UU Simple Questions Thread

swampert, nidoqueen, rhyperior. they all still take a lot, but not quite 50%
252+ SpA Mold Breaker Mega Ampharos Dragon Pulse vs. 248 HP / 244 SpD Rhyperior: 208-246 (48 - 56.8%)
252+ SpA Mold Breaker Mega Ampharos Dragon Pulse vs. 240 HP / 0 SpD Swampert: 199-235 (49.6 - 58.6%)
252+ SpA Mold Breaker Mega Ampharos Dragon Pulse vs. 208 HP / 0 SpD Nidoqueen: 210-247 (56.3 - 66.2%)

koko you trippin

Mahmudkipz Gastrodon works fairly well in stopping mega ampharos (if it has spDef investment) but there really isn't much else, hence why this monster is so threatening.

When will Drought and Drizzle be tested? What is the common opinion on whether or not either of them is broken, if there is a common opinion? Why would they possibly be broken?

I'm pretty sure most players are already convinced that Drought and especially Drizzle are too powerful for UU, with almost all of the weather abusers being available in the tier (Swift Swim, Chlorophyll, Dry Skin, Solar Power, or even just strong things that appreciate a boost to their Water/Fire moves or Solarbeam coverage) and all of the best checks to those playstyles being locked away in OU. Basically, weather would just become way too centralizing if it re-enters the tier.

As for when the re-test will occur, there's a thread about tiering decisions with a schedule of re-tests that is being followed to an extent; they're going to be the last things tested according to that list.

I'm trying to find good 3-mon Offensive cores that are good at covering each other, while providing good offensive momentum. Any suggestions?

Sage

From the River To the Sea
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
A solid Volt Turn core is Victini Mega Ampharos Crobat, they all provide something special, Crobat with Defog support and strong Brave Birds, Ampharos checks like 75% of the tier and has a slow volt switch, along with heal bell if you like that. Victini nukes things with V Create and can catch some hard checks off guard with Energy Ball. Great core to start with, for balance just pair with a rocks setter, wish passer, defensive backbone (these roles can be fulfilled by 2 mons at the same time), and then a scarfer or set up sweeper.

Last edited:
Can anyone please list another check/counter to the following Bliss + Water defensive cores? (except Toxicroak)
Bliss+Alomomola:
Bliss+Quagsire:
Bliss+Swampert:
Bliss+Vaporeon:
Bliss+Suicune:
Bliss+Phys Def Jellicent:

The check/counter should not fear burns from Scald.

Can anyone please list another check/counter to the following Bliss + Water defensive cores? (except Toxicroak)
Bliss+Alomomola:
Bliss+Quagsire:
Bliss+Swampert:
Bliss+Vaporeon:
Bliss+Suicune:

Besides the obvious SD Lum Virizion, there are TrickWisp Scarf Rotom Mow, Sableye (kinda mind Scald burns), Guts Machamp with Knock Off, Nasty Plot Jynx with Psyshock, SD Cacturne, Max HP SubSeed Shaymin/Gourgeist, Lum Harvest Trevenant, SD Celebi, Taunt Roost Noivern (if no Ice Beam on any of the mons).

CoolStoryBrobat

The hero Smogon needs, but not the one it deserves
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Bliss+Alomomola:
Bliss+Quagsire:
Bliss+Swampert:
Bliss+Vaporeon:
Bliss+Suicune:

Swords Dance Cacturne (if you're really about that life)
Reuniclus (CM Reuniclus wins against all except Quagsire and Jellicent packing Taunt. LO Trick Room Reuniclus can win against them all 1v1 though you need just a smidge of prior damage to reliably 2HKO Blissey)
Expert Belt/LO mixed Victini with Energy Ball (I guess switching in on Scald is an issue though this is more of a 'lure' for bulky waters anyway)

But my absolute personal favorite is mixed Critdra with Waterfall and Draco Meteor. Blows all those guys right into next week, and has no issue setting up on bulky waters. The only thing you probably truly have to worry about is being burned by Scald with a healthy Blissey still in the stocks, since with the right EVs you can 2HKO it with Crit Waterfall.

Royalty

Confused, truth is what I choose
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I've started using bulky sub dd kingdra to some decent success, not the most effective thing but it does have its merits for setting up on bulky waters.

What is the optimal spread for a SD LO Toxicroak?
As of now I would run Max Speed Jolly just for outrunning Togekiss and Chandelure, both of which are great threats you would want to outspeed and KO with Gunk Shot cuz you don't wanna Sucker a Chandy while it subs/trick/memento (Jolly Gunk Shot ohkos Chandy at +2 after rocks iirc)

Adamant max speed honchkrow is what all the cool defensive base 100s speed creep, and I know a lot of things are now outspeeding -1 band tini (or -2 scarf tini, 1 is slightly faster) Crobat tends to beat max speed noivern, and mega-aero aims for outspeeding max speed crobat after mega-ing.

Clone

Free Gliscor
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Is there a thread or something that has the ruling on scald? I heard it was banned but can't find anything anywhere.

Who are good candidates for Bulk Up sets? The popular ChestoRest Tornadus comes to mind but how will this work for other endgame sweepers?

Tornadus
Item: Chesto Berry
Ability: Prankster/Defiant
Moveset:
- Bulk Up
- Rest
- Acrobatics
- Superpower

Infernape seems good on paper, having lower stats overall, but boasting different weaknesses, STAB priority, and the complete impunity from Prankster Will-O-Wisp even after already using Rest. (EV and nature suggestions?)

Infernape
Item: Chesto Berry
Ability: Iron Fist
Moveset:
- Bulk Up
- Rest
- Mach Punch
- Acrobatics

Granbull is better off with its RestTalk Heal Bell set. Mienshao is flimsier than Infernape, though far flimsier things have pulled off decent Bulk Up sets (t___nf___e). Gallade is bulkier, has Drain Punch, and can replace Rest with Substitute. Scrafty is much tougher to kill, can possibly Rest an additional turn with Shed Skin, or get a free turn to boost with Intimidate, but has a crippling x4 Fairy weakness.

Last edited:
wasteofspace tornadus is pretty good, but i dont think superpower triggers defiant, so prankster is probably better.

Infernape is pretty bad tbh regarding BU, its better off with SD or NP. Its bulk is pretty bad.

Scrafty is a good option thanks to intimidate and shed skin. shed skin is probably the better option, but intimidate gives you a free +1 by switching in.

The only other slow boosters (while not so much BU) is CurseLax and Curse mega aggron. curse lax deserves a very special mentio. due to its great special bulk, resist to FIRE (Victini, darm) and becomes nigh impossible to ko on both sides of the spectrum. Psyshock is useless. Thr only thing youd have to fear is shao and ape.

Bliss+Alomomola:
Bliss+Quagsire:
Bliss+Swampert:
Bliss+Vaporeon:
Bliss+Suicune:

You could use SD mega Abomasnow. At +2 burned, its can still 2hko most of them with seed bomb. Definitely underrated threat imo

Edit: trick rotom-c destroys the waters while crippling blissey with trick as well and is special so dont care about scald...

Ununhexium

I closed my eyes and I slipped away...
is a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Actually scrafty I'd a bad option. Its wrecked by every single fairy and has no way to boost its okay Special Defense

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)