UU Johto Team

Hoi, I've been recently trying out the UU tier because I was getting a little bored with OU, and this is my first team.

I wanted to make it Johto because the new pokemon games, HeartGold and SoulSilver, are in the Johto region. (All my pokes are either in a johto game, or are an evolved form)

So far, my team has been okay, but I think I need some help :P

Please rate!

The team at a glance:

Okay, so without further ado...

The Team!

The Lead
Ambipom

Ambipom (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
Adamant nature
- Fake Out
- U-turn
- Brick Break
- Return

My lead, Ambipom, with a standard Flinch-n-Flee set. I like this set because I get to score a free hit with fake out, which sometimes actually OHKOs. If that fails, I then U-turn to do even more damage, and switch to a counter. I have Brick break for more coverage. I substituted return instead of payback because I like the STAB, along with life orb and 252 Atk EVs.

Calm Mind Tank/Sweeper
Slowbro

Slowbro @ Leftovers
Ability: Own Tempo
EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 SpD
Bold nature
- Calm Mind
- Surf
- Psychic
- Slack Off

Boy, I love this set. Switch in to a weak attack or not-very-effective attack, and calm mind on the switch. If I can, I calm mind more, but if not, I hit them with my dual STABs, Surf and Psychic. And of course, I have slack off to restore HP. This set is tough to take down after a few Calm Minds.

The Revenge Killer
Mismagius

Mismagius @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP/252 Spe/252 SpA
Modest nature
- Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt
- Trick
- HP Fire

This set actually functions a lot like Gengar in OU. With choice scarf equipped, I can outspeed almost everything and hit it with either Shadow Ball, T-bolt, or HP Fire. Shadow ball is a no-brainer, as it has very strong STAB, and T-bolt and HP Fire provide the type coverage it needs to be an effective revenge killer. I have trick, but I'm thinking of switching it. Any suggestions?

The Utility
Cloyster

...mmm...
Cloyster @ Leftovers
Ability: Shell Armor
EVs: 252 HP/6 Def/252 SpD
Bold nature
- Rapid Spin
- Spikes
- Ice Shard
- Payback

Well, I chose this pokemon mainly because of the nice picture. (JK) Actually, I chose cloyster because I felt my team lacked a good utility pokemon, and I need something that has a good priority move (ice shard), rapid spin, and spikes or stealth rock. Cloyster fits all those, and has an extremely high defense, which really helps. Unfortunately, it also has lots of weaknesses... I like payback because it provides type coverage, but I'm thinking of switching it for maybe toxic or something... Help plz!

The Physical Attacker
Hitmontop

Hitmontop @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
EVs: 240 HP/252 Atk/16 Spe
Careful nature
- Mach punch
- Fake out
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge

No doubt, Hitmontop has been one of my favorite pokemon since it came out in Johto. It also works particularly well as a late-game sweeper, with priority moves and a strong stab, Close Combat. Technician is amazing as it turns fake out and mach punch into very strong moves. For the last slot, I chose stone edge because it provides good type coverage. Maybe I should change it to bullet punch?

The Nasty Plot Sweeper
Houndoom

Houndoom @ Life Orb
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 6 HP/252 Spe/252 SpA
Timid nature
- Fire Blast
- Dark Pulse
- Nasty Plot
- HP Flying

One of the best nasty plot users in UU, and I like its typing. Fire Blast and Dark Pulse are excellent STAB, and are extremely powerful after even one Nasty Plot boost. This is a pretty standard set, but I'm not too sure about HP Flying. Should I change it?

Well, anyways, thats the team. If you want me to switch out a pokemon, I would like it to be a johto pokemon.

Some other pokemon I'm considering: Scyther, Arcanine, Lanturn, Dugtrio, Typhlosion, Magneton

Thanks, and please rate! :nerd:

Threat list : Coming soon!

:naughty:

Blackhawk11

one on one
Hey, you have a decent UU team here, but I notice a few areas where you could improve.

