Resource VGC '16 Teambuilding Frameworks

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with you,they should be separate frameworks :) yveltal+something different than groudon I feel needs something different in the team building phase.

Okay cool, i will try to upload it tonight

Can i just say that this thread has turned out to be so much better than i expected it to be, so a massive thanks to everyone who has contributed so far :)

I noted just now something:in the groudon/yveltal frameworks all the mons in the fifth slot are all talonflames and crobats.So can we suppose that is a slot for speed control+fairy resistance (and ground immunity as well I think).
Cresselia can also work really well for all the things listed above (doesn't have fairy resistance but has huge special bulk so is fine).
Hope this can be useful!
Also,thank you too :)

I noted just now something:in the groudon/yveltal frameworks all the mons in the fifth slot are all talonflames and crobats.So can we suppose that is a slot for speed control+fairy resistance (and ground immunity as well I think).
Cresselia can also work really well for all the things listed above (doesn't have fairy resistance but has huge special bulk so is fine).
Hope this can be useful!
Also,thank you too :)
I will mention that in the descriptions :)
And no problem, it has been a pleasure learning new stuff about vgc

Note that you can also run a Semi Trick Room option with a Kanga Groudon Cress (and Mawile is fine too and Scizor as well even as a secondary mega thanks to the great bulk and typing+priority).You can also use amoonguss for checking both Kyogre and Xerneas so that you can make a free slot for something else (other Xerneas check,other support,whatever you need).
Pyritie did a good job in pointing out a TR counter in the 6th slot but I wanted to point out the Semi TR and the Amoonguss thing,also for adding more flexibility both in the framework and in the teambuilding phase.
btw did you have a sample team in mind when you were talking about a semi TR mode?
i.e: Groudon/Yveltal/Kangaskhan/Amoonguss/Cresselia/_______*
*Crobat/Talonflame/Thundurus?

Last edited:
I will mention that in the descriptions :)
And no problem, it has been a pleasure learning new stuff about vgc

btw did you have a sample team in mind when you were talking about a semi TR mode?
i.e: Groudon/Yveltal/Kangaskhan/Amoonguss/Cresselia/_______*
*Crobat/Talonflame/Thundurus?
Yes,exactly,while I was reading your idea of framework for this kind of teams a initial team of Groudon/Yveltal/Cresselia/Amoonguss/Kangaskhan-Mega/Filler was the first thing that came to my mind.I think that one of Crobat/Talonflame would be the best for the 6th slot since they fill the requirement of Fairy resistance+Ground Immunity Speed Controller (I tend more towards Talonflame actually since we have Amoonguss and Cresselia that are not too much offensive).
Is this that you had in mind?For Cresselia I actually thought about possible Gravity shenanigans with Groudon and Precipice Blades,but is completely a choice of the player.Anyway,my ideal version of the team would be Groudon/Yveltal/Kangaskhan-Mega/Cresselia/Amoonguss/Talonflame.
Can be helpful this? :D

Thanks to RevRush, we now have importable versions of all the american top cut teams
Mr.Hiei i hope this answers your question, sorry it's been so long since you've asked

btw i've hit 100 likes, so thanks so much for appreciating my content everyone :))

Do you guys know if there have been any new archetypes worth noting from any of the recent midseason showdowns?
In any case, keep the frameworks coming and thanks for all the input from you all so far :)

I am trying out ray/ho-oh (Jon Hu) and tried gira-o / kyogre (1900 on battle spot and a strong showing in an IC). Im close to making decent teams lol, but i dont think i can suggest a frame work fir either

I am trying out ray/ho-oh (Jon Hu) and tried gira-o / kyogre (1900 on battle spot and a strong showing in an IC). Im close to making decent teams lol, but i dont think i can suggest a frame work fir either
Okay cool :) gira/kyogre sounds fun, and hopefully we see some good new teams at nats

What about Mega Gardevoir+Double Primal? Seemed a popular choice in the Philippines MSS and I read also about it during the Innsbruck regional.
Maybe is a way for Double Primal teams for fighting Dark Spam,idk.

What about Mega Gardevoir+Double Primal? Seemed a popular choice in the Philippines MSS and I read also about it during the Innsbruck regional.
Maybe is a way for Double Primal teams for fighting Dark Spam,idk.
Sounds interesting :)
Ive been experimenting with mega metagross+crobat as opposed to mega gengar+crobat and it works quite well, ill have a look into gardervoir + dptr tho

Sounds interesting :)
Ive been experimenting with mega metagross+crobat as opposed to mega gengar+crobat and it works quite well, ill have a look into gardervoir + dptr tho
As for now I only remember that in all the team I saw the framework was something like Kyogre/Groudon/Gardevoir-Mega/Speed control for a fast mode (Tailwind/Thunder Wave)/two fillers (I imagine for checking the big 4)
Explain me please about MegaGross+Crobat, I am really interested in it :)

