UU Team Rating Competition - Round 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sun

Who cares if one more light goes out? Well I do...
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

Hosts: Cynde | Sun
Welcome to the latest edition of the Team Rater Competition! The tier this time around will be SM UU. For each round we'll post a team, and participants will have one week to complete a rate of said team. When the round is over, the participants who submitted the best rates will move onto the next round. If you are eliminated and want to receive feedback on your rate, the hosts will be more than happy to provide that upon request. Each round will last one week. Failure to rate the team within the one week time period will result in disqualification unless you're able to give us a valid reason. Please only sign up if you can commit to rating one team every week for the next month. If you're currently involved in or are looking to start rating UU teams, I highly encourage you to participate as this promises to be a great learning experience. Here's to a fun and competitive tournament!

Important notes:
  • Shoutouts in the room intro of the RMT room and in RMT news
  • The top rates from each round in addition to the rates in the final two rounds will count towards the Team Rater badge
  • The winner will be awarded voice status in the RMT room on PS if they have shown an interest in getting involved.
  • Each round will last one week. Failure to rate the team within the one week time period will result in disqualification unless you're able to give us a valid reason. Please only sign up if you can commit to rating one team every week for the next month.
  • If you are eliminated and would like some feedback on your rate and how you can improve going forward, feel free to ask us.
  • At the end of each round, we will announce the best rate from that round and a quick overview of what we liked in the rates submitted.
Deadline will be January 3rd 11:59 PM GMT-5

PM your rate to Sun and Cynde

Sun

is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Venomoth @ Buginium Z
Ability: Tinted Lens
EVs: 24 HP / 4 Def / 228 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Quiver Dance
- Bug Buzz
- Sludge Bomb
- Sleep Powder

I started to build around venomoth, it's a very threatening pokemon in the tier and can take advantage of Seperior's high usage to set up a quiver dance easily. buginium z plus tinted lens is a very scary combo that can knock out "venomoth natural checks" like entei and scizor.

Rotom-Wash @ Iapapa Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 128 Def / 132 Spe
Bold Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Defog
- Will-O-Wisp

Venomoth needs a lot of support. at first i needed a hazard remover and a scizor check, wash-tom was my choice. it is also a very cool pivot that allows venomoth to switch freely into grass types such serperior and amoonguss. iapapa here because i wanted at least one form of recovery since rotom-w lacks pain split.

Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- U-turn
- Fire Blast
- Dark Pulse

Hydreigon is here for speed control, it is very synergic with venomoth since hydreigon appreciate fairy types such as Azumarill, Sylveon and Togekiss gone. due to choice scarf, hydreigon is able to check fast threats such as cm latias, serperior, mega sceptile and mega aerodactyl which is very important for venomoth which is not really faster without any boost.

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 244 HP / 208 SpD / 56 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Taunt
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Roost

The team needed some ways to handle stall teams and a ground type, gliscor with taunt and toxic is very annoying for bulky teams, finally it is a great status absorber abe to swotch into bulky waters likes of mantine and alomomola that can cripple my rotom-w with toxic.

Azumarill @ Leftovers
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 248 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Impish Nature
- Whirlpool
- Protect
- Play Rough
- Perish Song

Sap sipper Azumarill is here because the team needed a fairy type to deal with Hydreigon and a serperior answer. it is also very cool because is able to trap things like tentacruel, empoleon, klefki that can potentially stop venomoth to sweep.

Aerodactyl-Mega @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Unnerve
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Aqua Tail
- Stone Edge
- Fire Fang

At last, i choose mega aero because can set up rocks and with its coverage can threaten many pokemons such as serperior, mantine, chandelure nidoking krookodile, hippowdon etc.

