UU Simple Questions Thread

Scarfed Mamoswine?

In all seriousness, being checked by a million things doesn't equate to not being broken. Not that I'm agreeing but with that kind of mentality then we can say that Diggersby or Mega Heracross can be freed.

e: Jolly not Timid AmountingSilver
Well, the fact that Mamoswine has stayed this long in UU means UU is has adapted to Mamoswine's presence but I doubt that can be said about Diggersby and M-Heracross.

Reactions: ict
To be honest, I don't like mamoswine too much, but I don't think it's quite suspect-worthy, especially this close to uupl.

/ shitty mobile post

Mamoswine has few counters but plenty of checks, including recent drops like Gyarados. I do believe Mamoswine is painful to deal for both offense or bulky teams, but I don't think the kind of discussion that is occuring should be placed here, on Simple Question Thread. It's not an objective question, it will only leads us to more discussion without any answers. If anywhere (I'm not sure we should be discussing any suspects btw), I guess potential suspects should be discussed on the np thread.

Also it was pretty obvious the guy confused Jolly with Timid. More than shitposting one line posts pointing obvious mistake so you can have two more posts until you finally gives your opinion on the matter, why not just make it simple and reduce it all to one post? helps this thread and everybody else thank you

http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/uu-beta-cesspool-sweepers.3497322/ is this gonna happen again when sun and moon come out assuming new mon hype puts shit like this in uu by usage?
It depends. Kokoloko started UU a bit earlier than normal during the transition from BW to XY than the transition from DPP to BW, which is why stuff like Bisharp and Kyurem-B were even UU in the first place - their OU usage hadn't caught up yet. If the current leadership follows a similar model to how kokoloko handled XYUU Beta then most likely. If not, then SMUU Beta probably won't be as an offensive free-for-all. The idea remains the same though: UU is based off of OU usage, so whatever falls below that 3.41% cutoff is fair game at the start of the metagame.

Super flattering and all that my old RMT is what gets dug up, but Sun and Moon don't come out for another 8 months. Let's keep focus on this current metagame for now, shall we?

Reactions: nv

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
It depends. Kokoloko started UU a bit earlier than normal during the transition from BW to XY than the transition from DPP to BW, which is why stuff like Bisharp and Kyurem-B were even UU in the first place - their OU usage hadn't caught up yet. If the current leadership follows a similar model to how kokoloko handled XYUU Beta then most likely. If not, then SMUU Beta probably won't be as an offensive free-for-all. The idea remains the same though: UU is based off of OU usage, so whatever falls below that 3.41% cutoff is fair game at the start of the metagame.

Super flattering and all that my old RMT is what gets dug up, but Sun and Moon don't come out for another 8 months. Let's keep focus on this current metagame for now, shall we?
i was just wondering lol, but as an actual question, is defensive waterspam a good strategy with so many good defensive waters like cune, pert, tent, alo, slowking, etc,>

Sometimes multiple Water-types will find their way onto the same team due to synergistic qualities (in particular Swampert and Suicune, as the latter performs well with hazards and the former happens to be one of the best Stealth Rock setters in the tier), but the whole concept of teams that "spam" a certain type is to overwhelm checks and counters to prepare for a sweep. Running multiple defensive Pokemon that serve only to check the same things aren't exactly going to be overwhelming teams any time soon.

Last edited:

LRXC

ADV 1v1 Pioneer
is a Community Contributor
According to you guys, what is the best way to get started in UU? Thank you for your help.
Yeah come down to the PS Room as well, everyone there is friendly and willing to help. Another great way is to sign up for tutoring! Welcome to Smogon as mazz said :)

Also is my new avatar hype or what lol

Also one time he exploded a duck with his face.

EDIT: wait, sorry, it was a goose
You should never keep them flying types in vs Mega-Fabio. Result should have been expected.

Also on-topic answer to avoid getting in trouble: Fabio was a famous model for romance novel covers, best known for that incredible head of hair you see above. And MAmpharos is about as close as can be to having an equally wondrous set of locks, if not more so.

I'm trying out playing UU more competitively than before. I want to build a bulky offense or balance team that makes good use of Mega Blastoise. Any suggestions?

I'm trying out playing UU more competitively than before. I want to build a bulky offense or balance team that makes good use of Mega Blastoise. Any suggestions?

