UU Player of the Week #19: Sam

Amaroq

Cover me.
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I've been waiting for this one.

Why am I objectively superior to you in every possible way?

What do you think your strengths and weaknesses are as a player and how do you emphasize your strengths and mitigate your weaknesses?

What qualities do you think make a player great?

Who are some UU players that you believe will find success in upcoming UU tournaments and why (i.e. the standard "who are the underrated/up-and-coming players" question)?

Do you prefer team tournaments or individual tournaments, and why?

What did you like the most about your UUPL and other team tournament experiences?

What made you decide to manage during the last UUPL?

Would you want to manage again during this coming UUPL?

If you had to draft a team right now, using the format of UUPL IV, what would your ideal roster look like?

Why is miltankmilk objectively the best Linda in recorded history and why did you not free him during UUPL?

When putting together a roster for a team tournament, what qualities do you value in a player (besides the obvious)?

How proud were you when the Littleroot Lindas reached the UUPL IV finals?

What players who you have not yet played in a tournament setting would you be most excited about facing in a high-profile match and why?

What is the most difficult part of rating teams? What is the thought process you use when rating teams?

How does it feel to know that you were bought for the same price as Pak and I in LTPL, knowing that Pak is worth four of you and I am worth a fourth of you?

Please share your thoughts on this replay.

Why are you the worst player to ever touch ADV UU?

Why am I your favorite student?

How does it feel to know that I am the greatest thing you have ever contributed to Smogon?

How disappointed are you in my continual poor ORAS UU tournament performances?

What is your favorite DBZ story arc?

Do you like to read for pleasure, and, if so, what are your favorite books/genres?

On a scale from 1-Pearl, how cute is my dog?

with the recent baton pass ban, how do you feel about physical suicune's new inability to break down balance cores? (replays were down at the time sorry everyone but you have to download it to see it)

do you think you'd stop losing to memes in pokemon if you stopped spamming memes on skype?

shiba! when are you gonna come and catch this L?!

can we have a SuMo UU beta tour?

real questions-

i know you like balance because having switch ins to stuff is nice, but what exactly makes you so keen on it while a lot of other plays find balance and other bulky playstyles to be on the decline?

pak's hatred for drake kinda drowns out all the rest of us, but from 1-pak, how much do you hate drake yourself?

Hi Shiba! I'm an aspiring UU player and have a few questions for you!

1) Why were you so cheap as to resort to the use of baton pass Celebi in every fucking team you make?

2) Why do you like shitty music like Meek Mill? Is it because you both take L's on a daily basis?

3) Why is DrReuniclus a better UU player than you?

4) and finally why do you sound like a 6'11 220Lb black man who plays basketball for the University of Arizona but in reality you're only a 5'9 white boy with the social skills of a monkey?

I hope you help this aspiring UU main and answer my questions.

r0ady

People like to invent monsters and monstrosities
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Why haven't you won a game against me since 2014?

Why did you leave the Skype group?? I now have to go through the trouble of logging on to ps to call you shibass, shibad, etc.

When will you allow me in a Skype call and confirm that you are indeed a squeaker?

Somewhat legit question, how does it feel that most of the ladder hero's from when we started are now known in someway? (You, toenail, pak, dr, etc)

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
why are you so QUIET

why did nobody upbid you when i needed to burn nominations until i could get who i actually wanted later in ltpl, leaving me STUCK w/ ur ass

mfk - rozes, sam, manipulative

rate me as an ltpl manager 1-10

gimme a paragraph long explanation of that rating

if you gave me a 1-5: gimme a paragraph long explanation as to why i shouldn't bench u after how u answered the above two questions

if you gave me a 6-10: gimme a paragraph long explanation as to why i shouldn't bench u after how you lyingly answered the above two questions

why isn't lyingly a word wtf

who'd win in an irl fight: king uu or ict

-

rs

STANDING ON BUSINESS
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
johned but there was a lot of questions
I have a few questions for user Shiba.
1. How do you feel about
in our current metagame? As seen here it can really break balance which I know you are quite fond of.

