UU Victim of the Week! (Week Twenty-Seven: Contrary Serperior)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CoolStoryBrobat

The hero Smogon needs, but not the one it deserves
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Victim of the Week!

Generation VI UU Edition
Approved by Kokoloko
OP graciously stolen from the OU version

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Every generation is different and the metagame is constantly changing. However there's always been and always will be one constant: Threats.
Whether it be a defensive threat or an offensive threats, any competent competitive Pokémon player should have some knowledge on how to handle common, top-tier threats.
That's where you guys as a community come in. This project aims to gather some of the common top-tier threats in the current metagame and find Pokémon that can either check or counter the respective 'mon.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~​

The Rules
  • Every round, I will nominate a Pokémon (moveset specifically) for discussion. Within one week's time, you guys will have the ability to discuss and nominate various Pokémon that you think can either check or counter the victim of the week.
  • After the deadline, I will choose the top three checks and the top three counters. Should there be a lot of nominations, I will discuss my choices with other skilled players to ensure the selections are not biased and that all nominations have been considered thoroughly.
  • The results will be archived and the process will continue.
  • When nominating your check/counter please follow the provided format:
    - Name of the Pokémon
    - Check or Counter
    - Short Description as to why you chose this particular Pokémon

- Set(s) that work well against the victim of the week
  • Minimum of 3 sentences for each set
  • -To be considered a counter, a Pokemon must be able to switch into any of the opponent's moves under normal battle conditions, including taking damage from Stealth Rock, and reliably KO the opponent before the counter is KOed itself.
    -To be considered a check, a Pokemon must be able to switch into at least one but not all of the opponent's moves under normal battle conditions, including taking damage from Stealth Rock, and reliably KO the opponent before the counter is KOed itself
  • I like to believe we're all decently mature ツ
    That being said, just exercise some common courtesy please.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Archive
Crocune

Counters: Amoonguss (Calloflochie) | Toxicroak (Swamp Link) | Heliolisk (Ununhexium)
Checks: Sableye (Michaeloche) | Celebi (Bouffalant) | Rotom-C (Eaglehawk)

SD Lucario

Counters: Gligar (Swamp Link) | Sableye (Calloflochie) | Qwilfish (hilarious)
Checks: Slowbro (Michaeloche) | Chandelure (Sleepless) | Cobalion (Colbrushie)

Specially Based Life Orb Hydreigon

Counters: Aromatisse (SlottedPig) | Suicune (Calloflochie) | Milotic (Sean B.)
Checks: Alakazam (Billtodamax) | Empoleon (CoolStoryBrobat) | Cobalion (Swamp Link)

Swords Dance Mew

Counters: Sableye (Billtodamax) | Spiritomb (Bouffalant) | Umbreon (Colbrushie)
Checks: Escavalier (Calloflochie) | Mega Aggron (Dingbat) | Honchkrow (Professional2341)

Mixed Life Orb Infernape

Counters: Slowking (Calloflochie) | Chandelure (Colbrushie) | Victini (Sean B.)
Checks: Mega Ampharos (Dingbat) | Mega Aerodactyl (Sage of the 6) | Noivern (st123)

Dragon Dance Haxorus

Counters: Forretress (Bluwing) | Carbink (hilarious) | ---
Checks: Granbull (Swamp Link) | Hippowdon (Kitten Milk) | Hydreigon (Calloflochie)

Life Orb Shaymin

Counters: Goodra (Sage of the 6) | Blissey (Bluwing) | Registeel (Calloflochie)
Checks: Crobat (Swamp Link) | Rotom-Heat (Billtodamax) | Escavalier (mezomi)

Mixed Victini

Counters: Arcanine (Professional2341) | Snorlax (Calloflochie) | Goodra (Flygoner818)
Checks: Dugtrio (Colbrushie) | Krookodile (Swamp Link) | Hydreigon (Sage of the 6)

Superachi

Counters: Mega Aggron (Canasian) | Metagross (Professional2341) | Jirachi (hilarious)
Checks: Victini (Jellied Eels) | Dugtrio (dingbat) | Mega Houndoom (bluwing)

