VGC '12 Northeast Regional - Philadelphia, PA - Won by JiveTime & KeepBayleefing!

Status
Not open for further replies.
the multibattle's we had at nationals were so much fun.

<3 team seniors.
This.

Also, let's make Philly as fun as possible! Socially Rhode Island sucked majorly and was my least favorite VGC event I've ever attended despite the tournament running incredibly well. Oh, and my experience at the market last year was miserable when I went for TCG. The line for food was so long my dad had to bring me my food since lunch break ended before we even got it and I had to eat it after the following round... delicious? Yes. Expensive and time consuming? Also yes.

This.

Also, let's make Philly as fun as possible! Socially Rhode Island sucked majorly and was my least favorite VGC event I've ever attended despite the tournament running incredibly well.
I would say that all Smogon people should meet up on Friday or Saturday so we can have as much fun as possible, but only few people are going early for TCG (like me). Anyways, this should be fun and nerve wrecking.

This.

Also, let's make Philly as fun as possible! Socially Rhode Island sucked majorly and was my least favorite VGC event I've ever attended despite the tournament running incredibly well. Oh, and my experience at the market last year was miserable when I went for TCG. The line for food was so long my dad had to bring me my food since lunch break ended before we even got it and I had to eat it after the following round... delicious? Yes. Expensive and time consuming? Also yes.
Can't remember if there even was food at RI.... just a stand selling that old Tropical Collection(I remember getting one as a kid) and still no Noble Victories. I know it hadn't come out yet, but it wouldn't have been impossible to get a few packs to sell. Back at my first VGC in Newark 2010 they just had a small snack stand.... I got an iced cream. I will likely be arriving in Philly between midnight and 6 AM(going their on the way home from another trip) so I will be at the convention center MAD early.

I'll probably be there with my buddy Rukario to tear up the master's division ;D
but I'm gonna need to make a decent team first lol

Would anyone be interested in having an unofficial Multi battle tourny after regionals over lunch or something? I remember doing a little one at the nationals, but my idea was to just get everyone's names, stick them in a hat, and randomly pair people up. It would be nice if someone had a laptop so we could have a Challonge bracket up, but I could throw something together if not. If you're interested let me know.
i'm pretty sure team aaron and their double mushroom strategy was FAR superior to those haxing masters

as a participant in said tournament, i had a blast and it was much fun

i don't know if there's an element to it that makes it EASIER to pull off at nationals when you have all the time in the world buuuuuuuut give it a shot

Was reading the registration times again and CRAAAAAAAAAAAAP that's three hours earlier than last year's registration. I'll have to leave for the 18-minute train ride at like 6 or 7 in the morning to secure my early spot like I did last year. Hopefully then I can meet up with Cyber and Drifblim 'cause they'll be going earlier.

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Last year, attendance at most of the regionals was nowhere the cap, and there's probably going to be even fewer people this year because of the poor advertisement and so on, so I wouldn't be worried about it.

I would say that all Smogon people should meet up on Friday or Saturday so we can have as much fun as possible, but only few people are going early for TCG (like me). Anyways, this should be fun and nerve wrecking.
Yeah! Hopefully my schedule is free for this one like I hope. If it is I would be there on Friday. If I don't then I guess I will have fun with you guys at nats.

Last year, attendance at most of the regionals was nowhere the cap, and there's probably going to be even fewer people this year because of the poor advertisement and so on, so I wouldn't be worried about it.
Yep, this is true, I think we had around 200-300 per division last year. Though it's kind of interesting to note that we actually did fill the maximum of 768 at Newark in 2010. If there's a Regional that would fill the cap, it would be this one, but I highly doubt it after seeing Fall Regionals. There hasn't been any more effort by Pokemon to advertise the VGC events... I really hope they don't turn out as lackluster as RI did :/

Yep, this is true, I think we had around 200-300 per division last year. Though it's kind of interesting to note that we actually did fill the maximum of 768 at Newark in 2010. If there's a Regional that would fill the cap, it would be this one, but I highly doubt it after seeing Fall Regionals. There hasn't been any more effort by Pokemon to advertise the VGC events... I really hope they don't turn out as lackluster as RI did :/
Northeast Regionals are always the biggest turnout.
I remember VGC 2010 Newark when I got there 10 minutes after the registration ended, but they let me in. I saw the line go all the way into the parking garage and was thinking it would take 5 hours.
In VGC 2011 Newark, the line went right before the parking garage. I remember getting there right when Cybertron did.

