Uxie (Calm Mind)

Bloo

Banned deucer.
Franky wrote this entire thing; I'm just passing it through grammar and whatnot.

Needs grammar checks.

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/uxie

[SET]
name: Mono Attacker
move 1: Calm Mind
move 2: Psychic
move 3: Rest
move 4: Sleep Talk
item: Leftovers
nature: Bold
evs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 6 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Once Uxie acquires enough Calm Minds, this set can be a dangerous sweeper. Thanks to its already-high defensive stats, Uxie will more than likely attain plenty of Calm Minds over a long period of time. Additionally, immunity to Spikes and Toxic Spikes makes this set one of the best mono-attackers around, as Uxie can switch in at any point of the match without taking any major residual damage. The tried-and-true selling point of this set, however, is Uxie's typing; Bug-, Ghost-, and Dark-type moves are uncommon in UU, which means Uxie will mostly be soaking up neutral hits.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>This set's effectiveness heavily relies on how well you have scouted your opponent's team. It's highly recommended that Uxie is brought out in the later stages of the match, as common defensive Pokemon like Haze Milotic can be a major barricade to Uxie. Dark-types also shut this set down cold, so it is recommended that they are scouted and eliminated beforehand.</p>

<p>Donphan makes an excellent partner thanks to its ability to draw in and 2HKO Spiritomb with Stealth Rock in play. Additionally, pairing Donphan with a dangerous Flying-type like Scyther or Moltres can be beneficial, as it forces the opponent to block your Rapid Spin attempts even more. Lastly, Donphan can draw in Milotic, which can make planning Uxie's potential sweep much easier.</p>

<p>Choice Specs Rotom makes a good offensive partner as well, as it can draw in defensive Dark-types and strike them hard with STAB Thunderbolt. Similar to Rotom, Mismagius can easily inflict respectable damage to most Dark-types after a Nasty Plot boost. Substitute Dugtrio also makes a great offensive partner thanks to its ability to trap Chansey and Registeel, who are both major problems to Uxie. Furthermore, Substitute Dugtrio can be used to deal with Drapion, Houndoom, and Absol with the correct prediction.</p>

<p>If you whip out Uxie early in the match to safeguard against several physical sweepers, then pairing it with a defensive Pokemon to deal with its typical counters is recommended. Defensive Hitmontop can deal with Drapion and Absol, while Venusaur can check Haze Milotic the entire match. Though it's not necessary, Spikes support can make the process of removing defensive juggernauts like Milotic much quicker, which can ultimately lead to an easier sweep for Uxie.</p>

Pretesting notes:

- You're going to get destroyed by Houndoom, Absol, and to a lesser extent Drapion. Absol and Houndoom are really difficult to stop once set up, not much can do it at all, but you're not going to be able to take an attack more than once or twice.

- You're going to get destroyed by Alakazam.

- You're going to get destroyed by Taunt Missy.

- 3HKOes Chansey at best with +6 (32.9% - 39%).

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Here is an alternative EV spreads/Moveset:

Timid
Leftovers
144 Hp / 226 SpA / 140 Spe
-Calm Mind
-Substitute
-Psychic
-Signal Beam

You lose some slight bulk but you gain more power and speed. (enough speed to outspace base 81's)

franky

aka pimpdaddyfranky, aka frankydelaghetto, aka F, aka ef
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I was thinking of putting the two sets in one thread, but unfortunately, they are both different sets. If anything, someone else should post a sub + cm set. this set is different from that one.

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I've been swept by this set when I've been unprepared a few times, so it's definitely viable. You should definitely make a HUGE (When I mean huge, I mean at least an entire paragraph) emphasis on how Darks wall this though. Also, you should probably name this set to "Calm Mind + RestTalk" since there are quite a few Calm Mind sets Uxie can run.

Already I tested this and it was surprisingly effective on the ladder, and I find sets like this are even more effective when used in bo1 tourny matches since you need to go out of your way to prepare for this.

Some requirements:

Houndoom, Absol, Drapion, Registeel, and Chansey are really dangerous or annoying hard counters. Emphasize Substitute Dugtrio so that it literally beats every one of those Pokemon

Blaziken worked quite well with it too. It dominates Spiritomb as well as Houndoom, Registeel, and to an extent, Absol (if it switches in on anything but Superpower). And of course Uxie makes a great bulky Water, Psychic, and Ground attack absorber for Blaziken.

I think Pursuit is less important, but you can mention it to take care of Chansey and Mismagius (who is surprisingly not very threatening to this set..).

On the condition that these are all included:

I hate to stir things up but if Uxie were to have a Calm Mind set it should be...

name: Calm Mind
move 1: Psychic
move 2: ThunderBolt
move 3: Substitute
move 4: Calm Mind
nature: Timid
evs: 24 Hp / 252 SpA / 232 Spe or 252 SpA / 252 Spe

Outspeeds Rotom and most Mixdoom, SpA investment pays off with minimal Calm Minds, Status can be dodged with Sub, and finally T-Bolt has better coverage than Signal Beam (where it matters) as well as stronger BP wise.

