1. Welcome to Smogon! Check out the Smogon Starters Hangout for everything you need to know about starting out in the community. Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Introduction and Hangout Thread, too!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

VERSACE: Volt turn power offense RMT ft Scarfed Celebi

Discussion in 'BW OU Teams' started by Curtains, Aug 16, 2013.

1. Curtains

Curtains

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]VERSACE [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Ignore this shit below this

Haven't made one of these in a long time. I used to have fun making these. This team is a high offense volt turn team with some cute defensive strategies to keep the big threats off of me. I have been using different variations of this team for a while... Jirachi used to be scarfed... Hydregon was in for goth and more. I think this is a solid team but It may need some help especially against sunshine. However, it does really well against rain stall and some sand teams.

Ignore this shit above this

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Scizor (F) @ Choice Band
    Trait: Technician
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Adamant Nature
    - Bullet Punch
    - U-turn
    - Pursuit
    - Superpower

First off Scizor brings a few things to the table. I put Scizor in because I wanted a team that could utilize u-turn as effectively as possible. To accomplish that I obviously chose the most powerful u-turn in the tier. Scizor also brings its very good defensive typing along with some very good support moves. Bullet punch is used mostly as a endgame tool to finish off weakened foes and threaten foes that will be knocked out by it. Pursuit is not used that much but I use it mostly against annoying shit like Shedinja and against lati@s without HP fire. Superpower is probably my second used move because it hits many things neutrally and for good damage on top of it. Scizor has excellent synergy with rotom first off because of it's typing. Second they both can u-turn or heavily threaten each others opponents very easily. My EV spread is to try to nail all speed creep tyranitar as possible. I love u-turning and outright knocking out a tyranitar for a free kill. Scizor needs the speed and power together.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
    Calm Nature
    - Volt Switch
    - Hydro Pump
    - Pain Split
    - Thunder Wave

Rotom is a fucking mixed bag of goodies. For one he brings a much needed water resist that is mandatory for any team. Additionally he utilizes the u-turn megacore I have on the team very efficiently by luring out trap bait for Gothitelle. Hydro pump is the spam move. It does solid damage around the board when players try to hard to predict various volt switches and shit. Thunder Wave is a move I put on because I want to get stuff like lati@s and keldeo as slow and exposed as possible. Will o wisp is okay but I believe that Thunder Wave is alot more punishing and not that risky. Pain split is for pinch recovery. It is a neat move.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Jirachi @ Leftovers
    Trait: Serene Grace
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
    Careful Nature
    - Stealth Rock
    - U-turn
    - Body Slam
    - Iron Head

Admittedly Jirachi is probably my least used member on the team. It does well against the lati twins and random tornadus lurking around but other than that it it a really good pokemon to take random hits from. Most battles the most that I get to do is set up SR and maybe get a body slam or two in. Other times I save it for shit like Reniculus,Alakazam and some Tyranitar late game where it has definite winning chances. Other than that this jirachi really has nothing special on it. Special defense based to take as many attacks as possible.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Celebi @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Natural Cure
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Modest Nature
    - Earth Power
    - Leaf Storm
    - Hidden Power [Ice]
    - U-turn

People don't like when I bring this guy up in conversation and I have had many post deleted because of it but I love when people don't know about it in battle. Scarf Celebi is a Gem in a metagame filed with a bunch of water shit and scalds flying all over the fucking place. The most kills I get with this thing is on the first turn when lando-t users think they can just u-turn and kill me on the first turn. Also the idiots that keep a Politoed in thinking I am using that shitty special defensive set with a piss poor giga drain. I can't really put my finger on why this Pokemon is so good but I have the need to use it on all my teams now because it plugs so many holes and hits so many pokemon well. Killing a Heatran on the switch on a predicted Earth Power is so sweet. I don't know if anyone ever noticed this... But leaf storm is fucking strong as fuck. It obviously knocks out the water types but it does plenty damage to things that are neutral to it that it wouldn't do shit to if it had a special defensive set. U-turn is obviously one of the talking points of this set as it nails opposing celebi and things like Alakazam pretty hard. It also serves as a great partner for lando because of all the heatran it lures in. IF Celebi doesn't kill the heatran on its
    own then lando usually finishes them off.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Landorus-Therian (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Intimidate
    Naive Nature
    - U-turn
    - Earthquake
    - Hidden Power [Ice]
    - Superpower

