UU Simple Questions Thread

In general, tier changes happen every 3 months. Usage is calculated by weighted average from the past 3 months. Quick drops (such as base forms of ou megas) can happen monthly.

Six Trails

formerly Analytic_
1. Is there a viability rankings for sets? Or is that only in OU and Uber?
2. If not, what is generally considered more viable for Cobalion? A SD or CM set?

As my name suggests, I kind of need guidance when it comes to competitive Pokemon. My team has two slots remaining and I don't know what to fill them with (I'm using x and have all megas from y if necessary). Currently my team is:

Miltank
Delphox
Rhydon
Cloyster

They are all smogon moveset, items, have 6 ivs and have the correct evs. Except for cloyster, holding never melt and miltank being special defensive instead of defence (read the stat wrong because I'm stupid like that). I want to start with uu because most people I know use ou/ubers (I'm basically a hipster). Can anyone recommend any good Pokemon to run with this team?

Is the council considering suspect testing something in BL to see if it fits in UU?
when will victini be freed?
Don't expect the council to drop anything to UU anytime soon. The UUPL is right around the corner and players wouldn't have time to adjust. Nothing really stands out as needing to be retested, and the tier is pretty much well off right now. The top threats are really good, and nothing in BL jumps out at me as something that would make said threats any less of an "issue" without creating a bunch of other problems.

However, I could see stuff like Togekiss maybe getting another look at after UUPL, but that would be right around the time we get the next round of drops, so don't count on it. Victini probably won't get a third/fourth shot considering how the last suspect test fared for it.

What is the best Water-type sweeper in the tier? Feraligatr, Crawdaunt or Gyarados?
There's no one 'best', just fitting to the team. Gyarados tends to be the go-to Dragon Dancer for now, though Feraligatr can do that and clean very effectively due to not having to struggle to hit things like Chesnaught due to Ice Punch. Crawdaunt, albeit slow, is absolutely lethal vs. stall since it has the strongest Knock Off in the tier + Adaptability and SD.

Gyarados is overall best, but Crawdaunt is better against stall. Feraligatr is outclassed, don't use him.
Um. No. Gatr is most certainly not outclassed, having a way to hit Grass-Types that Gatr can't touch without Bounce. Also, Sheer Force allows it to compete, especially if it wants to run Swords Dance. It's a middle ground between the two, in a sense.

Freeroamer

The greatest story of them all.
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
I personally would never use DD Gatr in this metagame, between Gyara, Shark and hell even Mega Pert I find it kinda meh as a cleaner. SD has a similar niche to Heracross in that it absolutely mauls slower balance squads but will struggle against more offensively orientated teams unless it gets the free switch into something it dumps on. Just the way I see it anyway.

What is the best Water-type sweeper in the tier? Feraligatr, Crawdaunt or Gyarados?
Gyarados is best at using dd overall, although gatr can harm chesnaught with ice punch, and hits harder overall due to life orb and sheer force, but gatr is usually seen using swords dance. Crawdaunt shits on stall, but is sometimes complete deadweight against offense due to poor speed and bulk. It ultimately depends on whether you want to win against faster teams (gyara), clean bulkier teams (gatr), or rip apart walls (daunt)

Cheryl.

Celesteela is Life
So I'm trying to build a team around Choice Scarf Mienshao with Spikes support to help break down it's checks and counters. What would you guys suggest for a Spikes-stacking partner?

So I'm trying to build a team around Choice Scarf Mienshao with Spikes support to help break down it's checks and counters. What would you guys suggest for a Spikes-stacking partner?
Tentacruel, Forretress, Chesnaught and Roserade are the best spikers you can found for balance, but maybe Qwilfish could work too, I haven't tried it in a while but it always looked good. Good thing about those spikers is that they fit very well with most UU rockers, like Swampert, Krookodile, Gligar and even Mamo. If you are going the offense route, Custap Forry once again shows up, but Froslass is probably your best choice. Accelgor is also a good spike setter for offense, outspeeding the entire non-boosted tier, including lead Aero.

Honestly, I can see all those mons supporting Mienshao very well - it will only depend on the rest of your team. Good luck.

I would like to propose a question to which I would like to hear people's opinions and thoughts on. Should Mamoswine be suspected?
In my opinion, I personally think Mamoswine is quite the fearsome threat in UU being able to tear down stall, balanced, and offensive teams alike and it's always strenuous to play around and build around. Yes, Mamoswine provides a good check to common threats like Hydreigon, Mence, M-Sceptile and the like but it does more than that. It plows through any unprepared team and because very few resist both it's stab plus knock off it's made a big impact in UU since it dropped down.
Again, should Mamoswine be suspected?

