VGC '11 US Northeast Regional - Newark, NJ - June 18th - WON BY imperfectspider

Status
Not open for further replies.
locopoke, I recorded the match, it's being uploaded to Youtube right now so you can see the battle for yourself in a bit.

Edit: Here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pP45Ktoo4M (Replaced the audio because it's annoying to hear people talk for 11 minutes, also sped the video up and put music to it. Sorry for shaking in the beginning, had to go adjust something)

EE's on top, btw.

Edit 2: I'm also uploading more videos from today - unfortunately, I didn't capture any of the greatness that was the semi-finals because my camera ran out of power -_- Hopefully someone else manages to upload that.

Video 2 is up, between "The Wolf" (on top) and someone else, pretty interesting battle. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_f-VKkM5dk

Expert Evan

every battle has a smell!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Thanks for saving that Cybertron as yes that opponent's "Shocking" was really really annoying. I know I should've sent in a different pokemon I didn't use but as the background song goes you only have one chance.

Edit: my round 2 victory uploaded thanks to Kaphotics :D (complete)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEinN_OnDeg
I know few moves of mine were questionable though some were out of not to underestimate.

cosmicexplorer

pewpewpew
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I got out r4 due to the biggest bullshit if anyone cares.

Scrafty's Crunch crits on my Reuniclus, his Tornadus used Swagger and my Chandelure hit itself in confusion twice in a row, and then his Rock Slide rolls at the very edge of possible damage on my Chandelure to finish off the match. I can guarantee I would have won the match without any of those.

Still, it was fun, and mitch needs to know that his semifinals match was the most incredible thing I've ever seen in my life.

I failed r2 because I water spouted with a low hp jelli and a flinched scrafty, Lets see if I can do better in nats. See you all there.

P.S. Its was great meeting all of you and hope to meet the rest of the you all.

Expert Evan

every battle has a smell!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Once again great to see you all. I do intend to post a warstory at some point as it turns out the guy named Kashif I was facing in Round 3 is also known as Sucker4Jessica whom was also ImperfectSpider's semi-finalist opponent if not mistaken. Now to figure how can I win San Diego's LCQ's without encountering such bad luck once again.

Congratulations IPS once again for the win and avenging my once again disappointing loss.

Edit: this is getting interesting now:
<+Snake> EE
<+Snake> sucker4jessica
<ExpertEvan> my R3 video with Sucker4Jessica is up courtesy of Cybertron
<+Snake> got dqed
<+Snake> he hacked
<+Snake> a hydregion
<ExpertEvan> shit
<+Snake> lv 53
<ExpertEvan> I killed that hydregion anyways
<+Unreality> BS
<imperfectspider> oh no :\
<+Snake> lol
<cosmicexplorer> wow that's dumb

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
any videos up yet??
jesus christ, it seems like half your posts in this forum are begging for videos, why don't you have some fucking patience IT JUST HAPPENED YESTERDAY and as you may have noticed, people will post video links after they've been uploaded

:/ yeah dub you told me about that :/ that really sucks. I enjoyed myself and I plan on going back next year :)

While I don't often post on Smogon, I'm a frequent visitor. I tend to become a little more vocal each year around VGC time.

Yet again, another amazing time at Newark's VGC. I made it to the 3rd round with my silly, but entertaining rain dance team. I'll probably post it up sometime later tonight. I played my best and ended up losing to a first turn priority thunderwave paralysis. It happens.

I felt this year's East Coast VGC was more competitive than some of the previous 2011 VGCs we've been experiencing due to it taking place so late in the evolution of the 2011 doubles metagame. The semifinals match was truly a perfect example of the game we love so very much.

I met some amazing people. I love this community and definitely want to battle some of the better players that I wasn't able to get a chance to play in person over this past weekend.

Ditto

/me huggles
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Got to Round 4 and lost in a good game against RedSpyda. Made a couple hasty decisions which were based on false assumptions. Put me in a bad position from the beginning.

Battle Video: 95-10978-32275

Does anybody know what the attendence numbers where for each of the qualifiers?
I'd like to see how much people each one had.

My story is just sad. Its not a war story being that I lost Round 2.

1st round, Flawless 4-0 game. She had a Zweilious for some odd reason. Her Volcorana wasnt max speed. Easy game.

Faced Victor Arnold, said he made 2nd in Juniors last year and gave him a bravo, job well done. Scared for a second because I didn't want to play a person who actually knew what he was doing. Leads with a Thundurus and Krookidile and first thing that comes to me is a discharge abuse team. I lead with Tornadus and a Terrakion so I could get some damage done. Waiting waiting, WAITING!!! Communicating, please standby for a good 5 minutes. The battle progress' and continues to say "Communicating, please standby." The communicating please standby took in total about 9-11 minutes of the 15 minutes and as we know, the frozen time does take time from the battle time, meaning only about 4-6 minutes for 1 ENTIRE battle. Skipping towards the ending.
----->
Time is at 0. We have our last turns. Minchinno and Jellicent was his last two. My last two were Thundurus and Tornadus, I had Tailwind up. Tornadus about 25 life, Thundurus full life. His Minchinno had ~25 life too, his Jellicent had full life. He told me his moves after the battle and said he was going to Rock blast and Water Spout, not that it even mattered. I was going to acrobatics the Minchinno and thunderbolt the Jellicent w/ a Electric Gem. His Jellicent didn't have a scarf. I would have won but it FROZE AGAIN!!! Froze till the time ran out. ------->

"I'm sorry, there's nothing I could do now, just tough luck", said Marriland. He turned off our games, checked for hacks and our games were legit. I didn't have a chance to save He circled the red sign on mine and circled the green sign on his. I questioned constantly, "why cant I have a rematch, its completely unfair. I WOULD HAVE WON WITH MY FULL TIME OR EVEN AN EXTRA MINUTE" Ready to curse him out in my fury, I just walked out, saddened and disappointed seeing my opponent eager to continue.

