Vanillite (Analysis)

Timid should be the main option on Choice Scarf Vanillite. It needs the extra speed.

Rapid Spin support needs to be mentioned on all sets just because it really can't function without it.

Frost Breath deserves an AC mention at the very least, since it hits with constant power boosts no matter what and has good accuracy even outside of Hail.

A special wall deserves its own set, if just an AC mention, consisting of 168 HP / 64 Def / 76 SpAtk / 200 SpDef (or at least something along those lines, maybe more speed), along with Ice Beam / Taunt / Ice Beam / Toxic or Acid Armor, and holding an Oran Berry. After +2 defense it would have 22 / 24 / 16 defenses. It actually works fairly well.

Timid should be the main option on Choice Scarf Vanillite. It needs the extra speed.

Rapid Spin support needs to be mentioned on all sets just because it really can't function without it.

Frost Breath deserves an AC mention at the very least, since it hits with constant power boosts no matter what and has good accuracy even outside of Hail.

A special wall deserves its own set, if just an AC mention, consisting of 168 HP / 64 Def / 76 SpAtk / 200 SpDef (or at least something along those lines, maybe more speed), along with Ice Beam / Taunt / Ice Beam / Toxic or Acid Armor, and holding an Oran Berry. After +2 defense it would have 22 / 24 / 16 defenses. It actually works fairly well.
Ok. But the special wall set isn't great since a lot of people recommended me not the put one up. (I had one before but it was rejected.)

Diana

This isn't even my final form
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I'd mention any walling moves in Other Options myself. No way an Ice-type that needs to boost is being good defensively with all the Fighting-types though.

-Focus Sash is an item alternative but it could be countered with Toxic and Sandstorm
or SR.

Icy Wind isn't THAT good, it's a gimmick. Put it in OO.

And again, put all the cool moves on the wall set in OO, ie Eviolite, Acid Armor, Light Screen, Mirror Coat, and Toxic into OO.

Once that's done,

[QC 1/2]

GOD DAMN I'm gone for a day and a half and there's all this stuff.

Sorry I need to bump this again. I need to finish this analysis before I leave to vacation. I need 1 more QC check so I can write this up. Thank you.

Your format is uncomfortably incorrect. The abbreviates are HP, Atk, Def, SpA, SpD, and Spe for HP, Attack, Defense, Special Attack, Special Defense, and Speed, respectively. You can't put the Hidden Power IVs into the IVs section like you did. You don't need to specify the IVs for both Hidden Powers. Also, the general convention is not to add IVs for Hidden Powers. If you do, they should look like the EVs do (ex. 30 SpA). If an IV is 31, you don't need to mention it.

That is all. Good luck with your analysis.

Diana

-Charmander- I think he needs to put the IVs for Hidden Power Fighting on the Life Orb set because he's both using Hidden Power and lowering HP to 19.

Here this is what you can do, just copy/paste the first set here where the set is.

[SET]
name: Special Sweeper
move 1: Autotomize
move 2: Ice Beam / Blizzard
move 3: Hidden Power Fighting / Hidden Power Electric
move 4: Substitute / Taunt
item: Life Orb
ability: Ice Body
nature: Modest
evs: 236 SpA / 244 Spe
ivs: 27 HP / 30 Def / 30 SpA / 30 SpD / 30 Spe

Also make sure to mention in Additional Comments the IVs of 27 HP / 30 SpA if you use Hidden Power Electric. I think with the format I posted you should be able to figure out how to display the other sets yourself, but don't add the ivs section to those because you're using a standard Hidden Power.

Diana

Okay so I played some matches with Vanillite and had some mixed results.

Honestly, I think the Choice Scarf set should go first. It was much better because Vanillite needs a miracle to set up. It actually can revenge Gligar too which is really cool.

When you mention how Water Pulse hits Fire-types on the Scarf set, mention Houndour instead of the rare Charmander.

I like Hidden Power Grass on the Scarf set, hits most Water-types with one shot and Ice Beam does similar damage to Ferroseed. I'd slash it as Hidden Power Grass / Hidden Power Fighting.

change EV's on the first set to 240 SpA / 248 Spe

Remove mention of Taunt preventing sandstorms in Set Comments for the Autotomize set, Hippopotas just does that by switching in, not like it would ever come in on Vanillite anyway

Baltoy is a teammate for Rapid Spin, not for resisting Vanillite's own attacks.

