VGC 17 Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can someone Pls Update What's legal in VGC17 I really want to use Volt Tackle Pikachu but Smogon says I can't because it's only Obtainable in previous Gens when there is a move tutor for it in Konikoni City.

Can someone Pls Update What's legal in VGC17 I really want to use Volt Tackle Pikachu but Smogon says I can't because it's only Obtainable in previous Gens when there is a move tutor for it in Konikoni City.
It's therefore legal and Z-move compatible with Pikanium.

Marowak-A and Muk-A being as popular as they are is a bit surprising though many people identified them as potential anti-meta pokemon after BSTs and movepools came out.
I'm not surprised Muk-A is a Top 20 mon; it has good defenses with a great defensive typing that helps when dealing with the Tapus.

I am trying to locate a good spread move user for this new format, of a similar kind to the Hyper Voice users of the previous generation (Mega Gardevoir, Mega Salamence, Sylveon).

I was thinking of HA Primarina, but it looks like this is not an option for the time being. Drampa might be an option, but I don't like the fact that its STAB Hyper Voice can't hit anything super effectively.

The two ideas I had were Surf Politoed sat next to a Storm Drain Gastrodon, and Ninetails spamming Blizzard in the Hail.

If anyone has any other ideas, I'd appreciate it.

Hi ! New here on Smogon, been testing this team in showdown, with mixed results, so I'm looking for advice for fixing it:

Tapu Lele @ Life Orb
Ability: Psychic Surge
Level: 50
EVs: 148 HP / 252 SpA / 108 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Moonblast
- Psychic
- Protect
- Dazzling Gleam

Garchomp @ Focus Sash
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Protect
- Rock Slide

Celesteela @ Occa Berry
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 HP / 76 Def / 180 SpA
Bold Nature
- Flamethrower
- Flash Cannon
- Wide Guard
- Protect

Gyarados @ Lum Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Ice Fang
- Crunch
- Dragon Dance

Togedemaru @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 HP / 108 Def / 148 SpD
Careful Nature
- Fake Out
- Spiky Shield
- Zing Zap
- Nuzzle

Mandibuzz @ Leftovers
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 108 Def / 144 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Tailwind
- Taunt
- Roost
- Knock Off

This team is something I like cause of the combos you can make: Toge + Gyarados / Celesteela + Garchomp / Toge + Mandibuzz / Tapu Lele + Garchomp/Mandibuzz etc.

Though since this is still new, is pretty mixed results. So what do you people think? How can I improve this team ?

I am trying to locate a good spread move user for this new format, of a similar kind to the Hyper Voice users of the previous generation (Mega Gardevoir, Mega Salamence, Sylveon).

I was thinking of HA Primarina, but it looks like this is not an option for the time being. Drampa might be an option, but I don't like the fact that its STAB Hyper Voice can't hit anything super effectively.

The two ideas I had were Surf Politoed sat next to a Storm Drain Gastrodon, and Ninetails spamming Blizzard in the Hail.

If anyone has any other ideas, I'd appreciate it.
Specs dazzling gleam/discharge/voltswitch/Lbolt tapu koko.

Hello! I'm new here and I was wondering if I could get some assistance with my rain team. All I have so far is this core

Nihilego @ Choice Scarf Ability: Beast Boost Level: 50 EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe Timid Nature IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def - Power Gem - Hidden Power [Ice] - Sludge Bomb - Thunder

Tapu Bulu @ Choice Band Ability: Grassy Surge Level: 50 EVs: 144 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 108 Spe Adamant Nature - Wood Hammer - Rock Slide - Superpower - Zen Headbutt

Pelipper @ Damp Rock Ability: Drizzle Level: 50 EVs: 252 HP / 132 Def / 124 Spe Bold Nature - Tailwind - Wide Guard - Scald - U-turn

Hello! I'm new here and I was wondering if I could get some assistance with my rain team. All I have so far is this core

Nihilego @ Choice Scarf Ability: Beast Boost Level: 50 EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe Timid Nature IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def - Power Gem - Hidden Power [Ice] - Sludge Bomb - Thunder

Tapu Bulu @ Choice Band Ability: Grassy Surge Level: 50 EVs: 144 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 108 Spe Adamant Nature - Wood Hammer - Rock Slide - Superpower - Zen Headbutt

Pelipper @ Damp Rock Ability: Drizzle Level: 50 EVs: 252 HP / 132 Def / 124 Spe Bold Nature - Tailwind - Wide Guard - Scald - U-turn
Hello!
I wouldn't reccomend niheligo. It has too many weaknesses, and in general isn't very good. Everything else looks good though!

Hello!
I wouldn't reccomend niheligo. It has too many weaknesses, and in general isn't very good. Everything else looks good though!

I don't know what to replace Nihilego with then. I also need to change Bulu's set. But I don't know what to chhange it to

This is my first attempt at a VGC Team. It's manly focussed on Electric Terrain and Rain. I hope this isn't to bad

Tapu Koko @ 'Lum Berry
Ability:Electric Surge
Evs: 4 HP/ 252 S Atk/ 252 S Def
Timid Nature
-Thunderbolt
-Volt Switch
-Protect
-Taunt (I am maybe considering replacing this)

One of the best Terrain settlers and has one of the best typings.

Pelipper @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Drizzle
Evs: 252 HP/ 132 Sp A/ 124 Spe
Modest Nature
-Scald
-Hurricane
-Tailwind
-Wide Guard

The only good rain settler in the game and it's even better since it got a buff in this gen.

Garchomp @ Rockey Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
Evs: 4 HP/ 252 Atk/252 Spe
Jolly Nature
-Earthquake
-Dragon Claw
-Rock Slide
-Protect

It's a good counter to other electric Pokemon that try to take advantage of my terrain, flying types, and it's the best Dragon Pokemon in the Alola dex.

