Monotype Valyria: Mega Altaria Offense (Dragon) (peak #10, 1697 ELO) [Nominated to RMT of the Week]

Hey guys, it's GoldenTorkoal again with a Dragon team. This is the team i used to win Challenge #17 with Dragon of Cycle 10 of the Monotype Core Laddering Challenge, peaking #10 in the ladder with 1697 as you can see down below (with my alt CCDr10 Golden). The challenge consisted in building a team with the core Mega Altaria+Dragalge and getting as high as possible in the ladder. This has been the team i've had more success with; in my opinion getting top 10 in the ladder is pretty good for a medium player like me. After my experience with the Dragon team built around Salamence ('Imperial') and with this team, all i can say about Dragon is that is one of the most fun types to use since i tend to like more offensive oriented team. Mega Altaria has become a staple for Dragon teams since its release for reasons i'll explain later so i was looking forward to using this thing with the added value of Dragon being one of my favourite types. I've enjoyed this team a lot and i wanted to share it here, and even see if it can be improved. Lets take a deep look at 'Valyria'.

I started with Mega Altaria and Dragalge since it was the core requested for the Monotype Core Laddering Challenge. Mega Altaria is a good Dragon Dance user with enough bulk to ensure set up in a lot of occasions that provides an immunity to Dragon-type moves for the team, and Dragalge eases Mega Altaria's job with the valuable Toxic Spikes, wearing down opposing foes to help Mega Altaria in getting KOes.

Next thing i added was Garchomp to provide Stealth Rock for the team, which is really important along with Toxic Spikes to help Mega Altaria to clean the opposing team. Garchomp also threatens the worst nightmares for Mega Altaria and Dragalge, Steel-types, with the combination of Earthquake and Fire Blast. It's also a check for physical attackers like Excadrill, wearing them down with the Rough Skin+Rocky Helmet combo.

Then Choice Scarf Latios was added as the team's form of speed control to revenge kill some threats like Terrakion or Nihilego with STAB Psychic, as Latios is the best Choice Scarf user for Dragon teams because of its base Speed. Latios also has access to Defog to prevent Mega Altaria from taking unnecessary damage and Dragonite's Multiscale from being broken.

Kyurem-B was added as the next member of the team to have a mixed wallbreaker which could break through some bulky walls like Ferrothorn, Celesteela and Chansey, or at least weakening them to ease Mega Altaria getting KOes. Kyurem-B is also the only member of the team neutral to Ice-type moves, which is important to note when you're talking about a Dragon team.

Choice Band Dragonite was chosen for the last slot to perform the physical wallbreaker role, helping in difficult matchups like Normal with Superpower and Outrage. Dragonite can weaken Steel-types with Fire Punch and Superpower, which as i've said above they're the main problem that Mega Altaria faces when trying to sweep. Dragonite also helps against offense with Choice Band boosted Extreme Speed, the most powerful priority that exists.

Altaria-Mega @ Altarianite
Ability: Natural Cure
Happiness: 0
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
Dragon Dance
Frustration
Earthquake
Roost

Mega Altaria's good bulk (75/110/105) along with access to Dragon Dance makes it a very effective and powerful set up sweeper. Its part Fairy typing makes it immune to Dragon-type moves, which would otherwise allow threats like Choice Scarf Latios to destroy the team if played correctly. That Fairy-typing makes Mega Altaria the key in the mirror matchup, as it can proceed to set up once one of its teammates have been revenge killed by Draco Meteor users unless the opponent is running Choice Scarf Kyurem-B. It also eases a lot the Dark matchup because Dark teams doesn't have a solid answer for it despite Choice Scarf Greninja and Focus Sash Bisharp. After testing both Salamence and Mega Altaria, i conclude that despite having base 80 Speed stat and lacking the wallbreaking power of Devastating Drake, Mega Altaria is the better option for a Dragon team in terms of Dragon Dance user. Frustration is Mega Altaria's STAB Fairy-type move to hit Dragon-, Fighting- and Dark-types such as Kyurem-B, Mega Gallade and Mandibuzz, thanks to its ability: Pixilate. Frustration combined with 0 Happiness is run iver Return to prevent Ditto from copying the boosts and revenge kill it. Frustration hits really hard almost everything that doesn't resist it, that's to say everything except from Steel-, Poison- and Fire-types such as Skarmory, Toxapex and Torkoal. Earthquake is run as coverage to solve some of the problems addressed in the sentence before, hitting effectively grounded Steel-types such as Heatran and Magnezone, Poison-types such as Toxapex and Muk-Alola and Fire-types such as Torkoal and Victini. Roost is the move for the last slot to recover Mega Altaria's HP to extend its durability. Natural Cure is the ability chosen before becoming mega to have an emergency switch in to status moves such as Will-o-Wisp from Mega Sableye and Thunder Wave from Klefki. For the EV spread i decided to go with offensive Dragon Dance, with maximum Attack and Speed investment along with a Jolly nature to hit as hard as possible and outspeed threats such as Heatran and Mega Tyranitar. I opted for this investment over a bulkier one since i didn't have Hydreigon on the team to help with Steel-types and Mega Altaria without Earthquake would be a dead weight against Steel. You can see an alternative set down bellow provided by Eien .
EVs: 252 HP / 108 Def / 148 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Return
- Refresh
- Roost

Dragalge @ Black Sludge
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 228 HP / 252 SpA / 28 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
Draco Meteor
Sludge Wave
Hidden Power [Fire]
Toxic Spikes

