VGC '12 Japanese Championships

Status
Not open for further replies.

Havak

I'm the Best. You're a Towel.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Is it just me, or is the player whose perspective theta we're seeing isn't exactly playing good, for example, he used earthquake when both of the opponents pokémon naturally are immune to it (t1 Rotom-W and Hydreigon) i'm not sure if they're playing on some kind of astronomicly high prediction level, but that is slightly weird or utterly crazy (or did the timer chose his moves as he had not chosen his attacks in time), Regardless, the winner played well and he probably deserved it.
It was a bold prediction, but so was leaving in Hydreigon against two faster Dragon-types despite the Haban Berry. Pure speculation here but I actually think I faced the guy who won on Wi-Fi earlier this year, or at least someone with a very similar team. One of the other two Pokémon that we didn't see was Metagross, so predicting a Metagross switch for Hydreigon right away wouldn't have been out of the ordinary. However, if I expected said player to have picked Metagross, I would have just targeted Rotom as more of a safer play anyway (especially with Sash Chomp and what I assume was Scarf Mence). But yeah, either way it was a disappointing final but I don't think we can judge players on one game.

R Inanimate

It's Lunatic Time
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Just watched the Senior's final. What a match. If Takuya targetted the other Pokemon on the last turn, he could have possibly won that battle instead of Shota.

I think this is the Japanese Senior Finals?
" Pokemon WCS2012 Japan representative decision meeting senior finals game 1"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNiC7FbkAEA&feature=plcp
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFDnp9JnybM&feature=plcp
Enjoyed that battle much more than the masters. But what move was it that dropped Metagross's hp to 4 in turn 1? Shock Wave? (Not thunderbolt/discharge is all I can tell).

Masters was a bit of a meh battle really. But I personally liked it. Just because it seemed much more casual then American VGC's.

Edit; Wow just saw end of seniors and that was anti-climatic. Simple Time out for the win lol.
@Below: Oh I didn't realize, that's what I get for trying to multi-task I get lol.

Nice time stall victory there, you could see he was doing it on purpose throughout too which is a bit lame.
Why risk it? A W is a W. One thing that separates the great players and the decent players is probability and risk management. Shota made the right decision in this case, the best and most probable way to win. The other player had a chance to close out but he couldn't do it.

Why risk it? A W is a W. One thing that separates the great players and the decent players is probability and risk management. Shota made the right decision in this case, the best and most probable way to win. The other player had a chance to close out but he couldn't do it.
It's a subjective thought on the matter and obviously is a type of play that is permitted and is understandable, I was only voicing an opinion not determining whether it was good play or not.

I guess it was exciting. Hey it was Japanese Nationals, but the quality of the battlers...
Maybe I just dont get it, but it wasnt what I expected for the Japanese

Huy

INSTANT BALLS
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Remember in 2010 when the final consisted of a Sheer Cold Suicune wrecking? Don't go judging based on a few videos =)

Oh my gosh. That seniors final was absolutely amazing. I don't think I have ever seen or played a match that close ever. I'm predicting both of them to go far in the world championships. Just wow.

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Sorry for being misinformed, but what was the format for the tournament? Was it Wi-Fi or a physical event? I heard nothing about the Japanese (or the mentioned Korean) qualifiers. Gonna get to watching the matches soon.

Huy

INSTANT BALLS
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
WiFi Tournament was hosted to choose 16 invitees. These 16 played in a single elimination playoff.

Watched the final match in Seniors. Just like everyone else, it was impressive. Anyone going to Hawaii to compete will have to be on their toes for these Japanese competitors. I've noticed over wifi that the Japanese seem to favor Thundurus. It may be because it is easier to get in-game, but I doubt it. I'm sure they think that Prankster T-Wave and other moves make it more of a threat than Zapdos with Tailwind.

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
What I found more interesting was Shota Yamamoto's use of Swagger over Taunt on Thundurus. When used on Cress, it's an interesting tradeoff: you are either relying on luck to prevent it from doing anything, or you want a guarantee that its status won't shut down your sweepers.

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
Oh, interesting. I watched the whole thing intently and I didn't notice Taunt. I feel dumb for wondering why he didn't use Sub, Protect, or Hidden Power. xD

Havak

I'm the Best. You're a Towel.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I've always preferred bulky Thundurus to Zapdos. I used a similar set in one of the Wi-Fi friendlies (T Wave/Tbolt/Swagger/Rest) but I found it difficult to use effectively in the end. Not fully sure why as I could always see the potential, but only having one attack always seemed to hurt me.

A lot of Japanese players like to use Swagger Thundurus w/ Lum Metagross, and then paralyse your team so compensate for Metagross' low Speed. They also do the same with Safeguard + Swagger Cresselia, then go with Icy Wind or Thunder Wave as well. This means they can use a resist berry item instead, but they lose Prankster and are susceptible to Taunt more easily. I've only really seen it used in conjunction with Metagross / Tyranitar / Hitmontop, but I think it's safe to say you should at least somewhat expect some kind of Swagger combo if you see a Japanese player with Thundurus or Cresselia at Worlds.

Lum Berry could be a key item in some games if you can manage to predict Swagger against one of your special attackers, and switch in a physical Pokémon with Lum Berry. However, the Japanese players are very clever, they might start to favour something entirely different for Worlds. But this has been a common occurrence on W-Fi all year in my experience.

Also, in regards to the seniors battle and time stalling. I am assuming that was a critical hit Volt Switch against Metagross early on in the match. Metagross seemed like his way out of a lot of things in that game and to have it effectively removed from the game so soon put him on the back foot. I think this is one of the reasons for such time stalling, I would have done the same.

Kaphotics

Remodeling Kitchens
is a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Thanks to Human and Pokécheck's new VS. Player feature, here's the Masters Winner's Team:

Wow... I can't believe you can do that. How did you get the match?
He (The Japanese Champion) uploaded it on Wi-Fi.

EDIT: Alot of good VGC players are starting to have their Battle Videos uploaded, such as RubeNCB vs RayRizz in the friendly, I don't know how safe GBU would be seeing this has been made a public system to use.

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
The Japanese have had a similar system for extracting Pokémon info directly from a battle video for some time, but it was less user-friendly as it required you to upload a save file containing the video. VSPlayer enables this for any battle uploaded to the GBU, no special equipment necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)