VGC '12 Canada National - Toronto - WON by Chinese Dood

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know how the travel allowance works? Do I just get a cheque for $300 or do I have to show them receipts for travel etc. and I get at most $300 back for that? I live pretty close to Toronto so if that's the case can I just book a hotel or something so I can get the most out of that $300?

Firestorm, I also plan on bringing a friend along, two friends at most for now but at least one i know that plans on entering in as well. Ill keep you updated man.

Huy

INSTANT BALLS
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Let's not forget that Canada is just America Jr. Half the country, half the prizes.

Whoa, I felt picking Canada over Indy for my Nationals trip would be a smart idea for a sec. But making it only Top 2 is insanely stiff, even if there aren't too many people

...huh. Well, probably not going to place in the top two, but I'd really like at least a trophy. Better step my game up.

This is just sadly unfair... No invite?
It's not that unfair, you still have an invitation/trip for the Top 2 players. If you consider the amount of players that will be competing at US Nationals vs. the amount of players that will be at Canada Nationals, there will probably be 2x or even 3x the amount of players at US Nats compared to Canada Nats. Just take a look at the Regionals numbers.

Though I still think that if they were going to give all the other countries Top 4 trips/invites, they should have stayed consistent and done the same with Canada.

It's not that unfair, you still have an invitation/trip for the Top 2 players. If you consider the amount of players that will be competing at US Nationals vs. the amount of players that will be at Canada Nationals, there will probably be 2x or even 3x the amount of players at US Nats compared to Canada Nats. Just take a look at the Regionals numbers.

Though I still think that if they were going to give all the other countries Top 4 trips/invites, they should have stayed consistent and done the same with Canada.

I feel like they gave more of a support at regionals then? I mean 2 paid trips? Compared to the paid trip for 1st and travel allowance through the other 2-4th. I just think they should had done the same. Like I mean Spain, Italy all them got top 4 why not Canada? Also could you reply to my PM?

I feel like they gave more of a support at regionals then? I mean 2 paid trips? Compared to the paid trip for 1st and travel allowance through the other 2-4th. I just think they should had done the same. Like I mean Spain, Italy all them got top 4 why not Canada? Also could you reply to my PM?
Like I said, your attendance numbers aren't nearly as close as America, Spain, Italy, Germany, etc. I'm pretty sure you didn't have over 100 in any given division at either Regional, where as Philly had 80+ Juniors, 170+ Seniors, and 300+ Masters. And that's just at a Regional. And yes, they gave way too much support for such a small tournament at Regionals.

@Snivy102, I am aware of that but when I look at my what I consider to be my "competition," I look at everyone from Smogon that is going. Most of the top players end up having a Smogon account. It's not the most accurate way to gauge the skill level at the tournament, but it gives you a good estimate.

Like I said, your attendance numbers aren't nearly as close as America, Spain, Italy, Germany, etc. I'm pretty sure you didn't have over 100 in any given division at either Regional, where as Philly had 80+ Juniors, 170+ Seniors, and 300+ Masters. And that's just at a Regional. And yes, they gave way too much support for such a small tournament at Regionals.
That may be true, but I believe if they did do a top 4 it would give out interests to other people to come out and play. I mean if people think only top 2 will make the cut that really makes them think if they should event participate because a x-1 can whiff. Heck we didn't even have a top cut and we had 25 seniors at regionals? Like the organizers here don't give that much attention to VGC they don't even know how it works.

That may be true, but I believe if they did do a top 4 it would give out interests to other people to come out and play. I mean if people think only top 2 will make the cut that really makes them think if they should event participate because a x-1 can whiff. Heck we didn't even have a top cut and we had 25 seniors at regionals? Like the organizers here don't give that much attention to VGC they don't even know how it works.
Well, of course you're going to get more interest by offering better prizes. But top 2 trips/invites aren't going to stop anyone from going. US invites/trips has declined every year since 2009, but the attendance numbers are just as strong every year. I doubt the majority of people are going to say, "I'm not going to come because I can go x-1 and whiff!" And I'm not sure what you're trying to say with the second part of your statement.

I'm just pointing out that even though Top 2 trip/invites are less than all the other countries, it's somewhat fair considering this is Canada's first year doing VGC and that its Regionals had so few people.

Canada gets the short end of the stick...

And for the right reasons... you should be generous that Pokemon is finally supporting Canada in VGC, not complaining about the prizes :/

@MiniWade, lol, we all want more prize support but we're not going to get it. Just saying.

Well, of course you're going to get more interest by offering better prizes. But top 2 trips/invites aren't going to stop anyone from going. US invites/trips has declined every year since 2009, but the attendance numbers are just as strong every year. I doubt the majority of people are going to say, "I'm not going to come because I can go x-1 and whiff!" And I'm not sure what you're trying to say with the second part of your statement.

I'm just pointing out that even though Top 2 trip/invites are less than all the other countries, it's somewhat fair considering this is Canada's first year doing VGC and that its Regionals had so few people.
I guess it is fair, but I just think a bit more prize support should be there. Just top 2 get the prizes then the rest who've came 3rd and 4th just get plainly nothing but a trophy. We should be happy Canada do get VGC, but should be getting somewhat a bit more attention. I know it's there first year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)