VGC '12 Midwest Regional - Madison, WI - Won by ZachDro & WaterPokemonTrainer!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm just rounding up the last of the scores on the doors, but I can confirm Zachdro wins this regional!

Results from WI
Masters
ZachDro 7-0
Sixonesix 6-1
Trainer Red 6-1
Jhud 6-1
MangoSol 6-1
theamericandream38 5-2
Synre 5-2
Calvin Chan 5-2
Shiny Regice 5-2
evan 5-2
Psycho 4-3

(Not ordered by final position, just scores.)
Trainer Gold (Red's friend, they also had Trainer Blue in their posse) was 6-1 as well and placed third.

I was the person wearing a light blue staff shirt that said Pokemon on the front and Staff on the back. I'm sure most of you saw me whether or not you recognized me.

Edit: As far as the note taking goes, TPCi told us it was up to the judges and so that was Marriland's choice was.

I was the person wearing a light blue staff shirt that said Pokemon on the front and Staff on the back. I'm sure most of you saw me whether or not you recognized me.

Edit: As far as the note taking goes, TPCi told us it was up to the judges and so that was Marriland's choice was.
I think you were the one that looked JUST like Mike Liesik. You were running the Yahtzee at the end, right?

Either way that venue was great, was totally impressed with the Monona Terrace. Amazing architecture on the building and everything was really well directed and easily accessible....and they're doing it again next year too!

Congrats to everyone today, that was a really fun regional, every single person I played was competent. Glad to get a rematch with Evan (that was fantastic :P) and the 2 BPL players were a great challenge to finish things.

I didn't run side events. I was getting the rule sets onto everyone's cartridges until Masters Registration was done. I was at the fifth white box you saw. I then was verifying match slips until registration began for Juniors and Seniors. After registering all of them, I was in the juniors and seniors are for coverage.

I'm tall and skinny if I had to describe myself. ~150lbs 6' 3".

I still have to receive official word if I'm going as staff for VGC Nats or not. I'm hoping to get a spot there for the third year in a row. I will be there either way though. Sadly, I'm not going to Worlds though unless I get a paid trip.

Well guys I'm back home again in Indy now, kinda weird to think I just spent this weekend travelling to Wisconsin in a tourney, it FLEW.

Anyways I wanna say thanks to you guys for making this easily one of, if not the best tournament experience I've been to so far. I met a lot of you guys and you all seemed super friendly and amazing!

As for how I played, well all I can say is deja vu. Seriously in Ft Wayne I went 4-0. Lost 5th round due to a sliver of hax and a 1hp Abomasnow with sash. This time I got flinch haxed during the one time it mattered and he survived with a 1hp Terrakion. Then I lost both times in the 7th round although this time around I don't think it would have mattered to get t4.

Also guys I'm thinking about starting my Youtube channel with a few matches here and there from VGC. After my parents got an iPad 2 I have a semi decent way to film battles and I was gonna get a mic to commentate. I want to know if you guys would be interested?

evan

I did my best -- I have no regrets
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
ahahahaha oh man congrats glenn that's amazing

Congrats to Zach for a strong showing. I've been replaying our match over and over in my head and I can't believe I zigged when I should have zagged aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa but you deserve it buddy. Congrats to MangoSol too who beat me in R7. I was a bit annoyed at myself afterwards but then I realized that even if I won my opponents' win percentage was so low that I wasn't making t4 so I'm glad I could help you along.

Finished a strong 12th place at 5-2, three spots ahead of weakest Synre in 15th.

Venue was great. I loved Madison and wish I could have spent more time there instead of having to drive back so my friend could make classes in the morning (though i did make incredible time probably could've stuck around for another hour or two). Only complaint I had was (of course) no top cut. I understand we were only two players away from making it an 8 round tournament which I think would have been so much healthier for the tournament. Because of the low win percentages of my first two opponents, I was playing a single elimination tournament anyway as there were 7 (!!!) 6-1 record holders and only 3 non-ZachDro spots available.

Still, bang up job guys but seriously. My mons are NOT hacked.

Evan that was still a great battle, it could have gone either way, as could have mine with Red.

Thanks Hagrid, it was cool to meet you all today, and every one of you having a winning record (the kids moreso! :P) is quite the feat. Definitely will see you at nats.

Well what I really kind of feel stupid/jerkish admitting is my Mamoswine seriously did not have any EVs. I forgot I got a Swinub from Crow on Friday that wasn't anything but RNG bred and derped and didn't check it. I used it at least 5 of the battles if not 6...so I'm not even sure what to say about it other than Mamoswine is an absolute beast (and it does NOT belong on tier 2 of Deagle's list >_>).

The hack check was crazy haha. How many times did we get checked, 4? 5? However it was a good thing they were on it, and the entire tournament setup was great, the staff was helpful, everything was smooth, and they even had good vendors there selling stuff. Better yet, they're doing it again next year, and now know everything they'll need for it.