Notable Signal Beam targets:
Alakazam
Mespirit
Uxie
Absol

Notable T-Bolt targets:
Milo
Blastoise
Dark/ whatever
Registeel
... basically anything Psychic cannot hit effectively.

I've use this set extensively and successfully. The previous two sets look like a gimmick and not very well thought out.

I mean the set prolly deserves to be on-site, but I've personally never been swept by one and I haven't seen anyone thats used this set ever sweep with it. I'm a bit iffy on its effectiveness when you have hard counters that aren't as easy to eliminate even with Dugtrio. Spiritomb doesn't die to Dugtrio, neither does Chansey with Shed Shell. Haze Milotic also really hurts the effectiveness of this set. I guess Pursuit can help this set out but I'd much rather use a different mono-attacker if I had to like Registeel. Its counters are too prominent in the metagame IMO.

I think this set should probably be called "Mono Attacker" like the other Restalk + Calm Mind sets. There are too many other Calm Mind sets I believe.

i kinda agree with tof, but this is still a decent set and i can see myself using it on a team if i really needed the benefits it brings. uxie also has no other set that plays this way, and there are only a few pokemon in uu that can effectively use this strategy (spiritomb, cradily, and registeel are the others).

Eo Ut Mortus

Elodin Smells
is a Programmeris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Championis a Past WCoP Champion

This set is heavily reliant on what the opponent uses. I found it hard to set up against more offensive teams, but fairly effective against defensive teams that had Haze-less Milotic, special Venusaur, etc. So, approved and moving.

Snorlaxe

2 kawaii 4 u
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
I barely play UU but damn I love this set

pink is grammar edits
blue is prose/content edits

[SET]
name: Calm Mind

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Once Uxie accumulates enough Calm Minds, this set can be a dangerous adversary. Thanks to its already-high defensive stats on both ends, Uxie will more than likely attain more Calm Minds over a long period of time. Additionally, immunity to Spikes and Toxic Spikes makes this set one of the best mono-attackers around as Uxie can switch in at any point of the match without taking any major residual damage. The tried-and-true selling point of this set, however, is Uxie's typing; Bug-, Ghost-, and Dark-type moves are uncommon in UU, which means Uxie will mostly be soaking up neutral hits.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>This set's effectiveness heavily relies on how well you have scouted your opponent's team. It's highly recommended that Uxie is brought out in the later stages of the match, as common defensive Pokemon like Haze Milotic can become a major barricade to Uxie. Dark-types also shut this set down cold, so it is recommended that they are scouted beforehand.</p>

<p>Donphan makes an excellent partner thanks to its ability to draw in Spiritomb. However, it is highly recommend you pair Donphan with a dangerous Flying-type like Scyther or Moltres, as it forces the opponent to block your Rapid Spin attempts even more. Earthquake can easily nail Spiritomb for the possible 2HKO. Additionally, Donphan can draw in Milotic, which can make planning Uxie's potential sweep much easier.</p>

<p>Choice Specs Rotom makes a good offensive partner as well, as it can draw in defensive Dark-types and strike them hard with an STAB Thunderbolt. Mismagius can do the same in a similar manner, and can easily inflict respectable damage to most Dark-types after a Nasty Plot boost. Substitute Dugtrio also makes a great offensive partner thanks to its ability to trap Chansey and Registeel - both handle Uxie well even with six Calm Minds under its belt. Furthermore, Substitute Dugtrio can be used to deal with Drapion, Houndoom, and Absol with the correct prediction.</p>

<p>Should you whip out Uxie earlier in the match to use as a defensive pivot to shut down several physical sweepers, pairing it with a defensive Pokemon to deal with its typical counters is recommended. Defensive Hitmontop can deal with Drapion and Absol, while Venusaur can deal with Haze Milotic the entire match. Though it's not recommended, Spikes can make the process of removing defensive juggernauts like Milotic much quicker, which can ultimately lead to an easier sweep for Uxie.</p>
Nice job. a few notes:

-at one point you talked about "blocking spin attempts", and while this was technically correct, I chose to change "spin" to "Rapid Spin", mainly due to the fact that this was the first time you talked about spinning in the whole analysis; I just wanna make the analysis as clear as possible in case some newbie doesnt get the "spin" reference
-I reworded some parts of the analysis to make it read better, and while the analysis definitely has a few prose issues, some of the stuff is mildly subjective, so feel free to use/not use at your discretion. I didnt really add any content as everything was already shipshape in that regard, but I did reword some stuff, so just a heads up
-you refer to some Pokemon in the analysis, such as Donphan, as "it", and while this is techincally incorrect when considering the new grammar rule, I left all of the "it" pronouns as they were. after the convention regarding gender thread settles down and some form of agreement is reached on the gender rule, then it may/may not be neccessary to change some pronouns around. just thought I'd let you know!

Great set, great analysis (^____^)

Bloo

Banned deucer.
Taking over this for franky. This has been approved by QC, so I'd appreciate it if someone could grammar check this for errors. Any other additional comments are welcome as well. Thanks!