Dragalge should be always considered when building a Dragon team, since it's the only Dragon-type which is neutral to Fairy (appart from Turtonator, which is not viable) due to its part Poison typing. It also has good special bulk that allows it to act as a pivot that can tank some hits and recover some HP with Black Sludge. Black Sludge is chosen over Dragon Fang since the team doesn't really need the extra power for mons like Hippowdon and Mega Sableye, which are threatened by Kyurem-B and Mega Altaria, respectively. Draco Meteor is Dragalge's STAB Poison-type move to hit everything that does not resist Dragon-type moves (mainly Fairy- and Steel-types) such as Zapdos and Cradily, as none of those would appreciate to take a 130 base power STAB Dragon-type move from 252 SpA Modest Dragalge. Sludge Wave is the STAB Poison-type move since it's the most powerful Poison-type move Dragalge has access to, which allows Dragalge to threaten Fairy- and Grass-types such as Tapu Koko and Tapu Bulu. Hidden Power Fire is coverage to hit Steel-types such as Mega Scizor and Ferrothorn, which would otherwise wall Dragalge. In the last slot we have Dragalge's most important move: Toxic Spikes. Toxic Spikes are very helpful against bulkier teams such as the famous Normal teams based around the Chansey+Porygon2 core as well as Fairy teams, and will ease Mega Altaria's sweep a lot wearing down those opposing walls. Both Dragalge's STAB moves are boosted by its ability, Adaptability, which makes it even more threatening to switch into its moves. 28 Speed EVs allow Dragalge to outspeed Hippowdon and severely weakening it, since otherwise Dragalge would be a dead weight against Ground. 252 Special Attack EVs along with a Modest nature allow Dragalge to hit as hard as possible. The rest of EVs are put into HP to maximize its bulk.

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 248 HP / 168 Def / 92 Spe
Impish Nature
Stealth Rock
Earthquake
Dragon Tail
Fire Blast

Garchomp is a staple in every Dragon team as it's the only viable Stealth Rock user that Dragon teams can have (Druddigon is not viable). Tankchomp is the most effective set to run as it provides not only Stealth Rock but a check for physical attackers such as Excadrill and Mega Scizor, wearing them down with residual damage due to the Rough Skin+Rocky Helmet combo (1/8 and 1/6 of max HP damage, respectively). Stealth Rock is the most important move since it wears down opposing foes to ease wallbreaker's job (Dragonite and Kyurem-B) as well as Mega Altaria's sweep. Garchomp's part Ground typing allows it to resist Rock-type moves aimed at Kyurem-B and Dragonite such as Stone Edge from Terrakion and Power Gem from Nihilego, which are both big threats for this team. Earthquake is Garchomp's STAB Ground-type move to hit Steel-, Fire-, Electric-, Poison- and Rock-types such as Heatran, Torkoal, Tapu Koko, Muk-Alola and Tyranitar. Dragon Tail is used to phaze opposing boosters such as Gyarados or Mega Pinsir, wearing down the opposing team if combined with Stealth Rock. Fire Blast is coverage mainly to hit non-grounded Steel-types such as Skarmory and Celesteela as well as Steel-types that are neutral to Earthquake such as Mega Scizor and Ferrothorn. Fire Blast is also the only way that Garchomp has to hit Tapu Bulu. 92 Speed EVs allow Garchomp to outspeed Jolly base 70's such as Bisharp and Breloom to be able to 1vs1 them. Garchomp is also faster than Azumarill, it's not OHKOed by +6 Aqua Jet and is able to KO it with Earthquake after it has used Belly Drum with the help of Rough Skin+Rocky Helmet if needed (calcs down below).
+6 252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Aqua Jet vs. 248 HP / 168+ Def Abomasnow: 253-298 (84 - 99%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 Atk Garchomp Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 162-192 (47.5 - 56.3%) -- 82.4% chance to 2HKO

Latios @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
Draco Meteor
Psychic
Defog
Trick

Latios is the source of speed control for the team, acting as an effective revenge killer thanks to its 110 base Speed. Another thing important to note is that since the team is running Mega Altaria, it can't have a bulky defogger in Mega Latias and it's forced to rely on Choice Scarf Latios to remove hazards. In conclusion Defog was a mandatory move for Latios to keep Mega Altaria's HP at full to ease its setup and keep Dragonite's Multiscale intact, while also preventing Kyurem-B from taking 25% damage every time it switches in. Latios' good Speed along with Choice Scarf allows it to outspeed threats like Mega Swampert (under rain), Choice Scarf Hydreigon, Choice Scarf Terrakion and Choice Scarf Nihilego. Draco Meteor is Latios' STAB Dragon-type attack and it's preferred over Dragon Pulse despite lowering Special Attack by 2 stages because it's more powerful and Latios' job is to act as a revenge killer. Draco Meteor deals a huge amount of damage to everything but Steel- and Fairy-types such as Celesteela and Azumarill. Psychic is the STAB Psychic move of choice over Psyshock because it almost ensures the OHKO on Choice Scarf Terrakion (see in the calcs) despite making it completely walled by Chansey. Psychic also provides a solid 2HKO on Choice Scarf Nihilego and it's not even 2HKOed by Power Gem or Hidden Power Ice (if there's no Stealth Rock damage and Nihilego isn't at +1), which is another big threat for the team as it has access to Power Gem and Hidden Power Ice. Defog is used to get rid of opposing entry hazards, specially Stealth Rock, for the reasons stated above. I opted for Trick in tha last slot to cripple walls that are not threatened by Draco Meteor and Psychic, such as Chansey and Celesteela. Latios is key against Fighting and Poison due to Psychic, cleaning both types after Cobalion has been weakened and Muk-Alola is gone, respectively. Latios is immune to Ground-type moves due to Levitate and resist Psychic-type moves, which makes it a good partner for Dragalge. Maximum Attack and Speed investment along with a Timid nature allows Latios to hit as hard as possible as well as outspeeding threats like Choice Scarf Terrakion and Choice Scarf Nihilego. Latios isn't OHKOed by +6 Aqua Jet from Azumarill even after Stealth Rock and can revenge kill it with Psychic once it has used Belly Drum (calcs down below).
252 SpA Latios Psychic vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Terrakion: 320-380 (99 - 117.6%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Latios Psychic vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Nihilego: 234-276 (65.1 - 76.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Nihilego Power Gem vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Latios: 118-141 (39.2 - 46.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
39.8 - 47.1%
252 SpA Nihilego Hidden Power Ice vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Latios: 120-142 (39.8 - 47.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
+6 252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Play Rough vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Latios: 1716-2022 (570 - 671.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Latios Psychic vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Azumarill: 177-208 (51.9 - 60.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Kyurem-Black @ Icium Z
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naughty Nature
Freeze Shock
Ice Beam
Fusion Bolt
Outrage

