VGC '12 World Championships - Kona, HI, USA - WON by BlueCookies & Dimsun!

Status
Not open for further replies.
No more choking this time!

jrank edit: i wish i'd been able to choke at worlds, have to settle for doing it in every seniors event instead

COUNT ME IN! I will be attending LCQ as TPCi doesn't think top 8 in the USA don't even deserve invites anymore. Don't mean to sound butthurt, but it's a little bit ridiculous :/

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
I want to LCQ, but naturally I will need to borrow someone's DS. Oh, and a team as well.

My prediction, TOP 8, in the worlds championship master (Hawaii):

-Ray Rizzo (US)

-Wolfey (US)

-Matteo Gini (IT)

-Kasty (ES)

-Donsteve (ES)

-Picollo (DE)

-Mahrla (DE)

-Junbei Yamamoto (JP)

Solace

royal flush
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
oh my god scholarships yessssssssss

I guess we really are trying to get on the same system as TCG, which is really fantastic. Winning worlds and getting a $3,500 scholarship is amazing. It looks like the trip to Japan or wherever is out, but tbh I think the scholarships are better since I remember hearing people had trouble with the airline being cheap about traveling or something.

Good to see we're getting some serious prizes now!

That scholarship looks really nice. Certainly raises the stakes quite a bit.
Uhhh what rofl

The trip to japan was worth over $5000 on its own. They've even removed the consoles this time, after downgrading them last year.

As for the trouble with the holidays, that wasn't with the airline, it was with TPCI claiming that the prize was only part of the money towards a holiday when it wasn't.

So no, these prizes are awful, we've been downsized again and Europeans especially have been shat on from a great height.

Do you know how much $3500 pays for at a British university? It doesn't even cover 2 months of tuition fees. Some Europeans don't even have to pay for university, so it's pretty much $3500 of nothing. Unless there's some way to make the money useful, it's an awful prize for people not in tertiary education.

This is our World Championships grand prize. TCG US nationals has $5000 lol that's ridiculous. Bit of proportion, please? But whatever, I'm not surprised. The only reason I still play competitive Pokémon is that I'm really good at it. And it's a lot of fun just showing up.

Uhhh what rofl

The trip to japan was worth over $5000 on its own. They've even removed the consoles this time, after downgrading them last year.

As for the trouble with the holidays, that wasn't with the airline, it was with TPCI claiming that the prize was only part of the money towards a holiday when it wasn't.

So no, these prizes are awful, we've been downsized again and Europeans especially have been shat on from a great height.

Do you know how much $3500 pays for at a British university? It doesn't even cover 2 months of tuition fees. Some Europeans don't even have to pay for university, so it's pretty much $3500 of nothing. Unless there's some way to make the money useful, it's an awful prize for people not in tertiary education.

This is our World Championships grand prize. TCG US nationals has $5000 lol that's ridiculous. Bit of proportion, please? But whatever, I'm not surprised. The only reason I still play competitive Pokémon is that I'm really good at it. And it's a lot of fun just showing up.
Yeah...I basically agree.
The vacation trip for the winner was better...the good thing is that now also the 2nd wins a scolarship award, and 3rd and 4th have their trophy.
A world invite and trip also for top4 (like in TCG) would have been nice this year).

Right. But I'm under the impression that the VGC will also move over to the Play! Point system. That requirement above just isn't thought out too well...

Caveat: I'm assuming that by "passport", we are referring to actual passports you get from your national government and not some gameplay passport that TPC made up. I could be totally wrong though.

1. Get Japanese/Korean citizenship.
2. ???
3. Profit!

Ok, so it isn't that easy, but the lack of uniform rules makes things really awkward for players. By that rule above, Japanese/Korean players wouldn't even have had to play any other competition before attending LCQ.

I hope that this sort of rule will be changed next year and not implemented in VGC, because it makes no competitive sense. (Ok, so lots of rules about VGC make no competitive sense, but let's just ignore that discussion for now).

Anyways, good luck to all competitors!

Uhhh what rofl

Oh, well, I wouldn't know how much it's worth at a collage. I was just thinking anything to help with that would be good. I wish they would give out 3DS' again this year though. I'm still super excited for worlds, but when you put it in perspective like that it isn't much. Maybe they'll have better prizes next year :/.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)