UU Simple Questions Thread

What roles do they play? Sorry but I'm new to the whole team building thing and I wanted a well balanced team, unless it's more viable to fill a team with sweepers and have them all piggy back on umbreon, but that just seems silly :D
Mega Aerodactyl tends to be a fast cleaner , revenge killer, taunter, and general "fuck your offense, I have a mega."

Swampert fits the hazard setting part of your team as it tends to be pretty reliable in getting rocks up, though taunters are almost always going to outrun it. It's also pretty fat, so you'll be able to bring it in multiple times through a match, and keep hazards up.

Last edited:

FatCorgi

Banned deucer.
Would a Complete Defensive Set With 252 Hp and 252 Def be viable on Rotom-H ?

Normally, Rotom H doesn't handle Phy threats well, if you're in the mindset to handle Phy Threats like Mence than maybe 252 def would be something to keep in mind. Rotom H does have pretty solid base Def/Sp.Def, but it's usually threatened by Sp.Atk mons, Ice beams, Fire blast, things of that such.

Last edited:
Eh, if you're using Rotom H to check things like Mence, than this wouldn't be a bad idea. But Generally Rotom H doesn't run 252 Def.
But Rotom Wash in OU for example is completely Defensive and It works why would Rotom Heat with full defensive Investment wouldn't work in UU ?

FatCorgi

Banned deucer.
But Rotom Wash in OU for example is completely Defensive and It works why would Rotom Heat with full defensive Investment wouldn't work in UU ?
UU and OU have different threats. Rotom W and Rotom H also check different pokemon. Yeah, they're both Rotom, and yeah they're both running the same stats, but their typings and movesets make them pretty different.

Would a Complete Defensive Set With 252 Hp and 252 Def be viable on Rotom-H ?
Rotom-H have a viable defensive spread in UU, you have to run some speed to creep some threats, but it can put some work with Willo and Volt Switch combo.
It's used to check threats like Entei, Mamoswine, Infernape and Mega Beedrill, but it gets worn down too quickly, especially with rocks up. Pain Split being unreliable and Overheat dropping your SpA sucks, but it's far as it can get. It's a good mon tho.

Rotom-Heat @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 52 Def / 208 Spe
Timid Nature
- Overheat
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

208 Spe are used to outspeed Jolly base 80 mons

Thanks for your answers :)

EDIT: I do have another question. How You can get better in UU ? I am at the ELO of between 1150 - 1200 and this isn't good I think. So I would like to have some Tips how I can get better in UU ?

Last edited:
Keep battling and watching good battlers and learning the tier! A good resource is the replays page on showdown...simply copy and paste names off of the top of the ladder and input then in the search feature and hopefully you learn something! They also have a tutor program you can sign up for. Best of luck!

Keep battling and watching good battlers and learning the tier! A good resource is the replays page on showdown...simply copy and paste names off of the top of the ladder and input then in the search feature and hopefully you learn something! They also have a tutor program you can sign up for. Best of luck!
Thanks for your Answer :)
EDIT: What is a good ELO in UU ? I am currently on very high 1200s and low 1300s in Pokemon Showdown. Is this a good ELO ?

Last edited:
Thanks for your Answer :)
EDIT: What is a good ELO in UU ? I am currently on very high 1200s and low 1300s in Pokemon Showdown. Is this a good ELO ?
Well, the top of the ladder is just below 1700 (disregarding pokemonisfun), and the top of the ladder was 1760s during the ladder tour. A 1300 ELO means you still have room for improvement, though I wouldn't be too worried. Your ELO will rise steadily when you become more experienced in the tier. If your team is giving you problems, you might want to try the sample teams or the teambuilding lab. These teams are possibly well known, but they are a good starting point :)

I'm not sure if this is the right thread for me to post this in, but seeing as Static Zapdos and Flame Body Moltres are apparently going to become a thing soon, just how viable are these going to be? I know Static Zapdos has to give up on Defog so it basically loses that niche, but can it still be more viable offensively than Pressure Zapdos? And what about Flame Body Moltres, can that be a thing? Just curious on these. I can delete this post if it's in the wrong thread.