Kyurem-B is the mixed wallbreaker of the team due to its huge Attack and Special Attack, making very hard to switch into.Kyurem-B's part Ice typing makes it neutral to Ice-types moves, which is very valuable when we're talking about a Dragon team. Freeze Shock combined with Icium Z becomes a 200 base power one time nuke that can destroy Flying-, Grass- and Ground-types even if they are neutral to Ice-type moves such as Celesteela, Ferrothorn and Seismitoad (as you can see in the calcs down below). Ice Beam is Kyurem-B's secondary STAB Ice-type move so you don't lose the coverage once you have used Subzero Slammer, since Freeze Shock wastes 2 turns without Icium Z, to hit Flying-, Grass- and Ground-types more physically defensive oriented such as Mandibuzz, Mega Venusaur and Hippowdon. Fusion Bolt allows Kyurem-B to severely damage some of the common checks for Mega Altaria such as Skarmory and Celesteela, as well as improving the chances in the Water matchup hitting Toxapex and Mantine. Outrage is Kyurem-B's STAB Dragon-type move of choice that helps it pressure more balanced teams such as Normal and Poison (keep in mind that Kyurem-B has 170 base Attack). Teravolt is a very useful ability whose effect is nullifying abilities that hinder attacks, such as Mega Venusaur's Thick Fat and Lanturn's Volt Absorb. Maximum Attack investment along with a Lonely nature allow Kyurem-B to hit as hard as possible by the physical side, and maximun Speed investment allows it to outspeed base 80's such as Mamoswine and Gyarados.
252+ Atk Teravolt Kyurem-Black Subzero Slammer (200 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Celesteela: 426-502 (107 - 126.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Teravolt Kyurem-Black Subzero Slammer (200 BP) vs. 252 HP / 68+ Def Ferrothorn: 300-354 (85.2 - 100.5%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Teravolt Kyurem-Black Subzero Slammer (200 BP) vs. 80 HP / 0 Def Seismitoad: 556-655 (149.8 - 176.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Teravolt Kyurem-Black Subzero Slammer (200 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Excadrill: 658-775 (182.2 - 214.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Dragonite @ Multiscale
Adamant Nature
Outrage
Extreme Speed
Fire Punch
Superpower

Dragonite is one of those 'must have' mons in a Dragon team, in particular the Choice Band set because it gives the team a physical wallbreaker as well as a semi-revenge killer due to Extreme Speed. Dragonite can weaken some of the checks that it shares with Mega Altaria such as Skarmory, Ferrothorn and Porygon2. Outrage is Dragonite's STAB Dragon-type attack move of choice since it's the most powerful Dragon-type move it has access to, dealing a big amount of damage to bulky opposing foes that doesn't resist it such as Mega Venusaur, Mandibuzz and Rotom-W. Extreme Speed allows Dragonite to be a revenge killer as it's the most powerful priority existent, KOing threats like Choice Scarf Greninja, Mega Gallade and Mega Gardevoir after some chip damage. Fire Punch is coverage to hit Steel-types that otherwise would wall Dragonite such as Skarmory, Celesteela and Mega Scizor, which are some of the biggest issues for Mega Altaria. Superpower provides Fighting coverage to hit Steel-, Rock- and Normal-types such as Excadrill, Tyranitar and Chansey. Multiscale is a nice ability because it reduces damage by 50% if Dragonite is at full health, and it allows it to be an emergency check for Ice-, Fairy- and Rock-type moves. Maximum Attack and Speed investment along with an Adamant nature is used to maximize Dragonite's wallbreaking power and outspeed mons like Diggersby and Mega Heracross.

This team gave me a lot a fun while being very solid so i'm sure everyone who uses it will enjoy it a lot. With Magearna ban Dragon teams like this have rised in usage, something i really like because Dragon is one of my favourite types. Thanks for reading and feel free to use the team.

Ice teams are just too much for Dragon teams. Aurora Veil, Slush Rush and Ice Shard are 3 huge issues for Dragon teams, which can only run Kyurem-B as its Ice neutrality. Mamoswine in Ground teams and Cloyster in Water teams would mean your opponent has a significant advantage over you.

Mimikyu can easily get 2 KOs each time it faces this team because of the combination of Disguise, Sword Dance, Play Rough and Never Ending Nightmare. You can't even revenge kill it with Extreme Speed because its Ghost typing. Your only hope is exploiting Toxic Spikes and Tankchomp.

Choice Scarf Greninja usually carries Ice Beam turning it into a huge threat for a team with 5 mons weak to ice. You'll need Stealth Rock damage to revenge kill it with Extreme Speed from Dragonite.

