VGC 2010 Birmingham Warstory:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, so its been a few days since the event in Birmingham and after a long weekend of travelling to Birmingham for the event and then straight to visit my girlfriend in Sommerset the next day, im finally home and ready to write you guys a juicy story of my fun filled events.

I will apologies now if this doesn't flow as well as it probably should, I have literally been home for ten minutes and doing this before a cup of tea, shower or anything to eat after already travelling two and a half hours this morning, I have been dying to write this since the event, so here goes....

My VGC adventure started this time last year after travelling to the London event in May 2009 where after very little preperation and a lot of hax in my first round match resulted in an early knockout which affected me more than I could have ever antisipated. With only a month to pretty much learn how to play doubles, the mechanics of DP and build a team let alone try and remember standard sets or what move did what it was enevitable that I wasn't going to do well, and with my exit from this event i made a promise to myself to train and learn as much as I possibly could to do the best job in the following years tournament. Therefore, pretty much the last nine months of my life has been pokemon orientated, learning the RNG, breeding, catching, team building and practicing as much as possible on PBR, NB and recently on Pokemon Online all in one big effort to make it to Hawaii.

So it got to two days before the tournament and I had my team bred Ev'd and ready to go, although as a few of you may know I was starting to second guess myself and overthink everything, was my team good enough?? could i improve it??? ect, ect..... I'm sure many of you have all had the same feelings before travelling to your own event. Fortunatly for myself I was on Smogon IRC on friday and spoke to Huy (who doesnt have a clue who I am) and asked for his advice on my team, he checked it over and put my mind at rest...... and if your reading this, thank you so much that chat was definatly what i needed to hear :)

So here it is;

(Crimson)
Infernape@Focus Sash
Naive
132 att/236 Spd/ 142 Sp att
Heat Wave/Low Kick/Protect/Fake Out

(Spike)
Kyorge@Choice Scarf
Timid
6 Hp /252 Spatt/ 252 Spd
Water Spout/HP flying/Thunder/Blizzard

(Nayru)
Abomnasnow@Sitrus Berry
Quiet
252hp/252 Spatt/6 Spdef
Blizzard/Grass Knot/Protect/ice Shard

(Cronus)
Dialga@Lum Berry
Modest
6 Hp/ 252 Spatt/ 252 Spd
Dragon Pulse/Blizzard/Earth Power/ Protect

The bench

Palkia@ Choice specs
Timid
6 HP/ 252 Sp Att/ 252 Spd
Spacial Rend/Blizzard/Thunder/Earth Power

(Optimus)
Metagross@Chople Berry (this was soley for Diagla if I felt he needed it)
Adamant
252 att/252 spd/6 Sp def
Hammer Arm/Bullet Punch/Protect/Explosion

The event

Ok, my day started early, I got up at 5.30am after my end of year party at University from the night before, so as you can imagine i was wasnt feeling that great.......I arrived very hungover at the station in High Wycombe around 6.00am gasping for a drink.....but no wear was open, the term cotton mouth didn't come close to how I was feeling.........

So at 6.10am I boarded my train to Birmingham International changing once on the way luckyily finding food and WATER which started to pull me around by the time i arrived at my destination around at about 8.45 am. This was my first visit to Birmingham so I didnt know what to expect, I knew the place was big but when i arrived it was empty i was expecting to see loads of people but I must have been one of the first people to arrive. So I headed into the NEC past a subway where a group of people where sitting on their DS's outside a Subway (which were everywhere in the place), and headed towards the Pavillion. I arrived outside and there was a roughly around 80 people outside already in the que, majority being juniors from what i could see. So anyway after a wait that seemed to take forever i eventually got inside the arena, meeting up with IamMarti her friends and Piccollo (this guy is a legend and it was a pleasure to eventually meet you and be able to hang out pretty much most of the day), we chatted and looked around for other smogoners ect but then half ten struck and we were ushered into a que for the senior event. We sat around in the que for what seemed like forever although it was awesome fun hanging with Marti and her crowd, I met Habitus (another legend IMO great guy) who was about 15 people behind me and spotted Havak, pokerob and GEC.
So eventually 1oclock rolled around and sign ups began.
At this point I was super nervous not knowing what to expect and just wanting to win my first round battle.............
So i recieved my battle tag recording thingy and proceeded to wait and get paired with some random opponent.

