Jonny
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

150 Crestwood Plaza
Crestwood, MO 63126​

Registration (Juniors+Seniors): 8:30 AM - 9:30 PM
Seating (Juniors+Seniors): 10:00 AM

Registration (Masters): 11:00 AM
Seating (Masters): 1:00 PM

For the first time, Pokémon is combining their Trading Card and Video Game Regionals for one incredible event! The Mississippi Valley Regional, located at Yeti Gaming in Crestwood, Missouri, is a new location for Video Game players. With a new tournament format, everyone gets to play and no one gets eliminated, so come join some of the toughest and most skilled trainers in the country at the 2012 Pokémon VGC Mississippi Valley Regional.

Information:
  1. Regionals has now become a 2 day event. The first day is solely for the card game, and the 2nd is for the video game.
  2. The tournament will not be single elimination anymore. Matches for tournaments are set up using the Swiss Pairing Method. In this method, all players in a tournament play in each round against an opponent with a similar win/loss record. Players are not paired against opponents they have previously played. To sum it up, you are paired with a random opponent through the computer that has the same record as you.
  3. There will be no Top Cut: This means that results will be based off Swiss standings, and tiebreakers (Your opponent's win %) will be used to determine placing.
Hotel Info
The Pokemon Tournament Organizers for the Mississippi Valley region have reserved a room block on Saturday night for competitors this year.
Holiday Inn St. Louis-Southwest Hotel
10709 Watson Rd.
St. Louis, MO 63127
Phone: 314-821-6600

Put in code PKMN when booking online for $79.00 a night.​
Prizes:
All participants will receive 5 Play! Points, and a Pokémon Regional Championships promo card (while supplies last), just for playing!

1st Place

• A Pokémon Video Game Regional Championships 1st Place medal
  • A Travel Award for the winner (including a parent or legal guardian for players under 18) to the 2011 Pokémon Video Game U.S. National Championships at the Indiana Convention Center in Indianapolis, Indiana, OR the 2011 Pokémon Video Game Canada National Championships in Toronto, ON.*
  • A first- and second-round bye at the 2012 Pokémon Video Game U.S. National Championships**
  • Additional Pokémon-themed items
  • 10 Championship Points
2nd Place

• A Pokémon Video Game Regional Championships 2nd Place medal
  • A $300 travel allowance (including an additional $300 travel allowance for players under 18) to participate in the 2011 Pokémon Video Game U.S. National Championships at the Indiana Convention Center in Indianapolis, Indiana, OR the 2011 Pokémon Video Game Canada National Championships in Toronto, ON.*
  • A first- and second-round bye at the 2012 Pokémon Video Game U.S. National Championships**
  • 8 Championship Points
3rd & 4th Place

• A Pokémon Video Game Regional Championships 3rd or 4th Place medal
  • A $300 travel allowance (including an additional $300 travel allowance for players under 18) to participate in the 2011 Pokémon Video Game U.S. National Championships at the Indiana Convention Center in Indianapolis, Indiana, OR the 2011 Pokémon Video Game Canada National Championships in Toronto, ON.*
  • 6 Championship Points
5th through 36th will all earn championship points based on attendance, but these points do not affect us this year.

Attending
Masters Division
  • DadRank
  • mattj (+4 others)
  • Ashenlock
  • Little Raven
  • biffsterPKMN
  • TeeJay (+1-2 others)
  • Alaka
  • GreySong
  • redhairedking
  • lucariojr
  • ryuzaki
  • jhud
Senior Division
  1. JRank

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
MUSS DEFEAT DADRANK D:

Put me down boss. I'll have all my newb friends from work with me. My bud Scott, my other bud Scott, my Bud Dave and his two sons, and my other bud Zach, all friends from work.

For those who aren't familiar with the area, Yeti Gaming is in a mall. There's a huge open court in front of it, so that's where they'll set up tables and whatnot. Also for those of you who aren't familiar with the area, Crestwood Mall is beyond terrible.

1) There are hardly any "mall type stores" in this "quote-unquote-mall". It's mainly weird artsy shops, theaters, dance studios, home-made-craft shops, etc. I think there's still a gamestop, and maybe one or two normal clothing stores, but the rest of it is that weird artsy crap.
2) The foodcourt is in a creepy, dim, windowless basement. Also, the guy who runs the Greek restaurant is a real jerk. He got mad at me when I asked him what a "Jiy-roh" was.
3) Lock your car doors, this is not the nice side of town. I'm not being silly, or exaggerating about this. I have two close friends who have had stuff stolen from their cars in this mall's parking lot because they were nobs and didn't lock their doors. I also hear about break-ins there on the news a lot.

you said:
So mattj, if the mall is crap, what is there to do in Crestwood after I ragequit from triple flinch hax R1?
There are plenty of great places to eat all within very short driving distance. Super Smoker's Barbecue is goooooooood. If you're into musical instruments, there's a Guitar Center only a few hundred yards down the road. The mall does have a decent, if not small theater. There's also a fairly nice bowling alley just a few hundred yards up the road too.