This is my experience at VGC played in Newark as a senior.

My story is just sad. Its not a war story being that I lost Round 2.

1st round, Flawless 4-0 game. She had a Zweilious for some Odd reason. Her Volcorana wasnt max speed. Easy game.

Faced Victor Arnold, said he made 2nd in Juniors last year and gave him a bravo, job well done. Scared for a second because I didn't want to play a person who actually knew what he was doing. Leads with a Thundurus and Krookidile and first thing that comes to me is a discharge abuse team. I lead with Tornadus and a Terrakion so I could get some damage done. Waiting waiting, WAITING!!! Communicating, please standby for a good 5 minutes. The battle progress' and continues to say "Communicating, please standby." The communicating please standby took in total about 9-11 minutes of the 15 minutes and as we know, the frozen time does take time from the battle time, meaning only about 4-6 minutes for 1 ENTIRE battle. Skipping towards the ending.
----->
Time is at 0. We have our last turns. Minchinno and Jellicent was his last two. My last two were Thundurus and Tornadus, I had Tailwind up. Tornadus about 25 life, Thundurus full life. His Minchinno had ~25 life too, his Jellicent had full life. He told me his moves after the battle and said he was going to Rock blast and Water Spout, not that it even mattered. I was going to acrobatics the Minchinno and thunderbolt the Jellicent w/ a Electric Gem. His Jellicent didn't have a scarf. I would have won but it FROZE AGAIN!!! Froze till the time ran out. ------->

"I'm sorry, there's nothing I could do now, just tough luck", said Marriland. He turned off our games, checked for hacks and our games were legit. I didn't have a chance to save He circled the red sign on mine and circled the green sign on his. I questioned constantly, "why cant I have a rematch, its completely unfair. I WOULD HAVE WON WITH MY FULL TIME OR EVEN AN EXTRA MINUTE" Ready to curse him out in my fury, I just walked out, saddened and disappointed seeing my opponent eager to continue.

This is my experience at VGC played in Newark as a senior.
Wait, if he had 25 and you had 25 with both full health second Pokemon, why did you lose? They can't just do a toss-up. They should have had you guys rematch since it was THEIR fault.

Wait, if he had 25 and you had 25 with both full health second Pokemon, why did you lose? They can't just do a toss-up. They should have had you guys rematch since it was THEIR fault.
Apparently, it was a 50-50. and exactly. Marriland said you guys must have been picking up the DS'. They didnt say ANYWHERE that the connection would be bad and make sure to keep your DS' on the table Personally, I thought it was dumb and dissappointing for VGC to do.

My guess is probably this:

3) Amount of Total HP Remaining
a. If one player’s team has a higher total HP remaining, that player wins the game.
b. If both players’ teams have the same total HP remaining, the result of the game is a tie.
Normally someone's Jellicent would have more HP then a Thundurus, so that could have been the decision.

Got to Round 4 and lost in a good game against RedSpyda. Made a couple hasty decisions which were based on false assumptions. Put me in a bad position from the beginning.

Battle Video: 95-10978-32275
OH snap that was you ditto??? I feel that was one of the best matches i had there period

I wound up losing top 32 though but i had a great time

Team Rocket Elite

Data Integration Thought Entity
is a Top Researcher Alumnus
I'm actually surprised I haven't heard more complaints about the connection issue. In my experience, the connection works great if the DSs are positioned correctly when communication but they don't really emphasize anywhere how important correct positioning is. I have a habit of constantly pulling my DS towards me when making my decisions and this caused problems in my first match. However, once I learned that I needed to put the DS back in the correct position whenever they needed to communicate, the battles when fairly smoothly.

I'm actually surprised I haven't heard more complaints about the connection issue. In my experience, the connection works great if the DSs are positioned correctly when communication but they don't really emphasize anywhere how important correct positioning is. I have a habit of constantly pulling my DS towards me when making my decisions and this caused problems in my first match. However, once I learned that I needed to put the DS back in the correct position whenever they needed to communicate, the battles when fairly smoothly.
I lifted the DS up on my first battle, however, seemed to find no problems. Did the same for the second game and thats where it began. They should have told us or something.

iss

let's play bw lc!
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
IR seems to be really good for me, I've battled people walking next to me not even pointing their DS over, and haven't had any problems. I don't know why though, might be something with the DS'es or something

IR seems to be really good for me, I've battled people walking next to me not even pointing their DS over, and haven't had any problems. I don't know why though, might be something with the DS'es or something
Yes, your right. I mean, when I play with my friends, it seems to work PERFECTLY. I think the connection level was too high and IR wasnt the best idea for VGC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)