Mega Scizor has respectable bulk, can boost its Attack with Sword Dance and learns Bullet Punch, which gives it Steel-type STAB priority. You should avoid giving a free boost to this if rocks are up or it'll run through all your team except Garchomp has enough health and hits Fire Blast.

This team has only mon that is not weak to Hypervoice, which is Dragalge, but Psyshock OHKOs it. This thing has an extremely high Special Attack and Fairy typing, which are enough reasons to be a threat for a Dragon team. The only way to kill this is with the combination of Psychic from Latios and Extreme Speed from Dragonite.

Mega Gallade has good Attack and decent Speed and Special Defense, as well as learning Ice Punch. It is faster than all the team except Latios, but this one won't be able to revenge kill it at full health. You'll need chip damage and Extreme Speed from Dragonite, or having Mega Altaria at full health.

Mega Diancie is the biggest threat for Dragon teams right now, with access to STAB Moonblast as well as Earth Power and Psychic to hit Dragalge. It's faster than everything in the team but Latios, which cannot OHKO it with Psychic, and can boost its Defense by 2 stages with Diamond Storm. In the case of Fairy-teams it has the support of Klefki's screens, which makes it even harder to get rid of it.

Sand Rush Excadrill is faster than every member of the team and equipped with a Choice Band can deal big damage to everything in the team. You only have Tankchomp to wear it down with residual damage but Garchomp would eventually faint, and Dragonite's Multiscale, but that would break with sand.

With access to Shell Smash and Ice Beam, Omastar can run through all the team if Kyurem-B has been weakened, something that is very likely against a Rock team.

Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Frustration
- Earthquake
- Roost

Dragalge @ Black Sludge
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Sludge Wave
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Toxic Spikes

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Dragon Tail
- Fire Blast

Latios @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psychic
- Defog
- Trick

Kyurem-Black @ Icium Z
Lonely Nature
- Freeze Shock
- Ice Beam
- Fusion Bolt
- Outrage

Dragonite @ Choice Band
Ability: Multiscale
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Extreme Speed
- Fire Punch
- Superpower

Moosical (torkool) for making the cool banner and headers, have always helped me
Zmeeed for being a nice dude and the guy i've seen to like more Dragon teams
stat1c are you there? lol
smub nice guy, always helping people with questions and beats me 9 times out of 10
Bondie for answering all my questions and helping me
terrors a player i admire and that has always helped me with teambuilding

Last edited:

maroon

free palestine
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Team Rateris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
RMT & Mono Leader
Hey GoldenTorkoal, nice team! Just have a few minor suggestions.

Hey guys, it's GoldenTorkoal again with a Dragon team. This is the team i used to win Challenge #17 with Dragon of Cycle 10 of the Monotype Core Laddering Challenge, peaking #10 in the ladder with 1697 as you can see down below (with my alt CCDr10 Golden). The challenge consisted in building a team with the core Mega Altaria+Dragalge and getting as high as possible in the ladder. This has been the team i've had more success with; in my opinion getting top 10 in the ladder is pretty good for a medium player like me. After my experience with the Dragon team built around Salamence ('Imperial') and with this team, all i can say about Dragon is that is one of the most fun types to use since i tend to like more offensive oriented team. Mega Altaria has become a staple for Dragon teams since its release for reasons i'll explain later so i was looking forward to using this thing with the added value of Dragon being one of my favourite types. I've enjoyed this team a lot and i wanted to share it here, and even see if it can be improved. Lets take a deep look at 'Valyria'.

I started with Mega Altaria and Dragalge since it was the core requested for the Monotype Core Laddering Challenge. Mega Altaria is a good Dragon Dance user with enough bulk to ensure set up in a lot of occasions that provides an immunity to Dragon-type moves for the team, and Dragalge eases Mega Altaria's job with the valuable Toxic Spikes, wearing down opposing foes to help Mega Altaria in getting KOes.

Next thing i added was Garchomp to provide Stealth Rock for the team, which is really important along with Toxic Spikes to help Mega Altaria to clean the opposing team. Garchomp also threatens the worst nightmares for Mega Altaria and Dragalge, Steel-types, with the combination of Earthquake and Fire Blast. It's also a check for physical attackers like Excadrill, wearing them down with the Rough Skin+Rocky Helmet combo.

Then Choice Scarf Latios was added as the team's form of speed control to revenge kill some threats like Terrakion or Nihilego with STAB Psychic, as Latios is the best Choice Scarf user for Dragon teams because of its base Speed. Latios also has access to Defog to prevent Mega Altaria from taking unnecessary damage and Dragonite's Multiscale from being broken.

Kyurem-B was added as the next member of the team to have a mixed wallbreaker which could break through some bulky walls like Ferrothorn, Celesteela and Chansey, or at least weakening them to ease Mega Altaria getting KOes. Kyurem-B is also the only member of the team neutral to Ice-type moves, which is important to note when you're talking about a Dragon team.

Choice Band Dragonite was chosen for the last slot to perform the physical wallbreaker role, helping in difficult matchups like Normal with Superpower and Outrage. Dragonite can weaken Steel-types with Fire Punch and Superpower, which as i've said above they're the main problem that Mega Altaria faces when trying to sweep. Dragonite also helps against offense with Choice Band boosted Extreme Speed, the most powerful priority that exists.