LRXC

ADV 1v1 Pioneer
is a Community Contributor
I'm not sure if this is the right thread for me to post this in, but seeing as Static Zapdos and Flame Body Moltres are apparently going to become a thing soon, just how viable are these going to be? I know Static Zapdos has to give up on Defog so it basically loses that niche, but can it still be more viable offensively than Pressure Zapdos? And what about Flame Body Moltres, can that be a thing? Just curious on these. I can delete this post if it's in the wrong thread.
I think Static on Zapdos will be really cool. Static is a really good ability, as it can punish u-turn and physical attackers. I could see Static on its offensive set, and possibly on a toxic/roost set. Flame Body Moltres will likely be its main ability, as it can spread burns

Well, the top of the ladder is just below 1700 (disregarding pokemonisfun), and the top of the ladder was 1760s during the ladder tour. A 1300 ELO means you still have room for improvement, though I wouldn't be too worried. Your ELO will rise steadily when you become more experienced in the tier. If your team is giving you problems, you might want to try the sample teams or the teambuilding lab. These teams are possibly well known, but they are a good starting point :)
I peeked 1400 ELO with my own Built Team :) do you think this is good ? My Team has still need for improvement though. Anyways I was so happy because of that since I am quiet new in this Tier. However I don't like using sample Teams since in my opinion A good player should Build his own teams.

Last edited:

kokoloko

what matters is our plan!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
nah static zap's gonna be a low ladder gimmick. zapdos is one of the few pkmn that pressure's actually good on, alongside cune. stalling out stone edges, seed flares, dracos, etc is pretty cool.

static would be amazing if it could activate when hitting a sub, but as it stands its bad, especially since pkmn weak to rocks dont really wanna be switching into u-turns and if you para something like guts hera you're gonna cry. it'll be better on specs and the occasional scarf set, but that's about it, and only cause pressure is useless on those.

possibly on a toxic/roost set
I can't agree with this. The whole point of the Toxic/Roost set it to spread toxic and stall, Pressure will definitely be the main ability there. Static meddles with the Toxic opportunities. Still, it can be good against stuff like Toxicroak and Lucario, but those mons will be avoiding Zapdos anyway since they're weak to Heat Wave.

zapdos is one of the few pkmn that pressure's actually good on, alongside cune.
Agree with most of what you said, but I honestly thought Cune liked Water Absorb, to deal with opposite bulky waters, as that's the only niche Vaporeon has really in UU.

I peeked 1400 ELO with my own Built Team :) do you this is good ? My Team has still need for improvement though. But still I was so happy because of that since I am quiet new in the Tier. However I don't like using sample Teams since in my opinion A good player should Build his own teams.
I think 1400 elo is pretty good for one who recently started. Imo that's the point where you really stop seeing gimmick low ladder stuff.

We dont have a clear cut on what is low/mid/high ladder, but I guess 1500 mid and over 1600 high ladder is a good measure.

Anyway, ladder isnt a measure of skills. It definitely shows someone's capabilities, but dont worry much about it, enjoy the game.

Kreme

You might be right but you're not correct.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I can't agree with this. The whole point of the Toxic/Roost set it to spread toxic and stall, Pressure will definitely be the main ability there. Static meddles with the Toxic opportunities. Still, it can be good against stuff like Toxicroak and Lucario, but those mons will be avoiding Zapdos anyway since they're weak to Heat Wave.

Agree with most of what you said, but I honestly thought Cune liked Water Absorb, to deal with opposite bulky waters, as that's the only niche Vaporeon has really in UU.
Suicune's not exactly bothered by most bulky Water-types anyhow and the ones that do bother it aren't going to stop bothering it because it has Water Absorb (i.e Vaporeon, Seismitoad).

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Static makes Zapdos more of a dick to Beedrill, I guess. I probably wouldn't run it on most sets - as koko pointed out, being able to do stuff like Roost stall out Stone Edge is a pretty big deal. That said, it seems like a strict upgrade for Specs Zapdos.

(Defog is pretty mediocre on Zap regardless in my experience, so I don't think that's a big factor - but Pressure is decent all on its own.)

And what about Flame Body Moltres versus Pressure Moltres - does Moltres prefer the stalling that Zapdos also do or does it like Flame Body?

Flame Body Moltres won't really matter that much. It likes it, sure, and it likes Pressure, but Moltres isn't really stally so neither ability helps it all too much.

Now if it got Drought, that'd be different.

Feel like SubRoost/Bulky Moltres could be quite interesting with Flame Body -- It has great bulk and defensive typing, minus the rocks weakness ofc. although most of the resistances that it gets aren't really affected by Flame Body, except for Beedrill and Fighting Types. Great addition to its arsenal none the less.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)