Take out that Sandstorm counters Vanillite without Taunt, Taunt has nothing to do with it.

Meditite, Scraggy, Mienfoo... Any bulky Fighting-type can take a hit and KO it, those are checks.

Once you fix that...

QC 2/2

Updated. Thanks for the QC checks I've been waiting for 3 weeks to get this checked. I decided to write up all my analysis after vacation since I'll only be gone for about 3-5 days. Then after that is GP checks. Sigh...

Deletions
Additions / Corrections
Comments

[Overview]

<p>Vanillite, the sweet little snow cone that makes us want to eat it up. However, this pokemon should not be taken lightly. With its staggering Special Attack it can annihilate any pokemon weak to it. Aside from its high Special Attack there are some drawbacks to Vanillite such as low Speed and weak Defenses that makes it unpopular in the Little Cup metagame. Meet Vanillite, the wee little snow cone. Appearances can be deceptive though, as it can dish out quite some hurt with its high Special Attack and great special movepool. Sadly, that is pretty much all that Vanillite has going for it, as its poor Speed and relatively low defenses make it easy to KO. Vanillite also finds itself outclassed most of the time by faster and more powerful threats such as Misdreavus and Carvanha. Still, Vanillite packs a punch, and should always be considered when building a team.</p>

[Set]
name: Choice Scarf
move 1: Ice Beam / Blizzard
move 2: Flash Cannon
move 3: Water Pulse
move 4: Hidden Power Grass / Hidden Power Fighting
item: Choice Scarf
evs: 72 HP / 36 Def / 160 SpA / 120 SpD / 88 Spe

[Set Comments]

<p>Ice beam is the primary move that Vanillite should use because it provides STAB and perfect accuracy. With another option, Blizzard, that has greater power but the low accuracy, with the exception of Hail, could become a gamble between a loss or a win. Flash Cannon will damage any incoming Rock-types that can be a threat to Vanillite while Water Pulse is recommended for damaging Fire-types such as Houndour instead of Rock-types since Flash Cannon has a base power of 80 compared to Water Pulse with a base power of 60. Furthermore, Hidden Power Grass will bewilder most Water-types, such as Carvanha, that thinks it can take on Vanillite. On the other hand, Hidden Power Fighting provides coverage against common Steel-types such as Ferroseed. Vanillite's decent Speed, high Special Attack, and large special movepool makes it a fine Choice Scarf user. Ice Beam is Vanillite's most reliable STAB attack, hitting anything that doesn't resist it pretty hard. Blizzard can be used on hail teams and is very powerful, but its inaccuracy makes it a poor choice. Flash Cannon smashes Rock-types to bits, and also hurts opposing Ice-types significantly. Water Pulse deals with Fire-types such as Houndour who pose a massive threat to Vanillite, making it harder for the mentioned threats to switch in safely. There are two options for the last moveslot. While Hidden Power Grass hits Water-types who sponge Vanillite's other moves easily, Hidden Power Fighting allows it to deal with Steel-types such as Ferroseed.</p>

[Additional Comments]

<p>The EV spread maximizes Vanillite's Special Attack while adding some buff in Defense and Special Defense in addition of increasing its Speed to outspeed most pokemon also buffing up its defenses and allowing it to outspeed most unboosted Pokemon. This set also needs some team support to make any impact. Wooper, Staryu, and Carvanha pose problems if Vanillite lacks Hidden Power Grass, meaning a Grass-type such as Snover makes a great teammate. Snover also sets up hail, allowing Vanillite to fire off accurate Blizzards and activating Ice Body. Chinchou can also deal with Water-types easily, making it a fine partner as well. A Rapid Spin user such as Baltoy also aids Vanillite immensely, removing Stealth Rock while also dealing with Fighting-types such as Timburr. Furthermore, Choice Scarf will significantly increase Vanillite's speed that allows it to sweep but restricting Vanillite to only one move. The nature, Modest, gives a boost in Vanillite's Special Attack allowing it to heavily damage Gligar. Wooper, Staryu, Carvanha can be problem to Vanillite if its not locked to Hidden Power Grass thus resulting Snover as a teammate because it can activate Vanillite's ability, Ice Body, and can easily extinguish common Water-types. Surskit resist all of the moves in this set and can be a problem for Snover allowing it to check Vanillite nicely which also makes Chinchou a good teammate in damaging Water-types with the exception of Wooper. Timburr can revenge kill Vanillite with Mach Punch resulting Mach Punch as a serious threat.</p>

