UU Simple Questions Thread

Hey everyone ! Real long time lurker here ! (Actually been one from DPP, but with a few stops here and there)
Anyway, I've always been fooling around on Pokemon Showdown, and I'm in love with the UU Metagame (a bit sad for Salamence tho). I've poached a few teams here and there, built some myself ; and to be honest I'm quite the average player. I still have fun nontheless. But let's get back to business.
I come to you today because I finally decided to build a team around one of my favourite Mon (quite a strange one but hey) : Venomoth. Who doesn't love All Terrain Venomoth ? :D He's by far the best pokemon who can use Quiver Dance in UU, and that"s a move I adore actually. I tried building a team around it, and I had moderate success in the depths of the ladder, but I'd rather have good players advice me on that matter :) Here's the first iteration of the team :

Percy (Cobalion) @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Iron Head
- Stealth Rock
- Volt Switch

Venomoth hits decently hard after a few boosts, but SR can really help net some important KOs, and it's a mandatory move anyway. Cobalion helps by grabbing momentum with Volt Switch, is one of my fairy checks and is a soft check to M-Azeo if full life and the berry is intact. He's also my Knock Off absorber. A pretty simple but effective Mon.

Owain (Sceptile-Mega) (M) @ Sceptilite
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Leaf Storm
- Giga Drain
- Dragon Pulse
- Focus Blast

Mega Sceptile is a fearsome Mega in the UU metagame. He serves here as a special wall softener, to facilitate my setup sweeper's job. Actually, I don't know if I'd rather have Leaf Storm or Substitute. He scares away the many bulky Waters of the tier, but he needs to be aware of the random Ice Beam.

Charlotte (Empoleon) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 212 HP / 116 SpA / 160 SpD / 20 Spe
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Flash Cannon
- Roar
- Defog

There's one thing that Venomoth hates more than a Choice Band STABed Scared Fire, and it's enemy SR. Here come Empoleon, as my defogger. The EV spread is here to be a better Sylveon check, and to 2HKO back with flash cannon. Of course, the spread can change based on you guys' advices. Roar is actually my only way to stop a setup.

Saizo (Rotom-Heat) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Overheat
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Trick

Rotom-H completes a decent F/W/G core, as well as bringing a second pivot . Overheat hits like a truck, Trick to cripple the god damn blisseys and Milotics. HP Ice is actually there to try and RK things like Hydreigon, who can be problematic.

Soleil (Reuniclus) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Recover
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast

My first wincon. Reuniclus is actually quite a beast, really hard to take down, and can use more common walls as setup fodder. He's actually very similar to Venomoth, but slower and sturdier.

Lazlow (Venomoth) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Tinted Lens
Shiny: Yes
Timid Nature
- Bug Buzz
- Quiver Dance
- Sleep Powder
- Sludge Bomb

The shining star of the team. Pretty standart set. Sleep Powder really helps with the setup.

I know for a fact that the team is pretty lackluster. I'm really weak to priority, especially from things like Entei. M-Sharpedo can run rampant if setup. I've actually played this team for the past days, and can't seem to find answers to my problems. So here I am. Thanks in advance ! :)

^ Love the Fire Emblem references, Fates is such an epic game (although Chapter 25 in Conquest can FUCK OFF). Personally I'd suggest running Black Sludge on Venomoth, as with Life Orb recoil and possible Stealth Rock damage it gets worn down very quickly.

Hey everyone ! Real long time lurker here ! (Actually been one from DPP, but with a few stops here and there)
Anyway, I've always been fooling around on Pokemon Showdown, and I'm in love with the UU Metagame (a bit sad for Salamence tho). I've poached a few teams here and there, built some myself ; and to be honest I'm quite the average player. I still have fun nontheless. But let's get back to business.
I come to you today because I finally decided to build a team around one of my favourite Mon (quite a strange one but hey) : Venomoth. Who doesn't love All Terrain Venomoth ? :D He's by far the best pokemon who can use Quiver Dance in UU, and that"s a move I adore actually. I tried building a team around it, and I had moderate success in the depths of the ladder, but I'd rather have good players advice me on that matter :) Here's the first iteration of the team :

Percy (Cobalion) @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Iron Head
- Stealth Rock
- Volt Switch

Venomoth hits decently hard after a few boosts, but SR can really help net some important KOs, and it's a mandatory move anyway. Cobalion helps by grabbing momentum with Volt Switch, is one of my fairy checks and is a soft check to M-Azeo if full life and the berry is intact. He's also my Knock Off absorber. A pretty simple but effective Mon.

