VGC 15 Benchmark Compendium

Status
Not open for further replies.
Approved by lucariojr

Format and OP stolen from Audiosurfer's DOU thread

VGC 15 Benchmark Compendium
It is a well-known fact that EVing your Pokemon can be essential to a team's success in the VGC metagame. However, many people may find it daunting to attempt to keep track of the many different benchmarks there are in the VGC metagame, and will thus resort to inferior 252/252 spreads as opposed to finding spreads that will best fit their team. This thread's goal is to provide an easy to access list of benchmarks to make it easier to calculate spreads for your Pokemon. In addition to the Speed benchmarks, there is a list of important offensive and defensive benchmarks to consider when EVing that is available below. Sadly, this list is likely missing things, so if you feel that there is an important benchmark being left out, be sure to mention it. This damage calculator from Nugget Bridge is preferred when calculating for VGC, since it automatically levels your Pokemon to level 50, and sets the format to Doubles so it also automatically calculates spread damage.

Speed Tiers:
Format: Speed / Pokemon / Base Speed / Nature (+Spe, -Spe, or Neutral) / EV Investment / Boost
* - An asterisk next to the nature indicates that the Pokemon has 0 Speed IVs
(-M) - This at the end of a Pokemon's name indicates that it is the Mega form

Tier 1-With boosts (from either Tailwind, weather, or Choice Scarf)

280 / Excadrill / 88 / Neutral / 252 / 2
264 / Venusaur / 80 / Neutral / 252 / 2
244 / Ludicolo / 70 / Neutral / 252 / 2
225 / Hydreigon / 98 / Neutral / 252 / 1
217 / Mamoswine / 80 / +Spe / 252 / 1
214 / Landorus-T / 91 / Neutral / 252 / 1

Tier 2-No boosts

200 / Gengar-Mega / 130 / +Spe / 252 / 0
189 / Salamence-Mega / 120 / +Spe / 252 / 0
178 / Metagross-Mega, Gengar, Raichu / 110 / +Spe / 252 / 0
179 / Thundurus-Incarnate, Tornadus-Incarnate / 111 / +Spe / 252 / 0
176 / Terrakion, Virizion, Infernape / 108 / +Spe / 252 / 0
167 / Kangaskhan-M, Charizard-M Y, Gardevoir-M / 100 / +Spe / 252 / 0
152 / Kangaskhan-M, Charizard-M Y, Gardevoir-M / 100 / Neutral / 252 / 0
150 / Hydreigon / 98 / Neutral / 252 / 0
143 / Landorus-T / 91 / Neutral / 252 / 0
141 / Heatran / 77 / +Spe / 252 / 0
139 / Smeargle / 75 / +Spe / 252 / 0
134 / Breloom / 70 / +Spe / 252 / 0
122 / Bisharp / 70 / Neutral / 252 / 0
98 / Heatran / 77 / Neutral / 4 / 0
81 / Jellicent, Aegislash, Sylveon / 60 / Neutral / 4 / 0

Tier 3-Trick Room

*58 / Jellicent, Aegislash, Sylveon / 60 / -Spe / 0 / 0
*56 / Scrafty / 58 / -Spe / 0 / 0
*45 / Conkeldurr / 45 / -Spe / 0 / 0
*31 / Amoonguss, Abomasnow-M / 30 / -Spe / 0 / 0
*22 / Escavalier, Camerupt-M / 20 / -Spe / 0 / 0

Defensive Benchmark (Opposing Pokemon's moves you want to tank)
- Always assume 252 EVs in the offensive stat, unless stated otherwise
+ - Uses a nature which boosts the stat (Adamant, Modest, etc.)