IT DIDN'T DO ANYTHING, I JUST GOT FLINCHED LIKE 3 TIMES IN A ROW

2. Today I learned that Bruxish Psychic fangs does 70% to mega blastoise. How does this make you feel and are you excited for SM UU or does it scare you?

I'm more excited about the possibility of Slowbro, Starmie, and Zapdos coming back, those things are my babies <3. WQ mon seems powerful though I guess

3. When you put a bulky water on a team that isn't swampert, how long does it take for your hand to spasm until it is replaced with a swampert?

as a balance main it'd prolly Swampert > Suicune > Milotic > Alomomola > Tentacruel in terms of utility so idk if I would spasm (ok maybe just a little bit). I think Tenta is rly bad as a water/hazard remover on balance or just in general so that's why its last.

4. Where does your lust for Band Metagross come from?

Honestly it 2HKOs the entire tier, complete dark horse set imho, more people should give it a try.
-

5. Why is J Cole's new album gonna be good but Gambino's album was whack?

J. Cole will be a god, Gambino is p bad imo. Excited for Cudi and Drake (dont tell Pak) albums too tbh
wow that team you posted that reflects your playstyle must be really good if it won so many games! can you explain what happened here?
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-433145616

Dirty CTer foh

why do you refuse to play the predicted sumo uu metagame?

it's just a shitty meta that's going to get even shittier once it actually comes out

why do you never manage to beat a meme?

Cause they're impossible to predict LOL

why am I a better Karen than you?

You're not, kiddo. I'm edgier than you so I'd be a better Dark E4 member 100%,,,,,

what are your top 3 favourite dogs? (pics?)

and Uma (anto's dog) if i had a pic :(

how do you feel about all of your friends posting replays of you losing to memes?

What can I say, I'm bad at playing against memes :(

on a scale of 1-10 how much do you hate all of us

In this thread a solid 10
Thoughts on the current Baton Pass discussion going on in policy review?

I doubt anything big is going to happen like BP actually getting banned, but I hope I'll be able to use BP in SM OU and UU if the ORAS ban isnt carried over ;]

Favorite meta from all of gen 6 UU? From other gen 6 tiers?

Probably Zapdos meta, it fit on almost every playstyle and people were actually starting to really like it right before it rose back up to OU :(

What does your ideal meta game look like?

No Mamoswine, no Klefki, add Starmie, Hippo, Zapdos, and maybe even Mega Pidgeot

Most underrated Pokémon in ORAS UU? Most overrated?

Most underrated is definitely Doublade (I think it's almost B+ in VRs?), even with the popularity of Krookodile, blade can clean up on a lot of different teams. Most overrated is Empoleon, I've always thought it was kinda bad even w/ the utility it provides

What would your reaction be if amaROq was a thing

Proud tutor for sure, it's like when Gohan surpasses everyone including Goku in DBZ in the Cell Saga even though he's even still a teenager,,, insanity.

Since you seem to like a lot of terrible memes, what meme can you absolutely not stand?

Harambe memes aren't funny and were never funny, I'm glad its almost dead :D
I've been waiting for this one.

Why am I objectively superior to you in every possible way?

Silly Amaroq, tutees don't surpass tutors :^)

What do you think your strengths and weaknesses are as a player and how do you emphasize your strengths and mitigate your weaknesses?

I think some of my strengths rely on predictions more than anything, like pulling doubles etc. Being unpredictable is really nice, biggest rule about how I play is to never show any kind of patterns in how you play, as it can be pretty damn easy to exploit by the opponent. My weakness is playing against fatter teams I guess, I get impatient easily and just do dumb stuff vs those types of teams. I guess to mitigate that weakness it would just to be more patient lmao

What qualities do you think make a player great?

Being able to build most of your teams and play them well, most people can do one or the other, but a complete player can do both

Who are some UU players that you believe will find success in upcoming UU tournaments and why (i.e. the standard "who are the underrated/up-and-coming players" question)?

