UU Player of the Week #19: Sam

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Congratulations, Hogg!

Who is your most favorite literary author, and what literary piece that you appreciated the most coming from him/her?

Samuel Delany is my favorite author, and Dhalgren is by far my favorite novel. It's - it's a hard novel to explain, but I love it. Other authors I really enjoy include Jonathan Lethem, Junot Diaz and Philip K. Dick.

What motto/mantra/quote motivates you at this very moment?

Have you watched MasterChef? Iron Chef? Hell's Kitchen? (yes, all American versions of it; but if you know the international versions, that's good)

Yes, yes (both the Japanese and the American versions) and no.

What type of meat do you like the most? What dish with your favorite meat makes you crave for more?

I actually don't eat much meat these days - I still occasionally eat seafood or poultry but I haven't eaten beef/pork/lamb in years, and mostly I stay vegetarian.

What genre of music do you appreciate the most? What song from that genre makes you want to abuse the replay button for ages?

I don't really know that I have a favorite genre of music - instead I have a lot of artists I find really compelling, and listen to everything I can by them. Nine Simone and David Bowie probably hold the top two slots for me, so I'll give you a song from each:

...and, because I want more people in the world to listen to the pure unadulterated joy that is Baltimore club music, here is a (very NSFW) song I highly recommend:

Euphonos

inanod ng mga luha; damdamin ay lumaya.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
Have you watched MasterChef? Iron Chef? Hell's Kitchen? (yes, all American versions of it; but if you know the international versions, that's good)

Yes, yes (both the Japanese and the American versions) and no.
Have you watched Season 3 of MasterChef where the blind cook overcame the odds and became the MasterChef at that time?

Manipulative

Camila <3
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hey, everyone! I'm back with another interview and I'll leave it right down below. Feel free to look for it in the OP as well.

Can you tell us a bit about yourself?
My name is Aaron, I'll be 25 in a month, and I'm currently setting up my career to become a mediator. I have a degree in Philosophy which I use to make really bad jokes. I'm frankly obsessed with UU; I love this tier and the community behind it. I make my own electronic music with bleeps and bloops, and I'm also in a band that's a ripoff of Radiohead. Family and friends are extremely important to me, and I can sometimes get a tad overzealous when I communicate for that reason. For me, Internet relationships are important, for you guys feed my knowledge of memes and contribute to the formation of my dreams. I've learned a ton about myself and the way I want to communicate with others by spending time on this site.

Most known for?
Calling myself King UU for no other reason than to turn heads.

Being a dickhead when I didn't make SPL last year. I'm atoning for my sins.

Being UU's workhorse, which I love.

Favorite Pokemon?
Aesthetically there are so many... Jolteon, Nidoking, Victreebel, Vaporeon, Slowking, Gyarados, Snorlax, Swampert, Crobat are all fun. KROOKODILE'S GEN 5 CRY IS LIT. Love Tentacruel the Core Shredder.

Most Used Pokemon?
I'm in love with a girl named Conk.

What brought you to Smogon and competitive Pokemon in general?
Y'all need to understand, my generation was THE Pokemon generation. 7 years old, impressionable minds, we played this shit like crazy people. Tv shows, trading card leagues, shit was fire. I got grounded when I was 9/10 years old and still got away with watching the Entei movie.

Pokemon Stadium brought out my love for competitive battling, and it was the desire to play with others that eventually brought me to Smogon. T'was meant to be.

How did you come to choose your name?
Here's the true story. I was lurking for like half a year before I "thought of" the name King UU. The idea was to create a name they couldn't ignore when I got #1 on the ladder. I had no idea who "they" were, but I knew "they" would notice. Needless to say, it worked, for better and for worse. I hate this name and no one will let me change it.

What is your favorite Generation of Pokemon and why?
Gen 1 for starting it all, gen 3 for giving me hours of gameplay when trying to fall asleep ten years ago, and gen 5 for being the perfect fling.

What is your favorite playstyle?
Offensive styled Balance, bordering on BO.

Do you think any playstyle is blatantly dominant or weak in the metagame?
Stall is suffering and BO has never been better, even with the departure of Mence.

Are there any specific Pokemon that you think are unhealthy for UU and may be deserving of a Suspect Test in the future?
Without a doubt, the top contender is Hydreigon. Celebi is a close second, and Sylveon is a close third. I think majority of council would agree with that, but even if they don't I'm fairly adamant regarding the notion that this tier is borderline amazing and borderline unhealthy. This being said, the recent departures have made things tolerable again and I'm not even sure if a suspect is totally necessary.