Blastoise likes hazard support such as Spikes, Toxic Spikes + Rocks because they help wearing down common switch-ins like Florges, Snorlax, Porygon etc. and proceeds to pressure them more. Roserade or Chesnaught fit in pretty well as they give you Spikes support + a grass and/or electric resist which synergizes pretty well with Mega Blastoise. Because Mega Blastoise is already a good hazard removal you can take advantage of that and use something like DD Salamence or DD Gyarados which benefit from Blas removing rocks and the spikes support aswell. And because you want Spikes you kind of want a way to prevent hazard removal :o, so something like Sableye or Chandelure pair well on the latter they form a Fire-Water-Grass which always good to have, hope I helped :)

Blastoise likes hazard support such as Spikes, Toxic Spikes + Rocks because they help wearing down common switch-ins like Florges, Snorlax, Porygon etc. and proceeds to pressure them more. Roserade or Chesnaught fit in pretty well as they give you Spikes support + a grass and/or electric resist which synergizes pretty well with Mega Blastoise. Because Mega Blastoise is already a good hazard removal you can take advantage of that and use something like DD Salamence or DD Gyarados which benefit from Blas removing rocks and the spikes support aswell. And because you want Spikes you kind of want a way to prevent hazard removal :o, so something like Sableye or Chandelure pair well on the latter they form a Fire-Water-Grass which always good to have, hope I helped :)
Thanks man, you've been a huge help. I've taken your advice and picked out some of my favourites (I'm too much of a scrub to use any other Pokemon) for the team. It doesn't have a spinblocker but I'm not really partial to any Ghost-types. Still, I think it's decent. Here's the team if you're interested:
Kahuna (Blastoise-Mega) (M) @ Blastoisinite
Ability: Rain Dish
EVs: 184 HP / 252 SpA / 72 Spe
Modest Nature
- Ice Beam
- Dark Pulse
- Scald
- Rapid Spin

Anafenza (Chesnaught) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Drain Punch
- Leech Seed
- Spikes
- Spiky Shield

Dougal (Arcanine) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Morning Sun
- Roar
- Will-O-Wisp

Sarkhan (Salamence) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Outrage
- Fire Blast
- Iron Tail
- Dragon Dance

Claru (Nidoqueen) (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 180 HP / 252 SpA / 76 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Sludge Wave
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam
- Stealth Rock

Custard (Heliolisk) (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Dry Skin
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Focus Blast
- Hyper Voice
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch

This looks p cool for the first attempt, I'd personally run Wood Hammer over Drain Punch to shorten the process vs Gyarados and also lets you kill Swampert and Feraligatr immediately which would be valuable for your team :), right now your team doesn't have a dragon resists nor an immunity you might want to patch that, Florges over Arcanine seems quite decent because it also helps with Sceptile which also poses a big threat against your team so Florges would be a decent choice and you do not really lose nothing in the process. Cool Salamence set and team!

Um this is a question for viability rankings can there be a blacklist rank to bann talking bout certain mons from being discussed because it details the thread, like the delphox one?

Threw

cohiba
I don't think we're in need of such a list. It's not as though people are bringing up the same Pokemon over and over again. If people become obsessed with one particular Pokemon that is clearly unviable and repeatedly nominate it to move up, fine, blacklist it, but we are not at that point. Because this is the case, the only way to discourage nominations of unviable Pokemon would be to impose a blanket ban of everything not on the VR, or perhaps of a certain rank in lower tiers. I probably don't have to say why that's an awful idea, but I will anyway: viability does not translate across metagames. Furthermore, our tier leaders and forum moderators are not clairvoyant, so we need to be open to future nominations of previously unviable Pokemon as the metagame shifts.

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Such a list could also have potential to send the wrong message to potential contributors. Generally speaking, the more open a thread like VR rankings is (with obvious moderation) the better it ends up being for the community as a whole since it can spark a lot of good, useful discussion on Pokemon that are amazing, underrated, or even unexplored.

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Can combusken pass focus energy+speed boosts for gimmick teams with scope lens or super luck+crit move mons? I'm jw for a joke team i was making

Shadestep

volition immanent
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Can combusken pass focus energy+speed boosts for gimmick teams with scope lens or super luck+crit move mons? I'm jw for a joke team i was making
it's legal, since it doesn't actually boost a stat. (btw, you can check this for yourself in the teambuilder, they added a 'Validate' button recently.)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)