Owain (Sceptile-Mega) (M) @ Sceptilite
Ability: Overgrow
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Giga Drain
- Dragon Pulse
- Focus Blast

Mega Sceptile is a fearsome Mega in the UU metagame. He serves here as a special wall softener, to facilitate my setup sweeper's job. Actually, I don't know if I'd rather have Leaf Storm or Substitute. He scares away the many bulky Waters of the tier, but he needs to be aware of the random Ice Beam.

Charlotte (Empoleon) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 212 HP / 116 SpA / 160 SpD / 20 Spe
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Flash Cannon
- Roar
- Defog

There's one thing that Venomoth hates more than a Choice Band STABed Scared Fire, and it's enemy SR. Here come Empoleon, as my defogger. The EV spread is here to be a better Sylveon check, and to 2HKO back with flash cannon. Of course, the spread can change based on you guys' advices. Roar is actually my only way to stop a setup.

Saizo (Rotom-Heat) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Overheat
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Trick

Rotom-H completes a decent F/W/G core, as well as bringing a second pivot . Overheat hits like a truck, Trick to cripple the god damn blisseys and Milotics. HP Ice is actually there to try and RK things like Hydreigon, who can be problematic.

Soleil (Reuniclus) (F) @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Recover
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast

My first wincon. Reuniclus is actually quite a beast, really hard to take down, and can use more common walls as setup fodder. He's actually very similar to Venomoth, but slower and sturdier.

Lazlow (Venomoth) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Tinted Lens
Shiny: Yes
Timid Nature
- Bug Buzz
- Quiver Dance
- Sleep Powder
- Sludge Bomb

The shining star of the team. Pretty standart set. Sleep Powder really helps with the setup.

I know for a fact that the team is pretty lackluster. I'm really weak to priority, especially from things like Entei. M-Sharpedo can run rampant if setup. I've actually played this team for the past days, and can't seem to find answers to my problems. So here I am. Thanks in advance ! :)
Honestly you'd probably get better results for something like in this in the Rate My Team section. Just be sure you follow the posting rules(honestly you could copy/paste what you have and you should be fine).

ChrystalFalchion Glad you noticed ! Thanks for the suggestion :) I'll do calcs, hoping i do not miss too much firepower !
Pinkin Lark I am actually a bit intimidated by the Rate My Team section ^^' I have the feeling my team isn't quite up to the standarts yet. I guess I will give it a try ^^'

What is the EV spread for Bulk Up Conkeldurr?
Bulk Up Conkeldurr isn't a good set right now, as it's very slow and liable to getting worn down. If you want to run BU Conkeldurr I'd suggest using Curse Snorlax instead, but if you're hellbent on using Conk go with a spread of 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def.

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I disagree - Bulk Up Conk is emerging as one of Conkeldurr's most threatening sets, and one of the best stallbreakers in UU.

I typically run max HP with a lot of Special Defense, depending on the team. 248 HP/16 Attack/244 Special Defense with an Adamant nature is usually my go-to spread for BU Conk, though you should feel free to modify it as necessary for your team.

