VGC '11 US Northeast Regional - Newark, NJ - June 18th - WON BY imperfectspider

Status
Not open for further replies.
IR seems to be really good for me, I've battled people walking next to me not even pointing their DS over, and haven't had any problems. I don't know why though, might be something with the DS'es or something
Yeah I battled a few people IR and just walked away around the event and there was no issue with connection. There had to be something wrong with either of your DSs or just an unknown factor that was occurring that may be the IR's fault.

pookar

Banned deucer.
lol dat connection issue

me and ditto's r2 match took forever to start because: my thumb strap from my ds phat was in the way of the infrared

cmon nintendo. u serious?

iss

let's play bw lc!
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
lol dat connection issue

me and ditto's r2 match took forever to start because: my thumb strap from my ds phat was in the way of the infrared

cmon nintendo. u serious?
I think IR sucks on flat surfaces. Just a theory.

First time competing in one of these for me, did not end up so hot...
I think I was one of the first 20 to lose as my match ended in about 2 mins (half of which was spent waiting for the double/triple battle glitch to time out).

JabbaTheGriffin

Stormblessed
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
my battling style of laying my ds flat on the table and hunching over it awkwardly was actually very conducive to IR battling except in the first round when i was flipping out because the "choose pokemon" screen kept counting down to 0 even though i already hit confirm.

Huy

INSTANT BALLS
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
IR sensors needs to be directly in front of each other to connect. After the initial connection it switches to a wireless link where you don't need to be directly in front of each other.

IR sensors needs to be directly in front of each other to connect. After the initial connection it switches to a wireless link where you don't need to be directly in front of each other.
That's how it normally works. When IPS and I talked to Liesik about it in DC, he said that when entered into the VGC live competitions, the game never switches to wireless. It just stays on IR the whole time.

lost r2 cause I didn't know Volcanora learned Angry Powder ;-;. it was fun though XD

By the way, there were some....interesting looking people there to say the least. Is it always like that?

I got taken out Round 2 even though I would have won the game because my opponent abused the timer. He had a Quiet Jellicent and Whimsicott against a my Thundurus. Whimsicott had no attack moves and Jellicent would have died from the next thunderbolt so I would have been able to win. But the timer ran out because the whole game was me having to stall out his TR. Well whatever had a good day met Bluecookies in real life along with a few ducks and other smogonites along with a few Team Magma members. Maybe I will take my own advice next year and make a team that just kills everything. lol.
Haha, that was my friend Rob. This was his third VGC and first time making past the first round. After he showed me the video I called him a dick like 5 times lol.

Even though I lost in he same round I did in DC (this time to a Normal Gem Explosion Landorus lol) I felt like this tourney was less of a fluke. In DC I literally did not lose one Pokemon until my fifth match, here every battle I had I lost at least one Poke, and nearly every team I fought pushed me to dig deep and uncover strategical goodstuffs. With a couple lucky guesses I found myself with a win over BlueCookies and what I thought was a lucky draw not having to battle IPS in the top 8 again. I lost an exciting, dynamic match that I clearly made a couple mistakes in to a charismatic guy named Nikolai. Once my friend posts all of his videos to youtube I'll put up some links and will probably write a war story about the tourney. Congrats IPS, you deserved the win more than any one else.

Congrats,imperfectspider. You have accomplished an amazing feat of winning a tournament of a thousand people competing.

I participated in the Masters Tournament and lost the first round in a really close match. My opponent was very smart and outplayed me. It came down to my Hydreigon and his Carracosta and he got the 2nd Protect off just in time for my Tailwind to expire.

YouTube video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Altq03sqz80
ID: 69-36127-29360

I was surprised to not see NightmareJames there. As for S4J, this proves at least to me that TPCI does not check for hacks until much later when almost everyone is eliminated. This is news to me, probably not to the majority of you.

Youtubers are smart when hacking, Magmortar. They can pass legit hacks as perfect legit pokemon with ease. The hack checks won't detect them.

Man, that VGC was a lot of fun. :D I'm glad I even made it to top 32, because I changed up half of my team like 4 days before the competition.

If anybody saw me there, I was the guy dressed as the Zangoose. :3 It was cool sitting with Chalkey, imperfectspider, and Ray Rizzo before the next round. Seeing PokeMoshPit people were cool too, and Marriland and KingDaddyDMAC gave me props for my somewhat shoddy costume which just consisted of a shirt and gloves. xD

Also Stoutland is beast and saved me many times, that is all. (Perhaps I should post a war story?)

Got knocked out first round due to a combination of being out of practice, making bad picks for my party of 4, and bad luck (two Heat Wave misses in a row when either one would have saved me). Oh well, it was a fun day and my nephew got to the second round of Seniors, so good for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)