You have been performing well in UU Open so far! What are your thoughts on it this year, and who do you think has a good shot at taking it other than yourself?
Thank you! It's been a very surprising Open this year, especially with some of the largest names in our tier leaving the tour in early rounds. However, such is the nature of Pokemon and I don't think this reflects any lack of skill whatsoever, as I think some of these people could easily win UU Open under any circumstance, and next year will be a testament. This being said, there are some very interesting names this year. Pearl would have to be my top choice, as I personally think he's a fantastic UU player, and one of the few I'm actually worried about if I play him in the upcoming rounds. Other solid names include Ice Tea, Killintime, pokeisfun, blunder, and WhiteQueen.

Who are some of your favorite people in the Smogon Community?
I probably like some of these people more than they like me, but respect is respect. Hogg, IronBullet, Mazz, teal6, Christo., Sam, LeoLancaster, Killintime, YABO, Advantage, Sacri', r0ady, Shiba and even Omfuga are some of my fave people to talk to, and I'm also endlessly entertained by them. Pearl and Ice Tea are growing on me, as I deeply respect their commitment to this tier. I have an admiration for all of the current UU auth that I talk to on a frequent basis such as nv and Euphonos. Some of the new faces have also impressed me, including yourself. Hikari is one of the best Tier Leaders I've witnessed and I hope to be an example of the kind of contributor he's looking for; the man is a rock for this tier. There are many others I enjoy talking to. You guys know who you are.

Finally can you provide for us a team that you think reflects your current playstyle with a brief explanation of how it works?
Conkeldurr @ Choice Band
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Mach Punch
- Hammer Arm
- Ice Punch / Knock Off
- Poison Jab

Espeon @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball
- Dazzling Gleam
- Trick

Gyarados @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Bounce
- Substitute

Forretress @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Def / 240 SpD
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin
- Toxic
- Volt Switch

Chandelure @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 152 HP / 116 SpA / 240 Spe
Modest Nature
- Substitute
- Shadow Ball
- Flamethrower
- Calm Mind

Krookodile @ Choice Band
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge

Good example of the style I was talking about: Offensive Balance Style that borders on BO themes. Double band compliments each other well, which gives Gyara and Chandy the opportunity to setup on a plethora of common cores. This team needs suprise value, otherwise Espeon loses a portion of its element of surprising Scarf Hydreigon and Mega Bedrill and will be resorted to only be used as a cleaner/CM check in Trick. This team is also cycle dependent in order to stop physical set up sweepers, such as opposing Gyarados... Double intimidate in tandem with Forry's Volt Switch handles almost any mess I manage to get myself in. Banded Conk is simply the best set in the tier right now, I kid you the fuck not.

----------

Thank you for your time and the great interview, King UU! If you have any questions that you would like to ask him, feel free to leave them below. I'll be back next week with another interview!

Kreme

You might be right but you're not correct.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Have you thought about shaving if you havent already?

What's hairier? The beard or hairy toenail's toenails.

Do you think a Hydreigon suspect is not necessary because the possibility of it getting banned or another reason? Am interested to be honest.

How do you like the memes thrown around about you such as the infamous no Stealth Rock in Gen 5 to having dual Rockers soon after?

5 extremely antimeta and underrated pokes(total 5)

BU conk or banded?

can u explain the low usage of suicune and entei in open r5?

Enjoying your holiday so far? Looks like you're having a blast.

Why are the Leafs terrible? (Go Jays btw!)

Top 5 TV shows and/or movies?

Top 5 books?

Because you always ask this question, chocolate or vanilla?

In the not too distant past you were viewed in a very negative light due to your attitude. You've mentioned that you weren't an excellent chat presence in certain groups and felt that it played into your not making of SPL last season. Any advice to new or struggling users that may be looking to turn a corner and engage with the metagame and its playerbase? And maybe a word of advice to the mid-level players looking to up their game and get noticed by the top-tier players?

Kink

it's a thug life ¨̮
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Why is stealth rock not necessary in gen 5? Are there any cores not shredded by tentacruel? Most overrated polemon in UU? Biggest dark horse pokemom in UU?
Back when quiver pass was a thing, HO leads like Azelf allowed some of my teams to avoid using SR in exchange for Explosion KOs. When I made that comment, I was referring to my team and didn't realize how much it would upset dodmen. This was never meant to be an objective comment on SR in gen 5, but memes are powerful.

There is literally nothing the core shredder can't shred.

Most overrated is Suicune. Biggest dark horse is Kyurem.
Have you thought about shaving if you havent already?

