1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. Please refer to this thread for the current Smogon Tier Lists.
  3. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!

VGC 2012 rules up!

Discussion in 'VGC' started by ΩDonut, Sep 19, 2011.

1. Team Rocket Elite

Team Rocket Elite Data Integration Thought Entity
    is a Pokemon Researcher

There's a glitch that involves Sky Drop and Gravity. They opted to go with banning Sky Drop to workaround it.
  2. voodoo pimp

voodoo pimp Apply directly to the forehead
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnus

Basically, if you use Gravity while a Pokémon is in the middle of being Sky Dropped, they get stuck up there forever.
  3. Firestorm

Firestorm I did my best, I have no regrets!
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

I'm really liking this year's rules. Having more fun with it than I ever had in VGC '11.
  4. Linus

Linus

hmmm novemeber. sooner than i thought
  5. choknater

choknater

hahahah wow

so moody is not banned?

if i enter vgc.... i'm using bibarel.
  6. voodoo pimp

voodoo pimp Apply directly to the forehead
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnus

Meanwhile, I'll be not determining my games with a coin flip.

It's almost impossible to stall in doubles for long, so if you don't get the boosts you need within the first turn or two, you're in trouble unless you have a backup strategy.
  7. iss

iss happily ever after
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

An evasion boost is not so overpowering in VGC due to the ability to double target something. Same with Substitute/Protect stalling- it doesn't work unless you get extremely lucky.
  8. theamericandream38

theamericandream38

Pretty much this. I have battled many teams designed around taking as much advantage of moody as possible (entrainment, follow me/rage powder, protect/sub, spore, etc.) and even when they beat me (not very often), they needed to get very lucky several times in a row in order to do so. I feel like the people who go on this forum (maybe not all of them but certainly the best ones) are good enough that they should use a team that allows them to outplay an opponent rather than just rolling the dice and hoping to get lucky.
  9. mattj

mattj blatant Nintendo fanboy

Plus multi target attacks mean you don't even have to target the +evasion mon to have 2 chances to hit it.
  10. soul_survivor

soul_survivor

Most people that say haha Moody isn't ban....So broken, are usually people who don't have experience in doubles. Besides if your playing 9 rounds(considering max players) chances of you get lucky on all of them is rare.
  11. Cannonfodder

Cannonfodder

Does anyone think ttar has a chance this year or does all the water abuse make him obsolete?
  12. Jibaku

Jibaku Not taking FS requests atm.
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Smogon IRC SOPis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Winner

From what I've played Tyranitar is still amazing in this metagame. Even though it gets plagued by the omnipresent water attacks (though it can take them on with Sandstorm raging), Fighting type moves, and Metagross, Tyranitar's Sand Stream support is still very valuable. It also counters top threats such as Latios and Zapdos as well.
  13. Jegretis

Jegretis

Meh, I still use alot of luck based moves. I know I shouldn't, but for some reason I still end up using Sleep Powder and the other powders, which needs some pretty decent luck to pull off. I got called a "noob" at VGC 2011 for using them.
  14. Infinity.Cypher

Infinity.Cypher

Is there going to be a timer, like in VGC 2011?
  15. dingram

dingram

Most likely. No one wants an hour-long battle.
  16. Team Rocket Elite

Team Rocket Elite Data Integration Thought Entity
    is a Pokemon Researcher

Stalling won't work due to the timer. You aren't going to get very many Moody boosts before the timer runs out. Especially if your opponent starts taking 1 minute turns near the end.
  17. mattj

mattj blatant Nintendo fanboy

Just take care of politoed first (abomasnow / lickilicky / etc) and then bring him in to stomp on things.
  18. Cannonfodder

Cannonfodder

Lickilicky???? Please explain
  19. R Inanimate

R Inanimate Grasp the earth, Grasp the World.
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Lickilicky's Dream World Ability is Cloud Nine, which negates weather as long as it is in play.

It also learns Power Whip, which can deal heavy damage to Politoed.
  20. DERPMaSTER

DERPMaSTER

kings rock aerodactyl. winning all the games.
  21. Unreality

Unreality not hatching shiny values, go away

fixed that for you
  22. Dozz

Dozz Has anyone in this family ever seen a chicken?
    is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus

Taking bets on how long until it becomes a really centralized meta. Seeing some teams already shaping up in very similar manners.

I hope it doesnt, but I can just see some things becoming extraordinarily popular. I, on the other hand, will be repping the weird and wonderful as much as I can, while still having a viable team.
  23. Huy

Huy INSTANT BALLS
    is a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus

Even if it does centralize a bit, that won't be as much of a problem as it was in 2011. With so many Pokemon, there's alot you can do to counter the centralized metagame as the Japanese did in 2009.
  24. soul_survivor

soul_survivor

Probably season two of Regionals, but being all regionals are being done at the same time unless a group of players make a top team(like top-ogre) you won't be seeing players running the same common crap 1st season round, and some pretty unique stuff. Then by nats, and worlds you'll be seeing teams that are actually thought out instead of look 1st place team copia pasta.
  25. Aureolin

Aureolin

I dream one day there will be singles... I'd even take the 3v3 version of singles >.>

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)