Physical Sweeper Meloetta

Counters: Granbull (Canasian) | Hippowdon (Professional2341) | Sableye (President Shinra)
Checks: Aerodactyl (Nysyr) | Doublade (Xyldaz) | Cresselia (Sage of the 6)

Nasty Plot Mega Houndoom

Counters: Blissey (Canasian) | Snorlax (President Shinra) | Goodra (Professional2341)
Checks: Empoleon (Meowiekins) | Hydreigon (Xyldaz) | Infernape (Kitten Milk)

Choice Band Krookodile

Counters: Alomomola (Sparktrain) | Granbull (Sean B.) | Chesnaught (Canasian)
Checks: Shaymin (Thisbemyalt) | Hydreigon (Sage of the 6) | Virizion (King UU)

Mixed Nidoking

Counters: Vaporeon (Sleepless) | Porygon2 (Colbrushie) | Cresselia (Billtodamax)
Checks: Snorlax (President Shinra) | Machamp (imaloony) | Seismitoad (~Volbeatdown~)

Shell Smash Cloyster

Counters: Empoleon (Boltsandbombers) | Jellicent (The TurtleLord) | Registeel (~Volbeatdown~)
Checks: Metagross (imaloony) | Lucario (Dudeman130498) | Porygon2 (Thisbemyalt)

Double Dance Porygon-Z

Counters: Blissey (~Volbeatdown~) | Cobalion (LiberalLucario) | Snorlax (Venduria)
Checks: Meloetta (King UU) | Empoleon (imaloony) | Registeel (TrulyDevious)

Life Orb Kyurem

Counters: Bronzong (Calloflochie) | Registeel (TheTurtleLord) | ---
Checks: Forretress (Lord of Bays) | Cresselia (dingbat) | Snorlax (IronBullet93)

Choice Band Machamp

Counters: Cresselia (Lord of Bays) | Granbull (Calloflochie) | Slowking (Canasian)
Checks: Crobat (dingbat) | Doublade (IronBullet93) | Alakazam (TrulyDevious

Nasty Plot Azelf

Counters: Umbreon (Xpzm3) | Porygon2 (Wobblebuns) | Slowking (Venduria)
Checks: Mega Houndoom (Billtodamax) | Hydreigon (IronBullet93) | Mega Aerodactyl (Calloflochie)

Swords Dance Toxicroak

Counters: Hippowdon (The TurtleLord) | Quagsire (Venduria) | Gligar (SlottedPig)
Checks: Flygon (Wobblebuns) | Crobat (Billtodamax) | Mega Aerodactyl (Sleepless)

Mega Alakazam

Counters: Drapion (Venduria) | Jirachi (Wobblebuns) | ---
Checks: Escavalier (LiberalLucario) | Spiritomb (Century Express) | Hydreigon (Thanks Brock Obama)

SubCoil Zygarde

Counters: Whimsicott (Century Express) | Bronzong (CoolTrainerGary) | Granbull (Warzoid)
Checks: Spiritomb (Branflakes325) | Mega Altaria (Lucariomaster2) | Noivern (Thanks Brock Obama)

Mega Sceptile

Counters: Blissey (Lord of Bays) | Florges (Century Express) | Roserade (Dudeman130498)
Checks: Whimsicott (Shaymin :D) | Fletchinder (Thanks Brock Obama) | Crobat (KaiseraAeros)

Mega Pidgeot

Counters: Mega Ampharos (Venduria) | Blissey (Jernmax) | Empoleon (Wobblebuns)
Checks: Jolteon (Century Express) | Slowking (KaiseraAeros) | Mega Aerodactyl (dingbat)

Mega Glalie

Counters: Jirachi (Hot N Cold) | Forretress (Hikari) | Bronzong (Orbital)
Checks: Suicune (KaiseraAeros) | Durant (Dingbat) | Rotom-H (The TurtleLord)

Mega Absol

Counters: Aromatisse (Meowiekins) | Quagsire (Hikari) | Granbull (hilarious)
Checks: Mega Aggron (KaiseraAeros) | Rhyperior (dingbat) | Chesnaught (Century Express)