Agree, I liked AV Conk until I used BU and now I don't think I can ever go back to using AV. Not only is it amazing against stall (very difficult to kill without a fairy and thrives against 90% of common stall Pokemon, btw if you play stall try your hardest to get burned and not poisoned) but also very good against fairyless balance and even bulky offense. I just max out on spdef with speed for base 50s I believe. Hogg's Adamant spread helps against stall so that you can do things like OHKO Sableye burned at +1, gain more HP back from Alomomola, etc.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-405451478 example

Your opponent didn't play very well. They could've just Taunted Conk with Weezing and worn it down with Sludge Bomb, and what idiot uses Will-O-Wisp on a Pokémon which almost always runs Guts? Nonetheless, I concede that Bulk Up Conkeldurr is a much better set than I thought. Paired up with offensive Nidoqueen it could work really well, as Nidoqueen can take out the Fairies and provide Stealth Rock support.

Last edited:
hi i used to be decent at uu then i stopped playing for 10 months, can anyone give me just a brief overview of the meta currently?

back at it again with work boredom so i was browsing OU threads and i saw they had like a laddering achievements thread thing and thought that would be a cool and fun way to increase laddering activity + it would just be fun to think of new achievements lol. any way someone could possibly start a thread like that :O
I could help with some achievement ideas + I'm sure a lot of people would have cool ideas haha

alsooo to reduce like the workload of the person in charge of updating the thread we could have users post their achievements in groups of like 5 or something so its in like bigger chunks

Kink

it's a thug life ¨̮
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
back at it again with work boredom so i was browsing OU threads and i saw they had like a laddering achievements thread thing and thought that would be a cool and fun way to increase laddering activity + it would just be fun to think of new achievements lol. any way someone could possibly start a thread like that :O
I could help with some achievement ideas + I'm sure a lot of people would have cool ideas haha

alsooo to reduce like the workload of the person in charge of updating the thread we could have users post their achievements in groups of like 5 or something so its in like bigger chunks
We used to have a ladder achievement thread, but the "rewards" were practically non-existent and fairly unimportant, resulting in a non-prestigious system that requires constant updating for little-to-no gain. There are many ways for UU players to be awarded for their skill/creativity, including a new official tour format that will be relased to the public in a little while.

We used to have a ladder achievement thread, but the "rewards" were practically non-existent and fairly unimportant, resulting in a non-prestigious system that requires constant updating for little-to-no gain. There are many ways for UU players to be awarded for their skill/creativity. No ladder achievement thread.
ah gotcha. my boredom shall continue on then!

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
hey kids, i've got a simple question

i'm thinkin' of dippin my toe in the water and playing some UU 'mons again, but i'm kind of overwhelmed with all the choices and threats you have to consider when building a team! i guess this was a lot easier when i was younger and actively studied pokemon and metagames and stuff, but now I just think wow there is a whole lot to keep track of and i don't remember how i started up without a lot of familiarity for the metagame already

so, how do you get started? can you build a playable team without a "feel" for the metagame you're playing in, just on like, pokemon skill? should i just borrow a team and ladder until i get that intuitive metagame sense of what the big threats are etc? i'm just not sure where to start

sorry if this is in the wrong place

<3 chris

i'm thinkin' of dippin my toe in the water and playing some UU 'mons again, but i'm kind of overwhelmed with all the choices and threats you have to consider when building a team! i guess this was a lot easier when i was younger and actively studied pokemon and metagames and stuff, but now I just think wow there is a whole lot to keep track of and i don't remember how i started up without a lot of familiarity for the metagame already

so, how do you get started? can you build a playable team without a "feel" for the metagame you're playing in, just on like, pokemon skill? should i just borrow a team and ladder until i get that intuitive metagame sense of what the big threats are etc? i'm just not sure where to start

<3 chris
In my opinion, the best way to familiarise yourself with a tier is by simply playing it. Build a team, see what works and what doesn't, and make the changes accordingly. If you're unsure what set to use on a Pokémon, consult its analysis (there's a link in the teambuilder). You could use someone else's team, or ask for one in the UU team building lab. I wouldn't recommend this though, as in the latter's case it takes a long time - I requested a team several weeks ago and so far have heard nothing (I'm not blaming anyone for this before someone bites my head off). If you want to get a basic idea of what's good, check out the UU Viability Rankings thread. You could also enter the UU room on showdown and ask the people there (type /j uu, if you didn't know).