Quick reminder of my team:

(Crimson)
Infernape@Focus Sash
Naive
132 att/236 Spd/ 142 Sp att
Heat Wave/Low Kick/Protect/Fake Out

(Spike)
Kyorge@Choice Scarf
Timid
6 Hp /252 Spatt/ 252 Spd
Water Spout/HP flying/Thunder/Blizzard

(Nayru)
Abomnasnow@Sitrus Berry
Quiet
252hp/252 Spatt/6 Spdef
Blizzard/Grass Knot/Protect/ice Shard

(Cronus)
Dialga@Lum Berry
Modest
6 Hp/ 252 Spatt/ 252 Spd
Dragon Pulse/Blizzard/Earth Power/ Protect

The bench

Palkia@ Choice specs
Timid
6 HP/ 252 Sp Att/ 252 Spd
Spacial Rend/Blizzard/Thunder/Earth Power

(Optimus)
Metagross@Chople Berry (this was soley for Diagla if I felt he needed it)
Adamant
252 att/252 spd/6 Sp def
Hammer Arm/Bullet Punch/Protect/Explosion

Round 1

Ok so as nervous as I am i get stationed at table 7 with this guy that looks around 17, he seemed pretty nervous aswell, we shook hands, wished each other good luck and waited to start.

As I was in the first group in the seniors to battle we had to wait for the lame 5 second count down......but this was soon over and we began.

I lead with Infernape and Kyorge while he sent out Garchomp and Dragonite, I had never seen this combo used till now, but knew he would most likely EQ with chomp and throw something at Kyorge from Draggy, So i FO Dragonite and Water Spout with Kyorge. Garchomps Ko'd instantly and Dragonites health is in the yellow. He then brings in Lugia......I protect with Ape and Water spout again while he loses Dragonite and his Aeroblast from Lugia on ape is blocked. He finally brings in Ho-oh, which leads to one more water Spout which finishes him off 4-0.

Round 2

Now i get paired up with some kid, who sends out a lead of Glaceon and Magmortar which one Kyorge Water Spout deals with in one. Im a little hazy on what he sends in next but I end up Water spouting again and end up winning 4-0.

Round 3

So on a go, I knew at this point one more win would take me into the finalists lounge but i dint want to get ahead of myself yet. I got paired up with a boy who must have only been about 14 but trust me he knew what he was doing. I, like usual send in Ape and Kyorge, he sends out Dialga and Togekiss. Immediatly i know hes going to Follow Me with Togekiss and Trick Room with Dialga which i have no counter to at all, so my only option was to play it out, which i was very confident about doing since ive had to do it numerous times with this team online before.
So as i predict his Togekiss uses FM and and I use Water spout and Low Kick which puts Kiss in the red and leaves Dialga with around half health whilst it sets the trick room up. All i can remember now was at this point I switched in Kyorge for Abom and Ape for Dialga stalling out the TR and eventually winning 4-0.

Wow, I'm through to the finalists lounge, and I couldnt believe how suprisingly easy it had been so far.....
One of the events workers then leads me to the finalists area where I get interviewed by the women announcer and told i was the first Finalist in the senior division of the day whoooopp whooop!!!! I get introduced to Mike and he takes me to a desk where i get my next wrist band hand over my cartridge and told to return at 4.oclock. I look at my watch and its only 2pm so I now have a long wait until the last 32 starts to i head out and wait around to see how everyone else is getting on.

So after going for a wander to get a drink and watch a few more battles the time eventually comes when all 32 finalists get called back to battle. I learn that Havak, Pokerob, Kinneas and GEC are also through. At this point I find myself asking how the other guys I knew were attending had got on and wondering if they had even made it, especially 7014gree and the infamous Mrs.Blackbird. Anyway as I was waiting to in line to get my cart back this random guy comes over and is like 'Hey Osirus' i say hi, this guy seems pretty kool although i havn't got a clue who it is......i later find out this is Rees aka Mrs.Blackbird, who ive practiced with countless times on NB >_< and i know how good he is......so we get talking and i find out hes pretty pissed and been drinking since that morning, true pokemon champ lol!! We both say to each other how epic it would be to face each other in the final and make that our goal ;) which we didnt know at the time would be closer than expected!! So we all got handed our carts back and paired up against our next opponents for the last few battles.