Mega Swampert

Counters: Celebi (Hikari) | Chesnaught (Venduria) | Alomomola (hilarious)
Checks: Virizion (Xyldaz) | Amoonguss (Celio) | Rotom-C (eaglehawk)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Week Twenty-Seven

Set name: Contrary Serperior​
name: Contrary Serperior
move 1: Leaf Storm
move 2: Dragon Pulse
move 3: Hidden Power Fire / Hidden Power Rock
move 4: Glare / Giga Drain / Synthesis
ability: Contrary
item: Meadow Plate / Life Orb
evs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
nature: Timid​

DO NOT MAKE A RESERVATION WITHOUT UPDATING WITHIN AT LEAST 6 HOURS. FAIL TO DO SO AND SOMEONE ELSE WILL BE ABLE TO CLAIM IT.

Last edited:
Toxicroak

It's a hard counter.

Dry Skin.

Swords Dance:
Toxicroak @ Life Orb
Ability: Dry Skin
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Gunk Shot
- Drain Punch
- Sucker Punch

This thing loses to the legendary Extrasensory Suicune, but that ain't on the moveset. Dry Skin means Suicune can't touch it, it can set up a Swords Dance for free whenever it comes in, Gunk Shot hits hard as fuck, Drain Punch allows it to continue checking it throughout the match, and Sucker Punch is strong priority to sweep with the free set up you get. You can use Cross Chop instead of Drain Punch if you want more powah.

SubPunch:
Toxicroak @ Black Sludge
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Focus Punch
- Gunk Shot
- Sucker Punch

Similar to the above, except this sets up Substitutes for free instead of Swords Dance. Focus Punch also hits really hard, Gunk Shot is the same Poison-type STAB, Sucker Punch works well with Substitute because they're forced to attack.

Last edited:

Ununhexium

I closed my eyes and I slipped away...
is a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus

Heliolisk

Hard counter

Heliolisk @ Choice Specs
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 Def
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast
- Grass Knot / Surf

This is a pretty straightforward Heliolisk set. Because of Dry Skin, Heliolisk can manhandle CroCune entirely because Heliolisk is immune to Water. With Choice Specs equipped, Heliolisk has a 12.5% chance to OHKO with Thunderbolt, and an 87.5% chance to OHKO with Thunderbolt after Stealth Rock. With two layers of Spikes or SR and 1 layer of Spikes, it always OHKOes. Volt Switch can punish any teams that switch Suicune out by quickly nabbing some momentum for you. Focus Blast, Grass Knot, and Surf are really just coverage moves. Also, specs Thunderbolt always 2HKOes Suicune at +1 Special Defense

Heliolisk @ Life Orb / Leftovers
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 Def
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast
- Grass Knot / Surf

This set plays a bit differently from the specs set, but is equally effective. It can come in on CroCune because of its immunity to Water via Dry skin. Once in, Heliolisk can do whatever it like. Substitute on Suicune, and if it switches you have a free Substitute to use on the switch in, but if it stays, Suicune can't do anything regardless so you have a free turn to attack. This set has a bit less power with than Choice Specs, only having a 12.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock. Leftovers can be used over Life Orb if your team is really weak to CroCune and you need to be able to come in multiple times, as Heliolisk is worn down rather quickly between Substitute, Life Orb, and entry hazards. Keep in mind, though, that this has less power than Life Orb even, only having a 50% chance to OHKO with SR and 3 layers of Spikes, but can still 2HKO Suicune without boosts.

Last edited:
For this victim of the week I chose Cacturne as a counter to the given pokemon and its set. Due to its very useful ability in water absorb Cacturne has no fear switching into Suicune and can either 2HKO unboosted or set up a SD and proceed to terrorize the opposing team with +2 sucker punches. Though I find the set extremely inferior in the UU metagame Cacturne can also set up spikes with its free turns to provide team support. Some forms of crocune can carry ice beam though even this isnt a huge problem for Cacturne as Ice Beam is a garunteed 2HKO from full.