landorus-T is one of my favorite pokemon to use. It's move pool is very wide and it serves as an excellent partner in crime with Gothitelle. U-turn is the main move... It scouts bulky shit that will just in the end get crushed by Gothitelle. Lando has one of the most powerful earthquakes in the game. It can do massive mid-game damage at will if it wants to and it always keeps opponents on edge and cautious about their pokemon not getting too far into the yellow. Hidden power ice is used for other lando and gliscor. I enjoy the coverage I get on this set. I can hit most members of rain stall really good and really open things up for goth to trap and kill things. Max speed and attack for optimum offensive power. I don't really use this as my primary terrakion counter because terrakion generally cannot come in on any of my pokemon. I do use it for dragonite and garchomp.. However I do miss the bulk sometimes but the power of its earthquake it just something I can't turn down.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Gothitelle @ Choice Specs
    Trait: Shadow Tag
    EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature
    - Thunderbolt
    - Hidden Power [Fire]
    - Psychic
    - Shadow Ball

Medusa head is gold. I previously had a hydregon here but holy shit. I lose some power against sun teams but I can a huge advantage against specific members of stall and rain teams. I used to have a problem with stuff like ferrothorn but not any longer. What this shit does it make it so all the u-turns get directed towards offensive members of my opponents team. Players have to really be careful not to bring out a ferrothorn, tentacruel or jellicent too early or it is trap time. I suppose my moveset is okay. I don't use shadow ball too often. Also it is a dilemma whether I should use scarf or specs. Scarf speeds things up but I lose too much power. Also I really want to outspeed breloom really fucking bad but breloom just outpaces me . I would say that this team really became fun once I put this one in. That pause when the opponent tries to see if I really have shadow tag is priceless.

team issues:

sun teams: Sun can be hard to play around... Fortunately my pokemon can take some hits but I usually have a very hard time against sun stall with cresselia.

Boosted dragons: Sometimes boosted dragons can give me some issues.

Importable

X5Dragon, Leftiez and scotti like this.
  2. scotti

scotti

Okay extremely nice team Curtains, all i have are a few nitpicks. 1) plz change the yellow font it is kinda hard to read. 2) i think you should change your Scizor set to this:

Scizor @ Flying Gem
    Trait: Technician
    Jolly Nature
    - Bullet Punch
    - Superpower
    - Acrobatics
    - Swords Dance

Why this Scizor set because your team is really in need of something that can sweep the opposing team and i find Scizor to be the best one. Also you have 3 choiced pokemon on your team, and i really think thats make it harder to defeat certain threats. Hope I helped Curtain and very nice team.
  3. theclapp

theclapp

Offensive Volcarona is a huge threat to your team. If you don't have rocks up, it can set up on Scizor, Gothitelle, Jirachi and celebi. It is even more of a threat if it carries the lum berry, because then neither rotom or Jirachi will be able to paralyze it and will be quickly defeated by two +1 giga drains and a +1 fire blast respectively. After that it can literally 6-0 your team. Try using specially defensive heatran over Jirachi. Heatran can set up rocks and take hits from the lati twins just as well as Jirachi. It also lures in fire attacks aimed at scizor and if you ever need to avoid an EQ you can simply switch to rotom, celebi or landorus.
    Hope this helps.
  4. Curtains

Curtains

Thanks for the replies. Yeah I am aware of the volcarona issues . Usually I just put up rocks as quickly as possible and just try to keep the pressure up at all times. Heatran is a on paper solution but I kind of not want to be switch in bait to 6 other pokemon like landorus or keldeo. If it has lum berry i am screwed but other than that I am confident to play through it. Thanks for the suggestion though.
  5. MoosyDoosy

MoosyDoosy

This is a really good team. :D Anyway, on to some suggestions. I would say that you really need to keep your Gothitelle's Choice Specs. Since you have no way to control the weather, Rain teams will be able to keep their rain up and Ferrothorn in rain becomes a 3HKO with a Choice Specs. With a Choice Scarf, it becomes a 4HKO during which the Ferrothorn can set up more hazards or stall you out with Leech Seed / Protect or just outright kill you since both Power Whip and Gyro Ball do about half your health. I know that Gyro Ball isn't seen much nowadays, but Power Whip is still a threat. So I would keep the Choice Specs.