What's hairier? The beard or hairy toenail's toenails.

Do you think a Hydreigon suspect is not necessary because the possibility of it getting banned or another reason? Am interested to be honest.

How do you like the memes thrown around about you such as the infamous no Stealth Rock in Gen 5 to having dual Rockers soon after?
I've thought of it but I'm so damn cute with a beard. However nothing is hairier than HT's toenail.

Hydreigon suspect may not be necessary due to the rebalancing of the tier from the loss of Mence, but I'm really on the fence. The question is "what's changed for Hydreigon" and my answer is "the tier in which it operates". A suspect probably couldn't hurt but the justification is very borderline at the moment.

To be honest, I dislike them because I think that community perception is the bulk of this game, and comments like that which ignore my knowledge of the tier only serve to hinder me and make it more difficult to accomplish my goals. However, they ARE funny and my brain realizes that. It's bittersweet. At the end of the day, my teams are unique and serve me well and I'll always keep doing me.
If you could change your username, what would you pick?

Best UU meta you've played?

Thoughts on this:
Kink

I love Gen 6 in general. XY beta was fun, XY was great, and ORAS didn't disappoint.

That was one of my avatars about two years ago, maybe a bit less.

5 extremely antimeta and underrated pokes(total 5)

BU conk or banded?

can u explain the low usage of suicune and entei in open r5?
Rotom-H, Escavalier, Kyurem, Espeon, Mega Houndoom.

Banded.

Yes. Every single team prepares for Suicune in one way or another. I don't even remember the last time any CM Suicune variant ever gave me trouble. Such an overrated mon, but understandably so. Entei is a bit of a one trick pony. 50% is tough to stomach in a competitive environment. Conk could be giving it a little competition considering that Banded Conk Mach Punch hits harder than Entei's E-Speed. Also, personally, the fact that Darm's Scarf Flare Blitz hits harder than Entei's Banded Sacred Fire makes me actually mad.
What's a king without a queen? If you had to pick your Queen UU who would it be, do not let gender restrict your answer
Hogg. And if she was still around, FireLordMako.

describe that in 3 words.

im kidding im glad we could bury the hatchet and also glad to see how you improved :D grats on potw

also what instrument do u play in ur band?
Hide your kids.

Thanks man, I'm also glad we're good now, and I'm even happier to see you involved in the tier the way we talked about months ago. You're a smart guy and we literally benefit from your presence, so keep caring about this tier please :P

I play Keyboard/Synth in the band. Our EP was released on Bandcamp in June: Honeyghost.bandcamp.com if you want to check it out.
Enjoying your holiday so far? Looks like you're having a blast.

Why are the Leafs terrible? (Go Jays btw!)

Top 5 TV shows and/or movies?

Top 5 books?

Because you always ask this question, chocolate or vanilla?

In the not too distant past you were viewed in a very negative light due to your attitude. You've mentioned that you weren't an excellent chat presence in certain groups and felt that it played into your not making of SPL last season. Any advice to new or struggling users that may be looking to turn a corner and engage with the metagame and its playerbase? And maybe a word of advice to the mid-level players looking to up their game and get noticed by the top-tier players?
Dude my head is literally in cloud 9 over here, best trip I've had in a long time. It's more than I could've hoped for, if you catch my meaning.

Playing in Toronto is harder than playing in any city in the world. Pressure is on here and the media is absolute trash. It's no coincidence that the year Kessel leaves he wins a cup.

The Various Star Treks, Game of Thrones, South Park, Family Guy/American Dad, Boy Meets World, and many others. It's been a while since a movie hit close to home.

I don't read as much now that I'm finished uni, and most of what I read was text but... Anything by Niezstche, Foucault, Hume, etc. The more text you read the better. Game of Thrones is a sweet read in terms of Fiction. I'm a big fan of instructional videos and books designed to impart some sort of skill. Recently I read "Getting Past No" by William Ury and it was an exceptionally simple and relatable read.

Chocolate chocolate chocolate fuck.

Don't get frustrated, stay amicable. Post less and only when necessary. Respect the skill of those around you and don't insult the people you "work with". Try not to take anything to heart, as the world is cruel and our skin need be thick. Be light hearted in terms of the humour you offer. Don't put people down to boost yourself up. Be careful who you trust to be silly around (I'm one of those people for you dw) and always make sure that you test gimmicks with those same trustworthy people, lest you get memed.