[SET]
name: Special Sweeper Autotomize
move 3: Hidden Power Grass / Hidden Power Fighting
evs: 240 SpA / 248 Spe

[Set Comments]

<p>This set will allow Vanillite to sweep once its done setting up. First, Autotomize will sharply increase Vanillite's speed thus proceeding to sweep afterwards. This move should be used first at the beginning of combat. Next, Ice Beam or Blizzard provides STAB and can eradicate any pokemon weak to it such as Dratini or the famous Gligar. Again, Hidden Power Grass provides coverage against Water-types such as Carvanha or Chinchou while the easily predicted Hidden Power Fighting provides coverage against the uncommon Steel-types such as Ferroseed. Substitute can protect Vanillite from incoming revenge killers like Timburr while Taunt will stop any hazards or weather changes that can continously damage Vanillite the longer it stays in battle. Vanillite can also run a boosting set to decent success. Autotomize doubles Vanillite's Speed, allowing it to sweep after just a single turn of setup. Ice Beam and Blizzard are both options for a STAB move. While the former is much more reliable and makes for the better choice overall, Blizzard has a much higher Base Power and is accurate in hail, though support from Snover is mandatory for it to be usable. The choice of Hidden Power depends on what threats bother Vanillite more. Hidden Power Grass decimates any Water-types switching in to sponge Ice Beam, and also smacks most Rock-types hard, while Hidden Power Fighting deals with the pesky Steel-types who laugh at Vanillite's other moves. There are two options for the final moveslot. Substitute prevents Vanillite's sweep from being cut short by status conditions and also grants it an easier setup, making it the better option most of the time. However, Taunt renders attempts to phaze Vanillite useless, and also stops entry hazards from being set up.</p>

[Additional Comments]

<p>The EV spread shown above maximizes Vanillite's Special Attack and Speed thus allowing it sweep fast. In addtion, the IV spread provided will decrease the recoil of the Life Orb and still give you Hidden Power Fighting unless Hidden Power Grass is desired then the following IVs should be used: 27 HP / 30 Atk / 30 SpA. Furthermore, the Modest nature increases Vanillite's Special Attack adding more power to its moves. Again, Snover is a good teammate for Vanillite because it utilizes its ability, Ice Body. Another recommended teammate for Vanillite is Baltoy because it can use Rapid Spin ot clear away any dangerous entry hazards such as Stealth Rock. On the other hand, pokemons with priority moves can be a threat to Vanillite. These pokemons are Mienfoo, Timburr, Carvanha, Diglett, etc The EV spread is very simple, maximizing Vanillite's Special Attack and Speed. 27 HP IVs give Vanillite 19 HP, minimizing Life Orb recoil. If Hidden Power Grass is used, however, an IV spread of 27 HP / 30 Atk / 30 SpA should be used. Snover once again makes a fine teammate for Vanillite, eliminating Grass-types and setting up hail. Baltoy is also a fine partner, removing entry hazards with Rapid Spin and dealing with Fighting-type priority users such as Timburr and Croagunk.</p>