Physical:
  • +Landorus-T Earthquake
  • +Landorus-T Rock Slide
  • Salamence-M Double-Edge
  • +Kangaskhan-M Double-Edge
  • +Kangaskhan-M Return
  • +Kangaskhan-M Return+Fake Out
  • +Mawile-M Play Rough
  • +Mawile-M Iron Head
  • +Excadrill Life Orb Earthquake
  • +Excadrill Life Orb Iron Head
  • +Bisharp Life Orb Sucker Punch
  • Tyranitar Rock Slide
  • Tyranitar Crunch
Special:
  • +Choice Specs Sylveon Pixilate Hyper Voice
  • +Gardevoir-M Psychic
  • +Charizard-M Y Heat Wave
  • +Charizard-M Y Overheat
  • +Ludicolo Scald in rain
  • +Hydreigon Choice Specs Draco Meteor
  • Salamence-M Hyper Voice
  • +Aegislash Life Orb Shadow Ball
  • +Aegislash Life Orb Flash Cannon
  • Thundurus Life Orb Thunderbolt
  • Thundurus Life Orb HP Ice

Offensive Benchmark (Opposing Pokemon you want to inflict damage / KO)
* - Indicates that you should consider accounting for Intimidate drops if calcing physical attacks

• 4 HP Landorus-T
  • *4 HP Salamence-M
  • 4 HP Kangaskhan-M
  • 252 HP 252 +Def Amoonguss
  • 252 HP Sylveon
  • 4 HP Charizard-M Y
  • 252 HP 44 Def 148 +SpDef Rotom-W
  • 252 HP Cresselia
  • 252 HP Heatran
  • 252 HP Zapdos
  • 252 HP 120 Def 68 +SpDef Thundurus
  • 252 HP Politoed

Last edited:

Demantoid

APMS Founder
is a Top Tiering Contributor
I would add Mega Kangaskhan Return Low Kick and Double Edge, Lando-t Rock Slide and Superpower, 100 SpA Suicune Ice Beam (I know Suicune itself isn't as common but around that investment is common on a lot of Pokemon with Ice Beam), LO Aegislash and regular Aegislash Shadow Ball and Flash Cannon, Scald from Ludicolo in rain, Charizard Y's Overheat, Specs Dark Pulse and Draco from Hydreigon, and Thundurus' Thumderbolt and HP Ice.

For offensive benchmarks 4 hp Kangaskhan and some type of Sylveon and Amoonguss.

I believe ProjectTitan313 had made a speed tier list already so you can take stuff off there.

I'll add that later but this is currently very empty due to being in a WIP, but I appreciate the suggestions

Benchmark time!
Defensive:
Special:
- + Life Orb Draco Meteor of Hydreigon
- + Specs Draco Meteor of Hydreigon
Physical:
- + Kangaskhan everything.
- 4 Atk Double Edge from MegaMence.

Offensive:
- 4 HP MegaGross
- 4 HP Zard Y
- 252 HP / 44 Def / 148+ SpDef WashTom

There's a lot of attack you should aim for, but i'll try to help as much as i can.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll just say right now that I will not include a lot of stuff that is coverage for specific targets, almost only STAB attacks, since it feels silly to list Lando-T Superpower when almost only Kang is afraid of it

Mishimono

mish mish
is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Past SCL Champion
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll just say right now that I will not include a lot of stuff that is coverage for specific targets, almost only STAB attacks, since it feels silly to list Lando-T Superpower when almost only Kang is afraid of it
I think you should add
Physical Defensive: +Bisharp LO Iron Head
+Bisharp LO Knock Off

Last edited:
Sorry for going really pc++, but I'll just say that I won't add every variant of every viable Pokemon to this list, I want to keep it kind if limited to not make it an intimidating, massive wall of stuff. Kangaskhan is like one of the only Pokemon that will get several mentions due to both Adamant and Jolly and Double-Edge or Return being popular and there being many combinations of these, and Kang is like the most popular Pokemon, and one of the big things to EV for with semi-bulky attackers. I won't really do anything else than Specs and maybe LO Draco from somethnig like Hydreigon, since it is not that relevant at this point in the meta. Just a heads up before people start talking about stuff like LO or Band Landorus-T.

