VGC 2011 rules up!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Isshu only rule is silly if it applies to qualifier tournaments outside of Japan - Japan may have had Black and White for a while now, but the rest of the world will have only JUST gotten the games by the time the tournament comes around...

I'm pumped for this; we all have to use Pokemon we're not comfortable with!

Yay for Follow Me being not as common. :P

EDIT: NO DARK VOID, ECCENTRIC DITTOS, ABOMASNOW, TTAR, LUDICOLO, OR WEAVILES

LOVING THIS METAGAME
But we've still got Trick Room! :D

ALL HAIL RANKURUSU! ALL HAIL TM92!

Been waiting for this news for some time now, can honestly say, i've never been more dissapointed in my life.
My attendance to VGC now rests on whether or not national dex pokemon can be used, or if it's isshu dex only (1-155 or whatever it is).
It seems pretty obvious it's the latter of the two... which sucks.
So dissapointed :(

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
Yay! More double battles :D
aCtaully the rules have only been out for less than a day so we don't know anything about the metagame(s) yet.
fixed

You know, just after a little looking though, one unexpectedly good thing about this "smaller" metagame is that it's more manageable. I really wasn't looking forward to 600ish pokes with new moves, abilities, and items. This will be easier to learn.

Just to give an idea of what base speed is looking like in this year's mode:

145 - Agirudaa
116 - Erufuun, Zeburaika
115 - Chirachiino
114 - Kokoromori
113 - Jarooda
112 - Pendoraa
111 - Tornelos, Voltolos
110 - Archeos
109 - Aianto
108 - Terrakion, Virizion, Cobalon, Denchura
106 - Leopardasu
105 - Kojondo, Zoroark, Furiijio
103 - Emonga
101 - Landlos, Yanakkii, Baokkii, Hiyakkii
100 - Urugamosu
098 - Sazandora, Swanna, Basurao
097 - Ononokusu, Shinboraa
095 - Hihidaruma, Mebukijika
093 - Kenhorou
092 - Warubiaru, Hahakomori
090 - Doredia, GG-gear
088 - Doryuuzu
085 - Dageki
080 - Shanderaa, Wargle, Muurando, Barujiina
079 - Bivanilla
077 - Miruhog
075 - Dasutodasu
074 - Gamageroge
070 - Daikenki, Kirikizan
065 - Enboar, Mamanbou, Gochiruzeru, Kuitaran
060 - Burungeru, Marakacchi
058 - Zuruzukin
055 - Goruugu, Baffuron
050 - Shibirudon, Tabunne, Tsunbear
048 - Kurimugan
045 - Roobushin, Nageki, Iwaparesu
040 - Oobemu
032 - Abagoora, Maggyo
030 - Rankurusu, Desukaan, Morobareru
029 - Musharna
025 - Gigaiasu
020 - Shubarugo, Nattorei

JRank

Jonny
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Just to give an idea of what base speed is looking like in this year's mode:

145 - Agirudaa
116 - Erufuun, Zeburaika
115 - Chirachiino
114 - Kokoromori
113 - Jarooda
112 - Pendoraa
111 - Tornelos, Voltolos
110 - Archeos
109 - Aianto
108 - Terrakion, Virizion, Cobalon, Denchura
106 - Leopardasu
105 - Kojondo, Zoroark, Furiijio
103 - Emonga
101 - Landlos, Yanakkii, Baokkii, Hiyakkii
100 - Urugamosu
098 - Sazandora, Swanna, Basurao
097 - Ononokusu, Shinboraa
095 - Hihidaruma, Mebukijika
093 - Kenhorou
092 - Warubiaru, Hahakomori
090 - Doredia, GG-gear
088 - Doryuuzu
085 - Dageki
080 - Shanderaa, Wargle, Muurando, Barujiina
079 - Bivanilla
077 - Kirikizan, Miruhog
075 - Dasutodasu
074 - Gamageroge
070 - Daikenki
065 - Enboar, Mamanbou, Gochiruzeru, Kuitaran
060 - Burungeru, Marakacchi
058 - Zuruzukin
055 - Goruugu, Baffuron
050 - Shibirudon, Tabunne, Tsunbear
048 - Kurimugan
045 - Roobushin, Nageki, Iwaparesu
040 - Oobemu
032 - Abagoora, Maggyo
030 - Rankurusu, Desukaan, Morobareru
029 - Musharna
025 - Gigaiasu
020 - Shubarugo, Nattorei
Dang it, six, in addition to totally outplaying me on PO, you also put up a list after I took an hour to make the same one.

JRank

Jonny
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Haven't done VGC before, but can't you take along six Pokemon but only select four to battle with?
Yes, unless we're translating it wrong you take six, pick four. (they have done this in the past so no reason to think we are reading it wrong)

TOTALLY HOT NEW UPDATE: Musharna (the smoke hypno thing?) has an ability that makes the person with mushy lose instantly. This has been confirmed in a match I had with Sixonesix.

on PO anyway

And yeah, Kojondo at first seems like it will be the most used poke, but it gets screwed over by Encore Erufuun if it uses Fake Out.

Trick Room is also still going strong, it seems. Haven't used one yet, but it looks a lot more fun with Mr.Mummy.

Dimsun

VGC 2012 Seniors Champion
Yeah, after a quick scan of the fifth gen Pokemon, it seems like the only strategy that could function with anywhere near its potency of previous gens would be Trick Room.

Rain has the cool boost of Mischievous Heart Tornelos, but also suffers from 1 Swift Swimmer (Gamegeroge, the Water/Ground frog) and 1 Pokemon that can absorb water attacks (Burungeru). Plus, no DrizzleToad is depressing.

Ironically, I think Sandstorm has a pretty good shot of working this time around. There are no SandStream Pokemon, but that is made up for with Doryuuzu and Landlos/Randorusu. Even better, Aekeosu is almost better (still gets wrecked by priority, but functions much better as a suicide lead). I could see Sandstorm replacing Rain as the hyper offensive weather this gen.

And, Sun also has some viability, if not for Erufuun, the fastest Mischievous Heart Pokemon, and but the chlorophyll sweepers are underwhelming.

Trick Room is Trick Room, boasting the most users and a plethora of trollishly slow Pokemon, but it has to fear thanks to a complete lack of 5th Gen Pokemon that know Follow Me. Zuzurikin learns Fake Out, and is the slowest of the 3 Pokemon that can (that, Repardusu, and Kojondo).

With all this to consider, plus the nerf of Explosion and such will definitely make for a very different VGC, "fresh" if you will. Hopefully next year we can DrizzleToad, though.
We have Marakacchi as another Water Absorber, despite the fact that it is a little sad, and we have Morobareru as an Anger Powder-er(which is pretty much follow me) , along with a plethora of others. Just pointing that out.

Trick Room is also still going strong, it seems. Haven't used one yet, but it looks a lot more fun with Mr.Mummy.
Trick Room teams actually aren't as easy as they loom to build. I tried it earlier, and wound up with two psychic-type Trick Roomers! Plus, the best TR sweepers require trading to evolve, which will be difficult for those with no/weak Wifi and no friends with BW to help them.

Randorosu + Voltros aren't THAT great, with the abuse of Erufuun...Erufuun will easily be the most overused pokemon in this metagame...but, as normally it doesn't carry ofensive moves, it goes down by taunt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)