The Last 32

Round 4 (vs 7014gree)

I was led to station 7 again (lucky number 7).....and waited for my oppenent to arrive. A guy who i didnt reckonize was led in front of me we said hi and shook hands, loaded our games and again waited for the 'all together' count down to start. He didn't really say very much and I just assumed he was as nervous at that point as i was.
So the battle began, and as his trainer name came up it said '7014gree', I stuttered something like your 'gree' and was like oh shit, this wasn't going to be easy. We had have never battled before and only chatted on PO and NB but from what other guys had told me about him he was meant to be pretty good.
I send out Infernape and Kyorge....standard, he sends out Dailga and Smeargle. I know hes going for the trick room and most likely using follow me or FO so fearing a Fake out on Kyogre I Fake out his Smeargle and Water Spout with Kyorge. His Smeargle uses Follow me and gets Ko'd by FO & WS while his dialga sets up trick room, replacing his Ko'd smeargle with Abom. Next turn, I bring in Dialga for Kyorge expexting a grass knot from his Abom, this is exactly what he did, giving me the oppotunity i needed, Dialga eats the knot for breakfast while his Dragon Pulses Ape who holds on with his Focus Sash Heat Waves and Ko's both in one fell swoop. He brings in Mewtwo who gets Ko'd by a Dragon Pulse and Blizzard combo.
3-0. gg

I did try and save the video but one of the staff working pulled my cart before the match was saved :(

So i proceed to the next stage, again the woman announcing event tells me im first through again :D

I look around to see how everyone else is doing and soon get paired with a really nice guy called Steven we shook hands and i congratulated him on how far he had got so far.

Round 5

I do have the battle video saved so as soon as i figure out how to upload it i'll post it here.

I send in Ape & Kyogre, he sends out Muk and Mewtwo. I expect an explosion from Muk so I FO with Ape and Water Spout with Kyorge......he double protects, now i start to think he knows what hes doing. So next turn I protect with Ape and Water Spout to KO his Mewtwo and leave his Muk in the red, i think he shadow sneaked with Muk which was blocked by Apes Protect. He brings in Giratina for Mewtwo and i switch in Dialga for Ape and Water Spout with Kyorge again, it takes around a third off Tina while it uses shadow Force and his Muk protects. I then Switch in abom and Blizzard with Dialga, his Muk Protects again, Shadow Force hits Abom for minor damage and blizzard takes Tina into very low yellow. The Residual damage from hail Ko's Muk and he brings in Lucario. I Ice Shard Tina and Earth Power Lucario for the win. 4-0 gg

Round 6

Again i'm first to proceed........i start thinking could this be my day???
so as i wait for my next opponent this forgien guy called Anthony who is wearing a team Belgium Shirt with chairman on and 2009 VGC world championships hat approaches my station, he asks me if this is my first tournament and i tell him no......the language barrier from this point stop any possible further conversions as he couldn't really understand me we shook hands and started to battle. At this point all i was thinking was that i had to win, i couldnt let a non UK entrant win our nationals......so with my English pride at risk we proceeded to battle!
For some reason this battle is a little sketchy in my head I send out Ape and Kyorge and he sends in Qwilfish and Kyorge. I knew he would try the explosion with Qwilfish so I FO with Ape and for some reason, dont ask me why I totally missed the point that his Kyorge would protect and was 100% convinced it would be scarfed weather this was nerves or whatever i'll never know but instead of thundering his fish I directed it towards Kyorge, which....protected. Next turn again being a retard I forgot that Qwilfish was faster under rain than Kyorge i Thunder again and low kick with ape, he trys for the protect again with kyorge but it fails he explodes with Qwilfish and takes down all pokemon except Ape who hangs on with his sash.
He brings in Kingdra and something else.....I think it was Palkia I'm unsure though, I send in Abom and Switch Dialga for Ape and proceed to win 3-0.
Now i was in the last four, i had guaranteed an invite to worlds and earned a nice DSi all i had to do now was win two more battle and I was the UK champ.........

As i waiting in the finalist area i was joined by GEC, Kinneas and Rees, i was so happy he had got to this stage and our final was so close to coming true!! We stat around for ten minutes while everyone had their details taken until Mike gathered us together and told us how the pairings would work for the semi's. He presented 4 engery cards, 2 grass, 2 fighting, he turned them over shuffled and asked us all to pick one, the matching cards playing each other. I picked mine praying me and Rees would dodge each other just one more round, and as i turn mine over ive already seen that GEC and Kin are up against each other meaning ive got Rees..........amazing.