Calcs to back up my points
4 SpA Suicune Ice Beam vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Cacturne: 180-214 (63.8 - 75.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Cacturne Seed Bomb vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Suicune: 226-268 (55.9 - 66.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

The set
Cacturne @ Life Orb
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 Spd / 4 HP / 252 Atk
Adamant Nature
- Seed Bomb
- Sucker Punch
- Low Kick
- Swords Dance/Spikes

CM Gothorita@Eviolite
Shadow Tag
252hp/252spdef/4spatk
Calm

-Rest
-Sleep Talk
-Calm Mind
-Psyshock

This set traps Cune and can set up with it, normally ending in a +4 +4 situation but Goth will always win barring crits with Psyshock hitting its defenses.

CM Slowbro@Lefties
Regenerator
252hp/252Def/4speed
Bold

-Slack off
-Scald
-Psyshock
-Calm Mind

Same idea as Gothorita, but bro has most reliable recovery resistance and higher sp.atk. Goth is good for trapping shit like Florges too but Bro is better for your standard team

Critdra(im suggesting a set that fucks stall in general)@Razor Claw
Sniper
252 spatk/252atk
Mild

-Focus Energy
-Draco Meteor
-Outrage
-Iron Head

252 Atk Sniper Kingdra Outrage vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Blissey on a critical hit: 648-762 (90.7 - 106.7%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Sniper Kingdra Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Florges on a critical hit: 291-345 (80.8 - 95.8%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Sniper Kingdra Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Suicune on a critical hit: 378-445 (93.5 - 110.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

Those are beautiful..... Critdra is awesome counter to Cune and as you can see decimates stall teams. Idk if I need explain more

I saw Crocune run Extrasensory over sleep talk...things did not end well for my Toxicroak to say the least lol.

Well, obviously any Dry Skin/Water Absorb user will beat mono-attacking Suicune. I offer something different to the table:

@ Lum Berrry
Justified
Jolly Nature
4 HP/ 252 Atk/ 252 Speed
-Swords Dance
-Leaf Blade
-Close Combat
-Stone Edge/X-Scissor

Virizion is really underrated IMO. It's STABs alone breaks the Slowbro/Blissey core. But, it's sky high Sp Def coupled with grass typing and Lum Berry to prevent burn, it's almost guaranteed to beat Crocune. Crocune needs to be at +6 to just 3HKO Virizion. After a SD, Leaf Blade does 88% on Suicune, while burned Virizion's +2 Leaf Blade does 44%.

+6 4 SpA Suicune Scald vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Virizion: 127-150 (39.1 - 46.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
+2 252 Atk Virizion Leaf Blade vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Suicune: 300-354 (74.2 - 87.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252 Atk burned Virizion Leaf Blade vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Suicune: 150-177 (37.1 - 43.8%) -- 99.7% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

pokemonisfun

Banned deucer.
are we supposed to be looking for the best counter/check to pokemon x or the best pokemon that still counters/checks pokemon x?

CoolStoryBrobat

is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
are we supposed to be looking for the best counter/check to pokemon x or the best pokemon that still counters/checks pokemon x?
Best counter/check to the specific Pokemon set listed. Just in case, based on what happened with the OU thread since different sets have their own checks and counters I stuck to posting specific sets. So yeah just whatever best covers the set listed should be good

pokemonisfun

Banned deucer.
then most these sets are flawed because like you dont need to run speed on virizion you should just invest in spdef and attack to make it even a better counter to cune?

Ununhexium

I closed my eyes and I slipped away...
is a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
yeah but it can also completely countersweep the opposing team

EDIT: so basically the best viable set

CoolStoryBrobat

then most these sets are flawed because like you dont need to run speed on virizion you should just invest in spdef and attack to make it even a better counter to cune?
Actually...changed my mind. Most viable set that happens to also be a check/counter to the set listed

Minus

get a dog little longy, get a dog
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
All of you guys took the good stuff :[

CoolStoryBrobat: Like I'd give you color points for using Whirlpool Water Absorb Perish Song Politoed
Politoed @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Whirlpool
- Perish Song
- Encore
- Scald

#1 Hard Counter

Whirlpool is to trap, and Politoed takes no damage due to Water Absorb. Use Perish Song after this to kill it. Scald is for filler STAB and 30% 100% burn rate. Encore is just w/e. Good day.