I'm still waiting for YABO's breakthrough performance, but I'm expecting people like Pak, yourself, and Accelgor to win something soon. HT will probably win something too but he really isn't underrated ._.

Do you prefer team tournaments or individual tournaments, and why?

Team tournaments, I really like having people working towards the same cause w/ me

What did you like the most about your UUPL and other team tournament experiences?

Creating a 'friend' group throughout seasons :D instead of just bring 'teammates'

What made you decide to manage during the last UUPL?

A lot of people PM'd me and asked me to sign up, I didn't really expect anything though

Would you want to manage again during this coming UUPL?

Sure thing, idk if I'd get a spot though

If you had to draft a team right now, using the format of UUPL IV, what would your ideal roster look like?

NO LEAKING DRAFT PLANS

Why is miltankmilk objectively the best Linda in recorded history and why did you not free him during UUPL?

He still has a perfect record, I couldn't risk it,,,

When putting together a roster for a team tournament, what qualities do you value in a player (besides the obvious)?

Basically anyone with good character, I wouldn't be able to deal with anyone that's not for the team or anything

How proud were you when the Littleroot Lindas reached the UUPL IV finals?

Not as proud as I would've been if we won Finals :P (but still really proud dw)

What players who you have not yet played in a tournament setting would you be most excited about facing in a high-profile match and why?

I would like to play IB sometime, I've always watched and respected how he played in tours. Hopefully he signs up for SPL so we can see him play again :D it's a pretty rare sight nowadays lmao

What is the most difficult part of rating teams? What is the thought process you use when rating teams?

Not replacing the entire team LOL, I usually just identify threats/difficulties against certain playstyles and try to patch up the holes w/o opening up any other ones

How does it feel to know that you were bought for the same price as Pak and I in LTPL, knowing that Pak is worth four of you and I am worth a fourth of you?

I expected nothing else tbh

Please share your thoughts on this replay.

NO MORE MEMES

Why are you the worst player to ever touch ADV UU?

cause the first game I ever played of it was in UUPL LOL, my mistake

Why am I your favorite student?

Cause you're a good contributor now :D you need to work on memeing though, Gogoat isn't good enough

How does it feel to know that I am the greatest thing you have ever contributed to Smogon?

f

How disappointed are you in my continual poor ORAS UU tournament performances?

Not disappointed, but prep is everything, try not to completely CT your opponents

What is your favorite DBZ story arc?

Cell Saga, Gohan was a beast but turned into a wussy after that, thanks DBZ writers

Do you like to read for pleasure, and, if so, what are your favorite books/genres?

I used to read a ton, my favorite books are from the Eragon series, I really enjoyed the setting/story in it. You won't ever see me reading now though :toast:

On a scale from 1-Pearl, how cute is my dog?

PEARL
with the recent baton pass ban, how do you feel about physical suicune's new inability to break down balance cores? (replays were down at the time sorry everyone but you have to download it to see it)

I hate all of you

do you think you'd stop losing to memes in pokemon if you stopped spamming memes on skype?

no, memes are everything

shiba! when are you gonna come and catch this L?!

I've had more embarrassing losses i promise LOL

can we have a SuMo UU beta tour?

~No.~

real questions-

i know you like balance because having switch ins to stuff is nice, but what exactly makes you so keen on it while a lot of other plays find balance and other bulky playstyles to be on the decline?

I realize that other playstyles can find ~balance, but it's really difficult to find complete balance, which is what I strive for when I build my main style if that makes sense. Yeah, bulky playstyles are pretty ass now though, next to no hazard control in this tier w/ Keys are fun

pak's hatred for drake kinda drowns out all the rest of us, but from 1-pak, how much do you hate drake yourself?
his music is okay but Drake hates Meek so :pirate:
Why are you a fucking john?

I'm good at it :toast:
Hi Shiba! I'm an aspiring UU player and have a few questions for you!

1) Why were you so cheap as to resort to the use of baton pass Celebi in every fucking team you make?

BATON PASS IS BANNED NOW, RAUL.

2) Why do you like shitty music like Meek Mill? Is it because you both take L's on a daily basis?