Jolly Nature
Dragon Dance
Frustration
Earthquake
Roost

Mega Altaria's good bulk (75/110/105) along with access to Dragon Dance makes it a very effective and powerful set up sweeper. Its part Fairy typing makes it immune to Dragon-type moves, which would otherwise allow threats like Choice Scarf Latios to destroy the team if played correctly. That Fairy-typing makes Mega Altaria the key in the mirror matchup, as it can proceed to set up once one of its teammates have been revenge killed by Draco Meteor users unless the opponent is running Choice Scarf Kyurem-B. It also eases a lot the Dark matchup because Dark teams doesn't have a solid answer for it despite Choice Scarf Greninja and Focus Sash Bisharp. After testing both Salamence and Mega Altaria, i conclude that despite having base 80 Speed stat and lacking the wallbreaking power of Devastating Drake, Mega Altaria is the better option for a Dragon team in terms of Dragon Dance user. Frustration is Mega Altaria's STAB Fairy-type move to hit Dragon-, Fighting- and Dark-types such as Kyurem-B, Mega Gallade and Mandibuzz, thanks to its ability: Pixilate. Frustration combined with 0 Happiness is run iver Return to prevent Ditto from copying the boosts and revenge kill it. Frustration hits really hard almost everything that doesn't resist it, that's to say everything except from Steel-, Poison- and Fire-types such as Skarmory, Toxapex and Torkoal. Earthquake is run as coverage to solve some of the problems addressed in the sentence before, hitting effectively grounded Steel-types such as Heatran and Magnezone, Poison-types such as Toxapex and Muk-Alola and Fire-types such as Torkoal and Victini. Roost is the move for the last slot to recover Mega Altaria's HP to extend its durability. Natural Cure is the ability chosen before becoming mega to have an emergency switch in to status moves such as Will-o-Wisp from Mega Sableye and Thunder Wave from Klefki. For the EV spread i decided to go with offensive Dragon Dance, with maximum Attack and Speed investment along with a Jolly nature to hit as hard as possible and outspeed threats such as Heatran and Mega Tyranitar. I opted for this investment over a bulkier one since i didn't have Hydreigon on the team to help with Steel-types and Mega Altaria without Earthquake would be a dead weight against Steel. You can see an alternative set down bellow provided by Eien .
EVs: 252 HP / 108 Def / 148 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Return
- Refresh
- Roost

Dragalge @ Black Sludge
Modest Nature
Draco Meteor
Sludge Wave
Hidden Power [Fire]
Toxic Spikes

Dragalge should be always considered when building a Dragon team, since it's the only Dragon-type which is neutral to Fairy (appart from Turtonator, which is not viable) due to its part Poison typing. It also has good special bulk that allows it to act as a pivot that can tank some hits and recover some HP with Black Sludge. Black Sludge is chosen over Dragon Fang since the team doesn't really need the extra power for mons like Hippowdon and Mega Sableye, which are threatened by Kyurem-B and Mega Altaria, respectively. Draco Meteor is Dragalge's STAB Poison-type move to hit everything that does not resist Dragon-type moves (mainly Fairy- and Steel-types) such as Zapdos and Cradily, as none of those would appreciate to take a 130 base power STAB Dragon-type move from 252 SpA Modest Dragalge. Sludge Wave is the STAB Poison-type move since it's the most powerful Poison-type move Dragalge has access to, which allows Dragalge to threaten Fairy- and Grass-types such as Tapu Koko and Tapu Bulu. Hidden Power Fire is coverage to hit Steel-types such as Mega Scizor and Ferrothorn, which would otherwise wall Dragalge. In the last slot we have Dragalge's most important move: Toxic Spikes. Toxic Spikes are very helpful against bulkier teams such as the famous Normal teams based around the Chansey+Porygon2 core as well as Fairy teams, and will ease Mega Altaria's sweep a lot wearing down those opposing walls. Both Dragalge's STAB moves are boosted by its ability, Adaptability, which makes it even more threatening to switch into its moves. 28 Speed EVs allow Dragalge to outspeed Hippowdon and severely weakening it, since otherwise Dragalge would be a dead weight against Ground. 252 Special Attack EVs along with a Modest nature allow Dragalge to hit as hard as possible. The rest of EVs are put into HP to maximize its bulk.

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Impish Nature
Stealth Rock
Earthquake
Dragon Tail
Fire Blast

Garchomp is a staple in every Dragon team as it's the only viable Stealth Rock user that Dragon teams can have (Druddigon is not viable). Tankchomp is the most effective set to run as it provides not only Stealth Rock but a check for physical attackers such as Excadrill and Mega Scizor, wearing them down with residual damage due to the Rough Skin+Rocky Helmet combo (1/8 and 1/6 of max HP damage, respectively). Stealth Rock is the most important move since it wears down opposing foes to ease wallbreaker's job (Dragonite and Kyurem-B) as well as Mega Altaria's sweep. Garchomp's part Ground typing allows it to resist Rock-type moves aimed at Kyurem-B and Dragonite such as Stone Edge from Terrakion and Power Gem from Nihilego, which are both big threats for this team. Earthquake is Garchomp's STAB Ground-type move to hit Steel-, Fire-, Electric-, Poison- and Rock-types such as Heatran, Torkoal, Tapu Koko, Muk-Alola and Tyranitar. Dragon Tail is used to phaze opposing boosters such as Gyarados or Mega Pinsir, wearing down the opposing team if combined with Stealth Rock. Fire Blast is coverage mainly to hit non-grounded Steel-types such as Skarmory and Celesteela as well as Steel-types that are neutral to Earthquake such as Mega Scizor and Ferrothorn. Fire Blast is also the only way that Garchomp has to hit Tapu Bulu. 92 Speed EVs allow Garchomp to outspeed Jolly base 70's such as Bisharp and Breloom to be able to 1vs1 them. Garchomp is also faster than Azumarill, it's not OHKOed by +6 Aqua Jet and is able to KO it with Earthquake after it has used Belly Drum with the help of Rough Skin+Rocky Helmet if needed (calcs down below).
+6 252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Aqua Jet vs. 248 HP / 168+ Def Abomasnow: 253-298 (84 - 99%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 Atk Garchomp Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 162-192 (47.5 - 56.3%) -- 82.4% chance to 2HKO