Last edited:
Tbh I always found this thread to just be, who could be the first to reserve the best mons and basically any ol' retard could work out a Dry Skin mon vs a Mono-Attacking Water mon is obviously going to be a counter. So I would think that's it best to list Suicune and mention it's options that it has like Ice Beam, like Extrasensory, regardless of how rare those are, they still make it that Toxicroak is not a counter, Cacturne is not a counter, Heliolisk doesn't really want to come in on repeated Ice Beams, so this actually gives the competition the variety instead of 'hurr durr reserved mon x y z so i'm basically guaranteed to win with this'. Also Minus idk why you're not running Scald on a Spdef Politoed but w/e.

Amoonguss (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
Shiny: Yes <-------------------------- Very important that it is Shiny. This increases all stats by 10%.
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SDef / 8 SAtk
Calm Nature
- Spore
- Clear Smog
- Giga Drain
- Foul Play

+6 4 SpA Suicune Scald vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Amoonguss: 131-155 (30.3 - 35.8%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Black Sludge recovery
+1 4 SpA Suicune Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Amoonguss: 148-176 (34.2 - 40.7%) -- 51.4% chance to 3HKO after Black Sludge recovery
+1 252 SpA Suicune Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Amoonguss: 192-226 (44.4 - 52.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Black Sludge recovery

And then you Clear Smog and all the boosts are gone :] Amoonguss is a hard stop to Crocune and unlike a lot of the other mons mentioned in this thread, Amoonguss still has great uses on the team when there is not a Suicune on the team. Basically acts as a 100% guaranteed switch in to Florges allowing it to put something to sleep. But what it does vs Suicune that plenty of these other mons don't do very well, is come back in over and over and over again without ever being warned down thanks to Regenerator. Obviously, this isn't as tremendous of a Counter as a Water Absorb mon cause it still takes damage/can get burned or whatever but I'd honestly rather pick a viable mon that stops all the Suicune sets than use a Pokemon that sucks in the meta but at least it stops Suicune right :^). Will be interested to see how voting goes on this since it will say a lot about the quality of this competition in times to come.

Tbh I always found this thread to just be, who could be the first to reserve the best mons and basically any ol' retard could work out a Dry Skin mon vs a Mono-Attacking Water mon is obviously going to be a counter. So I would think that's it best to list Suicune and mention it's options that it has like Ice Beam, like Extrasensory, regardless of how rare those are, they still make it that Toxicroak is not a counter, Cacturne is not a counter, Heliolisk doesn't really want to come in on repeated Ice Beams, so this actually gives the competition the variety instead of 'hurr durr reserved mon x y z so i'm basically guaranteed to win with this'. Also Minus idk why you're not running Scald on a Spdef Politoed but w/e.

Amoonguss (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
Shiny: Yes <-------------------------- Very important that it is Shiny. This increases all stats by 10%.
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SDef / 8 SAtk
Calm Nature
- Spore
- Clear Smog
- Giga Drain
- Foul Play

+6 4 SpA Suicune Scald vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Amoonguss: 131-155 (30.3 - 35.8%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Black Sludge recovery
+1 4 SpA Suicune Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Amoonguss: 148-176 (34.2 - 40.7%) -- 51.4% chance to 3HKO after Black Sludge recovery
+1 252 SpA Suicune Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Amoonguss: 192-226 (44.4 - 52.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Black Sludge recovery

And then you Clear Smog and all the boosts are gone :] Amoonguss is a hard stop to Crocune and unlike a lot of the other mons mentioned in this thread, Amoonguss still has great uses on the team when there is not a Suicune on the team. Basically acts as a 100% guaranteed switch in to Florges allowing it to put something to sleep. But what it does vs Suicune that plenty of these other mons don't do very well, is come back in over and over and over again without ever being warned down thanks to Regenerator. Obviously, this isn't as tremendous of a Counter as a Water Absorb mon cause it still takes damage/can get burned or whatever but I'd honestly rather pick a viable mon that stops all the Suicune sets than use a Pokemon that sucks in the meta but at least it stops Suicune right :^). Will be interested to see how voting goes on this since it will say a lot about the quality of this competition in times to come.
but cacturne can be useful outside of crocune :[

