Salamence, but what about all of them in one horrifying core?

Tyrantrum @ Life Orb
EVs: 20 HP / 252 Atk / 236 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Rock Polish
- Head Smash
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake

Salamence @ Life Orb
Naive Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Hydro Pump
- Flamethrower
- Iron Tail

Heracross @ Toxic Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Megahorn
- Knock Off
- Facade

Rock Polish Tyrantrum is awesome, you basically HAVE to have a bulky Steel- or Ground-type to wall it (none of the Fighting-types in UU are even close to bulky enough to take a Dragon Claw, or even a Head Smash if they try to switch in), and Salamence and Heracross are two of UU's best wallbreakers.

The Salamence set is something I'm really really proud of, because Jesus Christ nobody ever expects it. Hippowdon, Arcanine, Krookodile, PDef Nidoqueen; I've seen them all come in on turn one, stay in, and summarily get OHKO'd by Hydro Pump. It is SO SATISFYING. Draco is obligatory STAB and your best shot against beating bulky waters that want to come in. I used to have Fire Blast, but then I realized that all the Steel-types that Salamence can really mess up get 2HKO'd by Flamethrower anyway and this lets me not have to fuck with missing Fire Blast. Once they realize they can just switch in Florges on my many special attacks, that's when I reveal Iron Tail. Unfortunately, as more Florges have started running more Defense, Iron Tail has been failing to net the KOs I need it to (or it's just been missing, thanks RNG). I think I'm gonna try some different EV spreads to give it more attack. Intimidate lets it switch in on all the Fighting-types in UU, such as Heracross.

This is basic Status Orb Heracross. The power of Choice Band with the freedom to switch moves, as well as Facade to snipe Crobat on the switch. It also lets you use Heracross as something of a switch-in on bulky waters, since Close Combat and Megahorn will 2HKO even 252/252+ Alomomola, as well as a Knock Off switch-in.

No, seriously, you HAVE to have a Rock resist that doesn't care about Dragon Claw or Earthquake (so no Empoleon, it gets bopped by Earthquake). I mean, unless you like watching some of UU's best physical walls get 2HKO'd.
252 Atk Life Orb Tyrantrum Head Smash vs. 232 HP / 252+ Def Alomomola: 253-298 (47.8 - 56.3%) -- 28.1% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Life Orb Tyrantrum Head Smash vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Cresselia: 192-227 (43.2 - 51.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Life Orb Tyrantrum Head Smash vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Gligar: 142-168 (42.5 - 50.2%) -- 89.8% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Okay, we've seen some isolated Heracross, Tyrantrum, and Salamence, but what about all of them in one horrifying core?

Tyrantrum @ Life Orb
EVs: 20 HP / 252 Atk / 236 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Rock Polish
- Head Smash
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake

Salamence @ Life Orb
Naive Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Hydro Pump
- Flamethrower
- Iron Tail

Heracross @ Toxic Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Megahorn
- Knock Off
- Facade

Rock Polish Tyrantrum is awesome, you basically HAVE to have a bulky Steel- or Ground-type to wall it (none of the Fighting-types in UU are even close to bulky enough to take a Dragon Claw, or even a Head Smash if they try to switch in), and Salamence and Heracross are two of UU's best wallbreakers.

The Salamence set is something I'm really really proud of, because Jesus Christ nobody ever expects it. Hippowdon, Arcanine, Krookodile, PDef Nidoqueen; I've seen them all come in on turn one, stay in, and summarily get OHKO'd by Hydro Pump. It is SO SATISFYING. Draco is obligatory STAB and your best shot against beating bulky waters that want to come in. I used to have Fire Blast, but then I realized that all the Steel-types that Salamence can really mess up get 2HKO'd by Flamethrower anyway and this lets me not have to fuck with missing Fire Blast. Once they realize they can just switch in Florges on my many special attacks, that's when I reveal Iron Tail. Unfortunately, as more Florges have started running more Defense, Iron Tail has been failing to net the KOs I need it to (or it's just been missing, thanks RNG). I think I'm gonna try some different EV spreads to give it more attack. Intimidate lets it switch in on all the Fighting-types in UU, such as Heracross.

This is basic Status Orb Heracross. The power of Choice Band with the freedom to switch moves, as well as Facade to snipe Crobat on the switch. It also lets you use Heracross as something of a switch-in on bulky waters, since Close Combat and Megahorn will 2HKO even 252/252+ Alomomola, as well as a Knock Off switch-in.

No, seriously, you HAVE to have a Rock resist that doesn't care about Dragon Claw or Earthquake (so no Empoleon, it gets bopped by Earthquake). I mean, unless you like watching some of UU's best physical walls get 2HKO'd.
252 Atk Life Orb Tyrantrum Head Smash vs. 232 HP / 252+ Def Alomomola: 253-298 (47.8 - 56.3%) -- 28.1% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Life Orb Tyrantrum Head Smash vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Cresselia: 192-227 (43.2 - 51.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Life Orb Tyrantrum Head Smash vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Gligar: 142-168 (42.5 - 50.2%) -- 89.8% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
Why Flamethrower over Fire Blast?

Ununhexium

I closed my eyes and I slipped away...
is a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I used to have Fire Blast, but then I realized that all the Steel-types that Salamence can really mess up get 2HKO'd by Flamethrower anyway and this lets me not have to fuck with missing Fire Blast.

