VGC 2013 USA regionals revealed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Source: http://nuggetbridge.com/news/vgc-13-season-to-include-3-regional-dates/

Fall

October 14th, 2012

Indiana (Ft. Wayne)
Northern California (San Jose – Santa Clara County Fairgrounds)
Ontario (Toronto)
Pennsylvania (Philadelphia – Philadelphia Convention Center)
Texas (Houston)

Winter

January 20th, 2013

Florida (Lake Buena Vista – Royal Plaza)
Missouri (St. Louis area, Unconfirmed)
Oregon (Salem – The Pavilion at Oregon State Fair and Expo)
Virginia (Sandston – DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Richmond Airport)

Spring

April 14th, 2013

British Columbia (Vancouver area)
Georgia (Athens – Classic Center)
Massachusetts (Foxborough – Gilette Center)
Southern California
Wisconsin (Madison)
Utah (Salt Lake City)

Also, it seems the WC will be in Vancouver, Canada.

For Europe, nothing is known yet.

damn it, I only have a month to prepare for a tournament that has no set rules. Now I *kinda* know how people felt for fall regionals last year. On the plus side, half or more of my team is legal, so all I have to do is change movesets (really only heatwave). Prepare for sand vs. sun(?) and lots of it!

Black and White game cartridges are being used for October Regionals, well for Houston at least, meaning the rules will be the current GBU metagame. They may change that halfway through the season, and they very well can, but that's what I've been told to and want to believe.

Colorado doesn't have regionals this year.
Salt Lake City, UT is April 14th.

EDIT: also, Utah is the only spring regional in the west. Wisconsin or Canada are the next closest.

Black and White game cartridges are being used for October Regionals, well for Houston at least, meaning the rules will be the current GBU metagame. They may change that halfway through the season, and they very well can, but that's what I've been told to and want to believe.
I would rather have GBU rules anyways.

evan

I did my best -- I have no regrets
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Colorado doesn't have regionals this year.
Salt Lake City, UT is April 14th.

EDIT: also, Utah is the only spring regional in the west. Wisconsin or Canada are the next closest.
Thanks for this. The article has been updated to reflect this new information. I'm assuming this means that SoCal would be moved to the Winter regional -- let me know if I've got that wrong.

Also,
We haven't received any corroboration or confirmation that this is official at this point.

^
That may be true, but giving people only seven days to get to the point where they can trade and have level 50 mons obey them seems like it's pushing the boundaries. Not only that, but I'm sure not everybody is going to buy on release. So BW1 is okay by me, but I want it to change as soon as possible.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, these aren't fully confirmed (are they?) as the official site has said nothing.

Evan, one question. Last year European sites were revealed together with the American ones. Is possible to get the European sites already too?

evan

I did my best -- I have no regrets
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Evan, one question. Last year European sites were revealed together with the American ones. Is possible to get the European sites already too?
Since the American dates are now being run by local PTOs, we've been getting our information from various sources involved in running those events on a local level. European events, by all accounts, are still being run by TPCi so we'll have to wait for TPCi to confirm those.

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
^
That may be true, but giving people only seven days to get to the point where they can trade and have level 50 mons obey them seems like it's pushing the boundaries. Not only that, but I'm sure not everybody is going to buy on release. So BW1 is okay by me, but I want it to change as soon as possible.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, these aren't fully confirmed (are they?) as the official site has said nothing.
Disregarding the fact that it only took me about 8 hours to beat the game in Japanese (meaning I didn't understand a word of what was going on), badge/level restrictions don't apply in multiplayer, so you only need to get far enough to trade. And I would imagine that anyone who's serious enough about the game to go to VGC in the first place would probably buy it right away.

And even if it is still BW1, that doesn't mean they can't change the format.

Disregarding the fact that it only took me about 8 hours to beat the game in Japanese (meaning I didn't understand a word of what was going on), badge/level restrictions don't apply in multiplayer, so you only need to get far enough to trade. And I would imagine that anyone who's serious enough about the game to go to VGC in the first place would probably buy it right away.

And even if it is still BW1, that doesn't mean they can't change the format.
I actually didn't know that badge restrictions didn't apply in multiplayer, not that it really matters to me, I almost never battle before I have all the badges anyway. That's true that the people serious about going to VGC would probably buy ASAP, but that kills the whole demographic of casual players who want to go to VGC but only have the one nearby in San Jose.

Changing the format would work, there's no denying that. The problem lies with what the current format is believed to be (Beginning Cup, no Ubers). Unless TPCi posts the Unova dex for BW2, odds are very few people are going to know what is or isn't banned.

I'm excited for VGC either way, and luckily I'm one of the people who prepares last second anyway, so I shouldn't have a problem making (read: reusing) a team in a week.

Well, already planned on Ft. Wayne and Madison (Since I live here). Can't make any of the winter ones since my classes start literally within a week, and I have work... poop.

Japan's All-Star Cup uses the 301 Pokémon in the expanded Unova dex (no bans) so there's hope for the people that want to use Genesect for whatever ridiculous reason.

I got into an argument with my brother over whether it would be fair to compete in the October regionals if it's expanded Unova dex only. He says he wouldn't compete because it would be too easy, because of the people who don't know what's legal until a week before regionals. I say that most serious players would have memorized the list by now anyway, just in case. He says that the expanded Unova dex is a spoiler (serious troll logic there) and would not be posted by TPCi prior to October 7 under any circumstances. Which is complete crap.

Haha if that is the case I wouldn't be surprised but it is a serious difference between what the community wants and what TCPi thinks we want.

Thanks for this. The article has been updated to reflect this new information. I'm assuming this means that SoCal would be moved to the Winter regional -- let me know if I've got that wrong.
That is right. The site shows Wisconsin as unconfirmed - I don't know about the city, but Wisconsin is confirmed for April.

Well, if anyone is going through Arizona to any of the Cali, Texas, or Colorado ones (even Oregon if someone is driving that way), I need a ride...mind you I don't drive (I kinda stink at it), but I can help pay for gas/rooms and whatever. PM me if anyone's planning something...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)