Gen 3 UU RMT

Hi. Long time lurker, first time poster. I'm sure many of you have beaten me several times on NB. Anyhoo I was hoping to get some advice on my UU team ...

Primeape (M) @ Choice Band
Trait: Vital Spirit
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Brick Break
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ghost]
- Rock Slide

Has worked surprisingly well as lead. Typical CBer.

Aggron (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Rock Head
EVs: 156 HP / 252 Atk / 20 Def / 80 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Focus Punch
- Hidden Power [Rock]
- Roar
- Substitute

Normal/Flying resist and phazer.

Blastoise (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Torrent
EVs: 212 HP / 16 Atk / 148 Def / 116 SAtk / 16 SDef
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Earthquake
- Rapid Spin
- Surf
- Toxic

Spinner and Gligar counter. Takes Fire/Ice hits as well.

Vileplume (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Chlorophyll
EVs: 244 HP / 56 Def / 16 Spd / 56 SAtk / 136 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Aromatherapy
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Stun Spore

Cleric and Water/Grass/Electric resist. Stun Spore because I find paralysis more useful than sleep.

Sharpedo (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Rough Skin
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Spd / 252 SAtk
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Crunch
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Ice Beam
- Surf

Late game special sweeper.

Gligar (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Hyper Cutter
EVs: 196 HP / 136 Atk / 108 Def / 68 Spd
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Flying]
- Quick Attack
- Swords Dance

Standard fighting/ground resist.

Any comments suggestions would be greatly appreciated, paticularly regarding EV spreads.

Sharpedo likes Endure/Salac. Makes for a great Reversal counter and sweeper combined. I would boot off Blastoise tho, you might want a powerful Normal type. Granbull, Fearow or Kangaskhan come to mind.

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Very nice, I especially like your Aggron and Blastoise. One thing is sure, however, and that is normal resist. You have Aggron, but many things, such as Granbull and Kangaskhan opt for the non-cb route. Gligar is probably defensible enough to outspeed in set up and take them down, but that's situational. Sharpedo could also force them to switch, but they have to be dealt later.

Hitmontop with Bulk Up, HJK, Rock Slide, Rest / Mach Punch / EQ could work well. It has Intimidate, decent defense, and defense boost from Bulk Up to pull this imo. With Aggron and Sharpedo, Psychics are little threat, so that's good.

I like Salac Berry on Gligar. It's especially nice after a swords dance or two. With Sharpedo's Rough Skin, Quick Attack seems a bit redundant, but I guess we could never be too sure. I'd give it Substitute to absorb status (and a sure-fire way of setting up salac) or Iron Tail to deal with Lunatone and Solrocks. I'll make sure it's faster than those two ( > 227 Speed).

Sharpedo with Leftovers may come in handy from time to time, but Endure and Salac boost is a great way at getting those opposing pokemon having salac boost and are sweep-ready. HP Grass could easily be replaced by Endure, since Crunch hits waters hard enough, and Vileplume and Blastoise should take care of Omastars and Quagsires.

Thank you for your suggestions, I've been trying some of them out.

Sharpedo is now running Endure/Salac, whilst Gligar is running Sub/Salac - it's working great on the shark, on the scorpion ... I'm still not sure, I will have to test it some more.

Blastoise is gone, but rather than a normal type I opted for Lanturn to help Vileplume with the Special Walling ...

Lanturn (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Volt Absorb
EVs: 52 HP / 92 Spd / 168 SAtk / 196 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Substitute
- Surf
- Thunder Wave
- Thunderbolt

Vileplume has changed a bit as a result ...

Vileplume (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Chlorophyll
EVs: 244 HP / 56 Atk / 56 Def / 16 SAtk / 136 SDef
Sassy Nature (+SDef, -Spd)
- Aromatherapy
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Stun Spore

I switched Primape for Hitmontop for a while, but found I was really missing the Sleep Immunity, and setting Top up was proving difficult. However rather than returning to the ugly-pig monkey, I thought I'd try an old favourite ...

