1. Welcome to Smeargle's Studio! Please be sure to review the studio rules.
  2. Want real-time art feedback? Want to meet YILX FIRST PLACE ARTIST? Come chat with us in the studio's IRC channel! Log onto #smeargle on SynIRC, or click this link to visit us via mibbit!
  3. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  4. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Various Wyverii Works

Discussion in 'Smeargle's Studio' started by Wyverii, Jan 1, 2012.

1. Wyverii

Wyverii "What I cannot create, I do not understand."
    is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus

Most recent:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Man, been a while since I had an art thread and now that I'm going into other types of digital work I'm not longer a one trick pony with regards to MS paint and pixel art. Won't keep much in the OP this time but feel free to request pictures and if I like the idea I'll probably do them.

I only recently got into doing other digital work during CAP 2 in the art design section. I designed a little forest sprite for our Grass/Ghost Sketch-mon and originally went my usual lazy route of doing an ms paint piece:

MS paint Forest Sprite (open)

[​IMG]

Afterwards I found a good art program that worked well for me and ended up turning my work from above to this:

Full digital Forest Sprite (open)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

These are pretty much my first attempts at anything other than pixel art within the digital world so there's probably a lot of mistakes in them, but I've fallen in love with the crispness of the lines I can make and could probably do lineart all day long. What I really need to work on is colour.

Anyway onto recent works!

[​IMG]
    Not going to stop doing pixel work of course! My final sub for CAP 2's sprite, based on Yilx's winning design. Going for an authentic generation 5 sprite feel (specifically gen 5 'mons, the sprites differ slightly in style from even the updated previous gen 'mons). Neutral pose for animation purposes and bold shading.

[​IMG]
    I adore the Larvesta line so goddamn much. Gen 5 was really good to bugs this time around with lots of great designs. First shot at a bold colouring style and I'm liking it so far. I feel this sort of work is more 'me' than the other ones I've done.
  2. Lady Salamence

Lady Salamence
    is a Smogon Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

I hereby claim the first Luvdisc of this thread full of amazing art!
  3. RitterCat

RitterCat
    is an Artistis a Forum Moderatoris a Contributor Alumnus

Wow your pixel art is amazing but your digital art is just as good! I absolutely adore that Larvesta!
    So, with requests, how do you feel about the idea of a cute Purugly?
  4. Danmire

Danmire Ain't no mountain high enough
    is an Artist Alumnus

Goddamn, that is a very nice Larvesta. He looks much less like a scary bug now xD.
  5. BattleStar

BattleStar

Sound like a pre-broken record. But the largesta IMO is the best. However I really like the CAP Sprite. Keep up the good work :)
  6. Omicron

Omicron
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

OMG

you already did my request in the form of Larvesta

OMG
  7. sirndpt

sirndpt
    is an Artist Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Larvesta really is fantastic - may I ask which program you did it (and the second forest sprite) on?
  8. Wyverii

I use Inkscape for lineart and GIMP for colouring and misc alterations. I really need something better than GIMP but hey, it's free! I'm not complaining. I cannot praise Inkscape enough for being an excellent vector program however. It works extremely well with my mentality and it's easily doable with a mouse to boot!
  9. jumpluff

jumpluff princess
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Site Staff Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

That Larvesta is adorable. You're incredible, Wyv! I always knew you were a good spriter but didn't know you were so damn good at other aspects of digital art :) /luvdisc
  10. ssbbm

ssbbm

hey you should post some of your traditional art too i loved your bird sketches :P
  11. Bummer

Bummer .etiuq ooT
    is an Artistis a Super Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributor
    Art Co-Leader

This was done through vectors and MSPaint? Nice.

Do you use photos/scanned sketches as foundation for your lineart, or do you make some rough lineart in your program of choice?
  12. Furosuto

Furosuto

That Larvesta is too darn cute! How long have you been doing digital art? Cause yours is way better than mine, with the shading and all that.
  13. Wyverii

I've only just started doing non-pixel work very recently. I'm pretty new to it and learning a lot. It's pretty overwhelming actually.

Oh god no. The only thing I did for that in MS paint was the foundation sketch. You really can't get such a nice quality of line in that program at all. Look to my post above for the programs I use. That said I do most of my sketches in MS paint actually. I'm too lazy to get the scanner working and I'm pretty good at doodling with the mouse now. Quality of sketch doesn't matter much to me so long as the proportions are good.

Throwing this out to RitterCat:
    [​IMG]

I didn't spend a whole load of time on it so sorry if it's not up to par or anything. I know a cat that does this on my knee and makes that particular lazy meow (myaaaaaaaaa). Always found that kitty adorable and thought it was kinda fitting for Purugly here.
  14. sandshrewz

sandshrewz
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Omg. Furry Pokemon :DDDDD

so cute! xD gosh

and what? You're drawing with a mouse?? o.o
  15. Yilx

Yilx Sad
    is an Artistis a Smogon IRC AOP

Good god Wyverii that Larvesta and Purugly are downright adorable
  16. Wyverii

[​IMG]

Quick try of a Litwick. Still getting used to programs and trying all sorts of styles and such. I think I could do better but goddamn if I know how. Ah well.
  17. Birkal

Birkal We have the technology.
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Battle Server Administratoris an Artistis a Super Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributor
    CAP Head Mod

Looks hot, Wyv. Love your stuff!
  18. RitterCat

RitterCat
    is an Artistis a Forum Moderatoris a Contributor Alumnus

MY GOD I AM IN HEAVEN THAT PURUGLY IS SOOO CUTE :3
    Can I have it in avatar size Wyverii? thanks :)
  19. Furosuto

Furosuto

Having favourite pokemon comes to me as this. They need to look aweseome. So a lot of artists old or new have convinced me to love a certain pokemon. And you did that with larvesta! I love it!
  20. Sayonara

Sayonara don't forget

Hey, this is very neat! Your art is amazing. Well done!
  21. Danmire

Danmire Ain't no mountain high enough
    is an Artist Alumnus

Love that Purugly. May I request a Drowzee with a bowler hat?
  22. Tenodera

Tenodera

I always looked forward to seeing your CAP submissions, and it's great you've got a fancy new thread! :D
    Litwick looks maaad.
  23. Xaqwais

Xaqwais

That Litwick is amazing, but then again, everything you post seems awesome.
  24. King Serperior

King Serperior

I have always wanted a pick of a royal Serperior (You know: King Serperior :D) and a Servine and Snivy royal court.

If that ^ is too difficult, I'll happily take just the Royal King Serperior :)

Edit: on second thought: how about a bipedal Metagross could have evolved from Metang instead?
  25. LeviLamprey

LeviLamprey

Wow, this is done on a mouse?
    Stop your fretting, this is better than many digital artists can do with a Tablet pen and the like.
    That Larvesta is just...o.o
    If you could draw me a Kogasa Tatara and Misdreavus both saying 'BOo!' I would love you even more.
    If that's too much trouble could I please just have a plain old Lilligant?
    And if you don't want to do a request, I'm fully content just looking at these nice crisp lines~~~
    Disc'd

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)