Good luck n_n

Last edited:

Sun

Sorry for the huge delay guys, round 3 winner is esche, congrats! :blobpex:

ROUND #3

Aerodactyl-Mega @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Unnerve
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Aqua Tail
- Fire Fang
- Stealth Rock

Venomoth @ Buginium Z
EVs: 24 HP / 4 Def / 228 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Bug Buzz
- Sludge Bomb
- Sleep Powder
- Quiver Dance

Azumarill @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Impish Nature
- Whirlpool
- Play Rough
- Perish Song
- Protect

Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast
- U-turn

Rotom-Wash @ Iapapa Berry
EVs: 248 HP / 128 Def / 132 Spe
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Defog

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
EVs: 244 HP / 208 SpD / 56 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Taunt
- Roost

(Threats & Issues // Fixes & Benefits):
  • Altaria-M is probably the most outstanding threat to this team. Refresh or Facade variants in particular will give this team a hard time. Altaria-M can set up easily versus Rotom-W, Hydreigon and Aerodactyl-M (max HP variants). While Azumarill takes a +1 Pixilate boosted attack quite comfortably, it doesn't do nearly enough damage with Play Rough and thus has to resort to using Perish Song, which will interrupt a sweep once but does not provide a long-term solution. Venomoth lacks physical bulk and recovery, and heavily relies on Rotom-W to keep Stealth Rock off the field. Moreso, it will never OHKO Altaria-M with Sludge Bomb, thus making the only option to connect with Sleep Powder, which is undeniably shaky. Therefore, I recommend editing the Venomoth EV spread a little: With 80 HP EVs Venomoth reaches an HP value of 301, making it easier to set up against Blissey spamming Seismic Toss. 32 defense EVs ensure that it will fare better versus Altaria-M (the need might arise if the dedicated answer (which is added later) gets removed by trapping for instance):
    252 Atk Pixilate Altaria-Mega Return vs. 80 HP / 32 Def Venomoth: 127-150 (42.1 - 49.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

+1 252 Atk Pixilate Altaria-Mega Return vs. 80 HP / 32 Def Venomoth: 191-225 (63.4 - 74.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

+2 252 Atk Pixilate Altaria-Mega Return vs. 80 HP / 32 Def Venomoth: 255-300 (84.7 - 99.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+1 144 SpA Venomoth Sludge Bomb vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Altaria-Mega: 300-354 (103 - 121.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
    While this does come at the cost of a bit of firepower, 144 special attack EVs still guarantee the OHKO on Aerodactyl-M with Savage Spin-Out at +1.

• Fairies in general are troublesome to switch into with this team since Venomoth can't afford to take damage. With Roost over Sleep Powder, however, enables it to pivot into the likes of mono-attacking Altaria-M, Sylveon and Klefki (lacking Thunder Wave) more comfortably. Additionally, opting for Roost over Sleep Powder not only increases Venomoth's longevity by a huge amount, it also helps pressure fat builds a whole lot better (which sets up for a change I will be making later on). Azumarill remains a problem due to the lack of a reliable switch-in to the Choice Band variant but those are scarce in UU anyway and don't fit on the team structure of this team (Amoonguss shares to many weaknesses with Venomoth, Aggron-M is way too passive and appreciates Wish support to function properly).

• Calm Mind Raikou can put great pressure on this team. Because Aerodactyl-M lacks Earthquake revenge killing becomes an issue as well, relying on prior damage and Stone Edge to connect - luckily, it isn't too common. Anyhow, a more reliable answer to Electric types in general would be appreciated (including the ever-so-annoying Manectric-M), especially in light of the changes yet to come. I suggest utilizing Defog Latias over Choice Scarf Hydreigon. The reason I'm not simply changing Hydreigon to a Defog set itself is its unfavourable match-up versus Stealth Rock + SD Cobalion and the reduced special bulk in comparison to Latias, which helps Latias to fare better versus the aforementioned Electric types. Additionally, Latias does not invite Azumarill as easily as Hydreigon does. Psyshock damages Raikou enough to put in range for revenge killing purposes.
    Latias @ Life Orb/Soul Dew
    Timid Nature
    IVs: 29 HP / 0 Atk
    - Draco Meteor
    - Psyshock
    - Recover
    - Defog
    Rotom-Wash is also a big nuisance to the team, forcing the player to pivot into Hydreigon (or, now Latias, which is prone to getting Pursuit trapped) under almost any circumstance. More special defense investment on Gliscor will help Gliscor stall out the annoying washing machine with Toxic. A Careful nature is needed in order for that to be possible.
    Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
    EVs: 244 HP / 200 SpD / 64 Spe
    Careful Nature
    - Earthquake
    - Toxic
    - Stealth Rock
    - Roost
    Yes, this set forgoes Taunt in favour of Stealth Rock, since Mega Aerodactyl will be replaced eventually. No worries though, I made sure to keep the stall match-up in mind (as explained earlier with the addition of Roost on Venomoth).

