Resource VGC 16: Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I prefer Quick Guard on most of my teams to stop things like opposing Talonflame's Brave Bird and Rayquaza Extreme Speed but if you feel you are really weak to Trick Room Taunt can be useful.
Thank you anyway! The tournament was on Saturday and it was my first regional. I finished top 4 and so did my friend which we were both very pleased with. PS: I went quick guard and would recommend it for almost all situations as oppose to taunt

Probably a silly question, but does Sp Atk affect Eruption or is it just based on remaining HP? Seeing a lot of P.Dons lately with both eruption and p.blade and they seem to be on the fast-physical end.

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
Probably a silly question, but does Sp Atk affect Eruption or is it just based on remaining HP? Seeing a lot of P.Dons lately with both eruption and p.blade and they seem to be on the fast-physical end.
It uses SpA EVs, IVs, nature, and stat changes just like any other special attack.

It still hits hard even with 0 SpA EVs because it's coming off of 150 SpA, has 150 base power, and gets boosts from both STAB and sun.

Any body has any idea about the spread on Arash's Yveltal for his Germany winning team, is it jolly max speed?
I would use this:
4 HP / 252 Atk / 20 Def / 4 SpD / 228 Spe (Jolly)
(Holding Life Orb)
- Survives Dragon Ascent from standard LO mega rayquaza
- Outspeeds max speed base 95s
- OHKOs 4 HP (252 Atk) mega rayquaza with Life Orb foul Play

What with the meta revolving around heavy special attackers, is there any reason to run Relaxed Ferrothorn over Sassy?

Demantoid

APMS Founder
is a Top Tiering Contributor
What with the meta revolving around heavy special attackers, is there any reason to run Relaxed Ferrothorn over Sassy?
Not unless you want to make Kang's Low Kick a 3hko after 2 leftovers and Leech seeds, but that takes a lot of investment and not as useful as being more specially defensive. It also might be possible to make P-Blades a 4hko with leftovers. I think it would be better to just try and fit Intimidate on the team though.

Hey so I was wondering why the Birds and the Beasts are allowed in VGC and all the other legendaries are not. Can someone explain please?
Pokemon such as Mew, Celebi, Jirachi etc... are banned because they're classed as "Mythical Pokemon". Which means that they, conventionally, can only be obtained from events. The idea is speculated to be that one competitor shouldn't have a massive advantage over another because they have access to different events.

And in regards to both the cited trios: both are catchable in-game and don't have a higher base stat total than other breedable Pokemon, such as Hydreigon or Tyranitar, and so there's little that differenciates them other than the arbritary title of "legend".

Darkmalice

Level 3
is a Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Question regarding Worry Seed when both Primals are on field at the same time?

Say Primal Groudon and Primal Kyogre are out at the same time. Desolate Land / sunlight is currently active. Worry Seed is then used on Primal Kyogre, and the rain disappears. Does Desolate Land / sunlight then reactivate, or does no weather reappear?

The primal weather abilities only activate when they're fresh. Essentially they'll only activate when a regular weather ability (or intimidate) would activate.
If worry seeded in that situation you'll end up with no weather.
However if there's 2 pokemon with Desolate Land on the field and it's the active weather, removing 1 of them won't remove the weather even if the remaining one wasn't the one to activate the weather.

What's the best option on mence nowadays? Draco meteor, tailwind, or substitute and why?
I'm assuming you have hyper voice, double edge, and protect as your other moves. It really comes down to what you have mence doing and what your teams needs.

If you lack speed control, tailwind can really help your slower mons out in a pinch.

If you want salamence to lure in and get the jump on the primals, xerneas, smeargle, and whatnot, having a substitute helps put you at an advantage.

Draco is there for some meaty damage on the like of any dragon barring dialga and can also help you grab kos when hyper voice cant because of the spread damage.

Can anyone recommend a decent EV spread/Nature for a Cresselia in a non-TR team? I'm just kind of winging it with 252 HP / 128 Def / 128 SDef / 4 Spd at the moment...

Can anyone recommend a decent EV spread/Nature for a Cresselia in a non-TR team? I'm just kind of winging it with 252 HP / 128 Def / 128 SDef / 4 Spd at the moment...
The recommended EV spreads are essentially the same regardless of Trick Room. 244 HP / 108 Def / 156 SpD with a Calm nature is nice with Sitrus Berry to make Jolly Mega Kangaskhan's Double-Edge and Modest Primal Groudon's Eruption a 3HKO. If you're not using Sitrus Berry, you can try 252 HP / 156 Def / 100 SpD, again, with a Calm nature, which survives a Helping Hand-boosted Dragon Ascent from Life Orb Mega Rayquaza. If Cresselia is paired with a slower Primal you can shift bulk EVs into Speed to make Cresselia 1 point faster than them to Skill Swap prior to their moving. There's also the possibility of outspeeding base 100s after an Icy Wind.

Last edited:
besides PK and ray, what else can threaten PG??

is cloud nine focus sash gimmick good enough to kill PG??

i am looking for a check/couter to PG that's not a primal or ray/mega ray.

besides PK and ray, what else can threaten PG??

is cloud nine focus sash gimmick good enough to kill PG??

i am looking for a check/couter to PG that's not a primal or ray/mega ray.
Landorus-T is generally the top non-restricted answer. Golduck is balls, wouldn't suggest. Lando-I can OHKO offensive Pdon variants, but isn't particularly bulky or reliable. Without Sheer Force it's largely inferior to its Therian form.

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
without Ogre/Ray your options are a bit limited. Without getting into obscure options (Flygon, Giratina-O, Ho-Oh, etc), some options include:

Mega Salamence is probably one of your most reliable checks. Intimidate can help nullify physical groudon. Special Groudon is also not very threatening if its Eruption has been weakened.

The other common answer is Skill Swapping levitate onto your own Groudon, but that requires some maneuvering and isn't straightforward. Gengar can do this quickly due to its base 110 speed, but Cresselia will require Speed control (thankfully it has the bulk to do so)

Yveltal, Kyurem-W, Landorus-T and Kangaskhan can pressure Groudon fairly hard.

gosh PG really is annoying isn't it
i have such a hate/love relationship with it. fun to use it and hate facing it.

how well can mega mom and mega mawile chip PG??

what about garchomp??

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Mega Kang: Decent, can often win 1v1
Mega Mawile: Loses very hard and can only chunk it for ~30% with Sucker Punch
Garchomp sucks

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
Strong special moves can also work pretty well, due to primal groudon's lower base 90 SpD.
Yveltal can also chunk it for >50% with foul play, although it doesn't like groudon's fire or rock moves very much, and hates going against groudon's biggest partner in crime, Xerneas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)