Resource VGC: Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer

Theres this singles 3x3 tournament in VGC next weekend and I would like to participate but Im terrible at team building. I really, really want to use a special Celesteela with Autotomize/Flamethrower/Flash Cannon/??? (Air Slash, Giga Drain or Protect maybe) to have some advantage over other UBs like Buzzwole, Pheromosa and other physical Celesteela (where they have no SpA investment to make a good use of Flamethrower/Fire Blast resulting in 3/4HKO and most likely no Flame Charge) which I think will be very common.

My problem is that I have no clue on a good EV spread and nature (was plaining on sassy, 252hp, 252spa, 4 spd) and not sure about the last move slot. Air Slash would deal with the UBs as well as Flamethrower.

Also I need a good partner to deal with the Tapus and Poison Jab Garchomp came to mind (EQ/Poison Jab/Dragon Claw, not sure on last slot again; Rock Slide/Stone Edge/Protect probably). Would it be a good partner or theres someone else who can do the job better? I know Flash Cannon Celesteela can do this job but I wouldnt mind a good fast mon who doesnt needs setup and can deal with them as well (if not better).

Thanks in advance.

Theres this singles 3x3 tournament in VGC next weekend and I would like to participate but Im terrible at team building. I really, really want to use a special Celesteela with Autotomize/Flamethrower/Flash Cannon/??? (Air Slash, Giga Drain or Protect maybe) to have some advantage over other UBs like Buzzwole, Pheromosa and other physical Celesteela (where they have no SpA investment to make a good use of Flamethrower/Fire Blast resulting in 3/4HKO and most likely no Flame Charge) which I think will be very common.

My problem is that I have no clue on a good EV spread and nature (was plaining on sassy, 252hp, 252spa, 4 spd) and not sure about the last move slot. Air Slash would deal with the UBs as well as Flamethrower.

Also I need a good partner to deal with the Tapus and Poison Jab Garchomp came to mind (EQ/Poison Jab/Dragon Claw, not sure on last slot again; Rock Slide/Stone Edge/Protect probably). Would it be a good partner or theres someone else who can do the job better? I know Flash Cannon Celesteela can do this job but I wouldnt mind a good fast mon who doesnt needs setup and can deal with them as well (if not better).

Thanks in advance.
Singles 3v3 sounds like Battle Spot singles. You should ask in the battle spot subforum, you'll get more responses there.

Hi guys, I´ve been thinking about the combo Sylveon+Oranguru, with Sylveon using Round and Oranguru Instruct, but I should need a good EV spread in order to be ready for this new meta, any suggestions? Best partners for this core?

Thanks

Am I correct in thinking that when Bank comes out regular form Dugtrio will be legal in VGC17 but until then it is only Alola Dugtrio?

What's going to be a good set for Krookodile at this vgc? I'm using intimidate to help out with my Gastrodons poor defense until it can start stacking curses, I just don't know what moves to carry or EVs/nature to run

Only pokemon in the Alolan dex are legal, and regular dug trio is not in the Alolan dex
Actually, if you go to his page in the Pokedex and hit left/right, it will switch between the two forms, and they have the same Alolan Pokedex number of 072.

For this reason, I don't think it's too crazy to expect non-Alolan forms to be legal once Bank releases.

Actually, if you go to his page in the Pokedex and hit left/right, it will switch between the two forms, and they have the same Alolan Pokedex number of 072.

For this reason, I don't think it's too crazy to expect non-Alolan forms to be legal once Bank releases.
Correct, you'll be able to obtain non-alolan forms by using an everstone when breeding. The only non-alolan forms you shouldn't be able to get are the ones that evolve from non-alolan pokemon (basically Raichu, Exeggutor, and Marowak) since they will always evolve into the alolan forms and thus can't be obtained with the gen7 clover.

What version of Tapu Koko is more popular at the moment on this format? Special for the Discharge spam, Physical for more power, or Mixed?

Personally, I've encountered more special sets, but I would expect a physical set with wild charge and dazzling gleam to be popular as well.

What version of Tapu Koko is more popular at the moment on this format? Special for the Discharge spam, Physical for more power, or Mixed?
koko with tbolt,protect,dazzle,filler is usually what you'll come across. for the filler some will have discharge, but some will run stuff like taunt, natures madness, or sky drop instead. You don't really see see physical or mixed too often

Is there an old thread or place where I can look up past year's Whimsicott builds? The current speed tiers thread has stuff like Scarfed Bulky or just plain Bulky sets, which is very different from what I imagined to be ideal for it.

Is there any reason to use Mimikyu over Oranguru or P2?
You have a free focus sash on it, and can carry a few different items/moves compared to Oranguru that is really there for instruct.

What are the best natures for the protectors and UBs? I have the standard +speed -attack/sp attack and the +attack/sp attack -sp attack/attack synchros already, just want to know if I should get different ones like bold, quiet, sassy, relaxed, naive, etc. or not.

Last edited:
You have a free focus sash on it, and can carry a few different items/moves compared to Oranguru that is really there for instruct.

What are the best natures for the protectors and UBs? I have the standard +speed -attack/sp attack and the +attack/sp attack -sp attack/attack synchros already, just want to know if I should get different ones like bold, quiet, sassy, relaxed, naive, etc. or not.

Could I use both porygon2 and Mimikyu on the same team? Since it would be a trick room teamand all.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)