No. Mamoswine's poor speed and worse defensive typing means it is in return checked by a million and a half things. Being unprepared for Mamoswine is like being unprepared for Suicune: You're setting yourself up for failure by not accounting for one of the most dangerous Pokemon in the tier.

The thing with Suicune is there are actually serveral counters and hard checks, which in the case of Mamoswine are unexistant lol
I've been thinking ever since Mamoswine dropped that it's unhealthy the "poor" Speed easily makes up with his powerful Ice Shard or his natural decent Bulk.

Even though Mamoswine's base speed isn't the best what makes Mamoswine so good is it's ability to take out a good chunk of HP from anything that doesn't resist Ice Shard. Like Ice tea said Mamoswine has little to no counters, although Cresselia and Suicune can be considered counters, being forced to run those 2 just to check Mamoswine is unhealthy for the tier and over centralizing. Yes, Mamoswine can be checked with faster priority but it needs to take prior damage to even be checked by them. Here are some calculations:
252+ Atk Choice Band Entei Extreme Speed vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mamoswine: 158-186 (43.7 - 51.5%) -- 8.2% chance to 2HKO
252 Atk Life Orb Infernape Mach Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mamoswine: 174-211 (48.1 - 58.4%) -- 95.7% chance to 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Infernape Vacuum Wave vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mamoswine: 221-265 (61.2 - 73.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Feraligatr Aqua Jet vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mamoswine: 195-229 (54 - 63.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Entei, Infernape, and Feraligatr all take little to nothing from Ice Shard which very few in the tier can do so without taking 30-40%. You're thinking why would you E-speed or Mach Punch/Vacuum Wave a Mamoswine when you're faster, right? Thing is if Mamoswine is scarfed then all that goes out the window forcing you to E-speed or Mach Punch/Vacuum Wave. Mamoswine needs to take rocks damage and some life orb recoil in order to even be checked by them if it's scarfed. In Feraligatr's case you don't even outspeed Adamant Mamoswine if you're running the the common Adamant nature. Even then you are outsped by Timid Mamoswine. Mamoswine would take a whooping 80% from Feraligatr before it would go down. Although Shuca Berry Empoleon and Cobalion are now a thing that's proof that Mamoswine has made a big a huge impact on UU forcing people to run soft checks if they're not running counters like Suicune and Cresselia. Just in case you are wondering "What about Bronzong?" here is a calc: 252+ Atk Life Orb Mamoswine Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Bronzong: 198-234 (58.5 - 69.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Reactions: ict
Even though Mamoswine's base speed isn't the best what makes Mamoswine so good is it's ability to take out a good chunk of HP from anything that doesn't resist Ice Shard. Like Ice tea said Mamoswine has little to no counters, although Cresselia and Suicune can be considered counters, being forced to run those 2 just to check Mamoswine is unhealthy for the tier and over centralizing. Yes, Mamoswine can be checked with faster priority but it needs to take prior damage to even be checked by them. Here are some calculations:
252+ Atk Choice Band Entei Extreme Speed vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mamoswine: 158-186 (43.7 - 51.5%) -- 8.2% chance to 2HKO
252 Atk Life Orb Infernape Mach Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mamoswine: 174-211 (48.1 - 58.4%) -- 95.7% chance to 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Infernape Vacuum Wave vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mamoswine: 221-265 (61.2 - 73.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Feraligatr Aqua Jet vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mamoswine: 195-229 (54 - 63.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Entei, Infernape, and Feraligatr all take little to nothing from Ice Shard which very few in the tier can do so without taking 30-40%. You're thinking why would you E-speed or Mach Punch/Vacuum Wave a Mamoswine when you're faster, right? Thing is if Mamoswine is scarfed then all that goes out the window forcing you to E-speed or Mach Punch/Vacuum Wave. Mamoswine needs to take rocks damage and some life orb recoil in order to even be checked by them if it's scarfed. In Feraligatr's case you don't even outspeed Adamant Mamoswine if you're running the the common Adamant nature. Even then you are outsped by Timid Mamoswine. Mamoswine would take a whooping 80% from Feraligatr before it would go down. Although Shuca Berry Empoleon and Cobalion are now a thing that's proof that Mamoswine has made a big a huge impact on UU forcing people to run soft checks if they're not running counters like Suicune and Cresselia. Just in case you are wondering "What about Bronzong?" here is a calc: 252+ Atk Life Orb Mamoswine Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Bronzong: 198-234 (58.5 - 69.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
Timid Mamoswine?

Scarfed Mamoswine?

In all seriousness, being checked by a million things doesn't equate to not being broken. Not that I'm agreeing but with that kind of mentality then we can say that Diggersby or Mega Heracross can be freed.

e: Jolly not Timid AmountingSilver

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)