Speed tiers are in my sig; its all level 50. You should be able to hover over headers and get a description of everything; if anything's confusing let me know. Just have to translate base Speed -> actual mon really.
Also, MegaMence's Hyper Voice, and its always good to know how much you can do against Cress and 252 HP Heatran.

Defensive:

Physical:

- LO +Excadrill's Earthquake + Iron Head
- +Mega Mawile's Play Rough + Iron Head

Special:

-Gengar's Shadow Ball + Sludge Bomb

I think you should add +Landorus Rock Slide(wich is more used than earhquake), +M-Gardevoir Pixilate Hyper Voice, +Bisharp LO Sucker Punch (that's very important becasue it's a priority move) and 252 Thundurus LO Thunderbolt and HP ice as a main moves very common

Voltage

OTTN5
is a Pre-Contributor
Just a few things I really like to prep for:

Physical Benchmark:
+ M-Tyranitar Rock Slide +1

Special Benchmark:
Neutral Thundurus' Thunderbolt + HP Ice
+ M-Salamence's Draco Meteor

Last edited:
Just a few things I really like to prep for:

Physical Benchmark:
+ M-Tyranitar Rock Slide +1

Special Benchmark:
+ Thundurus' Thunderbolt + HP Ice
+ M-Salamence's Draco Meteor
is modest Thundurus enough common to list it?? I agree with you on list modest M-Salamence, is the more common nature for the special attacker

is modest Thundurus enough common to list it?? I agree with you on list modest M-Salamence, is the more common nature for the special attacker
Unless Modest Mega Mence actually IS rising in popularity without me knowing it, idk how I feel about it using a neutral speed nature. It hinders your matchup against opposing Mega Mence tremendously due to the fact you no longer speed tie with them. Essentially, you would have at least had a 50/50 chance to win a 1v1 situation, where now you'll either get OHKOd or take serious, unnecessary damage before you get an attack off, which can potentially put you in KO range from one of the opponent's other mons.

Okay so I feel quite comfortable with the defensive and offensive benchmark sections now, and I'll get working on speed tiers. I won't include every single Pokemon in existense in the speed tiers, I will just do as the thread title suggests and include important benchmarks for speed as well (stuff like min speed Aegislash, Jolly Breloom, Jolly Kangakshan, etc.)

Mishimono

mish mish
is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Past SCL Champion
Here for speed tiers add these
58 / Aegislash / 60 / *-Spe / 0 / 0
143 / Landorus-T / 91 / Neutral / 252 / 2

Sorry for kinda necroing this, I forgot about this for a while but now I feel comfortable enough with this to call it not wip. Still feel free to come with suggestions

Y'all forgetting little dear Smeargle: That thing is something to watch out when speed tiering.

In the format you mention, it should be like this:

Also, there are a lot of fast mons forgotten here, like these ones:

Add for boosted ones every relevant Mega Evolution under Tailwind, and adding some bulkier mons such as 4 Spe Milotic and 4 Spe Washtom are also nice speed creeping benchmarks a lot of VGC players aim for. Well, that's it! I'll try to look for some more mons to add later.

If I can wrestle my ginger soul from Fallout 4 and work sometime this week, I'll just manually comb my spreadsheet and post the more relevent Speed numbers here in your format.
Mine, you have to have Base Speed's memorized and even then I have shit like 252 Speed Timid Magmortar in there so it's not user-freindly for anyone but me, tbh :/

I'm off on Tuesday, so might do it then or maybe this Sunday after work.

Y'all forgetting little dear Smeargle: That thing is something to watch out when speed tiering.

In the format you mention, it should be like this:

Also, there are a lot of fast mons forgotten here, like these ones:

Add for boosted ones every relevant Mega Evolution under Tailwind, and adding some bulkier mons such as 4 Spe Milotic and 4 Spe Washtom are also nice speed creeping benchmarks a lot of VGC players aim for. Well, that's it! I'll try to look for some more mons to add later.
I knew I had forgotten.....a lot. Thanks for the help :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)