Snorlaxe

2 kawaii 4 u
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
GP CHECK 1/2

pink is grammar edits
blue is prose edits

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Once Uxie acquires enough Calm Minds, this set can be a dangerous sweeper. Thanks to its already-high defensive stats, Uxie will more than likely attain more Calm Minds over a long period of time. Additionally, immunity to Spikes and Toxic Spikes makes this set one of the best mono-attackers around, as Uxie can switch in at any point of the match without taking any major residual damage. The tried-and-true selling point of this set, however, is Uxie's typing; Bug-, Ghost-, and Dark-type moves are uncommon in UU, which means Uxie will mostly be soaking up neutral hits.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>This set's effectiveness heavily relies on how well you have scouted your opponent's team. It's highly recommended that Uxie is brought out in the later stages of the match, as common defensive Pokemon like Haze Milotic can become a major barricade to Uxie. Dark-types also shut this set down cold, so it is recommended that they are scouted beforehand.</p>

<p>Donphan makes an excellent partner thanks to its ability to draw in Spiritomb. However, it is highly recommend you pair Donphan with a dangerous Flying-type like Scyther or Moltres, as it forces the opponent to block your Rapid Spin attempts even more. Earthquake can easily nail Spiritomb for the possible 2HKO. Additionally, Donphan can draw in Milotic, which can make planning Uxie's potential sweep much easier.</p>

<p>Choice Specs Rotom makes a good offensive partner as well, as it can draw in defensive Dark-types and strike them hard with a STAB Thunderbolt. Mismagius can do the same, and can easily inflict respectable damage to most Dark-types after a Nasty Plot boost. Substitute Dugtrio also makes a great offensive partner thanks to its ability to trap Chansey and Registeel; both handle Uxie well even with six Calm Minds under its belt. Furthermore, Substitute Dugtrio can be used to deal with Drapion, Houndoom, and Absol with the correct prediction.</p>

<p>Should you whip out Uxie earlier in the match to use as a defensive pivot to shut down several physical sweepers, pairing it with a defensive Pokemon to deal with its typical counters is recommended. Defensive Hitmontop can deal with Drapion and Absol, while Venusaur can
check Haze Milotic the entire match. Though it's not recommended, Spikes support can make the process of removing defensive juggernauts like Milotic much quicker, which can ultimately lead to an easier sweep for Uxie.</p>
nice job, hardly any errors (though maybe that's because i already checked this? :P)

Flora

Yep, that tasted purple!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
GP Check 2/2:
additions/changes/comments in blue
removals in red

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>
Once Uxie acquires enough Calm Minds, this set can be a dangerous sweeper. Thanks to its already-high defensive stats, Uxie will more than likely attain more plenty of Calm Minds over a long period oftime. Additionally, immunity to Spikes and Toxic Spikes makes this set one of the best mono-attackers around, as Uxie can switch in at any point of the match without taking any major residual damage. The tried-and-true selling point of this set, however, is Uxie's typing; Bug-, Ghost-, and Dark-type moves are uncommon in UU, which means Uxie will mostly be soaking up neutral hits.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>This set's effectiveness heavily relies on how well you have scouted your opponent's team. It's highly recommended that Uxie is brought out in the later stages of the match, as common defensive Pokemon like Haze Milotic can become a major barricade to Uxie. Dark-types also shut this set down cold, so it is recommended that they are scouted and eliminated beforehand.</p>

<p>Donphan makes an excellent partner thanks to its ability to draw in and 2HKO Spiritomb. However
Additionally, it is highly recommend you pairing Donphan with a dangerous Flying-type like Scyther or Moltres can be beneficial, as it forces the opponent to block your Rapid Spin attempts even more. Earthquake can easily nail Spiritomb for the possible 2HKO. Additionally Lastly, Donphan can draw in Milotic, which can make planning Uxie's potential sweep much easier.</p>

<p>Choice Specs Rotom makes a good offensive partner as well, as it can draw in defensive Dark-types and strike them hard with an STAB Thunderbolt.
Similar to Rotom, Mismagius can do the same, and can easily inflict respectable damage to most Dark-types after a Nasty Plot boost. Substitute Dugtrio also makes a great offensive partner thanks to its ability to trap Chansey and Registeel, whom are both major problems to Uxie; both handle Uxie well even with six Calm Minds under its belt. Furthermore, Substitute Dugtrio can be used to deal with Drapion, Houndoom, and Absol with the correct prediction.</p>

<p>Should If you whip out Uxie early in the match to use as a defensive pivot to shut down to safeguard against
several physical sweepers, then pairing it with a defensive Pokemon to deal with its typical counters is recommended. Defensive Hitmontop can deal with Drapion and Absol, while Venusaur can check Haze Milotic the entire match. Though it's not recommended, Spikes support can make the process of removing defensive juggernauts like Milotic much quicker, which can ultimately lead to an easier sweep for Uxie.</p>

Mostly prose nitpicks. Nice job!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)