Really? I got there like 8 minutes after registration closed though... my friend managed to get the last ticket to compete.
Yup. I was the kid behind you or in front. I don't remember. I was also the kid who asked you what team you used outside(right before the entrance door to get inside)

I'll be there early as well, cause im there the whole weekend I believe. Maybe 6:00-8:00 am.

I don't know how many players there will be, but I bet it's not going to be an insane amount since nationals is open to everyone. But if Nintendo did advertise vgc's with,say, a commercial, they would probably have to have a pretty big attendance limit of maybe 1200 or so. I think they should have a big one this year for philly just in case.

edit: okay maybe not 1200, but I bet a lot more people would attend, maybe around 400.

I think I was around #600 in 2010(that was a long ass line) and 300 exactly in 2011. I showed up a good deal earlier in 2011 tho.... some Master a spot ahead of me for some reason I remember had an Eelektross and a Hydreigon. meh

I'll be there early as well, cause im there the whole weekend I believe. Maybe 6:00-8:00 am.

I don't know how many players there will be, but I bet it's not going to be an insane amount since nationals is open to everyone. But if Nintendo did advertise vgc's with,say, a commercial, they would probably have to have a pretty big attendance limit of maybe 1200 or so. I think they should have a big one this year for pilly just in case.
sorry to double post but a few things wrong with this....

They aren't going to waste the money to have commercials, it's not like they make any real extra money from VGCs.

1200 attendance limit is freaking obscene. They might as well not have one at all at that point. As has been said, they aren't advertising enough to match the previous year's numbers, which never even got that high. Attendance limit of 200ish or even less is perfectly fine at the moment

Northeast Regionals are always the biggest turnout.
I remember VGC 2010 Newark when I got there 10 minutes after the registration ended, but they let me in. I saw the line go all the way into the parking garage and was thinking it would take 5 hours.
In VGC 2011 Newark, the line went right before the parking garage. I remember getting there right when Cybertron did.
One of my friends, who recently quit pokemon, had gone to the Newark 2010 to compete for the first time ever but they cut the line off right in front of them. It sucked because they had a 3.5 hour drive there and then another back and all he got was a shiny eevee and a bag. His mom was really pissed off.

While were talking about attendance, I would remind everybody that in November it was hard to find a regional with more than 50 people in any division. RI didn't even have 10 juniors. Philly is obviously going to have more than that, but I wouldn't expect a large turnout just because this is the biggest regional. Certainly bigger than November, but I think 100 people is going to be the max.

iss

let's play bw lc!
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Mike Liesik told us at Rhode Island that they'd be doing a bit more promotion for the spring regionals. That probably means more promotion on Pokemon's official site and social networking outlets.

Mike Liesik told us at Rhode Island that they'd be doing a bit more promotion for the spring regionals. That probably means more promotion on Pokemon's official site and social networking outlets.
Yeah, it's pretty depressing to not even have a dedicated VGC page on the website like they did last year with pictures, videos, etc. It all seems very bland and secretive this year.

BlueCookies

April Fools 2009 Participant
VGC '10, '11, '12 Masters Champion
While were talking about attendance, I would remind everybody that in November it was hard to find a regional with more than 50 people in any division. RI didn't even have 10 juniors. Philly is obviously going to have more than that, but I wouldn't expect a large turnout just because this is the biggest regional. Certainly bigger than November, but I think 100 people is going to be the max.
if they even remotely advertise it there will be a lot more than 100 people there

Yeah, it's pretty depressing to not even have a dedicated VGC page on the website like they did last year with pictures, videos, etc. It all seems very bland and secretive this year.
showing teams this year would be be interesting compared to last. VGC 2011 teams tended to be extremely repetitive, and while it was interesting to see teams it only showed how bland that metagame was. And they stopped posting the 2012 Fall Regional winning teams.... even more meh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)