3) Why is DrReuniclus a better UU player than you?

Well he's actually top 1, so you could ask the same thing to every other UU player

4) and finally why do you sound like a 6'11 220Lb black man who plays basketball for the University of Arizona but in reality you're only a 5'9 white boy with the social skills of a monkey?

I got it from my 6'7" uncle, I didn't get his height though,,,

I hope you help this aspiring UU main and answer my questions.
Why haven't you won a game against me since 2014?

I'm fine with this statistic as long as I didn't go 1-5 in UUPL d;^)~

Why did you leave the Skype group?? I now have to go through the trouble of logging on to ps to call you shibass, shibad, etc.

you can add me back idrc, I thought you quit though :O

When will you allow me in a Skype call and confirm that you are indeed a squeaker?

I am most definitely a squeaker, all the others can confirm, trust them

Somewhat legit question, how does it feel that most of the ladder hero's from when we started are now known in someway? (You, toenail, pak, dr, etc)

I mean, getting to the top of the ladder consistently can mean something. Look at xMarth, during the SPL draft he was known for being on top of ladder a good amount of times and he actually got drafted and did really well. So I guess it's kinda refreshing to see that raging on ladder can actually amount to something in the future :toast:
play me now

S U N D A Y :toast:
why are you so QUIET

if i don't know people that well I don't talk that much :(

why did nobody upbid you when i needed to burn nominations until i could get who i actually wanted later in ltpl, leaving me STUCK w/ ur ass

sorry UU pool was pretty stacked :(, maybe it was a blessing though :toast:

mfk - rozes, sam, manipulative

m - rozes - im forcing him to go back to metaphysical though
f - sam - we can halo and chill
k - Manipulative - brought stall against me in ltpl,,,,

rate me as an ltpl manager 1-10

10, you were the only one that bid on me :D

gimme a paragraph long explanation of that rating

if you gave me a 1-5: gimme a paragraph long explanation as to why i shouldn't bench u after how u answered the above two questions

if you gave me a 6-10: gimme a paragraph long explanation as to why i shouldn't bench u after how you lyingly answered the above two questions

Dear Finchinator,

I come to you with a heavy heart at the thought of you benching me because I lied on the prestigious Lower Tier Premier League Team, the Stunt-or-Die Steelix. The thought of you benching me does not have me stunting, but rather, has me close to dying in a sense. However, I am here on this miserable day to tell you why you shouldn't bench me on this prestigious team. For one, I will become the best stunter on the team and won't take a L from my respected opponents unless they bring the one and only fatal playstyle known as Stall. I also will promise to bring nothing but the hot variety that has the "SmogTours Lobby™" typing nothing but "holy shit that's some flames" in the chat. I hope you forgive me and consider my proposal.

With Best Regards,
Shiba

why isn't lyingly a word wtf

idk we should make a protest about that or smth

who'd win in an irl fight: king uu or ict

king uu

-

-
do you sexually identify as a slidewhistle?

I wish
Why is raticate your kryptonite?

YOU DODGED DRAGON TAIL

Manipulative

Camila <3
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Sorry for the delay! I've got another interview for you all now and I'll leave it down below. Feel free to look for it in the OP as well though.

Can you tell us a bit about yourself?
Hi, I’m Rodrigo, but everybody calls me Rodri. I’m 17 and still working on my High School Diploma which means that I’ve plenty of free time to spend with my family, friends and my pets. I feel like I’m a very sociable and quiet guy. Mi favorite sport is definitely tennis, but I love watching soccer… specially when it comes to support my team, Athletic de Bilbao. In the future, I would like to become robotic engineer.

Most known for?
For being the sexiest one, pls. Haha, just kidding (maybe not). I feel that comes from my Grand Slam run, Tournament in which I reached the finals. Also, I’m getting pretty well-known between the UU Community due to my UU Majors run. Finally I get to qualify for some Ladders tournaments like Rult or OLT play offs, however I didn’t get too far on those Tour.

