VGC 2012 rules up!

Team Rocket Elite

Data Integration Thought Entity
is a Top Researcher Alumnus
I'm curios - why is Sky Drop banned? I mean, it makes both the user and the opponent's mon to dodge all attacks, and it's a weak move.

I guess Sky Drop can establish a desirable match-up with the mons that are still landed. However, the opponent's landed mon can simply Protect until the airborne mons come down.
There's a glitch that involves Sky Drop and Gravity. They opted to go with banning Sky Drop to workaround it.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm really liking this year's rules. Having more fun with it than I ever had in VGC '11.

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Meanwhile, I'll be not determining my games with a coin flip.

It's almost impossible to stall in doubles for long, so if you don't get the boosts you need within the first turn or two, you're in trouble unless you have a backup strategy.

iss

let's play bw lc!
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
An evasion boost is not so overpowering in VGC due to the ability to double target something. Same with Substitute/Protect stalling- it doesn't work unless you get extremely lucky.

An evasion boost is not so overpowering in VGC due to the ability to double target something. Same with Substitute/Protect stalling- it doesn't work unless you get extremely lucky.
Pretty much this. I have battled many teams designed around taking as much advantage of moody as possible (entrainment, follow me/rage powder, protect/sub, spore, etc.) and even when they beat me (not very often), they needed to get very lucky several times in a row in order to do so. I feel like the people who go on this forum (maybe not all of them but certainly the best ones) are good enough that they should use a team that allows them to outplay an opponent rather than just rolling the dice and hoping to get lucky.

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
Plus multi target attacks mean you don't even have to target the +evasion mon to have 2 chances to hit it.

soul_survivor

VGCPL Champion
Most people that say haha Moody isn't ban....So broken, are usually people who don't have experience in doubles. Besides if your playing 9 rounds(considering max players) chances of you get lucky on all of them is rare.

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
From what I've played Tyranitar is still amazing in this metagame. Even though it gets plagued by the omnipresent water attacks (though it can take them on with Sandstorm raging), Fighting type moves, and Metagross, Tyranitar's Sand Stream support is still very valuable. It also counters top threats such as Latios and Zapdos as well.

Pretty much this. I have battled many teams designed around taking as much advantage of moody as possible (entrainment, follow me/rage powder, protect/sub, spore, etc.) and even when they beat me (not very often), they needed to get very lucky several times in a row in order to do so. I feel like the people who go on this forum (maybe not all of them but certainly the best ones) are good enough that they should use a team that allows them to outplay an opponent rather than just rolling the dice and hoping to get lucky.
Meh, I still use alot of luck based moves. I know I shouldn't, but for some reason I still end up using Sleep Powder and the other powders, which needs some pretty decent luck to pull off. I got called a "noob" at VGC 2011 for using them.

Team Rocket Elite

Data Integration Thought Entity
is a Top Researcher Alumnus
Stalling won't work due to the timer. You aren't going to get very many Moody boosts before the timer runs out. Especially if your opponent starts taking 1 minute turns near the end.

R Inanimate

It's Lunatic Time
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Lickilicky's Dream World Ability is Cloud Nine, which negates weather as long as it is in play.

It also learns Power Whip, which can deal heavy damage to Politoed.

Dozz

Has anyone in this family ever seen a chicken?
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Taking bets on how long until it becomes a really centralized meta. Seeing some teams already shaping up in very similar manners.

I hope it doesnt, but I can just see some things becoming extraordinarily popular. I, on the other hand, will be repping the weird and wonderful as much as I can, while still having a viable team.

Huy

INSTANT BALLS
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Even if it does centralize a bit, that won't be as much of a problem as it was in 2011. With so many Pokemon, there's alot you can do to counter the centralized metagame as the Japanese did in 2009.

soul_survivor

VGCPL Champion
Taking bets on how long until it becomes a really centralized meta. Seeing some teams already shaping up in very similar manners.

I hope it doesnt, but I can just see some things becoming extraordinarily popular. I, on the other hand, will be repping the weird and wonderful as much as I can, while still having a viable team.
Probably season two of Regionals, but being all regionals are being done at the same time unless a group of players make a top team(like top-ogre) you won't be seeing players running the same common crap 1st season round, and some pretty unique stuff. Then by nats, and worlds you'll be seeing teams that are actually thought out instead of look 1st place team copia pasta.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)