Banette (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Insomnia
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Imprison
- Shadow Ball
- Will-O-Wisp

I realise that its less sturdy than top, and slower than Ape, but so far he's not doing badly.

Again any comments, or help with Vileplume's EV's would be greatly appreciated.

Pocket

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Banette's usually have D-Bond over Imprison and perhaps a salac on it, too. If Banette is working for you, that's all well, I could see it working against opposing Vileplumes and Hypnos. If you want a fighter for that slot, CB HItmonlee is always a good choice ... prolly the best uu cb fighter imo.

monkfish

what are birds? we just don't know.
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I would prefer Thunder Wave over Will-O-Wisp on Imprison Banette. Your team as a whole is quite slow, and it means that Banette won't get T-Waved (WoW isn't nearly as common in UU so you don't really need to worry about it).

I would run EQ on Sharpedo with a +Atk -Def nature, it's always good to be able to hit the special walls hard. I do appreciate that the 2 main walls are Psychic types, but Sharpedo makes such a good mixed sweeper that I find it a waste to limit him to just special.

I'm quite partial to Knock Off on Banette in UU. Normal choicers that might come in on a whim hate losing their items, since, afterwards, they can't do shit to anything, and defensive walls lose their efficacy without lefties, given that wish support is minimal and few things are steadily bulky enough to rest all day long.

Cross chop over brick break is an option for primeape, cause he'll do much more damage with cross chop.

monkfish

what are birds? we just don't know.
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Knock Off is indeed a good move but it does not complement the Imprison set - on an Annoyer it is useful with WoW to render attackers practically useless. Personally the Imprison set has always been my favourite.

CC is generally a bad choice with its low pp and reliability. Brick Break also has the benefit of smashing Reflects which are quite common in UU.

In ADV UU, I doubt Primeape would last more than 8 turns, meaning running out of PP will probably never be a problem.

However, I'd say go back to Blastoise as opposed to Lanturn. The Rapid spin can help out a lot, and Lanturn's ground weakness is what's making it look so unattractive.

I also doubt Aggron would survive anything to Roar..examples: Bulk Up Granbull with EQ, CM'ers, Bulk Up Fighters. So might as well put Tuhnder wave and have a little para team going on there. It'll help Sharpedo sweep tbh.

If you truly want a special wall, Hypno's the way to go dude.

However, I'd say go back to Blastoise as opposed to Lanturn. The Rapid spin can help out a lot, and Lanturn's ground weakness is what's making it look so unattractive.

I'm sorry you'll have to explain that to me ... why does a ground weakness make it so unattractive.

I also doubt Aggron would survive anything to Roar..examples: Bulk Up Granbull with EQ, CM'ers, Bulk Up Fighters. So might as well put Tuhnder wave and have a little para team going on there. It'll help Sharpedo sweep tbh.

It only ever Roars from behind its sub.

If you truly want a special wall, Hypno's the way to go dude.

I've tried him before and I'm not a fan ...

Blastoise is indeed better than Lanturn, because Gligar will have an easier set-up if you have Lanturn in your team. If Gligar gets a Sub up and you don't have Blastoise, it's pretty much gg for you.

As Aeroblacktyl recommended Hypno as your Special wall, he is correct there as well. Hypno with Wish/Protect/Seismic Toss/filler walls every single UU Special sweeper barring a Crunch Manetric that gets to drop its Sp Def. Lanturn gets swept by HP Grass Electrics, Sunnyplume, CM Grumpig and other major threats.

If you want a Phazer instead of Aggron, keep Blastoise and put Roar on him either over Rapid Spin or Toxic.

Pocket

I'd also stick with Blastoise, because your primary defense (Vileplume and Aggron) aren't taking EQ well. You have Gligar, but it is also a semi-sweeper, so you don't want it to absorb too much hits that it is rendered incompetent. Many EQers have means to threaten Gligar's health, so having an extra pokemon to absorb EQ wouldn't hurt...much better than adding another EQ weak at least.

OK I've gone back to Blastoise, and made him the phaser, Aggron now has TWave, and I've changed Banette to Knock Off/Will-o-Wisp user.

I'll see how this works out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)