Is Facade really better than Stone Edge? I know it's a trade off between a little more power against Bat and accuracy. This is an honest question, idk if Facade ko's after rocks or anything so I'm wondering. Nice core btw seems like it wrecks butt holes.

252+ Atk Guts Heracross Facade (140 BP) vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Crobat: 294-346 (78.8 - 92.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery

Moreover, it's your best option against Fairies. And thanks, it DOES wreck buttholes.

Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
Ability: Liquid Ooze
EVs: 232 HP / 252 Def / 24 Spe
Bold Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Toxic Spikes
- Scald
- Acid Spray

Chandelure @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 192 HP / 64 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Shadow Ball
- Flamethrower
- Calm Mind
- Substitute

Hydreigon @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Draco Meteor
- Roost
- Taunt

This is a very nice balance/bulky offense core that helps take care of each others checks and has overall nice synergy. With Starmie and Raikou gone Tentas viability has shot up it fits well on a good amount of team arches and is very reliable in doing it job, getting rid of and setting up hazards. T spikes and Sub CMers like Suicune etc. love each other, I opted to go with Chandy for this bc it helps beat Forre and gets rid of unneeded type stacking that I could of had if I went with cune. This core of these two mons can take care of stall extremely well. I rounded it out with Hydrei, one can run a scarf or lo set depending on what their team needs. Hydrei and Chandy have beautiful synergy same with Hydrei and Tenta. The taunt set is very good against wishers or rock setters like Krook and Pert that you already wall. Its good to run things that fuck up offense like Entei Lucario etc. since this core really takes a dump on balance well enough. Try it out see what u think.

LilOu

PO poopyhead
^ Yes. I've found myself using this core often alongside with Bronzong for the last 2 months and it works wonders. The fact that Chand lures the hell out of Florges and sets up on its face is also really convenient. Florges can't even break a substitute at +0 SDef with the given HP EVs; however, I'd use Fire Blast over Flamethrower for the immediate ass smacking power. Real players don't miss.

Last edited:
Why run that much HP? With 4 EVs in SpDef, you not only avoid the Download boost (though basically every P2 trying to beat Chandelure should be running Trace anyway), but you can drop your HP EVs to 112 and get extra power.

EDIT: That's a good point, and I was thinking more specifically about Florges, who I struggled with briefly before changing my EV spread. I should have mentioned that 112 HP / 4 SpD spread was to always keep a fresh Sub against 0 SpA Florges Moonblast. Thanks for the clarification.

Last edited:
i like having more hp bc it can live certain hits, i don't think that chandy needs that much power in the context of the core since hydra is a strong ass wallbreaker. its up to you tbh there are many sub cm spreads floating around

DEFENSIVE CORE

Florges (F) @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 236 Def / 24 SpD
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Wish
- Protect
- Aromatherapy

Aggron-Mega @ Aggronite
Ability: Filter
EVs: 252 HP / 136 Def / 120 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake
- Roar

Salamence @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 232 Def / 28 Spe
Impish Nature
- Defog
- Dragon Tail
- Toxic
- Roost

a defensive core i find out these days: Defensive Florges, Fatmence and Mega Aggron making a Fairy-Steel-Dragon core, which is nice. M-Aggron offer you a check to mons like M-Aero and Crobat, while setuping on both. Fatmence takes care of huge portion of the meta, checking on both physical and special sides thanks to his great stats and defensive typing. It also provide Defog, phasing and residual damage. Finally, Florges who check great portion of the meta, while providing Cleric support. Pretty effective rn and might be even better when Serp goes out.

...Defensive Florges, Fatmence and Mega Aggron...
Nice core,
one thing that I immediately thought is making a variation of the core by switching the wish duties to mence by forfeiting on Toxic and having Wish/Protect instead (good for scouting random HP Ice and stone edge's) and having Florges carry Synthesis/Calm Mind to also act as a win con. Just a thought though :)

Bulky Offensive core:

Slowking @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Slack Off
- Scald
- Psyshock

Abomasnow @ Abomasite
Ability: Soundproof
EVs: 92 Atk / 252 SpA / 164 Spe
Mild Nature
- Blizzard
- Giga Drain
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard

Heracross @ Choice Band
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Megahorn
- Knock Off
- Earthquake

Cool BO core here that I like to call "Never Enough Suicune Checks". CM Slowking is a great Pokemon to use in this tier as it sets up on a bunch of passive balance cores with stuff like Vaporeon, Gligar, Suicune, Cresselia, etc. It has fantastic synergy with Mega Abomasnow as it's able to take on the Fire- and Steel-types that give Mega Abomasnow trouble, in addition to the Fighting-types (minus opposing Heracross, but at least they don't get a free switch-in on Slowking like they do against other bulky Waters) that can check/revenge kill Mega Abomasnow. Heracross rounds out the core nicely by absorbing status that the other two 'mons hate and putting heavy pressure on dedicated walls. This core answers really well to most of the top threats in the metagame, particularly having solid answers to all the current S-rank mons (Suicune, Mega Aero, and Salamence), as well as being very threatening on its own. Alternatively, you could choose to run Offensive Trick Room Slowking and adjust Mega Abomasnow's EVs accordingly.

For people looking to participate in the Dark Horse Project, this is a cool starting point if you're stuck (Slowking and Abomasnow each fell well under 4% usage for last month), although you'd probably have to replace Heracross with something like Pangoro, Toxicroak, or Machamp.

Enjoy! [:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)