Other than that, I seriously can't think of anything in the immediate area. Grant's Farm is maybe a couple of miles away. If you've got little kids it'd be a nice trip. Petting zoo, that kind of stuff. Another stop for little kids, even younger teens would be the Magic House, which is only a couple of miles away. It's this huuuge enormous mansion filled with all kinds of science-y, learning stuff. There's an enormous electromagnet that you can touch and your hair stands on end. All kinds of neat exhibits.

Anything else and you'll be driving into St. Louis.

Also, just so it's been said. No. You cannot crash at my place.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Keep in mind that after you get triple flinched and lose in R1 you still keep playing for the next few rounds. It's swiss, not elimination.

Edit: Added Hotel Information.

If this is the closest place to New Orleans, I'll be attending (I think it is). Put me down for it in Masters, please.

JRank

Jonny
Looks like we'll be going into St. Louis on Saturday for entertainment from what you say mattj, looks like the best bet. If anyone cares, we'll be staying at this hotel, not the discounted price hotel offered, but it was less than that ($50 a night, although undoubtedly it'll be lower quality than the discounted one, I'm paying for the whole trip so I'll take a slight discomfort if it saves me money).

I love to ramble

ANYWAY, if you're staying there (or decide to make reservations there :D), hit me up so we can meet Saturday; we're leaving at around ~9 Saturday morning, making our ETA 4 PM, hopefully enough time to check out the mall/regional and go into the city for a bit. Maybe we can get some people together and go out to eat?

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
Oh dang man! You're gonna be staying like right next door to the South County Mall (google it)! It's super nice. Very clean. 2 levels. Lots of new stores.

/me reminds himself to give JRank his number next time he's on irc

evan

I did my best -- I have no regrets
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Also for those of you who aren't familiar with the area, Crestwood Mall is beyond terrible.

1) There are hardly any "mall type stores" in this "quote-unquote-mall". It's mainly weird artsy shops, theaters, dance studios, home-made-craft shops, etc. I think there's still a gamestop, and maybe one or two normal clothing stores, but the rest of it is that weird artsy crap.
uh this sounds awesome. sorry you can't go to abercrombie and fitch.

a cursory glance at the mall's website (http://crestwoodcourt.com/Directory.html) shows a bunch of awesome things to do in the mall that people coming for a Pokemon tournament are bound to be interested in. I'm thinking especially of the arcade, anime store, and sci-fi lounge while there's also a movie theatre. There's cool artsy stuff like a paint your own pottery studio and a free-form art studio, art galleries and a fucking live action playhouse. Are you insane?

Eraddd

One Pixel
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
evan you gay?

Edit: K well, I should probably add something of value, so even though evan's post sounded gay, it still seems like a great place for a Smogon hangout. Sci-fi lounge piqued my interest the most.

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
Man, when I was a kid, Crestwood mall was THE mall to go to. It had "Tilt" this huuuuuuge arcade, and like, every cool store you could think of. But now... it's a bunch of dance studios, and nobody goes there anymore. It's weird walking through the mall on a Friday evening and seeing like, 10 people.

Oh, haha, and that arcade. That's not an arcade. It's a pinball shop. x) The guy leaves all of them unplugged and won't let you play them unless you're interested in buying it.

evan

I did my best -- I have no regrets
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
you're right aeropostale and american eagle and hot topic (all found at south county mall!) are much better than cool art shops

you even named a chain arcade. could you have chosen a less interesting place to hype?

JRank

Jonny
I'm there for the Pokemon not the sci-fi stores!!!

Anyway, my friend Brandon (Little Raven here) will likely be in attendance as well, but in Masters because he was born in 96, even though we're in the same grade. (this is basically his "I'm going" post except I'm posting it xD)

Although with my luckskill level, both Dad and Brandon will do better than me, ChokeRank 3 VGC events in a row anyone?

The Overland Park Pokemon League will be bringing a contingent. At least Biffster and myself. Possibly 1-2 more.

So stoked!! (I live about 5 minutes away from here) BTW Crestwood mall used to be a good mall until the manager of it tried to turn it into an all-outside accessible mall. Unfortunately, they made this decision right before the economy went down hill so the project was stopped. Sorry for rambling but the reason I brought all this up is b/c there is no longer a food court (to my knowledge) so bring a snack. There is a couple of snack bars that have sandwiches and stuff but there's not a lot of variety.

See you there!

White F/C: 0304 2936 5796

JRank

Jonny
For those of you who are going please post what division you'll be in (Senior/Master), so I can mark you down!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)