Round 7 - Semi Finals Vs Rees aka Mrs.Blackbird

Here's the Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjKxn3Ume-Q

Looking back on the video now i made some dumbass mistakes which really cost me the match but that can be said about nearly every loss, I don't wana take anything away from Rees who played excellently and deserved to win, he's a top class lad and can't wait to join him again in Hawaii to represent the UK with Kin and GEC!!

So i ended up coming 3rd, which isn't to bad......I won a nice DSi and an invitation to Hawaii which after some inital doubts about going have been sorted and I will definatly be taking the trip to compete and can't wait to see you all there.

Big Congrats to Kinneas, GEC and Rees for doing amazingly well can't wait for worlds lets not let the UK down ;)

I also want to say a big thank you to everyone i met on the day for making it so enjoyable and can't wait to see you all again at the next event wherever that maybe.

Oh ......and a massive shout out to Akiratron, wish i could have hung out with you more mate thanks for your support and look forward to seeing you soon at the next event!!! Piccollo do us all a favour and get your ass to worlds in Germany this Weekend im expecting to see you there mate ;)

Good warstory!

Mate you did so well, you were finishing your battles mega quickly and the first to advance to the next stage in almost every round! Hope you rip it at Hawaii, your battle with Rees was tough! He is a really strong player and keeping your concentration is tough in these competitions --- but you did awesome!

See you at Havaks event :) and yeah Picollo needs to smash it Germany, such a nice guy.

Kinneas

puffoon
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Great warstory mate. It sounds like you and Rees were in the exact situation as me and GEC! I'm glad you knocked out the Belgian because he was so annoying XD.

I'll be at Havak's Manchester event too, so should see you there before worlds! (:

Great warstory mate. It sounds like you and Rees were in the exact situation as me and GEC! I'm glad you knocked out the Belgian because he was so annoying XD.

I'll be at Havak's Manchester event too, so should see you there before worlds! (:
haha! on a side note - the event staff member who was dressed as the professor kept checking you out Kinn - Pokerob clocked it first, you kept bending over the ds and she was looking at your ass.

Kinneas

puffoon
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
One of the girl staff members with brown hair came up to me as I was leaving, after all the interviews and things, started chatting with me and called me "Mr Muscles" haha :P
She asked me if I wanted her to walk to the train station with me but I was still all over the place with nerves and didn't realise she was flirting with me so I just said "Nah my friends are outside" and walked off. XD
I felt like a prat afterwards cos she was pretty fit...

One of the girl staff members with brown hair came up to me as I was leaving, after all the interviews and things, started chatting with me and called me "Mr Muscles" haha :P
She asked me if I wanted her to walk to the train station with me but I was still all over the place with nerves and didn't realise she was flirting with me so I just said "Nah my friends are outside" and walked off. XD
I felt like a prat afterwards cos she was pretty fit...
your a joker!!! quite funny the staff were flirting, they weren't joking when they said it was a ''friendly'' event......even when it finishes lol

Will more than likely see you at the event at Manchester too :)

Was a good day hanging with you and cheering you on with Marti :p

I thought Infernape was going to use Mach Punch! :O I completely forgot about Heat Wave :(

Anyway, great job on getting 3rd place and THANK YOU for beating that Belgian guy! He was soo annoying, clapping and shouting when someone made a half decent move

I might go to France for another chance, but I dont think Ill be good enough this year

Also,sk me for anything 4th gen that you need for VGC(shiny or non shiny including legendaries) and I will get it for you(flawless, hidden powers etc.) Just VM or PM me

:) good story, I put my youtube vid up of the day which you are in.

Oh you missed out the bit you are taking me and Habitus to Japan with you when you win in Hawaii ;)

Havak

I'm the Best. You're a Towel.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Congratulations mate, you're a top guy! See you in Manchester :) and good luck at Worlds.

Point of Clarification

Round 1

I lead with Infernape and Kyorge while he sent out Garchomp and Dragonite, I had never seen this combo used till now, but knew he would most likely EQ with chomp and throw something at Kyorge from Draggy, So i FO Dragonite and Water Spout with Kyorge. Garchomps Ko'd instantly and Dragonites health is in the yellow.

First round, you used Fake Out on Dragonite?

...just for the damage right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)