I'll just write a darn warstory, there was so much hilarious/noteworthy stuff that happened in between that's worth sharing.

Really awesome weekend overall :D

During the tournament itself most players that were in the top got checked twice. After the tournament was over, the main reason you had to hand your cartridge in was to get the team data for TPCi.

Congrats Zachdro and all. It was a great tournament. I'm kinda sad I did so poorly. I went 4-3, starting off badly with mangosol (troll alert) beating me 2-0. I should have prepared more tbh.

Glad this is happening again next year. The venue is so close to my apartment it hurts B)

It's confirmed to be there again next year? SCORE...just have to prepare for Illinois and it's ridiculous tolls this time -_- (their roads are awful too)

Deleted User #77065

Banned deucer.
Evan that was still a great battle, it could have gone either way, as could have mine with Red.

Thanks Hagrid, it was cool to meet you all today, and every one of you having a winning record (the kids moreso! :P) is quite the feat. Definitely will see you at nats.

Well what I really kind of feel stupid/jerkish admitting is my Mamoswine seriously did not have any EVs. I forgot I got a Swinub from Crow on Friday that wasn't anything but RNG bred and derped and didn't check it. I used it at least 5 of the battles if not 6...so I'm not even sure what to say about it other than Mamoswine is an absolute beast (and it does NOT belong on tier 2 of Deagle's list >_>).

The hack check was crazy haha. How many times did we get checked, 4? 5? However it was a good thing they were on it, and the entire tournament setup was great, the staff was helpful, everything was smooth, and they even had good vendors there selling stuff. Better yet, they're doing it again next year, and now know everything they'll need for it.

I'll just write a darn warstory, there was so much hilarious/noteworthy stuff that happened in between that's worth sharing.

Really awesome weekend overall :D
I'd just like to pop in and say congrats to everyone, especially ZachDro!

My Pokemon league from Ohio went to this event, and one of my friends felt the wrath of your Mamoswine (he used a Trick Room team against you...his name was Cam, if you introduced yourselves). He spoke very highly of you!

I wish I could have made the trip to regionals, but a combination of recovering from surgery and lack of funds kept me here. I RNGed some Pokemon for the guy who took second place in Master's, so I'd like to think I was there in spirit.

Again, great job Zach, and everyone else who did well!

Dawned on me I never posted because of my phone troubles:

Thought this was a really good event. I was a little more stressed about the whole thing this time than I was during Ft. Wayne, since I really didn't have time to be travelling for Pokemon this late in the semester(why is it not in the beginning of May instead...), but it was definitely worth it. The Pokemon part of the trip wasn't particularly fun: I got fought almost purely rain and TR, lost one game on a 50/50 against the worst team matchup for what I was running I could have hit, lost another to a combination of events with way less than a 1% chance of occurring, and got a win I didn't deserve at all to finish the day after getting outplayed badly by Glenn Arnold because Garchomp entered ninja mode. Had one funny game between the two luckfests where Counter T-tar got a pair of kills, which I had a lot of fun with, but in general learned that while I wanted to run something a little bulkier and slower tempo compared to what I used in Ft. Wayne (which is now 12-2 while other people are using it...) I probably went too far in that direction because too few Pokemon on the team could really... do... anything...

The fun part, as usual, was the social end. Wish we all could have hung out a bit more, but it was nice getting to chat with people like tad and Zach again and meeting Oberon and Glenn and some of the people who play on Skarmbliss. It was too bad I had to see evan again, but at least they hack checked him five times like the dirty cheater he is(seriously though, staff dudes, you couldn't find a better use of time hackchecking than getting him 5 times at 5-2 but not hackchecking most of the rest of us at 5-2 even once?). I also learned what it was like to run in a slow motion action sequence after I left lunch with 10 minutes to be in my seat for Round 5 and was hit with the strongest gust of wind I've ever seen in my life the moment I started jogging. I was (obviously) rooting for evan after lunch, but if it wasn't going to be him, I'm really glad it was Zach. He's practiced hard and was manly enough to try to talk some people who weren't going to come at all or who were going to go to different events into coming to Madison and then won anyway in spite of making things harder for himself. Good guy, deserving champ. It was cool to see how well the Arnold kids did as well, think this is one regional where the right people ended up on top.

Hope to see you all at Nats.

I got fought almost purely rain and TR, lost one game on a 50/50 against the worst team matchup for what I was running I could have hit, lost another to a combination of events with way less than a 1% chance of occurring, and got a win I didn't deserve at all to finish the day after getting outplayed badly by Glenn Arnold because Garchomp entered ninja mode.
The first miss I was all WTF, but after that it was just plain fun. I was glad to be playing out the string against a cool dude.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)