Favorite Pokemon?
There are a few mons that I like a lot, but if you ask me to choose one… Lapras would my choice. I love his design, typing and also how it sounds when I send it out to the field. Besides when I saw the Pokemon anime Lapras was one of the main characters.

Most Used Pokemon?
Sylveon, definitely Sylveon. I just can’t live without that mon. Just by adding it to a UU team, you can check/counter very important threats such as Hydreigon and Conkeldurr. The support that this Pokémon provides to the team and how easy is to partner with are the two main reasons for which I use it so much.

What brought you to Smogon and competitive Pokemon in general?
I’ve never been a gamer, to be honest. In fact, Pokémon is the only game I play and enjoy. The reason why started playing this game was the Pokémon anime, which I used to watch when I was a child. One day, I saw a YT video about VGC and I knew that I wanted to play this game. Singles was my favorite format, so I searched a way to play it competitively… And that’s how I found Pokémon Showdown. At the very beginning, I just played Random Battles and not that much. As I was meeting people that shared the same passion, I started to play a lot more. I played in several Forums before this one and I sign up on Smogon when I felt ready to stand out in a Tournament… And it wasn’t easy at all, but I finally reached my objective.

What is your favorite Generation of Pokemon and why?
My favorite gen is ORAS, the one that I know the most. I don’t have that much to choose, to be honest, especially because I started in XY and I didn’t even know what the hell an EV was.I’ve played old gens too, but there are only a few tournaments to play them… So I feel that I didn’t have the time to enjoy it yet.

Thoughts on the current metagame of ORAS UU?
I personally like the current UU metagame, especially because some of my favorite Pokémon are all very viable and I feel very comfortable building in this tier. However,I think that UU is a bit centralized due to some mons that are so good doing their job that there's no reason not to use them . The recent Klefki drop might bring more hazard stacking ofensive teams.

What is your favorite playstyle?
In general, stall. Since I began playing this game I liked to stall my opponents. I’m not sure why, maybe because I’m a patient person, but I definitely like playing fat teams that eat every hit for breakfast. However, I don’t play that much stall on tournaments: it’s not that funny when your opponent brings 5 stall breakers. Nevertheless, my favorite playstyle in the UU metagame is balanced. I feel like balance is the easiest playstyle to build and play, is very viable and the most part of the top tier Pokémon are staples on balance teams.

Do you think any playstyle is blatantly dominant or weak in the metagame?
Mmm… I’d say stall. I’m not saying that there aren’t good stall mons in the tier, but it’s pretty easy to pressure that playstyle in the current meta. Very common Pokémon with very common sets are good enough to beat stall in UU (Calm Mind Chandelure, Taunt Krookodile, Leech Seed Celebi…).

Thoughts on S/M so far?
I haven’t played too much Sun & Moon for now, but from what I’ve seen I feel like UU will be the funniest tier to play. I’ve already talked this with some friends and we all agree that When the tier will be stabilized the tier will be very enjoyable to play. Also, this is the first “generation change” that I experience, as between XY and ORAS there’s not too much difference. Z-Moves, new Pokémon… I like all that stuff. The thing that I like the least from the new metagame, are the Terrains (Psychic, Grassy…) but we’ll be ok at the end. I am really looking forward to see every tier get stabilized and enjoy the new metagame.

