VGC 2011 rules up!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not entirely sure where to throw it, but as most of the VGC stuff was in here, may as well start here.

Courtesy of Pokebeach:

The rules for Japan's Video Game World Qualifier Tournaments have been announced in Black and White's video game guide. Bangiras has translated the rules below. Their qualifier tournaments will begin in March and winners will be able to compete at Worlds 2010 in San Diego for the title of World Champion. Whether or not these rules will apply to America's qualifier tournaments remains to be seen.

* Only Pokemon from Isshu can be used (excluding Victini, Reshiram, Zekrom, Kyurem, Keldeo, Meloetta, and Genosect).
* Each match is a double battle, though the amount of Pokemon each player will use in a match is not mentioned. It might be bring six Pokemon and use four in each match like in the past.
* Pokemon should be Level 50. Pokemon higher than that will be lowered to 50, but Pokemon Level 49 and below will remain the same level.
* You can't use duplicate Pokemon or Items.
* You can't change your Pokemon, Items, etc. during the tournament.

So this is definitely new...hope someone cracks the BW RNG (unless I missed it being cracked somewhere). Only BW Pokemon, all allowed except for the 2 main ubers and 5 event Pokemon. Plus it's still doubles. Pretty interesting stuff. No word yet on Dream World stuff.

* Only Pokemon from Isshu can be used (excluding Victini, Reshiram, Zekrom, Kyurem, Keldeo, Meloetta, and Genosect).

WHY?????
Trollfreak is Troll.

Huy

INSTANT BALLS
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
I thought it was going to be Fresh Battles only... turns out that's what it is ^_^

Good stuff. Excited about this! Team Huy+Andrea will have an awesome time with this.

[03:36] <+Sixonesix> hey wait
[03:36] <+Sixonesix> this means no dark void smeargle
[03:37] <~BlueCookies> yes
[03:37] <+Sixonesix> nvm this meta is alright

Destiny Warrior

also known as Darkwing_Duck
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Cool that the rules have gone up.
Can we have a different official ruleset from VGC for doubles please? This is seriously restrictive...

does pokemon from isshu mean 495+, or does it mean pokemon caught an area of isshu

so like would a farfetched from route 1 count, or a dreamworld pokemon?

B-Lulz

Now Rusty and Old
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I actually think this is pretty cool right now...whether I think it in 6 months is a different story lol.

My only question atm is this: WILL AUSTRALIA BE INVITED?????

Twice already we've been rejected; I don't want it to happen again!
I read somewhere on Skarmbliss that Sydney was at one point being considered, whether we get it or not is another thing. I can still hope and dream for a Perth stop.

Finally, the rules are confirmed, and it's gonna piss off a lot of people. Only Isshu stuff means we've got to start from scratch, and it's only doubles instead of the more exciting triples or even rotation. But hey, this is the one year I can actually compete, and now I know what the rules are I'll be trying out various strategies to see what these new guys are capable of.

I'm already starting to come up with ideas, I'm that determined to do well, after all, I'll be at uni next year and it'll probably be way too much hassle travelling then.

EDIT: Just a thought, but will they start clamping down on egg moves gained from non-Isshu stuff? If so, a lot of strategies could well go out the window.

Exclusind Genesect, Meloeatta and Keldeo, which are unreleased, it's because they're incredibly unbalanced pokemon, especially when you factor the Isshu only rule. What exactly is safely going to switch into Victini and the dragon trio?
It's the isshu only bit i do not like.

Yeah, after a quick scan of the fifth gen Pokemon, it seems like the only strategy that could function with anywhere near its potency of previous gens would be Trick Room.

Rain has the cool boost of Mischievous Heart Tornelos, but also suffers from 1 Swift Swimmer (Gamegeroge, the Water/Ground frog) and 1 Pokemon that can absorb water attacks (Burungeru). Plus, no DrizzleToad is depressing.

Ironically, I think Sandstorm has a pretty good shot of working this time around. There are no SandStream Pokemon, but that is made up for with Doryuuzu and Landlos/Randorusu. Even better, Aekeosu is almost better (still gets wrecked by priority, but functions much better as a suicide lead). I could see Sandstorm replacing Rain as the hyper offensive weather this gen.

And, Sun also has some viability, if not for Erufuun, the fastest Mischievous Heart Pokemon, and but the chlorophyll sweepers are underwhelming.

Trick Room is Trick Room, boasting the most users and a plethora of trollishly slow Pokemon, but it has to fear thanks to a complete lack of 5th Gen Pokemon that know Follow Me. Zuzurikin learns Fake Out, and is the slowest of the 3 Pokemon that can (that, Repardusu, and Kojondo).

With all this to consider, plus the nerf of Explosion and such will definitely make for a very different VGC, "fresh" if you will. Hopefully next year we can DrizzleToad, though.

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
hope someone cracks the BW RNG (unless I missed it being cracked somewhere)
It's cracked enough that a player can very easily RNG flawless eggs once they have found a good egg spread (one that passes a few 31s) through trial and error, and using Power items to overwrite the non-31 IVs. RNG Reporter is going to get an update soon* for making the process of catching flawless wild Pokemon easier.

*Right after I finish my karaoke track.

coughbetterthanteammikecough
bringing my Quick Claw

gg

locopoke

Banned deucer.
Interesting, I wonder how much the Isshu restriction will limit the amount of viable Pokemon there are.

Trick Room is Trick Room, boasting the most users and a plethora of trollishly slow Pokemon, but it has to fear thanks to a complete lack of 5th Gen Pokemon that know Follow Me.
Rage/Anger Powder is the way forward, though its only has 2 pokes that learn it, Morobareru and Ulgamoth :) Atleast its easy to know if your opponent is likely to be using it as a Follow Me substitute :p

This is going to be a very fun metagame to watch. Isshu-only? Yes, please. I think it's a good idea to liven things up. It'll be interesting to see what strategies players come up with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)