Latios @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
Draco Meteor
Psychic
Defog
Trick

Latios is the source of speed control for the team, acting as an effective revenge killer thanks to its 110 base Speed. Another thing important to note is that since the team is running Mega Altaria, it can't have a bulky defogger in Mega Latias and it's forced to rely on Choice Scarf Latios to remove hazards. In conclusion Defog was a mandatory move for Latios to keep Mega Altaria's HP at full to ease its setup and keep Dragonite's Multiscale intact, while also preventing Kyurem-B from taking 25% damage every time it switches in. Latios' good Speed along with Choice Scarf allows it to outspeed threats like Mega Swampert (under rain), Choice Scarf Hydreigon, Choice Scarf Terrakion and Choice Scarf Nihilego. Draco Meteor is Latios' STAB Dragon-type attack and it's preferred over Dragon Pulse despite lowering Special Attack by 2 stages because it's more powerful and Latios' job is to act as a revenge killer. Draco Meteor deals a huge amount of damage to everything but Steel- and Fairy-types such as Celesteela and Azumarill. Psychic is the STAB Psychic move of choice over Psyshock because it almost ensures the OHKO on Choice Scarf Terrakion (see in the calcs) despite making it completely walled by Chansey. Psychic also provides a solid 2HKO on Choice Scarf Nihilego and it's not even 2HKOed by Power Gem or Hidden Power Ice (if there's no Stealth Rock damage and Nihilego isn't at +1), which is another big threat for the team as it has access to Power Gem and Hidden Power Ice. Defog is used to get rid of opposing entry hazards, specially Stealth Rock, for the reasons stated above. I opted for Trick in tha last slot to cripple walls that are not threatened by Draco Meteor and Psychic, such as Chansey and Celesteela. Latios is key against Fighting and Poison due to Psychic, cleaning both types after Cobalion has been weakened and Muk-Alola is gone, respectively. Latios is immune to Ground-type moves due to Levitate and resist Psychic-type moves, which makes it a good partner for Dragalge. Maximum Attack and Speed investment along with a Timid nature allows Latios to hit as hard as possible as well as outspeeding threats like Choice Scarf Terrakion and Choice Scarf Nihilego. Latios isn't OHKOed by +6 Aqua Jet from Azumarill even after Stealth Rock and can revenge kill it with Psychic once it has used Belly Drum (calcs down below).
252 SpA Latios Psychic vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Terrakion: 320-380 (99 - 117.6%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Latios Psychic vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Nihilego: 234-276 (65.1 - 76.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Nihilego Power Gem vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Latios: 118-141 (39.2 - 46.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
39.8 - 47.1%
252 SpA Nihilego Hidden Power Ice vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Latios: 120-142 (39.8 - 47.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
+6 252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Play Rough vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Latios: 1716-2022 (570 - 671.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Latios Psychic vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Azumarill: 177-208 (51.9 - 60.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Kyurem-Black @ Icium Z
Naughty Nature
Freeze Shock
Ice Beam
Fusion Bolt
Outrage

Kyurem-B is the mixed wallbreaker of the team due to its huge Attack and Special Attack, making very hard to switch into.Kyurem-B's part Ice typing makes it neutral to Ice-types moves, which is very valuable when we're talking about a Dragon team. Freeze Shock combined with Icium Z becomes a 200 base power one time nuke that can destroy Flying-, Grass- and Ground-types even if they are neutral to Ice-type moves such as Celesteela, Ferrothorn and Seismitoad (as you can see in the calcs down below). Ice Beam is Kyurem-B's secondary STAB Ice-type move so you don't lose the coverage once you have used Subzero Slammer, since Freeze Shock wastes 2 turns without Icium Z, to hit Flying-, Grass- and Ground-types more physically defensive oriented such as Mandibuzz, Mega Venusaur and Hippowdon. Fusion Bolt allows Kyurem-B to severely damage some of the common checks for Mega Altaria such as Skarmory and Celesteela, as well as improving the chances in the Water matchup hitting Toxapex and Mantine. Outrage is Kyurem-B's STAB Dragon-type move of choice that helps it pressure more balanced teams such as Normal and Poison (keep in mind that Kyurem-B has 170 base Attack). Teravolt is a very useful ability whose effect is nullifying abilities that hinder attacks, such as Mega Venusaur's Thick Fat and Lanturn's Volt Absorb. Maximum Attack investment along with a Lonely nature allow Kyurem-B to hit as hard as possible by the physical side, and maximun Speed investment allows it to outspeed base 80's such as Mamoswine and Gyarados.
252+ Atk Teravolt Kyurem-Black Subzero Slammer (200 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Celesteela: 426-502 (107 - 126.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Teravolt Kyurem-Black Subzero Slammer (200 BP) vs. 252 HP / 68+ Def Ferrothorn: 300-354 (85.2 - 100.5%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Teravolt Kyurem-Black Subzero Slammer (200 BP) vs. 80 HP / 0 Def Seismitoad: 556-655 (149.8 - 176.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Teravolt Kyurem-Black Subzero Slammer (200 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Excadrill: 658-775 (182.2 - 214.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Dragonite @ Multiscale
Adamant Nature
Outrage
Extreme Speed
Fire Punch
Superpower