Celestella @ Leftovers
Evs: 252 HP/ 252 Satk/ 4 Sdef
Modest Nature
-Flash Cannon
-Air Slash
-Giga Drain
-Protect

From what I seen watching most VGC games it is a staple in most teams due to how much HP it has and It pairs well with Garchomp. On my team I am using it as a Offensive Tank.

Pheromosa @ Focus Slash
Evs: 4 HP/ 252 Atk/ 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
-Lunge
-High Jump Kick
-Ice Beam
-U Turn

The fastest Ultra Beast and is abit of a frail cannon and It's the sweeper of the team.

Raichu A @ Life Orb
Ability:Surge Surfer
Evs: 4 HP/ 252 SpA/ 252 Spe
Modest Nature
-Fake Out
-Thunderbolt
-Psychic
-Protect

I considered it a staple due to Surge being really good in Electric Terrain and Rain.

Thoughts or changes?

I don't know what to replace Nihilego with then. I also need to change Bulu's set. But I don't know what to chhange it to
Well, what role does it perform in your team? What do you need it to hit, and what do you need it to tank?

Well, what role does it perform in your team? What do you need it to hit, and what do you need it to tank?
I use it to partner with Bulu once rain is set up since it greatly benefits from grass terrain and can take down Tapus

I use it to partner with Bulu once rain is set up since it greatly benefits from grass terrain and can take down Tapus
Hmm.... Many mons can take down tapus, but not a lot benefit from grassy terrain...
Perhaps Alolan muk? Destroys tapus, and benefits from grassy terrain

Hmm.... Many mons can take down tapus, but not a lot benefit from grassy terrain...
Perhaps Alolan muk? Destroys tapus, and benefits from grassy terrain
Yeah. A-Muk would probably be a better choice. I worry if it has enough staying power to be useful outside of killing Tapus though.

Yeah. A-Muk would probably be a better choice. I worry if it has enough staying power to be useful outside of killing Tapus though.
Don't worry, poison dark is a great typing and 105/75/105 bulk isn't bad by any stretch.

Alright I think I'm gonna try the team out of

Tapu Bulu
Pelliper
Xurkitree
A-Muk
Gyarados
Togedemaru

But I have no idea what sets to run on xurkitree Tapu Bulu and A-Muk

Hey guys, new to VGC here.

So can u guys help me with making my team?

What should the framework of a VGC team be?
2-3 sweepers as core (special/physical)
1 tank?
1-2 support?

I only thought starting the core with my favourite pokemon: choice scarf Salamence with modest/intimidate/4 Atk, 252 SpA, 252 Spe
with draco meteor, fire blast, dragon pulse and some other coverage move

I might want it to partner with Garchomp cuz synergy with earthquake

I'm also thinking of adding tapu koko and Xircuitree (cuz of electric terrain + discharge) and xircuitree can disquake with garchomp, but not sure if xircuitree is too frail

Other mons I'm interested is tapu fini and celesteel (and then celesteel synergies well with garchomp)

For support what moves should i need to disrupt? Smeargle/Mimikyu

It would be good if I could know where to start, and where to search for the team compositions of top teams at like battlespot or something

Don't worry, poison dark is a great typing and 105/75/105 bulk isn't bad by any stretch.
Having used Alolan Muk a bit yesterday, I Can confirm this. Muk is pretty sturdy and can take most hits besides some Physical Ground-type attacks well. Outside of dealing with the Tapus and AlolaWak, however, it did seem to struggle a bit imo. Still a fun choice to try out though and definitely not a terrible one.

So, I sort of coped Cybertrons Torkoal idea from his latest video and I have to say, it's been working really well so far. Both Trick Room with Oranguru and After You from Lilligant are having success. Heck, you don't even have to spam Eruption, just firing off flamethrowers is getting the job done.

I'm not sure yet how much I like the idea of the Ultra Beasts. Celesteela notwithstanding, their typings are not great and their stats have major vulnerabilities. They seem to be almost completely dependent on having the right support, which seems to limit one's lead options.

Just tried my team and it's really bad. It loses constantly to pretty much everything and I don't know what to do.

Togedemaru (M) @ Steelium Z
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Spiky Shield
- Zing Zap
- Gyro Ball

Gyarados (M) @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Crunch
- Ice Fang
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall

Pelipper (F) @ Damp Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 132 Def / 124 Spe
Bold Nature
- Tailwind
- Wide Guard
- Scald
- U-turn

Tapu Bulu @ Assault Vest
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 156 HP / 252 Atk / 100 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Horn Leech
- Wood Hammer
- Zen Headbutt
- Rock Slide

Muk-Alola (M) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Gluttony
EVs: 252 HP / 92 Atk / 164 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Taunt
- Knock Off
- Poison Jab
- Protect

Xurkitree @ Electrium Z
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Thunderbolt
- Grass Knot
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Protect

Just tried my team and it's really bad. It loses constantly to pretty much everything and I don't know what to do.

Togedemaru (M) @ Steelium Z
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Spiky Shield
- Zing Zap
- Gyro Ball

Gyarados (M) @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Crunch
- Ice Fang
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall

Pelipper (F) @ Damp Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 132 Def / 124 Spe
Bold Nature
- Tailwind
- Wide Guard
- Scald
- U-turn

Tapu Bulu @ Assault Vest
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 156 HP / 252 Atk / 100 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Horn Leech
- Wood Hammer
- Zen Headbutt
- Rock Slide

Muk-Alola (M) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Gluttony
EVs: 252 HP / 92 Atk / 164 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Taunt
- Knock Off
- Poison Jab
- Protect

Xurkitree @ Electrium Z
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Thunderbolt
- Grass Knot
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Protect
Why don't you have Protect on Gyarados?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)