[Other Options]
<p>There are many options for Vanillite and one of them is run a Choice Specs set but due to Vanillite's low speed this is not recommended. Another one is to learn Vanillite the move, Explosion, which will break through special walls such as Munchlax or Mantyke. However, Explosion is a physical move and Vanillite is meant for a special attacker not a physical attacker. Focus Sash could also be an item alternative for the second set but due to weather changes and entry hazards it can break this. Ice Beam or Blizzard can be replaced for Ice Shard for priority but, again, Ice Shard is a physical move. Lastly, Vanillite can successfully run a walling set with moves such as Acid Armor, Light Screen, Toxic, and Protect with the item, Eviolite Explosion can be used to break through special walls such as Munchlax and Mantyke, but the nerf which Explosion received in BW, as well as Vanillite's low Attack, make it a poor choice. Ice Shard can give Vanillite a useful priority move, but as mentioned, Vanillite's Attack stat is unimpressive. Vanillite can also run a Choice Specs set thanks to its high Special Attack and great special movepool, but its poor Speed makes it easy to revenge kill Vanillite. Focus Sash can go over Life Orb on the Autotomize set to prevent priority attacks such as Mach Punch from ruining Vanillite's fun, but the ubiquity of entry hazards and weather render it useless more often than not. Finally, Vanillite also has access to support options such as Reflect, Light Screen, Toxic, Acid Armor, and Protect, and can run a decent defensive set with an Eviolite, but it is better off just attacking.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Status problems such as Toxic or Burn status can slowly defeat Vanillite which can be a problem. Another one is that any pokemon that outspeeds Vanillite has a chance on eliminating it due to Vanillite's inumerable amount of weaknesses. Priority moves is a common threat to Vanillite since it always attack first even with Autotomize or Choice Scarf. In addition, Munchlax can absorb Hidden Power Fighting and attack it back with the deadly Return. Slowpoke, Tentacool, and Surskit are all bulky Water-types that can revenge kill Vanillite. Fighting-types such as Mienfoo, Scraggy, and Timburr should be played cautiously since they are the biggest threat that Vanillite can have Vanillite's low Speed and weaknesses to common Fire- and Fighting-type are the bane of its existence. Powerful priority users such as Meditite and Timburr make reliable checks to Vanillite regardless of how many Speed boosts it has obtained. Special walls such as Munchlax can take all of Vanillite's attacks with ease and hit back hard with their STAB attacks. Bronzor makes a fine checks as well, as it sponges all of Vanillite's attacks while dishing out massive damage with Gyro Ball. If Vanillite lacks Hidden Power Grass, bulky Water-types such as Slowpoke and Tentacool can wall Vanillite with ease. Finally, Fighting-types such as Mienfoo, Meditite, and Timburr smash Vanillite to bits with their STAB attacks while not taking too much damage from Ice Beam.</p>

The prose wasn't too good, so I just re-wrote the whole thing. Read some more on-site analyses, compare your sentences with mine, look at some other proofreads, and I am sure you will soon improve.

GP 1 / 2

The prose wasn't too good, so I just re-wrote the whole thing. Read some more on-site analyses, compare your sentences with mine, look at some other proofreads, and I am sure you will soon improve.

Sorry about that. This is my first analysis so please pardon me. =/ I'm pretty sure I'll improve. Thanks anyways. Your the best.

cosmicexplorer

pewpewpew
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
remove
add

[Overview]

<p>Meet Vanillite, the wee little snow cone. Appearances can be deceptive though, as it can dish out quite some hurt with its high Special Attack and great special movepool. Sadly, that is pretty much all that Vanillite has going for it, as its poor Speed and relatively low defenses make it easy to KO. Vanillite also finds itself outclassed most of the time by faster and more powerful threats such as Misdreavus and Carvanha. Still, Vanillite packs a punch, and should always be considered when building a team.</p>

[Set]
name: Choice Scarf
move 1: Ice Beam / Blizzard
move 2: Flash Cannon
move 3: Water Pulse
move 4: Hidden Power Grass / Hidden Power Fighting
item: Choice Scarf
evs: 72 HP / 36 Def / 160 SpA / 120 SpD / 88 Spe

[Set Comments]

<p>Vanillite's decent Speed, high Special Attack, and large special movepool makes it a fine Choice Scarf user. Ice Beam is Vanillite's most reliable STAB attack, hitting anything that doesn't resist it pretty hard. Blizzard can be used on hail teams and is very powerful, but its inlow accuracy makes it a poor choice. Flash Cannon smashes Rock-types to bits, and also hurts opposing Ice-types significantly. Water Pulse deals with Fire-types such as Houndour who pose a massive threat to Vanillite, making it harder for the mentioned threats to switch in safely. There are two options for the last moveslot. While Hidden Power Grass hits Water-types who sponge Vanillite's other moves easily, Hidden Power Fighting allows it to deal with Steel-types such as Ferroseed.</p>

[Additional Comments]