Can you tell us about your experience in Grand Slam as well as UU Majors so far? Also, what advice would you give to newer tournament players who strive to reach that level of play?
My Grand Slam experience was just incredible. When the WCoP began, a bunch of old friends that “grew up” with me were chosen to play that Tournament and they were doing all an amazing job, growing as a player and finding their place in the Smogon community. However, me, I didn’t get to play the World Cup because I didn’t show the best of my abilities during the season. After all, I knew that I was good enough to play at that level, I didn’t want to stay behind all my buddies… So I signed up in the Smogon Grand Slam. I lost several Opens pretty quickly (NU, DOU, LC) which discouraged me a lot until I realize how well I was doing in the UU Open. Unfortunately, I lost to King UU in a very close series which made me depend on the Ubers and PU Opens. When I saw I had to face ZF in the Ubers Open I told to myself “Well, it’s been fun” but I managed to get a W and stay alive in the Tournament, reaching the GS Play Offs with no help, with a worse knowledge about the tier than the other classified people. I managed to pass Round 1agains sacri which made me face Ciele, the player that beated me in OLT. So I prepared the match up very carefully and I did very well on the series. I think that was the moment in which people started betting for me. Reaching semi-finals was an achievement for me, but I knew that I had the capability to win the whole thing so I did my best in order to prepare my match up versus my good friend DennisEG. After playing a very close BO5, I managed to reach the Grand Slam Final. I unfortunately lost 0-3 that Final vs ICT. However I was still very satisfied of my GS run, watching so much people supporting me, showing my level of play even on the tiers that I don’t usually play.
My UU Majors experience was also very pleasant. On the first rounds I didn’t see me as one of the favorites, as I had big players such as King UU, Sacri and Meru on my pool. I built a bunch of funny stally teams (Tangela <3) for that Tour and managed to make a 8-1 score, being the first of my pool and therefore entering the playoffs. Since I played GS, UU was the tier that I enjoyed and experienced the most. The thing that I liked the most from that Tour was the fact of knowing the UU community, meeting a lot of nice and cool people. There’s no doubt in my mind the UU community is the one that I like the most.
I advice the new players to enjoy every Tournament they play, this is the most important thing. But don’t be conformist, work hard to get better and better. Something I used to do during those tournaments was watching my replays, even If I won that game, I analyzed it and thought about what could I’ve done better. That’s how you improve, when winning is not enough, when the most important play is to win the game by playing immaculately. Is so much valuable learning Pokémon that learning a tier. If you know how to play that game, there won’t be bad tiers for you.

Who are some of your favorite people in the Smogon Community?
Juanen and Trosko: they’re both always supporting me in every Tournament I play. Also, there are a lot of people that I appreciate such as Lcans, The50mph, Poek and Carloo. And finally my family in this game that there are FK guys, They're so much to mention them all but they all know who I'm talking about

Finally can you provide for us a team that you think reflects your current playstyle with a brief explanation of how it works?
http://pastebin.com/yypTsvmB

Yeah, sure. I built this team for the GS Quarter Finals and it has already given me many important victories in Uu majors. It is a pretty standard fat balance build overall, with a lot of top tier mons. In fact, if I remember correctly, this team hasn’t lost a game in official tours yet.
Sylveon+Celebi+Suicune+Krookodile is a very strong combination that matches up well against almost the entire metagame. There’s no doubt in my mind Sylveon is the best support mon in the tier, while Signal Beam Celebi lets me 1v1 opposing Celebis and still hit Hydreigon pretty hard. Suicune is a solid win condition and my Entei counter, Krookodile has my favorite set which is 3 atks + Taunt with Rocky Helmet… Krook is that kind of mon that is useful in every single match up. Finally, Haze Crobat in order to keep in check set up sweepers such as Cobalion. And Mega-Aggron, a fat steel type that sets up rocks.

----------

Thank you for your time and the great interview, Rodri! If you have any questions that you would like to ask him, feel free to leave them below. I'll be back next week with another interview!

Kink

it's a thug life ¨̮
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I'm your biggest fan rodri!

Seeing as how you're newish here, how do you feel about Smogon's tournament scene? Do you find it challenging or are you just blistering through the competition?

Will you be competing/playing in gen 7? play for me in UUPL 5? :)

have you considered joining battling 101 as a UU tutour?

what do you want to be when you grow up?

chocolate or vanilla?

why are u so good omg

when did you start playing tournaments?

what are some of your favorite tournament games you've had?

is there anyone you look up to as a player? if so, who?

favorite artist or type of music?

favorite tv show?

Woooooo hey Rodri :)

What do you think about the Spanish community actually? It is evolving more and more and it's having much more impact on important tours than before (You and Lcans on Majors Finals, 3 players in the semifinals of Slam, Dennis reaching RU Open finals, Carloo reaching UU Open finals, Poek winning OLT, Posho reaching Stour finals and a lot more lmao)

I saw that you love tennis! What is in your opinion the best player actually and why?