• Fast SD Scizor is somewhat annoying to deal with since it gets the jump on Rotom-W and can even steal its Iapapa Berry with Bug Bite. Fire Fang on Aerodactyl-M somewhat helps to reduce successful set up but it is not reliable as a countermeasure to an already boosted Scizor. It is therefore incredibly important to keep Rotom-W healthy, which is hard to accomplish when it's already occupied by the hazard removal task, and relies on its berry to heal, making it prone to being worn down or likely being at a low amount of HP. Since the Latias set implemented before already carries Defog itself, the next change will be the replacement of Rotom-W with Choice Scarf Infernape. Infernape is this teams dedicated check to SD Scizor and compensates for the loss of speed control with the replacement of Choice Scarf Hydreigon. Fairly standard set here, the last moveslot is pretty flexible, although I recommend a personal favourite in Will-O-Wisp here. Catching opposing Gliscor on the switch turns them into set up fodder for Venomoth, and the ability to cripple Azumarill on the switch is also highly appreciated, by this team in particular.
    Infernape @ Choice Scarf
    Ability: Blaze
    Jolly Nature
    - Flare Blitz
    - Close Combat
    - U-turn
    - Will-O-Wisp
  • At this point the team is awfully weak to Mega Aerodactyl with Aqua Tail or Ice Fang and DD Mega Altaria remains a huge problem (the defense investment on Venomoth does not account for Earthquake variants). Thus, the last change will be Scizor>Mega Aerodactyl. It accounts for the previously stated threats while aiding Azumarill in checking Latias in particular, since it provides a Psychic resist to the team. The spread chosen has enough physical bulk to sponge hits from Mega Aerodactyl while outspeeding Adamant max speed Azumarill (in case a BD variant gets to set up). Knock Off helps to deny passive recovery from Mantine, Quagsire and even Pyukumuku (all of which stand in the way of Venomoth sweeping versus stall, but without Leftovers they become a lot more manageable, especially when counting Sludge Bomb poisons).
    Scizor @ Leftovers
    Ability: Technician
    EVs: 248 HP / 12 Atk / 96 Def / 16 SpD / 136 Spe
    Impish Nature
    - Bullet Punch
    - Knock Off
    - Swords Dance
    - Roost
    Thankfully, the Gliscor change from earlier also incorporates it as a Rocker instead of Mega Aerodactyl, so the team does not lose out on those.
Overview of the changes I made:
  • EV spread change on Venomoth
  • EV spread change on Gliscor
    + LO Latias w/ Defog > Choice Scarf Hydreigon
    >
  • Choice Scarf Infernape over Rotom-W
    >
  • SD Scizor over Mega Aerodactyl
    >
Overall, these are more changes than I had originally planned to make. I kept the idea of trapping with Azumarill to help Venomoth sweep and elaborated on that strategy by incorporating SD Knock Off Scizor, which shares some answers with Venomoth that Azumarill alone may not be able to remove. The original holes of the team were in my eyes significant enough to make three replacements, which somewhat shakes up the dynamic (Rotom-W's pivot function is the most notable loss) but ultimately improves the team's ability to better respond the metagame defining threats outlined above ( Altaria-M, SD Scizor, Rotom-W, Aerodactyl-M, ...). Cheers!

Venomoth @ Buginium Z
EVs: 80 HP / 32 Def / 144 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Bug Buzz
- Sludge Bomb
- Roost
- Quiver Dance

Infernape @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Blaze
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Close Combat
- U-turn
- Will-O-Wisp

Azumarill (F) @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD / 4 Spe
Impish Nature
- Whirlpool
- Play Rough
- Perish Song
- Protect

Latias @ Life Orb/Soul Dew
Timid Nature
IVs: 29 HP / 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Recover
- Defog

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
EVs: 244 HP / 8 Atk / 188 SpD / 64 Spe
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock
- Roost

Scizor @ Leftovers
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 12 Atk / 96 Def / 16 SpD / 136 Spe
Impish Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Knock Off
- Swords Dance
- Roost

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)