Listen listen listen. Suspend your assumptions and listen to what the experienced players have to say, even if they sometimes don't explain themselves clearly. Actively listening is the only way to communicate properly and find the value of what the other person(s) is trying to impart. People are placed in key positions for a reason, so hear what they have to say even if you disagree.

Best way to get noticed is to win, let's be honest. Stay classy, and always treat your opponents with respect even if they don't. Same goes with the spectators. Don't insult other people's efforts. Get involved with the main crowd in helpful and jovial ways.

Sacri'

the end is here
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Any particular stuff you want to happen next gen ?
Players you would like to see starting next SPL ?
Favorite tier outside of UU ?
Love ya bro n_n

Kink

it's a thug life ¨̮
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
goals in the tour community?

don't have many questions but a word of thanks for always showing respect to me from when i was a random not-even-ladder-player till now.
True to my name, as much as I hate it, I want to be viewed as the best UU player of all time. Maybe unrealistic, but that's my dream. I want to be the top choice in SPL, win UU Open, and succeed in the upcoming official UU tours that will be revealed to you all soon ;)

No need to thank me brother, you make it easy. Love you and glad to have you as a friend on here.
Any particular stuff you want to happen next gen ?
Players you would like to see starting next SPL ?
Favorite tier outside of UU ?
Love ya bro n_n
I still can't wrap my head around Alolo forms and what does this mean for Megas? I admit I haven't looked into it but does Pokemon really need ANOTHER battling dimension?

Honestly, I want to see you in SPL and those alongside you, such as Manipulative. If Mazz can continue improving, he'd be in good company. You guys are such team players and that's frankly just as important (in my opinion) as your skill. It only takes one bad egg to ruin the flow of an SPL/UUPL team... Cough Spoofy cough.

PU is bomb, I'm really into it. In terms of old gens, love gen 1.

Love you too buddy :)

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
OK Computer or Kid A?

Do you consider yourself a deontologist or a consequentialist, or somewhere in between?

When you read this do you laugh or just shake your head sadly?

In your opinion, what modern philosophers are worth reading? (For the purposes of this question, consider modern to mean someone who is alive today or who reasonably could be alive today based on their age.)

Have you read anything other than Song of Ice and Fire by GRRM?

And, for some more on topic questions...

In your opinion, what was the best UU game you've ever seen as a spectator? (Doesn't have to be from this meta or even this generation - feel free to go as far back as you'd like.)

Is there any non-UU player that you particularly admire?

Favorite tier other than UU?

Kink

it's a thug life ¨̮
OK Computer or Kid A?

Do you consider yourself a deontologist or a consequentialist, or somewhere in between?

When you read this do you laugh or just shake your head sadly?

In your opinion, what modern philosophers are worth reading? (For the purposes of this question, consider modern to mean someone who is alive today or who reasonably could be alive today based on their age.)

Have you read anything other than Song of Ice and Fire by GRRM?

And, for some more on topic questions...

In your opinion, what was the best UU game you've ever seen as a spectator? (Doesn't have to be from this meta or even this generation - feel free to go as far back as you'd like.)

Is there any non-UU player that you particularly admire?

Favorite tier other than UU?
Kid A, it revolutionized the way all people created electronic music.

I consider myself a Pragmatist, I try to look at all ethical theories when faced with a dilemma and utilize the theory that best fits with my moral code. Means, ends, virtues, culture, fears and desires all play into such decision making. in my view, the world is too morally ambiguous to route oneself into a singular moral theory. However, since I'm a very emotional guy I sometimes lose myself in the heat of the moment and fail to live up to the best version of myself and what I believe to be appropriate.

Shake my head sadly. His sister was an irresponsible and ignorant woman.

Depends on what subject you're interested in, but if you're into social epistemology then I highly recommend something by Lorraine Code or Charles Mills. I was taught by the former in my final year. If you are interested in a specific topic let me know and I'll refer you to said philosopher(s).

I've been meaning to read Duncan Egg, but no nothing else. Any recommendations?

Really tough question... Typing as I'm thinking. Kokoloko vs Hikari was fun to watch. Omfuga games are fun to watch. Dodmen games are fun to watch. Christo games are fun to watch. I might have to get back to you. Oh, SPL 5 Omfuga vs Sam was hilarious, that might be my favourite.

Aim seems to be decent in many tiers and is generally a nice guy about it in the process. There's a couple others I respect, but no one I would consider to be a role model, cause I can beat them in UU which is my holy grail. This being said, some names I respect are Advantage as an NU player, Lutra as an RBY player/contributor, and BKC as an overall powerhouse in many many tiers.