CoolStoryBrobat

Just one more thing I wanna point out about this project, just so people don't get too misguided on how it plays...Creativity is always encouraged, and ain't much wrong with it, but aim for practicality on this one too. This one isn't The Next Best thing where you would ONLY find underrated and creative ways to beat the Pokemon set listed (though seeing the things you guys come up with in that regard is kinda cool). Like as I stated above, since different sets have their own checks and counters it's a lot easier to just focus on countering/checking one specific moveset. And while it's easy to find a mon who can be a perfect utility counter to that set (Shoutout to Minus and Perish Trapper Politoed) it's also encouraged to, paraphrasing what Calloflochie said, use a Pokemon who is still decent in the metagame, who still has a vital role on a team outside of just countering this movset. The goal of this project is to highlight threatening Pokemon in the metagame and list reliable checks/counters for them, for the sake of getting newer players to understand, as well as giving seasoned players maybe alternative ideas. Overall it's educational, naw'msayin? Maybe in the future I might put a few slashes on the movesets here or there depending on what it is, just to give a bit of flexibility. And no, I'm not discouraging anybody who posted here thus far (I'm glad y'all are interested in this project, and I hope it keeps going) but I just want to make sure everyone involved "gets it".

Yes Meru/Eaglehawk you are still able to post Jynx after reading this. Though...in the future, let's not have 2 people reserve the same Pokemon, regardless of whether one of you guys actually used it or not. For the sake of avoiding conflict

Oh and one more thing! I decided how Leaderboard Points will be factored into this. Since a potential 6 people can win each week in this project, any user who has "won" (Gotten their set listed) 3 times will get 1 Leaderboard Point. May seem like a chore to wait 3 weeks for 1 point, but a lot of people have a chance to get something out of contributing to this project consistently. So yeah, have fun everybody :]

Meru

ate them up
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion

Jynx @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Lovely Kiss
- Nasty Plot
- Ice Beam
- Psyshock

Thanks to Dry Skin, as well as resistance to Ice Beam, Extrasensory, and a decent special defense stat, Jynx is able to make a top notch switch-in to Crocune early game to use it for wallbreaking. Jynx is has access to the somewhat rare Nasty Plot, and thanks to STAB Psyshock, not even Blissey and Florges can stand up to it, making it a very scary wallbreaker despite its NU status. Umbreon and SpDef Mew stand out as the only special walls capable of going toe to toe with Jynx, so using her alongside another wallbreaker such as SD Heracross helps to break down any common defensive cores you can find. It might seem like Slowbro would wall this set due to resisting both Ice Beam and Psyshock but due to Jynx's massive wallbreaking power, it faces a clean 2HKO.

+2 252 SpA Life Orb Jynx Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Slowbro: 211-248 (53.5 - 62.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Jynx still fares decently against offensive teams, as 95 base speed is still able to pick off a few threats such as Heracross and the Nidos. Overall I recommend Jynx as a good choice for an offensive team that is having trouble taking down mid-game Crocune.

Looking at Crocune, I can think of some traits that can help something beat it. Those are, in no particular order:
-Able to take repeated Scalds through some combination of bulk, typing, ability, and recovery
-Able to get around its constant resting, via Taunt or boosting, for example
-Doesn't mind getting burned (unless it's immune to Scald) or PP stall
-Most importantly, actually able to deal enough damage to take it out, direct or otherwise

With that in mind, I present this potential check:

Sableye @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Calm/Careful Nature
-Taunt
-Will-o-Wisp/Toxic
-Recover
-Knock Off/Night Shade

Unboosted, Crocune can only do about 25-30% to this spread with Scald, and Sableye has Recover to take off damage, so it satisfies the first point. Taunt allows Sableye to block Rest, fulfilling the second point. Since it's mainly a support mon, Sableye can handle being burned due to Knock Off being more for utility than damage here, and its moves have enough PP to get around Pressure, thus satisfying point 3. Finally, inflicting a damaging status on Suicune will wear down its HP, as will simply attacking it. Knock Off can expedite the process, especially if you run WoW, by removing Leftovers, while Night Shade does more consistent damage.
However, Sableye can't switch in on boosted Scalds very well, and if Crocune is already boosted beyond +2, the Scald damage may be too much. Therefore, I would classify Sableye as a check, not a counter. Nonetheless, if you catch it early and keep up the pressure (pardon the expression), you can beat it.

