VGC 2011 rules up!

Status
Not open for further replies.

breh

強いだね
To elaborate on Human's point more, it allows for a more stable metagame... I.E. if Inconsistent Glalie is released during the third stop of the VGC, the metagame will be far different from that of the two preceding it.

Plus do you really want to deal with a huuuuuge number of pokemon? or would you rather have only 75 viable pokemon to worry about?

It's called cycling guys, just like in the TCG and how they lost one of the most staple cards this offseason. TPCI wants to see some new shit. They got tired of seeing the same strategies being used in 08, 09, and 10.

And Huy is right. Dragon Tail is a cool TR counter, just like how the Japanese used Roar or Whirlwind to counter TR in 09. It is probably the most beautiful thing to see, a Pokemon trying to TR but only to be Roar'ed away.

breh

強いだね
It's called cycling guys, just like in the TCG and how they lost one of the most staple cards this offseason. TPCI wants to see some new shit. They got tired of seeing the same strategies being used in 08, 09, and 10.

And Huy is right. Dragon Tail is a cool TR counter, just like how the Japanese used Roar or Whirlwind to counter TR in 09. It is probably the most beautiful thing to see, a Pokemon trying to TR but only to be Roar'ed away.
Hm can Dragon Tail be used against a TR poke even if one used Follow Me / Anger Powder?

So I guess the real question here is is there anything that can OHKO Morobareru, since that + Dragon Tail would shut down any non-Sash Powder/TR teams. (I'd be inclined to say that Ulgamoth won't be used often as an Anger-user, and if it is, it'll die a lot easier than Moro.)

On the whole, though? I still prefer just running one slow offensive Pokemon (currently trying out Gamageroge for that) to screw up the TR teams - it means that only one of my team's being used to counter TR, as opposed to my entire lead. (That said, if I can find an anti-Powder/Tail lead pair that does well against more offensive leads, I won't complain.)

Kinneas

puffoon
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Acrobat Torunerosu does a very good job of OHKOing Morobareru and a whole bunch of other stuff. Flying is actually great STAB in this metagame due to the abundance of fighting and grass types.
I'd still rather fake out Moro's and taunt the TR user though. That way you aren't running the risk of a sash on the mushroom and double targetting it.

drcossack

I'm everywhere, you ain't never there
Acrobat Torunerosu does a very good job of OHKOing Morobareru and a whole bunch of other stuff. Flying is actually great STAB in this metagame due to the abundance of fighting and grass types.
I'd still rather fake out Moro's and taunt the TR user though. That way you aren't running the risk of a sash on the mushroom and double targetting it.
Unfortunately, I believe Anger Powder should still redirect the FO? Not too sure on that though.

cosmicexplorer

pewpewpew
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Fake Out is +3 priority like Anger Powder, so that Fake Out would flinch and stop the Anger Powder from occurring if the Fake Out user is faster, and every Fake Out user is faster than Morobareru.

Yeah, the problem there is Erufuun, but everything that OHKOs Moro should -easily- OHKO Erufuun.
Eru's actually the reason I was looking primarily at the OHKO as opposed to Fake Out - sure, I can reliably hold off Moro for one turn to Tail out their TRer or whatever, but I'd much rather a) deal with one of their Pokemon as quickly as possible, since aggro tends to work best in VGC as is, and b) have multiple options later on. (Not saying Fake Out's a bad choice of move, just that if I've got an even choice between a kill and a delay tactic, I'd go with the kill.)

breh

強いだね
No, Dragon Tail would still hit the Follow Me user.

Er let me rephrase that; what I meant was what would happen if both pokemon on the field were Dragon Tail (or Overhead Throw) users and aimed at the Trick Room user?

Also does non-Flying Gem Acrobat KO Morobareru (in the event of a double Protect (which is why I don't think Fake Out is a viable way to stop TR but irrelevant))?

Huy

INSTANT BALLS
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Er let me rephrase that; what I meant was what would happen if both pokemon on the field were Dragon Tail (or Overhead Throw) users and aimed at the Trick Room user?

Also does non-Flying Gem Acrobat KO Morobareru (in the event of a double Protect (which is why I don't think Fake Out is a viable way to stop TR but irrelevant))?
Your Dragon Tail would go to where you targetted it after the Follow Me user switches out.

In the event of a double protect you don't lose your jewel so.... ?_?

And lastly, Fake Out shouldn't be used to stop set ups anyway since all it does is delay everything by a turn.

Ice-eyes

Simper Fi
Fake Out can be used to stop setups. For example, if you lead Zuruzukin / Tornelos against Mushaana / Morobareru, you can Fake Out the Moro, giving you time to Taunt Mushaana. You can then kill Moro with Tornelos while Mushaana can accomplish very little before Zuruzukin kills it (2HKO I think) with Crunch.

breh

強いだね
Your Dragon Tail would go to where you targetted it after the Follow Me user switches out.

In the event of a double protect you don't lose your jewel so.... ?_?

And lastly, Fake Out shouldn't be used to stop set ups anyway since all it does is delay everything by a turn.
Hm I could swear you lost it on PO (is that a flawed mechanic?)

breh

強いだね
So Trick Room has to run a counter to the counter of Trick Room.

Huh.

What counters Tornelos? Or is Tornelos a hard counter for TR more or less (or does Focus Sash make it moot?)?

On a different note, how does Ulgamoth fare as an Anger Powderer?

Well, I'm a random noob so the only thing I can say is that it has always been that way. Trick Room was always facing the challenge of finding some way to circumvent countermeasures and that didn't change with Gen 5.

How is Tornelos a hard counter for TR? I'll give you that he reliably KOes the mushroom (if he doesn't carry Sash or Coba Berry) and has MH Taunt but that's as far as you will get with him.

On the point of Anger Powder Urugamosu I think it's safe to say that the mushroom is superior in that regard since he's a lot more bulkier (especially important if you think about random Rock Slides, Moro can still take a beating after taking one Slide) but then Urugamosu can fill out a more offensive role.

The rules are not 100% clear to me. The wifi part was never mentioned as a rule if we can get to see the others team.

The rules are still not clear on how many pokes we use. I would love to see an update

Fake Out can be used to stop setups. For example, if you lead Zuruzukin / Tornelos against Mushaana / Morobareru, you can Fake Out the Moro, giving you time to Taunt Mushaana. You can then kill Moro with Tornelos while Mushaana can accomplish very little before Zuruzukin kills it (2HKO I think) with Crunch.
mental herb

Huy

INSTANT BALLS
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
The rules are not 100% clear to me. The wifi part was never mentioned as a rule if we can get to see the others team.

The rules are still not clear on how many pokes we use. I would love to see an update
"WiFI Clause" is on because that is how all link battles work.

Do you have information on how Infra-red battles work? I'm not sure on the mechanics and I think I've read that IR doesn't allow bring 6 pick 4 but I might be completely misinformed...

Do you have information on how Infra-red battles work? I'm not sure on the mechanics and I think I've read that IR doesn't allow bring 6 pick 4 but I might be completely misinformed...
It doesn't have team preview and I am almost sure it doesn't have B6P4. Either way it has Miracle Shooter which is another thing worth mentioning why it probably won't be used.

I am gonna miss using my Ambipom and Jolteon but I will survive lol anyways I am glad they limiting it down and removing the legendary well good majority of them will be interesting I alreade a few things in mind good luck to everyone at ther vgc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)