<p>The EV spread maximizes Vanillite's Special Attack while also buffing up its defenses and allowing it to outspeed most unboosted Pokemon. This set also needs some team support to make any impact. Wooper, Staryu, and Carvanha pose problems if Vanillite lacks Hidden Power Grass, meaning a Grass-type such as Snover makes a great teammate. Snover also sets up hail, allowing Vanillite to fire off accurate Blizzards and activating Ice Body. Chinchou can also deal with Water-types easily, making it a fine partner as well. A Rapid Spin user such as Baltoy also aids Vanillite immensely, removing Stealth Rock while also dealing with Fighting-types such as Timburr.</p>

[SET]
name: Autotomize
move 3: Hidden Power Grass / Hidden Power Fighting
evs: 240 SpA / 248 Spe

[Set Comments]

<p>Vanillite can also run a boosting set to decent success. Autotomize doubles Vanillite's Speed, allowing it to sweep after just a single turn of setup. Ice Beam and Blizzard are both options for a STAB move. While the former is much more reliable and makes for the better choice overall, Blizzard has a much higher Base Power and is accurate in hail, though support from Snover is mandatory for it to be usable. The choice of Hidden Power depends on what threats bother Vanillite more. Hidden Power Grass decimates any Water-types switching in to sponge Ice Beam, and also smacks most Rock-types hard, while Hidden Power Fighting deals with the pesky Steel-types who laugh at Vanillite's other moves. There are two options for the final moveslot. Substitute prevents Vanillite's sweep from being cut short by status conditions and also grants it an easier setup, making it the better option most of the time. However, Taunt renders attempts to phaze Vanillite useless, and also stops entry hazards from being set up.</p>

[Additional Comments]

<p>The EV spread is very simple, maximizing Vanillite's Special Attack and Speed. 27 HP IVs give Vanillite 19 HP, minimizing Life Orb recoil. If Hidden Power Grass is used, however, an IV spread of 27 HP / 30 Atk / 30 SpA should be used. Snover once again makes a fine teammate for Vanillite, eliminating Grass-types and setting up hail. Baltoy is also a fine partner, removing entry hazards with Rapid Spin and dealing with Fighting-type priority users such as Timburr and Croagunk.</p>

[Other Options]
<p>Explosion can be used to break through special walls such as Munchlax and Mantyke, but the nerf which Explosion received in BW, as well ascoupled with Vanillite's low Attack, make it a poor choice. Ice Shard can give Vanillite a useful priority move, but as mentioned, Vanillite's Attack stat is unimpressive. Vanillite can also run a Choice Specs set thanks to its high Special Attack and great special movepool, but its poor Speed makes it easy to revenge kill Vanillite. Focus Sash can go over Life Orb on the Autotomize set to prevent priority attacks such as Mach Punch from ruining Vanillite's fun, but the ubiquity of entry hazards and weather render it useless more often than not. Finally, Vanillite also has access to support options such as Reflect, Light Screen, Toxic, Acid Armor, and Protect, and can run a decent defensive set with an Eviolite, but it is better off just attacking.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Vanillite's low Speed and weaknesses to common Fire- and Fighting-type are the bane of its existencettacks make many common Pokemon a good check. Powerful priority users such as Meditite and Timburr make reliable checks to Vanillite regardless of how many Speed boosts it has obtained. Special walls such as Munchlax can take all of Vanillite's attacks with ease and hit back hard with their STAB attacks. Bronzor makes a fine checks as well, as it sponges all of Vanillite's attacks while dishing out massive damage with Gyro Ball. If Vanillite lacks Hidden Power Grass, bulky Water-types such as Slowpoke and Tentacool can wall Vanillite with ease. Finally, Fighting-types such as Mienfoo, Meditite, and Timburr smash Vanillite to bits with their STAB attacks while not taking too much damage from Ice Beam.</p>

Excellent job CP.

GP 2/2

Updated. Thank you Calm Pokemaster and Cosmic for the GP checks.

My first analysis is done. Thank you for those who helped. Espicially, Diana. =)

remember to capitalize [SET], [SET COMMENTS], and [ADDITIONAL COMMENTS] consistently throughout the whole analysis.

macle

sup geodudes
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
mention a mon to lure out lax so you can get rid of him before you start to try to sweep?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)