tl;dr Sableye can check Crocune

Poliwrath @ Leftovers or Chesto Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spdef
Careful Nature
- Circle Throw
- Bulk Up
- rest
- Sleep Talk / Waterfall / Poison Jab

Stealing this guy from the depths of RU to show a fine answer to nearly all versions of crocune, even ones with extrasensory. Circle throw allows you to phaze crocune among other mons, so you can't be used as set up due to the lack of attack investment. Bulk Up is to strengthen circle throw while increasing the weaker defense stat side. resttalk to increase longevity, but chesto rest can function as well (also you can go with a more offensive ev spread). Waterfall provides more coverage so ghosts don't wall you, and pjab hits faries. Also phazes the shit out of switch ins.
Edit:
4 SpA Suicune Extrasensory vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Poliwrath: 82-98 (21.3 - 25.5%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery
(82, 84, 84, 86, 86, 88, 88, 90, 90, 92, 92, 94, 94, 96, 96, 98)
--------------
+1 4 SpA Suicune Extrasensory vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Poliwrath: 124-146 (32.2 - 38%) -- 0.6% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
(124, 124, 126, 128, 128, 130, 132, 134, 134, 136, 138, 140, 140, 142, 144, 146)
--------------
+2 4 SpA Suicune Extrasensory vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Poliwrath: 164-194 (42.7 - 50.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
(164, 166, 168, 170, 172, 174, 176, 178, 180, 182, 184, 186, 188, 190, 192, 194)

As you can see SR and +2 extrasensories are needed to defeat poliwrath. Also circle throw can't bea last mon crocune but those don't run extrasensory.

Last edited:
You can have your Jynx, Meru. I have something better.

Hard Counter

Rotom-C @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 Sp.Att / 4 Sp.Def / 252 Spe
Modest/Timid
- Leaf Storm
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Trick

Practical?: Yes
Viable?: Yes

How Rotom-C does against Suicune:
Assuming 1v1 matchup, Rotom-C straight-up murders Suicune in one of two ways:

Leaf Storm
252 SpA Rotom-C Leaf Storm vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Suicune: 324-384 (80.1 - 95%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
-2 252 SpA Rotom-C Leaf Storm vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Suicune: 164-194 (40.5 - 48%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Thunderbolt
252 SpA Rotom-C Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Suicune: 224-266 (55.4 - 65.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Rotom-C Leaf Storm vs. +1 252 HP / 0 SpD Suicune: 218-258 (53.9 - 63.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Max Scald damage:
+6 4 SpA Suicune Scald vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Rotom-C: 148-175 (61.4 - 72.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

During any time between +0 and +2 Suicune, ROtom-C Tricks a Choice Scarf onto Suicune. Suicune is effectively locked into one of its four moves. Scald will continue to do minimal damage. Sleep Talk will just end up being useless. Rest will heal it, but leaves it vulnerable for two turns, which is enough considering that TBolt 3HKOs Suicune and that Rotom-C is faster. Calm Mind does let it get to +6 if it stays in, but lack of recovery will just make it dead weight and gets easily 6HKOed by Rotom-C, which isn't that hard considering Suicune can't really do jackshit back to you.

Rotom-C in the UU meta:
In my opinion, Rotom-C is much better in this iteration of the metagame than its Heat counterpart. It can sufficiently neuter any Bulky water in the tier (Slowbro and Suicune) with relative safety. As a Scarfer, it provides great bulk with amazing momentum in STAB Volt Switch and a stall-killing Trick, which makes his momentum moves more spammable and deal more damage neutrally than any other Scarfer with U-Turn / Volt Switch. In this offensive meta right now, Rotom-C has a unique toolkit that allows it to complement offense teams by providing the following:
- Stall-Breaking / Wall-Neutering
- Revenge killing
- Offensive momentum with Volt Switch.

Have fun kids.

p.s. You're write-up for Jynx is definitely better than what I had in mind, Meru.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)