Do you think that Gen 7 UU is gonna be better or worse than ORAS UU? Why?

Any Overrated Pokémon in UU? Any Underrated Pokémon in UU?

Thanks in advance and gl on finald rodri! (Although I'm rooting for Lcans haha)

Last edited:
Sorry for the delay, enjoy and Happy new year everyone!
I'm your biggest fan rodri!

you have good taste :*

Seeing as how you're newish here, how do you feel about Smogon's tournament scene?
Do you find it challenging or are you just blistering through the competition?

My english is so bad, I dont understand nothing :'(.

Will you be competing/playing in gen 7? play for me in UUPL 5? :)
Yea, When the tiers will be stabilized I will play a lot of. Of course *.*
have you considered joining battling 101 as a UU tutour?
I dont considere that but It would be cool.

what do you want to be when you grow up?
robotic engineer
chocolate or vanilla?
Cholaate *_*
when did you start playing tournaments?
I started the last year

what are some of your favorite tournament games you've had?
My series againts Ciele/Denniseg in GS and my series against Stallion in Majors. This probably are the series that I prepared more and Were fun.
is there anyone you look up to as a player? if so, who?
Righ now no one, but before when he played more, I look up The Ender as player.
favorite artist or type of music?
Aerosmith and Rock/Pop-Rock
favorite tv show?
I dont watch much TV
Woooooo hey Rodri :)

What do you think about the Spanish community actually? It is evolving more and more and it's having much more impact on important tours than before (You and Lcans on Majors Finals, 3 players in the semifinals of Slam, Dennis reaching RU Open finals, Carloo reaching UU Open finals, Poek winning OLT, Posho reaching Stour finals and a lot more lmao)
I love Hispanic comunnity, I think that this "new generations" of hispanic players come very strong. All of them are very cools friends that keep doing well on the next tours that they participate.

I saw that you love tennis! What is in your opinion the best player actually and why?
Andy murray is a solid player that I always have admired, He is very constant and he deserve his top 1.
Do you think that Gen 7 UU is gonna be better or worse than ORAS UU? Why?
I think that will be better than Oras UU because There would be more variety in the building.
Any Overrated Pokémon in UU? Any Underrated Pokémon in UU?
Empoleon, Idk why people like this moon, i think that there are better waters types in the tier. Reuniclous, this moon can break some standars teams very easy.
Thanks in advance and gl on finald rodri! (Although I'm rooting for Lcans haha)
Trosko amame :*

Manipulative

Camila <3
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Got another interview for you all and I'll leave it right down below. Feel free to look for it in the OP as well.

Sam
Can you tell us a bit about yourself?
Hello, I am a 23 year old currently residing in the suburbs of Philadelphia. I graduated this past summer with a degree in chemical engineering. Besides mons I'm pretty in to sports and photography, and am known for being a lover of fragrance.

Most known for?
Being an admin. Before that, being a super mod and an SPL manager. Before that, being UUTL. Before that, nothing really.

Favorite Pokemon?
Starmie

Most Used Pokemon?
Dunno, I try to be varied. Probably Mega Aero or Sylveon.

What brought you to Smogon and competitive Pokemon in general?
Way back when at the start of BW (when they still used the Japanese names), one of my friends found Pokemon Online and we played DPP UU together and on the PO server for a bit. That friend lost interest, but I stuck around and was pretty much a ladder hero on Smogon. I made an account in 2011 but didn't really get involved much until the end of 2013. At that time, XYUU beta started and I became involved in the community.

What is your favorite Generation of Pokemon and why?
Probably Gen 3. Competitively it is the most fun. I don't care for in-game that much and don't have a ton of nostalgia for the originals.

Thoughts on the current metagame of ORAS UU?

It's pretty fun. A lot of people feel obligated to use standard as hell balance teams but there's a ton to explore outside of those.

What is your favorite playstyle?
In my heart I always have a soft spot for offense.