I would say that right now the Pokémon you need to worry about most are Hydreigon, Mega Aerodactyl and Celebi. Hydreigon has very few safe switch ins due to its great power and massive movepool; Aerodactyl is extremely fast (outruns Scarf Chandelure) and hits quite hard too; Celebi can run a wide variety of different sets.

Thisbemyalt

Shiba sucks
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

<3 chris
Since it sounds like you aren't used to a meta with as many threats as UU, enough to where you can't check them all, I would recommend taking samples or RMTs to see how most teams check as many threats as possible, when you build yourself with no metagame knowledge you are just setting yourself up for being 6-0d by a threat you might not even know existed so I would certainly start with proven teams.

Last edited:

Shadestep

volition immanent
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
This doesn't go only for UU but pretty much any tier; start with a Sample Team or a good RMT to get a feel of the metagame before diving in the teambuilder. After you've playbed a bunch in some roomtours , ladder , etc, maybe try making your own team and ask someone to give some criticism on it. There's no way you can make a 'good' (subjective term) team when you've never played the tier before.

So I wanted to know people's opinions on my team without making a whole rmt so could you please add suggestions for this team

Sylveon
@ Pixie Plate
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Calm Mind
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock

Conkeldurr @ Assault Vest
Ability: Guts
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Thunder Punch
- Mach Punch

Reuniclus @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Toxic
- Calm Mind
- Recover
- Psychic

Aggron-Mega @ Aggronite
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Roar
- Heavy Slam

Krookodile @ Choice Band
Ability: Moxie
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Superpower
- Earthquake
- Pursuit

Suicune @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Calm Mind
- Scald
Thanks

So I wanted to know people's opinions on my team without making a whole rmt so could you please add suggestions for this team

Sylveon
@ Pixie Plate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Calm Mind
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock

If you want an offensive Calm Mind user, you'd be better off with Gardevoir - it's much faster, has STAB Psyshock and a superior movepool.

Gardevoir @ Life Orb
Ability: Trace
Timid Nature / Modest Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast

If you want to use Sylveon as a wallbreaker, use the Choice Specs set

Sylveon @ Choice Specs
Modest Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Baton Pass
- Hidden Power Ground
- Psyshock / Shadow Ball

Conkeldurr @ Assault Vest
Ability: Guts
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Thunder Punch
- Mach Punch

This set seems fine.

Reuniclus @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Toxic
- Calm Mind
- Recover
- Psychic

Run Focus Blast over Toxic so you can hit Dark- and Steel-types, and Psyshock over Psychic as that can help you win in Calm Mind wars against Suicune and Florges.

Aggron-Mega @ Aggronite
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Roar
- Heavy Slam

Run Sturdy pre mega - since you're not running any recoil moves, Rock Head won't do anything. Also, the EV spread should be 252 HP / 16 Def / 240 SpD with an Impish nature - it gives you more balanced bulk, and Mega Aggron's Defence is already so high it doesn't need max investment.

Krookodile @ Choice Band
Ability: Moxie
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Superpower
- Earthquake
- Pursuit

Run 252 Speed EVs and a Jolly nature. Krookodile's in a very competitive Speed tier, and with Adamant you miss out on outrunning Heracross, Roserade and Nidoking. I'd also suggest running Intimidate over Moxie, as this set is meant to wallbreak and Intimidate can force switches and give Krook some breathing room.

Suicune @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Calm Mind
- Scald
Thanks

This set's fine, however I'd suggest running 56 Speed EVs so you can outrun 252 Speed Modest Sylveon (i.e. the Specs set) and Calm Mind before it has a chance to 2HKO.

Comments in Bold.

After reading so so so many help post i have a strange question, why the hell did we go back to 252Hp on any set ever? Even hp is bad on almost everything baring weird berry sets and belly drum. Even [i know is ou] fabel wants odd hp so superfang if ever run doesnt hurt as much, so why did we go back to 252hp spreads?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)