On Hitmontop, I suggest you change Stone Edge to Foresight. It really helps you out with Ghosts, especially Spiritomb, a lot more than Stone Edge will. Usually Spiritomb can switch in on Hitmontop and set up a Sub, CM, etc., but with Foresight, it has to switch out fearing a Super-Effective Close Combat. This will leave you susceptible to Flyers such as Yanmega and Altaria, but both of them can be taken care of by an Ice Shard from Donphan (who I will mention next).

Cloyster doesn't seem to fit your theme...not even a pre-evo is from Johto, so I'm gonna change him for you. Donphan is a great utility, able to do everything that Cloyster does (with SR > Spikes). He also has slightly higher HP, Attack, and Special Defense, losing to Cloyster in the other three stats, which are slightly less important. Donphan will allow you to switch in and take Electric attacks such as Thunder Fang from Arcanine and Thunderbolt from Mismagius. This gives you semi-decent synergy with Slowbro. They do share a common weakness in Grass unfortunately, but Houndoom resists that, while Hitmontop can take a few random Grass-type moves as well.

On Houndoom, you might want to consider Sucker Punch > HP Flying. HP Flying hits Bug- and Grass-types super effectively, which is already covered by Fire Blast. By the way, if it was my team, I would change Fire Blast to Flamethrower, as you are already boosting your SAtk, and Flamethrower is much more reliable. It will always hit when you need it to, whereas FB could let you down and leave you open to an attack that could end your sweep. Anyways, Sucker Punch is a great priority move that allows you to take out opposing Pokemon who are threatening to outspeed and OHKO you. When you use Sucker Punch, it's best to use a Hasty Nature and an EV spread of 4 Atk / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd. Even if you don't use Sucker Punch, you should move your 4 HP EVs somewhere else, because (assuming a 31 IV in HP, I don't know how HP Flying effects your IVs) you are Stealth Rock weak.

By the way, I found it a bit ironic that you only have two Johto Pokemon on your team. =p

On Mismagius, go with Hidden Power Ground over Fire. Fire is useful for hitting mainly Steelix, Registeel, and Grass-types. The super effective hit on Grass types is a bonus, but we will get to Grass types later. I recommend Ground because it still hits Steelix / Registeel the same, but it also hits Drapion and Houndoom hard, who like to switch in to Shadow Balls and sometimes Tricks.

Yeah, Grass types are a big threat to your team. Roserade can get in pretty well on Slowbro (Psychic never KOs it, and it only needs one free turn to ruin your team, particularly the Life Orb version), SD Venusaur / Leafeon calls for some risky switches into Houndoom, because the rest of your team can't really deal with them efficiently.

Ambipom doesn't seem to be helping your team much because you got Technitop for revenge killing needs.

For these two reasons, I suggest a Registeel over Ambipom in the lead slot. This set especially seems like it will help your team:

Registeel @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP/100 Atk/156 SDef
Careful nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Iron Head
- Stealth Rock
- Explosion
- Ice Punch

This gives your team a good deal of special defense, taking on prominent special threats such as CM Mismagius, Speed Boost Yanmega sets and Roserade. Stealth Rock affords a free slot on the above suggested Donphan. Iron Head is for general attacking, and Explosion is useful for taking out Milotic and other bulky waters, freeing up Hitmontop and Houndoom sweeps. Ice Punch is suggested in the last slot because Torterra seems like it may be a bit problematic once it gets a Rock Polish. Ice Punch will deal around 60% to it, so you can finish it off with Hitmontop or Mismagius. A cool way of dealing with it is Ice Punching it, and getting Mismagius in on an EQ to finish off the remaining 40%.

I've always been a fan of Rest over Slack Off on Slowbro. Usually what undoes Slowbro in the end is Toxic from bulky waters and Chansey. With Rest, you can stack up the Calm Minds and Rest off the status, eventually winning the stall war. Slack Off is amazing for getting immediate recovery sure, but in my experience Slowbro is staying in for the long term, and freedom from Toxic will be a great help. Even with the two turns of sleep, not much can penetrate Slowbro after a few Calm Minds. Rest is something to strongly consider on CM Slowbro.

So you got a solid defensive core of Slowbro / Registeel / Donphan, with Hitmontop, Mismagius, and Houndoom sweeping. Good luck with your team! Making this team competitive is more important than staying true to the "Johto" theme, of which I don't really see!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)