252 SpA Choice Specs Gothitelle Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn in rain: 140-168 (39.77 - 47.72%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
    252 SpA Gothitelle Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn in rain: 92-112 (26.13 - 31.81%) -- possible 4HKO
    0 Atk Ferrothorn Power Whip vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Gothitelle: 127-151 (45.19 - 53.73%) -- 36.33% chance to 2HKO
    0 Atk Ferrothorn Gyro Ball (150 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Gothitelle: 160-189 (56.93 - 67.25%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Also, my Gothitelle set is 252 SpA / 56 SpD / 200 Spe. I find that most of the things that Gothitelle traps are slow pokes such as Ferrothorn, Forretress, etc, so I have really no need to have max Speed. This way, Gothitelle can have some survivability and might have a chance to come in late game as fodder to scout sets or actually take out another mon. Hope I helped!
  6. Shurtugal

Shurtugal The Enterpriser.

Hey Curtains!

This team looks like it relies heavily on surprise factor, as I can't imagine it doing nearly as well without it (or Celebi being as near effective without this factor) and I usually tend to stay away from teams like these.

However, I'm willing to try.

Firstly, there are a lot of things worrying me about this team -- and the first thing is the use of Goth. I think Goth is a pretty unique Pokemon to use in OU and it can be rather effective when done well, but this team is unusual in the regard that it doesn't really utilize Gothitelle to it's fullest potential. Goth is meant to trap and break teams so that other Pokemon have a much easier time sweeping -- especially when you are running the Specs variant, and yet you don't really have anything that utilizes it's ability to remove Jellicent and Amoonguss and Skarmory as much as you really should.

Landorus-T looks like a waste -- what is it supposed to be doing, really? Come in on Terrakion? It doesn't utilize Intimidate to set up Rocks at all and it isn't exactly the best answer to Garchomp imo since you switch in and they SD and then you're forced to take an Outrage or go to Jirachi and risk EQ.

Any sun team can dismantle this with pretty much little to no effort at all from the opposition. However, despite all these glaring things sticking out at me, I think I can fix them.

1. For starters, Jirachi and Scizor perform similar roles in the regard that they both come in on Latios. At first, I thought you had mindlessly just added Jirachi since it was a common staple and was going to remove it when I realized that Jirachi is ultimately the best answer to Lati@s, etc. because not only does it force them out but it gives you an opp. to set up SR. So really Scizor is the Pokemon that isn't really needed. I see you want to use Goth + Scizor to break teams, but honestly there are better breakers than Scizor you could be using instead.

In fact, I'm going to recommend trying Choice Band Dragonite (yeah, I recommended this on the last team I rated I know, but it fits here) over CB Scizor since Dragonite performs all the roles you want it too (like breaking teams) while also being able to pick off sun teams with essential ease. It still gets priority for RK'ing, and it ultimately can rip holes (ESPECIALLY when paired with Gothitelle) to do tons of work.

However, nothing is really utilizing Goth + Dragonite's (or previously, Goth + Scizor's) ability to break defensive teams and dent offensive teams. However, this leads me to my next point...

2. Your Landorus-T set has got to be the worst set I've ever seen. I don't even know what role it's supposed to be fulfilling apart from weak-as-fuck pivot. I'd replace it for Double Dance Landorus-T because it is an amazing Pokemon that could certainly utilize Gothitelle's ability to the fullest, as well as being something that can set up on most of the threats that can set up on Dragonite as well! I'd use this effort value spread: 44 Hp / 252 Atk / 212 Spe with an Adamant nature. The Thundurus-T on-site / on CC analysis (by BKC) hits 270 speed, so you outpace 128 speed ev'd ThundyT by 1 point (which is useful for many reasons) although you could alternatively hit 265 speed instead to outpace Timid Tentacruel and put more investment in bulk. Double Dance LandoT is another threat to sun, as well as being able to reliably defeat Garchomp (and set up a single boost on +0 mence, since Intimidate knocks out Moxie, etc.) so I'd certainly try this Landorus-T as it's about a billion times better than your (weak as fuck) pivot.

3. For my minor nitpicks, Rotom-W should hit 265 speed to outpace Skarm and Timid Tentacruel, all of which are pretty important, and keep the rest invested in bulk. Jirachi wants 24 speed evs to outpace Adamant Breloom as well.

Hope this helps! I'm not fond of that Celebi set, but these changes should utilize Celebi and Goth to the maximum. Good Luck!

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)