Dragonite is one of those 'must have' mons in a Dragon team, in particular the Choice Band set because it gives the team a physical wallbreaker as well as a semi-revenge killer due to Extreme Speed. Dragonite can weaken some of the checks that it shares with Mega Altaria such as Skarmory, Ferrothorn and Porygon2. Outrage is Dragonite's STAB Dragon-type attack move of choice since it's the most powerful Dragon-type move it has access to, dealing a big amount of damage to bulky opposing foes that doesn't resist it such as Mega Venusaur, Mandibuzz and Rotom-W. Extreme Speed allows Dragonite to be a revenge killer as it's the most powerful priority existent, KOing threats like Choice Scarf Greninja, Mega Gallade and Mega Gardevoir after some chip damage. Fire Punch is coverage to hit Steel-types that otherwise would wall Dragonite such as Skarmory, Celesteela and Mega Scizor, which are some of the biggest issues for Mega Altaria. Superpower provides Fighting coverage to hit Steel-, Rock- and Normal-types such as Excadrill, Tyranitar and Chansey. Multiscale is a nice ability because it reduces damage by 50% if Dragonite is at full health, and it allows it to be an emergency check for Ice-, Fairy- and Rock-type moves. Maximum Attack and Speed investment along with an Adamant nature is used to maximize Dragonite's wallbreaking power and outspeed mons like Diggersby and Mega Heracross.

This team gave me a lot a fun while being very solid so i'm sure everyone who uses it will enjoy it a lot. With Magearna ban Dragon teams like this have rised in usage, something i really like because Dragon is one of my favourite types. Thanks for reading and feel free to use the team.

Ice teams are just too much for Dragon teams. Aurora Veil, Slush Rush and Ice Shard are 3 huge issues for Dragon teams, which can only run Kyurem-B as its Ice neutrality. Mamoswine in Ground teams and Cloyster in Water teams would mean your opponent has a significant advantage over you.

Mimikyu can easily get 2 KOs each time it faces this team because of the combination of Disguise, Sword Dance, Play Rough and Never Ending Nightmare. You can't even revenge kill it with Extreme Speed because its Ghost typing. Your only hope is exploiting Toxic Spikes and Tankchomp.

Choice Scarf Greninja usually carries Ice Beam turning it into a huge threat for a team with 5 mons weak to ice. You'll need Stealth Rock damage to revenge kill it with Extreme Speed from Dragonite.

Mega Scizor has respectable bulk, can boost its Attack with Sword Dance and learns Bullet Punch, which gives it Steel-type STAB priority. You should avoid giving a free boost to this if rocks are up or it'll run through all your team except Garchomp has enough health and hits Fire Blast.

This team has only mon that is not weak to Hypervoice, which is Dragalge, but Psyshock OHKOs it. This thing has an extremely high Special Attack and Fairy typing, which are enough reasons to be a threat for a Dragon team. The only way to kill this is with the combination of Psychic from Latios and Extreme Speed from Dragonite.

Mega Gallade has good Attack and decent Speed and Special Defense, as well as learning Ice Punch. It is faster than all the team except Latios, but this one won't be able to revenge kill it at full health. You'll need chip damage and Extreme Speed from Dragonite, or having Mega Altaria at full health.

Mega Diancie is the biggest threat for Dragon teams right now, with access to STAB Moonblast as well as Earth Power and Psychic to hit Dragalge. It's faster than everything in the team but Latios, which cannot OHKO it with Psychic, and can boost its Defense by 2 stages with Diamond Storm. In the case of Fairy-teams it has the support of Klefki's screens, which makes it even harder to get rid of it.

Sand Rush Excadrill is faster than every member of the team and equipped with a Choice Band can deal big damage to everything in the team. You only have Tankchomp to wear it down with residual damage but Garchomp would eventually faint, and Dragonite's Multiscale, but that would break with sand.

With access to Shell Smash and Ice Beam, Omastar can run through all the team if Kyurem-B has been weakened, something that is very likely against a Rock team.

Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Frustration
- Earthquake
- Roost

Dragalge @ Black Sludge
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Sludge Wave
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Toxic Spikes

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Dragon Tail
- Fire Blast

Latios @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psychic
- Defog
- Trick

Kyurem-Black @ Icium Z
Lonely Nature
- Freeze Shock
- Ice Beam
- Fusion Bolt
- Outrage

Dragonite @ Choice Band
Ability: Multiscale
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Extreme Speed
- Fire Punch
- Superpower

Moosical (torkool) for making the cool banner and headers, have always helped me
Zmeeed for being a nice dude and the guy i've seen to like more Dragon teams
stat1c are you there? lol
smub nice guy, always helping people with questions and beats me 9 times out of 10
Bondie for answering all my questions and helping me
terrors a player i admire and that has always helped me with teambuilding
Kyurem Black: Naughty nature while powerful loses out on beating so much such as Mega Garchomp, Meloetta, unboosted Lando-T and Nidoking etc. Kyurem-Black should always run a +Speed in monotype.

Latios: Since you don't really have an effective check to Mega Diancie Latios can run HP Steel to deal with it. This would mean giving up on Trick however you somehwat already have enough ways to deal with Normal in Toxic Spikes Dragalge, Banded Superpower Dragonite and Icium Kyurem-Black. Psychic KOes with about 25% chip damage which really only Dragonite and Dragalge can do and Mega Diancie on both types has switch ins for those pokemon.

252 SpA Latios Hidden Power Steel vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Diancie-Mega: 272-320 (112.8 - 132.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Kyurem-Black @ Icium Z
Naive Nature
- Freeze Shock
- Ice Beam
- Fusion Bolt
- Outrage

Latios (M) @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psychic
- Hidden Power [Steel]
- Defog

Hope these small tweaks were helpful.

Last edited:
What are your thoughts on Facade on Altaria? I feel like Altaria tends to attract burns and Toxic, and there were a few occasions in your replays where I felt it might be helpful. I think the Defensive set is good in theory, but one very rarely has the time to set up to +2 and get rid of status AND heal yourself.