I realise mega metagross is pretty outclassed by mega gengar's trapping ability etc, it's just kind of a more rounded approach to the core, given mega gengar's frailty and just a bit of fun really, since i really like mega metagross' design.
Basically here's what i would run:

Metagross-Mega @ Metagrossite
Ability: Tough Claws
Level: 50
EVs: 44 HP / 244 Atk / 44 Def / 4 SpD / 172 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Ice Punch
- Substitute
- Protect

First spread is designed around substitute, can set up two subs in the face of adamant kang's sucker punch, 44 HP gives a sub number so i can set up max no. substitutes, speed allows me to outpace max speed xerneas with the rest in Atk. Ice punch for mega salamence/rayquaza/landorus-t

Crobat @ Lum Berry
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 68 HP / 188 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Super Fang
- Taunt
- Tailwind
- Quick Guard

Same set as with gengar, not much to see here as you probably know what the EVs do, given that i've used them a tonne (survives +2 moonblast from xerneas / double-edge from kangaskhan)

Here's the theory:
  • Essentially with gengar crobat, you need something to stop smeargle and something to OHKO xerneas
  • Metagross can OHKO xerneas with iron head, sub can block dark voids etc
  • Crobat can taunt smeargle and super fang xerneas as well as get a tailwind up
  • T1: Protect + Taunt Smeargle
  • T2: Iron Head + Super Fang Xerneas
Here's a sample team (+RayOgre):
http://pastebin.com/rEQLPJhh

Last edited:
I realise mega metagross is pretty outclassed by mega gengar's trapping ability etc, it's just kind of a more rounded approach to the core, given mega gengar's frailty and just a bit of fun really, since i really like mega metagross' design.
Basically here's what i would run:

Metagross-Mega @ Metagrossite
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 44 HP / 244 Atk / 44 Def / 4 SpD / 172 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Ice Punch
- Substitute
- Protect

First spread is designed around substitute, can set up two subs in the face of adamant kang's sucker punch, 44 HP gives a sub number so i can set up max no. substitutes, speed allows me to outpace max speed xerneas with the rest in Atk. Ice punch for mega salamence/rayquaza/landorus-t

Crobat @ Lum Berry
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 68 HP / 188 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Super Fang
- Taunt
- Tailwind
- Quick Guard

Same set as with gengar, not much to see here as you probably know what the EVs do, given that i've used them a tonne (survives +2 moonblast from xerneas / double-edge from kangaskhan)

Here's the theory:
  • Essentially with gengar crobat, you need something to stop smeargle and something to OHKO xerneas
  • Metagross can OHKO xerneas with iron head, sub can block dark voids etc
  • Crobat can taunt smeargle and super fang xerneas as well as get a tailwind up
  • T1: Protect + Taunt Smeargle
  • T2: Iron Head + Super Fang Xerneas
Here's a sample team (+RayOgre):
http://pastebin.com/rEQLPJhh
Absolutely brilliant imo,nothing to say.

Ok,I've got a couple of Mega Garde+Double Primal teams:
,this is from the Innsbruck regional.
The other two are from the PKMN-PH VGC 2016 Monthly Tournament,and are:
-Groudon/Kyogre/Gengar/Crobat/Gardevoir-Mega/Kangaskhan-Mega
-Groudon/Kyogre/Thundurus-I/Landorus-T/Gardevoir-Mega/Ferrothorn.

A couple decent teams that i found:
Belgium 1st. Christoph Kugeler:

Anaheim 5th. Alvin Mo:

Sardus21's Team:

Christopher Arthur (SQSA):

Other variations from SQSA:

Some common patterns for support mons:

- Intimidate is pretty apparent on all teams, with 2 forms of intimidate on most teams
- Electric weakness is something a lot of these teams aim to patch up, most have a lightningrod mon or a ground type to cover this weakness
- All teams have a steel type check to xerneas, either in the form of mawile or ferrothorn, although most teams do carry a secondary answer to it (gengar or crobat mostly)
- A few of these teams also support the dark spam framework, namely sardus21's team and alvin mo's team
- An opposing kyogre check looks extremely necessary on these teams, as most include something specifically for it, like raichu, manectric, arcanine (CB wild charge) and ferrothorn
- Speed Control seems pretty mandatory for this archetype (as it should be for all teams), so since both restricted legends are relatively in the medium speed tier (90-99), both Tailwind and TR are seen on these teams
- There isn't a defined slot for groudon check since both restricted legends cover most groudon sets, but the support can still be appreciated

Possible Framework:

Yveltal/Kyogre+
3 - Mega (intimidate/xerneas/kyogre check)
4 - Kyogre Check (Ferrothorn/raichu/arcanine etc)
5 - Xerneas Check/Speed Control (Crobat/Bronzong/Gengar etc)
6 - Necessary Support (Intimidate/Fake Out/Dark Aura 'Abuser')

Can you guys spot anything else?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)