Do you think any playstyle is blatantly dominant or weak in the metagame?
Not really. Like I said before I think people restrict themselves to their cookie-cutter balance teams because it feels 'safe', but there's a ton of underutilized things that can threaten balance pretty easily. Offense is very good, but a little hindered by how well mons like Sylveon can cover a variety of things in one slot. Stall, like always, has its good and bad matchups.

Thoughts on S/M so far?
Haven't dabbled in to UU alpha too much yet, but I've enjoyed what I've played of OU.

Can you tell us about your experience in SPL and whether you plan on ever playing in it again? Also, what advice would you give to newer tournament players who strive to reach that level of play?
My experience playing SPL is pretty much getting picked up as a random at the end of the auction and being forced to start. I did well (4-2 in UU) and suddenly people knew who I was. I'd love to play again sometime, but managing is also a very fun experience and I don't see myself giving that up. For new players, focus on playing tournaments. Play against well known players. Ladder rank and random replays don't really do much.

Who are some of your favorite people in the Smogon Community?
There's way too many to list. The people I hang out with on Discord, UU friends, other members of Senior Staff, etc. Shoutouts McMeghan for being the only other person interested in PTCG!

Finally can you provide for us a team that you think reflects your current playstyle with a brief explanation of how it works?

Espeon @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Morning Sun
- Psyshock
- Dazzling Gleam

Krookodile @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Pursuit

Entei @ Choice Band
Ability: Pressure
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sacred Fire
- Flare Blitz
- Stone Edge
- Extreme Speed

Celebi @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Substitute
- Giga Drain
- Recover

Blastoise-Mega @ Blastoisinite
Ability: Mega Launcher
EVs: 100 HP / 252 SpA / 156 Spe
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Dark Pulse
- Rapid Spin

Mienshao @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Reckless
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Stone Edge

Here's a team a built to use against Christo for LTPL. I built the team a few minutes before I had to play him and didn't even bother testing it. I had the idea the CM Espeon would do well vs him, and that turned out to be true. The Celebi set may seem weird but nothing is more frightening than a boosted Celebi behind a sub. The set can deo well if Hydreigon gets lured or weakened, which Espeon and Entei can do. I forget what the Blastoise EVs are for but it's a pretty good check to a ton of things, and the Rocky Helmet on Krook is to wear things down (mostly Aero). Mienshao covers most weaknesses and has a very good matchup vs offense.

----------

Thank you for your time and the great interview, Sam! If you have any questions that you would like to ask him, feel free to leave them below. I'll be back next week with another interview!

ur so cool bro, holy cow

why do i always think ur into hardcore? i think its a reasonable extrapolation from punk, but maybe i'm just reaching
when r we hanging out???
as an admin, can u force llamas to give me control over ru np song picks? i'm tired of being privvy to this commune of un-taste
how does it feel to get haxxed hard by new age bkc and have him respond w/"lol, facts b"?
how many triangle / mirc jokes does it take to screw in a light bulb?

Hey Sam !

1. If i remember correctly, Halo3 is your favorite. What's your favorite map for Competitive 4v4 and for Big team? (2 answers)
2. If you could quick ban any mon from UU Alpha right now, what would it be?
3. What do you get when you cross an elephant and a mountain goat? Nothing. a mountain goat is a scalar. (for real though congrats on graduating you are smart af)

What is your favourite campaign level from the Halo series?

Are you familiar with competitive Halo? If yes, what is the best event ever hosted in your opinion? Best series played?

Have you played Halo 5? What do you think of it in comparison to the other games in the franchise, and do you think it is a good direction for the franchise?

Best power weapon in Halo history?

Who is the best character, and why is it Sgt Johnson?

What are some other games you play?

Back to Pokémon, what is the most underrated set or Pokémon in the tier. Most overrated?

Which adv format is the best?

Which gen do you enjoy the least competitively?

If you could bring something from ou into uu, what would you bring down?

If you could make a change to any format in any generation, what would you change?

Why are uu's np song choices a million times better than other tiers?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)