VGC '12 Eastern Canada Regional - Toronto, ON - Won by c l e a r & MiniWade!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Metro Toronto Convention Centre [ Map ]
255 Front Street West
Toronto, ON M5V 2W6​

Canada will be receiving its first set of officially sanctioned Pokemon video game tournaments this spring! In Toronto it will be take place at the Wizard World Toronto Comic-Con. The swiss format tournament will take place on Sunday April 15th, one day after the TCG tournament in the same venue. The top four receive subsidized trips to the Nationals tournament in Toronto with the top two also receiving two round byes.

Format
The tournament will be in the swiss format likely with no top cut. Players will be paired up against each other and every round they will play someone else with a similar record to them. After a set amount of rounds, the players with the best scores (with tie-breakers determined by the win percentage of their opponents) will receive their prizes. This means everyone will get to play every round and nobody is eliminated in the tournament!

Transit Instructions
Honestly, unless you're coming from the airport these are actually walking instructions because of how close the convention centre is to where you'll be getting off from land-based transport. It's not worth grabbing a subway.

From Union Station (GO Bus, GO Train, TTC) [ Map ]
  1. Walk up to Front St.
  2. Turn left and walk down Front St. until you hit the entrance to the convention centre
From Toronto Bus Terminal (Greyhound, Megabus, Coach Canada) [ Map ]
  1. Walk down Bay St. past Eatons Centre
  2. Turn right on Queen St.
  3. Turn left on Simcoe St.
  4. Turn right on Front St. and walk until you hit the entrance to the convention centre

From Toronto Pearson International Airport [ Map ]
  1. Take the 300 bus from Bay 1
  2. Transfer to the 504 Streetcar at Bloor at Dundas
  3. Get off at King St. West at John St.
  4. Walk down John St.
  5. Turn left at Front St. and walk until you hit the entrance to the convention centre

Attending
Masters
  1. Phiddlesticks
  2. Layell
  3. Atlas
  4. Texas Cloverleaf
  5. Rockstar99
  6. OVERGRO
  7. SupremeDirt
  8. Umbral
  9. Kapuran
  10. MaRcEsCeNt
  11. sophies
  12. Roz
  13. jerkstore
  14. Kittymew
  15. Hegna
Seniors
  1. Snivy102
  2. Tuchpi (maybe?)
  3. MiniWade

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Very excited I hope to be there for whatever group is the age 20. As already stated on the facebook an after event is mandatory!

EDIT: I'm in Masters.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I know there was some concern about this so I followed up and you will not have to purchase tickets to Comic-con. The tournament is being held in a room outside the main Comic-con area.

EXCITED BEYOND BEYOND :)
Ready for my first VGC!
(Could someone get the link to the official event page working?) :D

EDIT: Can someone let me know the timings for the event? All day? 11:00 - 4:00?

Firestorm

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
It will work once it exists. Between the Rules & Prizes link and this topic, you have pretty much all the information we know. Aside from registration and start times, that's all the information there will be really.

Can I at least have an idea of possible start times for this event?
And what are the age limits for Masters and Seniors?

Firestorm

Start times will be posted once they're revealed. As I mentioned already, this is all the information we have so far. The earliest any tournament is starting so far is 8AM with the latest being 10AM.

Masters are born in or before 1996. If you're born between 1997 and 1999 inclusive, you are a Senior.

I see, so I'm going to get my butt handed to me by masters. -.-
Thank you sir, I hope the revelations come soon.

http://www.skyfoxgames.com/tourname...-pokemon-regional-championships-2012-tcg.html

The real event start times are up on this link!
Registration starts at 9am and closes at 10:30am
*Note: Please plan to arrive early as registration takes approximately 30 minutes

Also (other important info):

Skyfox games website said:
What is the tournament format for the Pokémon Video Game Spring Regional Championships?

Events will be run using the Modified Format and Swiss pairings. See the Tournament Rules [http://www.pokemon.com/us/play-pokemon/play-pokemon-tournaments/rules/] for additional information about the Modified and Swiss formats. The number of Swiss rounds run will depend on the total attendance of the event. Prizes will be awarded after the final Swiss round.

What do I need to bring to the Pokémon Video Game Regional Championships?

Players must have a Player ID to participate. If you have a Trainer Club account but don’t have a Player ID, you can get one by logging into your account and visiting https://www.pokemon.com/us/account/upgrade2/. Be sure to bring your Player ID to the event!

Players must provide their own Nintendo DS systems and Pokémon Black Version or Pokémon White Version Game Cards.

Players should bring chargers for their Nintendo DS systems, as the tournament staff will not have chargers available for loan.
Should probably update the various pages, incl. the facebook page.

Public Transit Directions:

TTC Subway to St. Andrew Station (on the Yongue-University-Spadina line)

From St. Andrew take the 504 LRT (Streetcar) to the intersection of King St. W and John Street.

Walk South on John Street (if you pass Wellington, you're going in the right direction, but if you pass Pearl St. you're going in the wrong direction).
Turn left on Front Street and keep walking until you reach the convention center.

Now navigating in the MTCC itself is another issue.

Good luck!

Fares and prices for the TTC (the transit system you will likely be riding) visit:

http://www.ttc.ca/Fares_and_passes/Prices/index.jsp

Firestorm

Er, I'm all for adding transit instructions but why is that a better option than walking from Union Station which you can reach by Subway and GO? I'd also recommend walking for those going by Greyhound or Megabus tbh. It's close enough to walk to although if you're lazy you could subway to Union.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)