Awesome team man

What are your thoughts on Facade on Altaria? I feel like Altaria tends to attract burns and Toxic, and there were a few occasions in your replays where I felt it might be helpful. I think the Defensive set is good in theory, but one very rarely has the time to set up to +2 and get rid of status AND heal yourself.

Awesome team man
If he wanted to prevent status he would run bulky dd with heal bell/refresh

Hey GoldenTorkoal, nice team! Just have a few minor suggestions.

Kyurem Black: Naughty nature while powerful loses out on beating so much such as Mega Garchomp, Meloetta, unboosted Lando-T and Nidoking etc. Kyurem-Black should always run a +Speed in monotype.

Latios: Since you don't really have an effective check to Mega Diancie Latios can run HP Steel to deal with it. This would mean giving up on Trick however you somehwat already have enough ways to deal with Normal in Toxic Spikes Dragalge, Banded Superpower Dragonite and Icium Kyurem-Black. Psychic KOes with about 25% chip damage which really only Dragonite and Dragalge can do and Mega Diancie on both types has switch ins for those pokemon.

252 SpA Latios Hidden Power Steel vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Diancie-Mega: 272-320 (112.8 - 132.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Kyurem-Black @ Icium Z
Naive Nature
- Freeze Shock
- Ice Beam
- Fusion Bolt
- Outrage

Latios (M) @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psychic
- Hidden Power [Steel]
- Defog

Hope these small tweaks were helpful.
Thanks for the rate! Both changes make a lot of sense, it's not worthy to have a Kyurem-B that can be outsped by pokemon like Nidoking, Landorus-T and Meloetta, as you've said. Getting rid of Trick is also smart to have some room for Hidden Power Steel to revenge kill Mega Diancie, and i have to say that sometimes you can't use Trick against Normal because you may get beaten by Mega Lopunny if you lose the Choice Scarf in Latios. I'm sure both changes will make the team even better, thanks for the suggestions.

Awesome team man
Well i guess Facade may have a niche in Mega Altaria since it's obvious that set up sweepers tend to attract status to stop its sweep. But in my opinion Frustration is more useful most of the time, as Mega Altaria won't be statused in most matchups and you'll need it to hit as hard as possible. So you can't rely on getting burned, poisoned or paralyzed, to start sweeping. Let's see the matchups i can think of which have mons to status Mega Altaria:
  • Dark: Mega Sableye has access to Will-o-Wisp and Mandibuzz can run Toxic, but Mega Altaria doesn't need to set up in front of those 2. It can just wait till Hydreigon comes in and revenge kills some of Mega Altaria's teammates, as Hydreigon doesn't carry any move that hits Mega Altaria decently. Choice Scarf Greninja with Gunk Shot is the only way that Dark has to beat Mega Altaria. In conclusion Mega Altaria isn't likely to get statused against Dark.
  • Electric: Electric has Rotom-W which can use Will-o-Wisp to cripple Mega Altaria's Attack. The problem for Electric is that Mega Altaria can get several Dragon Dance boosts in front of Rotom-W, since Volt Switch and Hydropump don't hit effectively Mega Altaria. Electric has a lot of problems to deal with Dragon teams, so having Facade in Mega Altaria doesn't really improve Dragon's chances.
  • Fairy: Klefki runs Thunder Wave, which halves Mega Altaria's Speed and you won't be able to get advantage of running Facade because Fairy teams have mons like Tapu Koko or Mega Diancie who can easily revenge kill it.
  • Fighting: Cobalion has Thunder Wave, but you won't stay with Mega Altaria in front of a mon that runs STAB Iron Head unless you're at +2. In conclusion Facade won't improve chances of winning against Fighting.
  • Ice: Avalugg can run Toxic, but Mega Altaria won't be able to set up in this matchup for obvious reasons. Again, Facade won't improve this matchup for Dragon.
  • Grass: Grass can have Cradily with Toxic, but Mega Altaria can't break through Mega Venusaur and Ferrothorn, meaning that your opponent will always go with one of those 2 when seeing Mega Altaria. For those reasons Mega Altaria is very unlikely to get poisoned by Cradily.
Anyway, thanks for the rate and the suggestion!

I'm happy to announce that this team has been nominated for RMT of the Week, which is a big honour for me as there are many good teams posted in this forum! Thanks to all the people that has used the team, even the ones that had clicked to read this RMT just to have a look at it.

I think the RMT of the Week is a very interesting initiative from the Rate My Team staff so i want as many people as possible knowing about its existence. The RMT of the Week is a voting process where you can vote the team you like the most among the nominated ones. Here's the link where you can have a look at the rest of the teams that have been nominated http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/rmt-of-the-week-v6-week-35.3614637/

Congrats man, cool team. Enjoyed watching the battles. I gotta make one of these for my psychic team. Anyways may I steal the team and also have you thought about Naive nature KB. Imo it's a helpful speed tier expecially when it outspeeds mons like Lando, Excadrill and those mons in the 80- 94 base speed range. I'm on phone so I can't think of more threats in that speed range.

Congrats man, cool team. Enjoyed watching the battles. I gotta make one of these for my psychic team. Anyways may I steal the team and also have you thought about Naive nature KB. Imo it's a helpful speed tier expecially when it outspeeds mons like Lando, Excadrill and those mons in the 80- 94 base speed range. I'm on phone so I can't think of more threats in that speed range.
Thank you man! Yeah, Kyurem-B definetely needs a positive Speed nature, as one of the comments before said. Thank you for the suggestion and i recommend you to write that RMT about your Psychic team ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)