PU is fun as fuck lol

IronBullet

Astronomy Domine
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
OK Computer or Kid A?
THE BENDS

Top five Radiohead songs (ridiculously difficult I know but try :P)?

Thoughts on Moon Shaped Pool?

You've been playing really well in UU Open so far man, hope to see a great run from you! What's your mindset going into these big matches?

What are your long-term goals on Smogon as a contributor?

Cool / underrated sets you've used recently?

Which period of gen 6 UU have you found most enjoyable?

Kink

it's a thug life ¨̮
THE BENDS

Top five Radiohead songs (ridiculously difficult I know but try :P)?

Thoughts on Moon Shaped Pool?

You've been playing really well in UU Open so far man, hope to see a great run from you! What's your mindset going into these big matches?

What are your long-term goals on Smogon as a contributor?

Cool / underrated sets you've used recently?

Which period of gen 6 UU have you found most enjoyable?
Jigsaws Falling into Place
15 Step
There There
Reckoner
Present Tense

In Rainbows (2007) was an album of colours. A Moon Shaped Pool is an album of greyscale. I affectionately call it In Greyscale. Compare the songs "Weird Fishes" to "Ful Stop"... Notice the textural polarity yet similarities of the two songs. It's a good record, and a surprising one given their recent desire for loops. Check out Atoms for Peace (supergroup with the bassist from RHCP), Amok is a great album.

Thanks man, I've been having a lot of fun this year. I try my hardest to stay confident and guide my opponents into a false sense of security usually through some sort of feint.

Most "immediate" long-term goal is to be a competent and respectable Tier Leader for UU, but I'm very happy with the current leaders so no rush. Eventually I'd like to join the ranks of SS. I know I don't necessarily think on the same level as some of the higher ups so I think I need more time before I become an adequate consideration. However I do think I have a lot to offer as I've always seen things a little differently than most people. Take the current room culture on PS. You know I've been preaching professionalism and support since 2014 so that the room and the subforum can support each other. It's taken a while, but that mentality has finally caught on, and admittedly it took a strong TL (Hikari) to make that happen.

Scarf Espeon and Calm Mind BP Sylveon are a couple of sets I've been using lately that could be considered left field

First turn around when we had Alakazam. I think it was roughly UUPL 3 era.

Euphonos

inanod ng mga luha; damdamin ay lumaya.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
Congratulations, Kink!

Thoughts on choral music so far? Have you attended choral concerts?

What is that one UU set that you'll never forget when it comes to me?

Oh, and thoughts on the "Pak, Ganern" phenomenon?

rs

STANDING ON BUSINESS
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
KING UU

Which was better experience-wise: managing this past season's Battle Girls or the year before?

Favorite balance core atm?

As a balance player what's the hardest Pokemon to account for and why is it Mamoswine?

Do you ever think you'll get your Social Media/TR badges back for the scroller anytime soon @_@?

Kink

it's a thug life ¨̮
Who do you think is going to win the UU Open?

Edit: if you aren't allowed to pick yourself
The top names are Ice Tea, Vinc, pif, Whitequeen, Killintime, and perhaps even Mazz.

Congratulations, Kink!

Thoughts on choral music so far? Have you attended choral concerts?

What is that one UU set that you'll never forget when it comes to me?

Oh, and thoughts on the "Pak, Ganern" phenomenon?
Choral music is cool, but I've never attended a dedicated concert. Perhaps one day I'll make a surprise visit to one of your shows ;)

Marill...

I have no idea what it means but I like Pak so carry on I suppose.
KING UU

Which was better experience-wise: managing this past season's Battle Girls or the year before?

Favorite balance core atm?

As a balance player what's the hardest Pokemon to account for and why is it Mamoswine?

Do you ever think you'll get your Social Media/TR badges back for the scroller anytime soon @_@?
Last year's experience was top notch, we were really there for each other as a team. This year some of my top players this year decided to fuck off, and a certain Jellicent Hater had a hard time controlling his emotional impulses.

In love with the Celebi, Tenta, Rotom-H core. Throw in a Krook, Sylveon, and Kyurem and WHAM BAM, enjoy the free team.

Lol it's definitely not Mamoswine.

Maybe one day, but not today. TR was a hassle to maintain especially considering how terrible some of the teams you were rating. The guidelines of rating those teams are like putting a bandaid on an open wound. I was really into contributing to social media until a certain admin felt he could unilaterally decide to cancel my smogcast 5 minutes before we went live. Since then, I've had no motivation to contribute to the YouTube channel, for fear that my hour long preparations would be shat on again.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)